Author Topic: The Way To Perfection  (Read 429 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
The Way To Perfection
« on: August 11, 2012, 05:14:53 PM »
I think of Mitt Romney becoming our[1] next president, and all the questions he's asked about his religion and the obvious racism against black people that he dodges or ignores, and I wonder if he believes in his religion so much that he is in fact a racist. Perhaps he's not but since he won't answer the questions asked, it makes one wonder...or, at least it does for me.

The Way To Perfection by Joseph Fielding Smith

Millions of souls have come into the world cursed with black skin and have been denied the privilege of Priesthood[2] and the fulness of the blessings of the Gospel. These are the descendants of Cain.[3]
 2. in the Mormon Church
 3. p. 101

Moreover, they have been made to feel their inferiority and have been seperated from the rest of mankind from the beginning.[4]
 4. p. 101

The curse placed on Cain was continued in his posterity and that through the seed of Ham the curse was brought through the flood.[5]
 5. p. 103

Jacob 3:5 Book of Mormon

...whom ye hate because of their filthiness and the cursing which hath come upon their skins...

-Nam
 1. those who are american
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
Re: The Way To Perfection
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 06:08:51 PM »
I wish I could but I just cant force myself to read the Book of Mormon because I know the story of how it was created. However, I do hope they put his belief system to the forefront like they put Reverand Wright in 2008. Perhaps one day.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 06:27:17 PM »
I have only a passing knowledge of Mormonism... something about God being a flesh and blood being from another planet who impregnated Mary the old fashion way, gold plates in a hat that only Joesph Smith was permitted to look at, Jesus in the Americas after the resurrection, Jesus and Satan are brothers, God would immediately strike down a white man for lying with a black woman.  Pretty wacky stuff.... I mean, I guess not that much further out of whack than a virgin birth, triune God, or talking snakes.... but still.

Anyway, I have no idea if Romney is a racist in the traditional old-south kinda way, but I dont think he puts individuals on the darker end of the color spectrum with himself... not sure if thats "better" or just "less honest".
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 06:43:21 PM »
Why do people keep on bringing up the south? Racism exists everwhere, not just the southern US.

Click on http://stormfront.org if you still think it primarily reside in the southern US. Talk about prejudice!

I once knew a girl who actually asked me if I was racist solely on the fact I'm southern. Not just to ask, as one does when becoming friendly with someone but solely based on the fact I'm southern. As if racism didn't exist where she lived in California. And, she wasn't the first person not from the south to ask such a pathetic question. I guessto non-southerners: everyone in the south is automatically racist.

To the topic: I just learned the primary reason why the LDS accepted blacks to the Priesthood in 1978 was because they were opening a "Temple" in Brazil, which has a large black population. They didn't feel they could convert anyone to the LDS if it was led by a white person.

-Nam

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 07:02:00 PM »
I think tithing is pretty big with Mormans.  Does Mitt give up 10% to the church?
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2012, 07:13:13 PM »
^he doesn't talk about that. Actually, when it comes to his Mormonism, he's pretty tight lipped.

-Nam

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2012, 10:36:05 PM »
Why do people keep on bringing up the south? Racism exists everwhere, not just the southern US.

-Nam

Had a feeling you were going to call me out on that even as I typed it.

I thought I was pretty obviously talking about a stereotype, not using it, but I guess not.

I thought id made it clear in an earlier post that I have absolutely no problem with people from the south, and to go further I make absolutely no prejudgement on people based purely on their latitude.  That said, "the south" does have a particular historical distinction (note that my post said "OLD south") that carried it well into the 20th century with regard to preventing certain groups from equal participation.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 08:42:54 AM »
What seems ironic is the fact that Obama is the only protestant on the ticket this year.  Mittens is a Mormon and the 2 vp candidates are Catholic.  The Christian Right must be very confused.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 09:33:31 AM »
^If speaking with my mother is any indication, they prefer to pretend "Mormon" is equivalent to "Baptist", or "Methodist" and not something different entirely.  Of course I think in the back of her mind she still thinks that Obama is a closet Muslim despite vast amounts of evidence to the contrary... reminds me of her other religious beliefs, but thats a battle for another time.

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2012, 09:53:46 AM »
What seems ironic is the fact that Obama is the only protestant on the ticket this year.  Mittens is a Mormon and the 2 vp candidates are Catholic.  The Christian Right must be very confused.

The right wingers are now claiming that Obama has declared war on religion. In their mind Obama is a Muslim or atheist or something. I don't know ... I can't keep track of their nonsense.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2012, 10:03:48 AM »
^ If its not a war on religion, how else do you explain allowing women control over their own decisions about birth control?  Huh? Cant answer that can ya? It is a clear attempt at preventing the will of the LORD for women to be barefoot and pregnant! Its an affront I tell you, an affront to God!

(That was obviously sarcastic right?)

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2012, 02:07:17 PM »
^Yes.

-Nam

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2012, 02:58:34 PM »
Want to know what mittens believes?

Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 03:01:31 PM »
I like the South Park version. Hilarious.

-Nam

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2012, 09:34:11 PM »
I like the South Park version. Hilarious.

-Nam

Honestly, I think South Park is the most intelligent show on on tv.  Im not sure if that's high praise or a condemnation of American television, but it really is pretty great.  Granted, it can be super-offensive; but once you get past the idea that being offensive is kinda the point, they actually his some of the most pressing social issues of our day.

Honestly, I am probably going to start work on a Masters in History in a few years and ive kicked around the idea of doing a thesis on social issues of South Park.  Its just a theory at this point and I would have to have an open minded prof to pull it off, but im considering it.

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline muchlove

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2012, 03:38:22 AM »
^he doesn't talk about that. Actually, when it comes to his Mormonism, he's pretty tight lipped.

-Nam

Actually, I did see a clip the other day where they discussed giving 10% of their income to the church.  Apparently, that is one piece of information they have been willing to disclose.  It was his wife discussing it in an interview.  As for everything else, pretty tight lipped as you mentioned.

"He’s a very generous person. We give 10 percent of our income to our church every year. Do you think that is the kind of person that is trying to hide things, or do things? No. He is so good about it. Then, when he was governor of Massachusetts, didn’t take a salary in the four years."

-Ann Romney

^ Pulled this quote from Huffington Post website.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 03:47:28 AM by muchlove »

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +465/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2012, 05:46:51 AM »

-Nam

Actually, I did see a clip the other day where they discussed giving 10% of their income to the church.  Apparently, that is one piece of information they have been willing to disclose.  It was his wife discussing it in an interview.  As for everything else, pretty tight lipped as you mentioned.

"He’s a very generous person. We give 10 percent of our income to our church every year. Do you think that is the kind of person that is trying to hide things, or do things? No. He is so good about it. Then, when he was governor of Massachusetts, didn’t take a salary in the four years."

-Ann Romney

^ Pulled this quote from Huffington Post website.
I don't want to be over cynical but his wife only says that he did not take a salary: perhaps he diverted the salary to (partially) pay the 10% tithe... I think we should be told...
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline lomolo

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2012, 05:04:43 PM »
Want to know what mittens believes?

[video]

Here's what MC Hammer believes: