Author Topic: Favorite Video Game  (Read 767 times)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Favorite Video Game
« on: August 12, 2012, 05:09:48 PM »
I've been playing video games since 1981. I've played a lot in that time period, and I think my favorite video game of all time would be Resident Evil 4 (2005). I've been playing it for almost a year now. Have beaten the "normal" version 32 times, 28 of which are back-to-back. I like long games. The first time playing it was when I had a rare form of psoriasis, and I was in bed 95% of the time. No cheat sheets, or anything. The first time beating it it took me 17 hours (not straight) but I think that's 'cause I didn't know I could run. I walked the entire game; which took a lot of my lives in the process.

I've now been playing the "pro" version, that took 10 hours to beat (not straight) but mainly 'cause I spent a lot of time in the shooting range.

The only 2 things I don't like about the game is:

1. the puzzles are too easy. Unlike in previous RE games.

2. Ashley (President's daughter) is taken too many times.

Past favorite games:

1. Montezuma
2. Resident Evil 2
3. Star Wars: Episode 1
4. Faxanadu
5. Half-Life

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
Re: Favorite Video Game
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 06:21:10 PM »
Favorite game? Metal Gear Solid.

2. Half-Life 2
3. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
4. Chrono Trigger
5. Final Fantasy VI
6. Yoshi's Island

Lately I've been playing Resident Evil 5 in my spare time when I don't feel like reading.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 06:38:09 PM »
Haven't gotten to RE 5 yet. Soon, soon...

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 07:08:23 PM »
I loved the Half-Life games. Those are the only video games I really played. Half-Life 2 was amazing, however I say this without comparing it to other video games (other than the rest of the Half-Life games). I gotta find my install disks and play them again.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 07:39:58 PM »

You definitely need to play with another human being. The game sticks you with an AI partner that will waste your ammo and put you in a bind. Every. Single. Level. When you get it let me know and we can do a coop online!
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 08:00:14 PM »
I forgot to mention, I also love Diablo II.

-Nam

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 08:47:51 PM »
Pacman on the Atari 5200.
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 09:06:28 PM »
I miss Atari. Also played some good games on Commodore 64, like Darkman and Metal Gear.

-Nam

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 09:49:11 PM »
In no particular order:

1. Mass Effect 2, 3 would have replaced this if not for the shitty ending
2. X-Com, UFO defense
3. Star Wars:Galaxies
4. Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim
5. Masters of Orion

I feel like I am forgetting some that I usually put in my "top 5" list of games. 

I really did NOT like RE5!  It pissed me off the whole way though with some of its quirks then I got to ... I think second to last boss, beat him after several tries.  The thing did not autosave, I died and it put me back before the fight.  I sat the control down, said EFF this game and never played it again.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline oogabooga

• Graduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • I doubt, therefore I might be.
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 08:22:08 AM »
I think I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb here, but my favourite games so far are:

Planescape Torment
Baldur's Gate (I, II and expansions)
Morrowind (and expansions)
Skyrim
The Longest Journey
Stonekeep
Gothic (all of them)
Fallout (also all of them)

Apart from Torment, which is my favourite game of all times, they're in no particular order.
Excreta Occurs

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 08:48:48 AM »
In no particular order:

2. X-Com, UFO defense
5. Masters of Orion

Oh yes indeedy!  I still play X-Com and enjoy it.  And I'll bet you missed out Star Control 2 from your list of greats!   ;)

Other great games I've played include Bloodbowl, Magic the Gathering (the "walking around the world" quest version), Grand Prix 3, and Railroad Tycoon.  And Doom.  And Lords of Chaos. 

These days though, I spend most of my time playing Pirates of the Burning Sea.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 08:52:55 AM »
no particular order

baldurs gate
morrowwind
dragon age origins
half-life 2+ episodes

and torchlight for a surprisingly OK cheapy (dumbed down but OK)

it's obvious I am gonna hafta get skyrim eventually

here's a couple of different ones that I very highly recommend

Machinarium a very cute puzzler http://machinarium.net/demo/

Armadillo Run a really great simple physics engine puzzler http://www.armadillorun.com/
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 08:56:11 AM by kin hell »
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline oogabooga

• Graduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • I doubt, therefore I might be.
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2012, 09:19:29 AM »
Machinarium is too cute for words.
Excreta Occurs

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2012, 10:19:55 AM »

Oh yes indeedy!  I still play X-Com and enjoy it.  And I'll bet you missed out Star Control 2 from your list of greats!   ;)

Star Control 2 was a game that I never actually owned, but rented like 10 separate times for my SNES... The vs. on it was awesome *launch fighters*.

