Author Topic: Mooby's Level Of Christianity - What Does Mooby Sincerely Believe?  (Read 1295 times)

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Hey, Mooby!

Do you believe that the creator of the universe decreed this(biblegateway.com/New International Reader's Version)?

Numbers 31:

15 "Have you let all of the women remain alive?" Moses asked them. 16 "The women followed Balaam's advice. They caused the people of Israel to turn away from the Lord. The people worshiped the god Baal that was worshiped at Peor. So a plague struck them. 17 Kill all of the boys. And kill every woman who has made love to a man. 18 But save for yourselves every woman who has never made love to a man."
Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
Re: Mooby's Level Of Christianity - What Does Mooby Sincerely Believe?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 08:33:04 PM »
That end bit: so they can rape them, and impregnate them to bare children who would be of their religion and faith.

-Nam
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 08:34:35 PM by Nam »
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 08:50:04 PM »
Do you believe that the creator of the universe decreed this(biblegateway.com/New International Reader's Version)?
No, as I don't believe that Moses is the creator of the universe.
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 08:58:08 PM »
That end bit: so they can rape them, and impregnate them to bare children who would be of their religion and faith.

-Nam

Thanks for replying, Nam, and welcome back to the forum. But for us "normal" people, if one of the "sluts" was the most beautiful of the entire collection, and if one of the virgins was the ugliest of the entire collection, would you still prefer the virgin over the most beautiful non-virgin?[1]
 1. I know that this is a vacuous question, since we don't have a photo-catalogue of the conquered girls to view.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 09:05:11 PM »
Sorry, I'm not a rapist. I wouldn't choose either one. I'd be the guy stoned to death for being a heathen.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 09:09:27 PM »
No, as I don't believe that Moses is the creator of the universe.

1 The Lord spoke to Moses. He said, 2 "Pay the people of Midian back for what they did to the Israelites. After that, you will join the members of your family who have already died."

These are verses 1 and 2. You could possibly conclude that Moses went on a tangent of his own in verses 3-18:

3 So Moses said to the people, "Prepare some of your men for battle. They must go to war against Midian. They will carry out the Lord's plan to punish Midian. 4 Send 1,000 men from each of the tribes of Israel into battle." 5 So Moses prepared 12,000 men for battle. There were 1,000 from each tribe. They came from the families of Israel.

6 Moses sent them into battle. He sent 1,000 from each tribe. The priest Phinehas went along with them. Phinehas was the son of Eleazar. Phinehas took some articles from the sacred tent with him. He also took the trumpets. The trumpet blasts would tell the people what to do and when to do it.

7 They fought against Midian, just as the Lord had commanded Moses. They killed every man. 8 Evi, Rekem, Zur, Hur and Reba were among the men they killed. Those men were the five kings of Midian. The people of Israel also killed Balaam, the son of Beor, with a sword.

9 They captured the women and children of Midian. They took for themselves all of the herds, flocks and goods.

10 They burned up all of the towns where the people of Midian had settled. They also burned up all of their camps.

11 They carried off everything they had taken. That included the people and the animals. 12 They brought back to Israel's camp the prisoners and everything else they had taken. They took them to Moses and to the priest Eleazar. They brought them to the whole community. Israel was camped on the flatlands of Moab. They were by the Jordan River across from Jericho.

13 Moses and the priest Eleazar went to meet them outside the camp. So did all of the leaders of the community. 14 Moses was angry with the officers of the army who had returned from the battle. Some of them were the commanders of thousands of men. Others were the commanders of hundreds.

15 "Have you let all of the women remain alive?" Moses asked them. 16 "The women followed Balaam's advice. They caused the people of Israel to turn away from the Lord. The people worshiped the god Baal that was worshiped at Peor. So a plague struck them. 17 Kill all of the boys. And kill every woman who has made love to a man. 18 But save for yourselves every woman who has never made love to a man.

But, if you were the creator of the universe, wouldn't you make it extremely clear to the reader of "Your Word" that Moses went rogue on your ass?

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 09:17:09 PM »
But, if you were the creator of the universe, wouldn't you make it extremely clear to the reader of "Your Word" that Moses went rogue on your ass?
If I were the creator of the universe, and were writing a book, I'd probably follow Moses' speech with, "And then Mooby shoved his foot up Moses' ass for saying that."  Then I would entertain myself seeing if people took that literally 3000 years later.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 09:19:43 PM »
I think it'd depend on the size of the foot....or ass.

