Author Topic: Please validate your belief in your God  (Read 44426 times)

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
Re: Please validate your belief in your God
« Reply #1276 on: March 22, 2013, 07:34:11 AM »
I need not articulate answers to the minutia brought about by the criminal defense councel when my argument was already made by solid Fox News reporting.  As always, my arguments are never quite as good as my proof.

The reason why external sites, links and videos are unaccaptable in isolation, is because a lot of the time they will rarely answer the actual question posed.  They can be useful when used in support, but need to be accompanied by explanation from the person posting them.  Another benefit of posting one's own comments is that it shows that (a) that person understood the question, and (b) that person understands the answer they were given.  Posting videos, however pertinent you believe them to be, will rarely answer a specific question - especially if the video was not constructed to answer the question in hand.

For this reason, we require on this site that any video that is posted is accompanied by an explanation of how that video supports the answer YOU are giving to the questions posed.

Speaking of which......half a dozen questions for you Wayne that you have not answered for me.  Do you intend to address them?  One at a time is fine, no need to respond to all at once.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 07:36:02 AM by Anfauglir »
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +645/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #1277 on: March 22, 2013, 10:00:40 AM »
Wayne is now banned. 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #1278 on: March 22, 2013, 10:16:01 AM »
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +256/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #1279 on: March 22, 2013, 10:23:59 AM »
Wayne is now banned. 

(Springy G bows in heartfelt respect to the moderation staff)  Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Any clerics on the board who have a "Restore Sanity" spell charged up?  Trade you a bottle of mead and some cookies.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #1280 on: March 22, 2013, 11:10:47 AM »
Yes, but Wayne can still vote.
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +645/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #1281 on: March 22, 2013, 11:17:11 AM »
Unfortunately, while I can ban him, I cannot have him deported.   It would be cool if I could...
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #1282 on: March 22, 2013, 11:34:58 AM »
Good thing he isn't in charge of our legal system.  I shudder to think how bad things would be with him using dream interpretation, visions, and unrelated coincidences to back up his rulings.

it would be something like this;

"Every old woman with a wrinkled face, a furrowed brow, a hairy lip, a gobber tooth, a squint eye, a squeaking voice or scolding tongue, having a rugged coat on her back, a skull-cap on her head, a spindle in her hand and a dog or cat by her side, is not only suspect but pronounced for a witch"

John Gaule in 'Select Cases of Conscience'

Bang on!   :laugh:
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Offline Tonus

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +28/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Stuff I draw
« Reply #1283 on: March 22, 2013, 12:57:12 PM »
Well, to be honest, Wayne did validate his belief in his god.  It's just that he did it the way every other theist does: god "revealed" himself to me personally, so BAM!!!  Validated!!!

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #1284 on: March 22, 2013, 02:13:24 PM »
Well, to be honest, Wayne did validate his belief in his god.  It's just that he did it the way every other theist does: god "revealed" himself to me personally, so BAM!!!  Validated!!!
Sorry not quite! Validate means to demonstrate or support the truth or value of a thing, he hadn't done that.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +809/-5
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #1285 on: March 22, 2013, 02:25:17 PM »
Unfortunately, while I can ban him, I cannot have him deported.   It would be cool if I could...
I would happily trade Wayne for any immigrant from any country. Or planet.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #1286 on: March 22, 2013, 03:13:27 PM »
Anyone missing Wayne can find him pushing his same old stuff on Twitter @WayneHarropson

His ambition is juts as great as you can see here. He expects to get an advance from a publisher for his book(s) based on the stories he was telling us - his 'premonitions'
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 03:16:16 PM by wheels5894 »
No testimony is sufficient to establish a miracle, unless the testimony be of such that its falshood would be more miraculous than the facts it endeavours to establish. (David Hume)

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +809/-5
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #1287 on: March 22, 2013, 04:02:48 PM »
I have a "premonition" that his book drafts will be hitting the virtual equivalent of the round file instead of hitting the best seller lists.....
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +645/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #1288 on: March 22, 2013, 10:24:47 PM »
He expects to get an advance from a publisher for his book(s) based on the stories he was telling us - his 'premonitions'

I would not be surprised if he did.  The religious have been victims of uncountable financial scams since the first prophet.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #1289 on: March 22, 2013, 11:18:45 PM »
He expects to get an advance from a publisher for his book(s) based on the stories he was telling us - his 'premonitions'

I would not be surprised if he did.  The religious have been victims of uncountable financial scams since the first prophet.

You spelled profit wrong  :)
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +533/-13
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1290 on: March 23, 2013, 12:00:00 AM »
Since the first prophet made a profit, then?