Thats because X-Com is absolutely amazing. One of the few games from that era that truely hold up, and honestly.... I know I said "no particular order" on my list, but damned if it wouldn't be trying awful hard for the top spot.  Not sure if you were aware, but they are actually doing a pretty faithful remake of the original http://www.xcom.com/enemyunknown/ Its not "same game, new graphics", but definitely appears to be a very thoughtful re-imaging.  I have watched interviews with the lead designer of the game and its obvious he was a huge fan of the original... To say I am excited for October 9 is a VAST understatement.

Kin, stop what you are doing and go get Skyrim right now (my tip, dont rush though the main quest, soak it all in)... we will see you in a few months.

oogabooga, LOVE fallout.  Missed out on the oldschool ones, but FO3, and particularly New Vegas ate a lot of my time!
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 10:23:21 AM by Garja »
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 11:24:01 AM »

-Nam

I didn't think it was worth it to be honest. I loved the Resident Evil games, but I think they've strayed too far from the original gameplay. Yes, the controls were horrible, but that it actually added to the hyperconstriction the game was trying to create. RE5 still has "oh shi-!" moments, but you feel like you're too much in control of the situation and the FPS gameplay has influenced it too much (though yes, it's still a 3rd person shooter).

My top games (in no particular order)
Final Fantasy 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 (11 tooks loooooooooads of my time) - anything after 11? Didn't like.
Resident Evil 1, 2 & 3
Monkey Island 1 & 2
Neverwinter Nights + All Expansions
Summoner - a bit underrated in my opinion (it was awesome though)
Mass Effect 1, 2 & 3 - I think 3's ending could have been improved a lot, but it was still an amazing game. I give away any spoilers, but the game really knows how to create an emotional connection between you and the characters and feel involved with the game to a degree where you are able to feel genuine guilt. In that sense it's really powerful. If you've made mistakes in your choices in the earlier games, you can later pay for it. One of my choices in Mass Effect 2 had a really horrible effect in Mass Effect 3 where I had to make a very difficult choice (after one of the reaper fights, people who have played it will know what I mean). I actually felt really bad, despite it all being completely fictional.
Sonic Adventure - the only decent 3D Sonic IMO.
Lost Odyssey - Made by ex-Square Enix developers who worked on the decent FF games. Nobuo Uematsu included. Very good game. Best JRPG on the XBox 360 IMO. Gets depressing at times, I know the end of disk one even made some people cry.
Dawn of War - I'm not a big RTS gamer, but this was pretty awesome.
Nier - A Square Enix title, but an interesting, odd, but different game. It has some gameplay elements to Devil May Cry, but remains a completely different game. It has great storytelling, interesting plot, well voice acted characters (but I did find Emile to be annoying) and the boss fights were pretty awesome. It has sad moments, as you'd expect from a JRPG, but they're done relatively well (some JRPGs like, Star Ocean 4, can really milk it and you're just thinking 'stop your whining emo kid'). The game has a few references to the zelda games, which make you laugh when you spot them. The boss fights are a big selling point, they can be pretty diverse and require different kinds of tactics and they all named after characters from children's folk tales.One boss pretty much made it feel as though you were playing a shoot-em up.
There was an interesting part of the game where everybody in the town contracted a disease that pretty much turns everything into prose, kind of like a text adventure - it's actually one of the boss fights. So you'll see what I mean when I say this game is odd. It didn't get great reviews, but I thought it was a lot of fun and different from all the other RPGs on my shelf.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 12:10:29 PM »

Mass Effect 1, 2 & 3 - I think 3's ending could have been improved a lot, but it was still an amazing game. I give away any spoilers, but the game really knows how to create an emotional connection between you and the characters and feel involved with the game to a degree where you are able to feel genuine guilt. In that sense it's really powerful. If you've made mistakes in your choices in the earlier games, you can later pay for it. One of my choices in Mass Effect 2 had a really horrible effect in Mass Effect 3 where I had to make a very difficult choice (after one of the reaper fights, people who have played it will know what I mean). I actually felt really bad, despite it all being completely fictional.