-Nam

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 09:23:16 PM »
I think it'd depend on the size of the foot....or ass.

-Nam
Well hell, if I'm writing the book, my foot'll be like a mile wide.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +312/-84
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 09:25:55 PM »
So, a tiny ass?

-Nam

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 09:42:16 PM »
If I were the creator of the universe, and were writing a book, I'd probably follow Moses' speech with, "And then Mooby shoved his foot up Moses' ass for saying that."  Then I would entertain myself seeing if people took that literally 3000 years later.

Your response wouldn't "rattle my cage" if it came from one of our atheist residents such as Nam or Nick or mram. It also doesn't "rattle my cage" coming from you either. You are either an atheist playing "Devil's Advocate" on this forum or you are a schizophrenic. Maybe some of our established, long-term residents already know this about you. I was just wanting to confirm to myself that you were a POE. Now that I have confirmed this to myself, keep up the good work, Mooby! You keep your fellow atheists limber and on their toes!

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 10:02:16 PM »
You created this thread just so you could claim I'm an atheist?  And that's supposed to offend me... how?  Am I supposed to make post after post swearing up and down I believe in God or something?

I'm glad that you've confirmed to yourself whatever you needed to confirm to put your mind at ease.

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 10:10:04 PM »
You created this thread just so you could claim I'm an atheist?  And that's supposed to offend me... how?  Am I supposed to make post after post swearing up and down I believe in God or something?

I'm glad that you've confirmed to yourself whatever you needed to confirm to put your mind at ease.

Thank you for this response. But, I already got what I needed from your previous response, you confirmed atheist Devil's Advocate.

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2012, 10:15:39 PM »
Thank you for this response. But, I already got what I needed from your previous response
A mile wide foot?  Because that was only an estimate.

Online JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +203/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2012, 10:23:07 PM »

If your foot was supernatural, you could shove it as far up Moses' ass as you want.  Why wouldn't it be taken literally?  :)

Thank you for this response. But, I already got what I needed from your previous response
A mile wide foot?  Because that was only an estimate.

With the Lord, an inch is like a mile, and a mile, like an inch. 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline Aerial

« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2012, 10:37:22 PM »
Lol Moobs, how dare you not be a stereotypical theist. shame on you.

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2012, 10:40:45 PM »
If your foot was supernatural, you could shove it as far up Moses' ass as you want.  Why wouldn't it be taken literally?  :)
Consider the source.

With the Lord, an inch is like a mile, and a mile, like an inch.
Cool!  That means I can have sex in the next county!

:'(

"Roses are red,
Violets are blue,
I'm a schizophrenic,
And so am I."
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 11:01:16 PM by Mooby »

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2012, 11:21:58 PM »
The truth and the metaphors arguement again FUCKING LAMESAUCE
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +403/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2012, 06:39:46 AM »
So Mooby isn't a fundamentalist who thinks the Bible is infallible.  So?  That doesn't make him an atheist or a Poe.  "Christianity" has always been a plural phenomenon, with the exception of a few brief periods of putative unity imposed during the late Roman Empire.  Even then, "the Church" had to have several Councils where compromise doctrines were hammered out and "heretics" excluded.  Some groups like the Nestorians and Coptics were never really homogenized into the fold, and Gnostic-flavored versions kept cropping up (e.g. the Cathars).  Nowadays, "Christianity" ranges from Fred Phelps to Bishop Shelby Spong.  Mooby sounds to me like he's closer to the Spong-ish end of the spectrum.

Why should atheists argue that the "Bible-believing"[1] Protestant fundamentalists are the only "real" Christians?  Better, I think, to acknowledge that Mooby's claim to be a Christian (assuming he makes such a claim) is just as good as the Pope's or Pat Robertson's anyone else's.  The fact that Christians themselves can't ever come to agreement on what "Christianity" is, except at sword-point (and only temporarily even then) is, IMO, a pretty good argument against Christianity.  At least it shows that they can't ever validate any of their ideas about "God," the "spiritual realm," the Bible, etc.--a point with which Mooby might well agree.
 1. Who almost never actually believe in the whole thing--see their response to the Torah laws (except for the rules against gays), or anything Jesus ever had to say about money.
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2012, 04:12:09 PM »
So Mooby isn't a fundamentalist who thinks the Bible is infallible.  So?  That doesn't make him an atheist or a Poe.  "Christianity" has always been a plural phenomenon, with the exception of a few brief periods of putative unity imposed during the late Roman Empire.  Even then, "the Church" had to have several Councils where compromise doctrines were hammered out and "heretics" excluded.  Some groups like the Nestorians and Coptics were never really homogenized into the fold, and Gnostic-flavored versions kept cropping up (e.g. the Cathars).  Nowadays, "Christianity" ranges from Fred Phelps to Bishop Shelby Spong.  Mooby sounds to me like he's closer to the Spong-ish end of the spectrum.