Offline caveat_imperator

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
« Reply #1291 on: March 23, 2013, 10:28:55 AM »
I expect wayne will pester whichever publisher he sends his insanity to about this fictional advance so much that the authorities will have to get involved. :police:
You can't prove a negative of an existence postulate.

Offline wheels5894

• Reader
  • Darwins +106/-1
« Reply #1292 on: March 23, 2013, 11:31:03 AM »
I expect wayne will pester whichever publisher he sends his insanity to about this fictional advance so much that the authorities will have to get involved. :police:

Yep, most likely. He's certainly keeping busy Tweeting links to his 'stories' to anyone who might read them. I imagine he sees himself as a great Christian writer who will help build the faith of church members with his stories when, in reality, they are nothing.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
« Reply #1293 on: March 23, 2013, 12:45:56 PM »
It is must be hard to be as wrong as Wayne is about everything and still function in life.

I have many friends with whom I disagree on matters of religion and politics. Yet we can still hold coherent conversations on both subjects. We can disagree without either of us uttering a constant stream of delusions. We are able to argue our points of view, and can see where the other person is coming from, even as we continue to disagree.

But Wayne's obsessions, be they with Obama the junior lawyer or Idi Amin or his gray car or the faked photo showing him with Clint Eastwood or his myriad premonitions, were over the top in every possible way. And his willingness to declare himself the winner based solely on the fact that he'd said something on the subject was astonishing. He never listened to our responses, because he predetermined that no other sources of information, no other opinions, no other possibilities, just plain nothing, ever needed to be considered again. He had spoken.

He is a man without curiosity, only answers. A man without understanding, only imagined brilliance. Which makes his above average ability to be civil (for a christian) all the more perplexing. How did he keep his cool when he had nothing to keep it in? He got a little snarky towards the end, but never resorted to actual profanity.

Don't get me wrong. He was very profane. Everything he wrote was profane. But without four letter words. Unique amongst the more ardent christians of the world, methinks.

I Would have waved bye-bye but he couldn't have seen me anyway. It is so dark where he keeps his head.

`
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +82/-1
« Reply #1294 on: March 23, 2013, 02:25:27 PM »
Yes, he was a very odd duck...it was almost as though he went off his meds and began a downward spiral into complete delusion and incoherence as soon as he started posting. He seemed to have semi-lucid moments at the start, even admitting that he knew his comments were made through a "Christian filter", but not outright stating that they were the only possible truth. But at the end he was simply deranged. A full-fledged conspiracy nutcase.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +503/-17
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #1295 on: March 23, 2013, 02:52:10 PM »
Wayne [...] is a man without curiosity, only answers. A man without understanding, only imagined brilliance.

We may be looking at the next Pat Robertson or Benny Hinn.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Tonus

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +28/-0
  • WWGHA Member
    • Stuff I draw
« Reply #1296 on: March 23, 2013, 04:03:28 PM »
Sorry not quite! Validate means to demonstrate or support the truth or value of a thing, he hadn't done that.

I meant that he 'validated' it to himself.  That is pretty much the only 'validation' you will get from theists: I saw it happen and therefore it's real.  I have no doubt that Wayne is sincerely convinced that because he can tenuously link his writings to random world events, he is being guided by god.

I admit, I have no explanation for why he'd come here just to tell us that he's totally convinced by his own arguments.

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #1297 on: March 23, 2013, 04:26:48 PM »
Quote from: Tonus
I admit, I have no explanation for why he'd come here just to tell us that he's totally convinced by his own arguments.
You and me both.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
« Reply #1298 on: March 23, 2013, 04:46:19 PM »

That is his side of it in a nutshell (pun intended). He seemed baffled that we weren't equally convinced. He thought it would be so simple. It worked on him.

If I ever say I am as convinced of something as Wayne was and tell you guys that it is because I said so, please shoot me. (That request is only for those amongst us who are not anti-gun  ;D)

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +533/-13
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #1299 on: March 23, 2013, 06:04:57 PM »
I won't shoot you, but I will hit your over the head with a nerf bat or something until you lose that certainty.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +256/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #1300 on: March 23, 2013, 06:32:53 PM »
Yes, he was a very odd duck...it was almost as though he went off his meds and began a downward spiral into complete delusion and incoherence as soon as he started posting. He seemed to have semi-lucid moments at the start, even admitting that he knew his comments were made through a "Christian filter", but not outright stating that they were the only possible truth. But at the end he was simply deranged. A full-fledged conspiracy nutcase.