I have never played a game series that was able to get me as emotionally connected to its characters than the Mass Effect series.  And yes, I know exactly what moment you are talking about... I didn't experience it on my play troughs, but I have seen the vids and that is an emotional mothertrucking scene!!! (In spite of the two characters involved not having "faces" in the traditional sense).
I thought the ending that 3 shipped with was a huge Eff you to the fans, felt like a solid kick in the junk.  The newly released DLC ending helped dramatically.

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Energized

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +29/-1
  • Enma Ai is GOD!
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 01:48:23 PM »
God of War

LOVE this series - great story line and fairly easy to play.

Runner up - MarioKart.

I love playing this with my two boys. My eldest (10 years old) kicks my ass EVERY FRIKKEN TIME (his head swells every time too)! That is, until we play worldwide; then he gets his ass handed to him on a platter.

E.
'O pitiful shadow lost in the darkness,
Bringing torment and pain to others.
O damned soul wallowing in your sin.
Perhaps it is time to die?'

~Enma Ai, Jigoku Shoujo

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 01:57:01 PM »

1. NCAA College Football
2. Madden NFL Football
3. NBA 2K
4. Tetris
5. The SIMs
6. Roller Coaster Tycoon

Offline Energized

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +29/-1
  • Enma Ai is GOD!
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2012, 03:23:48 PM »

1. NCAA College Football
2. Madden NFL Football
3. NBA 2K
4. Tetris
5. The SIMs
6. Roller Coaster Tycoon

Have you ever played SimTower?

E.
'O pitiful shadow lost in the darkness,
Bringing torment and pain to others.
O damned soul wallowing in your sin.
Perhaps it is time to die?'

~Enma Ai, Jigoku Shoujo

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2012, 04:55:11 PM »
I have never played a game series that was able to get me as emotionally connected to its characters than the Mass Effect series.  And yes, I know exactly what moment you are talking about... I didn't experience it on my play troughs, but I have seen the vids and that is an emotional mothertrucking scene!!! (In spite of the two characters involved not having "faces" in the traditional sense).
I thought the ending that 3 shipped with was a huge Eff you to the fans, felt like a solid kick in the junk.  The newly released DLC ending helped dramatically.

Makes me want to play Mass Effect 2 again just to right that wrong. I suspect the non-ME2 imported playthrough doesn't cut out the option I needed. If not, then Bioware are cruel people. ;) The really annoying this is, in ME2, those two characters were always the ones I picked for my team and the ones I generally liked. Still, it is excellent storytelling, it's a rare skill to be able to make somebody care for the characters in something fictional. Something I hope to be able to emulate as a writer. ;)

I managed to avoid the 'bad' ending as the extended cut was out when I finally got around to playing it (it was sat on my shelf for a while). Still, I think the ending was disappointing, I am thinking it could have been fleshed out. Still, it's better from what I've heard of the original ending sequence.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2012, 05:17:26 PM »
In no particular order:

1. Mass Effect 2, 3 would have replaced this if not for the shitty ending
2. X-Com, UFO defense
3. Star Wars:Galaxies
4. Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim
5. Masters of Orion

I feel like I am forgetting some that I usually put in my "top 5" list of games. 

I really did NOT like RE5!  It pissed me off the whole way though with some of its quirks then I got to ... I think second to last boss, beat him after several tries.  The thing did not autosave, I died and it put me back before the fight.  I sat the control down, said EFF this game and never played it again.

If you're talking about Resident Evil, I don't think it has an "autosave". I mean, in most gamesi play on RE4, I save at the nearest typewriter I can find, and I do it a lot. I just finished my 2nd round of the "pro" version on RE4, I saved it 125 times. Of course on the first RE game, I save rarely 'cause you don't get the inks too often 'til near the end.

The 2nd, and 4th are my favorites, though. I used to play the 2nd one all the time on my PS.

-Nam

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2012, 05:25:34 PM »
God of War

LOVE this series - great story line and fairly easy to play.

Runner up - MarioKart.

I love playing this with my two boys. My eldest (10 years old) kicks my ass EVERY FRIKKEN TIME (his head swells every time too)! That is, until we play worldwide; then he gets his ass handed to him on a platter.

E.

I think Mariokart cheats. I mean, you get the fastest most powerful vehicle, and the little baby ones go faster and difficult to handle. I beat the game with the baby mario/luigi team. All levels. And, the same car.

-Nam

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2012, 05:33:23 PM »
Favorite?  I've sat here for 5 minutes really trying to decide.  I'm gonna have to say Secret of Evermore for the SNES.  I'm a big fan of adventure games and SOE is a game I've made a point to play through at least once a year since I got it years ago.

The other I was really considering is Fallout 3.  I could get lost in that game for months just walking around, taking in the scenery, meeting some random person in the middle of nowhere.  I don't know how many times I was about to stop playing for the day but I just had to see what was around the next rock or find out what that shiny thing in the distance was.  That would lead me to continue playing for another hour or so.

To round out a top three Earthbound for the SNES is a game I've also tried to make a point to play through at least once a year.  Another adventure game with some great humor and I always dread getting to the end of the game cause I know the adventure is almost over.

Honorable mentions.  Which means if you don't like these games you're not my friend.
Morrowind (I have a character with over 100 hours put into him)
Final Fantasy 1 and 3 or 6 however you want to view it
Super Mario 64
Every Legend of Zelda game (CDI doesn't count)
Borderlands (yea the story sucks, game is stuff a lot of fun)
No More Heroes
Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2
Doom 2
probably others but these are what I can think of off the top of my head
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #23 on: August 13, 2012, 05:48:58 PM »

Kin, stop what you are doing and go get Skyrim right now (my tip, dont rush though the main quest, soak it all in)... we will see you in a few months.

my bold

exactly why I am hesitant  ;)

no time at the moment vs. no discipline ever
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Gohavesomefun

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2012, 07:04:31 PM »
Gah, too many to name, so heres an unordered list:

Deus Ex
Starcraft 1/2
Civilization 2
Warcraft 3
Half Life
Urban Assault
Pokemon: Yellow
Enclave
Left for Dead
Sonic 1/2/3
Oblivion/Skyrim
Command and Conquer Series
Diablo 1/2
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Counter Srike
World Of Warcraft
Star Wars: Jedi Knight Jedi Outcast II
Grand Theft Auto series
Gran Turismo
Shogun Total War
Age of Empires

I have to stop there, nostalgia is going to keep me up all night.
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. ”
A. Einstein

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2012, 07:09:52 PM »
I never really cared for the 1st Diablo game, it's probably 'cause I played the 2nd one before it.

-Nam

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2012, 09:22:12 PM »

If you're talking about Resident Evil, I don't think it has an "autosave"....

-Nam

IDK, I have forgotten the particulars, I just remember it pissed me off more than juuuuust about any game id ever played, so I quit and sold it to GameStop.

Seppuku,

I THINK you can change the outcome just by playing ME3 and not going back to play ME2.  I think you just have to have a high enough readiness score at the time of that event. 

exactly why I am hesitant  ;)

no time at the moment vs. no discipline ever

Not going to lie, it will consume your soul... but so worth it. 

« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 09:24:05 PM by Garja »

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2012, 01:25:33 AM »
I THINK you can change the outcome just by playing ME3 and not going back to play ME2.  I think you just have to have a high enough readiness score at the time of that event. 

From what I've read/heard, there 2 things you need to have got right in ME2, I got one of them but not the other. I can try for a high readiness score on my next play through before I do that mission, but it sounds like the former is more likely.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2012, 01:57:27 AM »
From the ancient C64 days: I destroyed many a joystick with those olympics games. Then there was five-a-side footy and some football manager that I forgot the name of. But I think I didn't play any game more than Defender of the Crown. And of course, Archon!!!

Then, the early PC days. There was this small time English company called Wizards or something, they had a Formula one and an international football sim (text only), played those loads. Centurion: Defender of Rome was a favorite too.
And of course ... CIV!!!!
Speaking of Sid Meier ... Do I need to say it? Pirates! Once had me a career that had my personal fortune go over maxint into the negative :):):)
Wolvenstein and Doom, of course ... someone hand me a chainsaw!!!

Later there was Civ II and IV, Ascendency and Silent Hunter. Had me some epic battles on that last one.

These days, if I play on PC, it's Total War: Rome or Europa Universalis II.
Won Rome with about half the factions in the game. Am currently kicking Rome's ass with Armenia ... getting some payback for Tigranocert!!!
EUII ... my best run was with Burgundy, literally conquered half the planet. Had me some awesome battle with France and Austria early on.

Have recently obtained an Xbox + Kinect (for the kids, you know) and on that, I'm currently playing FIFA 09 (basically the same game as the 13 version, only for 1/30th of the price :) )

Oh, and online, there's Hattrick and VOW, a text based wrestling game ... though, when I still played that, the chat function was more interresting than the game itself. About half my FB friends are people I first met on VOW.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.