Why should atheists argue that the "Bible-believing"[1] Protestant fundamentalists are the only "real" Christians?  Better, I think, to acknowledge that Mooby's claim to be a Christian (assuming he makes such a claim) is just as good as the Pope's or Pat Robertson's anyone else's.  The fact that Christians themselves can't ever come to agreement on what "Christianity" is, except at sword-point (and only temporarily even then) is, IMO, a pretty good argument against Christianity.  At least it shows that they can't ever validate any of their ideas about "God," the "spiritual realm," the Bible, etc.--a point with which Mooby might well agree.
 1. Who almost never actually believe in the whole thing--see their response to the Torah laws (except for the rules against gays), or anything Jesus ever had to say about money.

Highest possible level of Christianity:

Believe and obey everything in the Bible word for word. Where there are contradictory rules, you must choose one or the other. I have never heard of this type of Christian actually existing.

Where I draw the line for the lowest possible level of Christianity:

Believe Jesus died for your sins. Believe you will be with him and the other invitees in Heaven for eternity. While you're here, do whatever the fuck you want. Jesus gotcha covered. ;)

I had to look up Spong. Saying Spong is a Christian is a semantic issue. You can call Spong a Christian if you call Einstein a Jew.

If I believed that Mooby believed everything he's posted that he believes, I would definitely consider him a Christian. In real life, I seriously doubt that he is Christian.

If you define "POE" as "a person whose Christianity or non-Christianity cannot be determined because the content of his/her posts, though extremely ridiculous, could have been made by an actual Christian", then I wouldn't call him a "POE", because I am as certain as I can be that Mooby is not a Christian. It's everything gathered together: his posts, his amount of time invested here at WWGHA, his high intelligence[2], etc.
 2. The reason he gets his ass whooped is because of the stupid shit he is "defending".

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2012, 04:20:31 PM »
Lots&D's

there is only one Christian in the world who can do it all. He is a fictional Character,his name Ned Flanders.....he was good up till he banged that singer without being married to her.....so even he is not "perfect"
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 04:22:14 PM by 12 Monkeys »
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2012, 04:25:27 PM »
Lots&D's

there is only one Christian in the world who can do it all. He is a fictional Character,his name Ned Flanders.....he was good up till he banged that singer without being married to her.....so even he is not "perfect"

Good point/joke. Even a fictional character couldn't reach the highest possible level of Christianity.

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2012, 04:40:38 PM »
If I were a moderator, I would instantly allow this dude into the Atheist Corner. :police:

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2012, 04:44:04 PM »
If I were a moderator, I would instantly allow this dude into the Atheist Corner. :police:

He probably already is. Mooby is one of the moderators disguised as a Christian just to piss HAL off. :o

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2012, 04:50:19 PM »
Mooby's beliefs and avatar have always confused me, but I like Mooby.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2012, 04:53:18 PM »

You're a fuckin' fool.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2012, 04:55:07 PM »

He probably already is. Mooby is one of the moderators disguised as a Christian just to piss HAL off. :o

Mooby's a mod over on isgodimaginary, but not on here. I must confess that he sometimes comes off as an atheist, but over there he does tend to defend a troublesome catholic, so I'm not sure what's going on except that I bet he's enjoying this conversation.  ;D
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2012, 10:35:02 PM »
I bet he's enjoying this conversation.  ;D
Of course I am.  My favorite part is where lot triple posted and quoted herself.  Was she just having a brain fart, or does she actually think she's having a conversation with another poster?  Is there only one lot in this world?  Nooooooooobody knows!

Offline Aerial

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2012, 01:17:28 AM »

You're a fuckin' fool.

Nice, thanx.  :'(