Indeed.  If he's married I'm deeply afraid for the safety and happiness of his spouse and any children living in the home, and would advise them to do a "midnight move," with no forwarding address, at the first possible opportunity.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #1301 on: March 23, 2013, 08:26:37 PM »
I really don't see how Wayne can continue to insist with a straight face that Obama was responsible for wrecking the housing industry because he worked as an assistant clerk in a court case involving Citibank and some lendees.  It's like he thinks that everything that followed must have happened because of that one court case.  Well, we know how much Wayne likes his anecdotes.  I guess this one must have convinced him, just like all the other anecdotes convinced him of whatever he thought they were supposed to mean.

Good thing he isn't in charge of our legal system.  I shudder to think how bad things would be with him using dream interpretation, visions, and unrelated coincidences to back up his rulings.

My girlfriends father and I got into a slight debate this past weekend (I met him for the first time). He is a professing believer in "The Lord" and "The Word of God", who also happens to be (as is SO often the case) a conspiracy nut. It's always the vague use of the word "they". "Oh, they are out there doing evil to our country and our culture." "They are plotting to turn America into communist Russia." "They are ruining our youth and destroying America by design" (hello Alex Jones tard!). I couldn't help but how much he sounded JUST LIKE WAYNE! Well, to be more precise, he sounded like Wayne as I imagine his voice sounding. So irrational! Such credulity! So much gullibility and wishful thinking! WOW...

median

p.s. - Is Wayne banned permanently?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #1302 on: March 23, 2013, 08:36:23 PM »
It is must be hard to be as wrong as Wayne is about everything and still function in life.

I have many friends with whom I disagree on matters of religion and politics. Yet we can still hold coherent conversations on both subjects. We can disagree without either of us uttering a constant stream of delusions. We are able to argue our points of view, and can see where the other person is coming from, even as we continue to disagree.

But Wayne's obsessions, be they with Obama the junior lawyer or Idi Amin or his gray car or the faked photo showing him with Clint Eastwood or his myriad premonitions, were over the top in every possible way. And his willingness to declare himself the winner based solely on the fact that he'd said something on the subject was astonishing. He never listened to our responses, because he predetermined that no other sources of information, no other opinions, no other possibilities, just plain nothing, ever needed to be considered again. He had spoken.

He is a man without curiosity, only answers. A man without understanding, only imagined brilliance. Which makes his above average ability to be civil (for a christian) all the more perplexing. How did he keep his cool when he had nothing to keep it in? He got a little snarky towards the end, but never resorted to actual profanity.

Don't get me wrong. He was very profane. Everything he wrote was profane. But without four letter words. Unique amongst the more ardent christians of the world, methinks.

I Would have waved bye-bye but he couldn't have seen me anyway. It is so dark where he keeps his head.

`

Just as I was not too long ago, Wayne is a man who started with a conclusion (an arbitrary comfortable assumption, spoon-fed to him by his parents and church members). He, like nearly every other Christian I've ever known, made an emotional investment. And as for now, he cannot allow any matter of critical or rational thinking to get in the way of his investment. It's the infinite "because I say so" fallacy - designed to keep his precious presupposition shielded from the reality that is so close. Sad.

But you know what? It's good to know that while he is attempting to "pray" for us, we will be thinking for him.

median

p.s. - Where did he claim victory?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
« Reply #1303 on: March 23, 2013, 10:07:03 PM »
p.s. - Where did he claim victory?

That was my interpretation of his last post, where he said:

I think we should put this discussion to bed.  I need not articulate answers to the minutia brought about by the criminal defense councel when my argument was already made by solid Fox News reporting.  As always, my arguments are never quite as good as my proof.

Note: Of course this was his last post because he was banned shortly thereafter. I'm sure he would have been willing to repeat similar claims ad infinitum had we let him. Those of us entrusted with keeping things civil around here gave him every benefit of the doubt. But the only change he ever exhibited was an ongoing, sporadic recollection of yet more premonitions.

Added: The above from Wayne may not qualify as claiming victory for everything, but I think it was implied. Especially when he had no more to add. When people spend 45 minutes writing up a rebuttal to his claims and he dismisses those efforts with such short, casual and lofty claims, it is pretty clear progress is not possible.

And don't worry median. Other, more worthy opponents will appear. That's not a premonition, it is a fact. We'll do better soon.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 10:32:09 PM by ParkingPlaces »

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +645/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #1304 on: March 24, 2013, 10:34:35 AM »
p.s. - Is Wayne banned permanently?

Yes.  We tried giving him a time-out via moderation.  That didn't work.  It had the opposite effect of what we'd hoped.  He went full troll.  So a temporary ban seems unlikely to be effective.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials