Author Topic: Why? [#2675]  (Read 644 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
Why? [#2675]
« on: August 09, 2012, 04:23:58 PM »
MODERATOR'S NOTE:  This email was sent as a follow up to this one, by the same letter writer:
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,23468.0.html

----------

One more question. Why does this site exist? It sure looks like a hell (oops) of a lot of work. There is something in the human psyche (except mine) that desires a higher power as an explanation for all there is.

It may very well be that there is a supreme being of the universe, but I'll be damned (there I go again) if I'm going to waste any time trying to figure him/her/it out.

I want to know:

- Who/what created the Higgs boson and all the quarks?

- Who put the bop in the bop-shoo-bop?

Please let me know.

[name removed]
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline shnozzola

Re: Why? [#2675]
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 05:04:50 PM »
OK.

1.    IMO, this site exists because atheists are fed up with the likes of 9/11 types trying to one-ups-man-ship each other on death.   In 2001 it was Islam, but with Christians currently trying to burn witches in Kenya theists continue to get out of hand.  With science working on things like improving energy, curing diseases, and exploring Mars, we atheists are enjoying our lives too much to have the religious nuts ruin it all.  If an atheist could safely walk down the street in, say, Salt Lake City or Tehran, we wouldn’t be so angry, so if the religious could just tone it down and not involve us in the delusion…… we have garden work to do.

2.   We don’t know yet how the Higgs-boson came to be, but it is exciting finding out.

3.   Count Basie
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Robert Sole

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 06:29:46 PM »
I am awed and gobsmacked by your god-like knowledge and wisdom.

Offline Robert Sole

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 06:32:29 PM »
Has anyone here ever commented on official Soviet atheism, only to see a rampant return to religion after the fall of the regime? Russia has become a faith healer/scammer's paradise.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 08:24:01 PM »
Atheism is atheism. It has only the one meaning.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline hickdive

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +32/-0
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2012, 03:31:03 AM »
Has anyone here ever commented on official Soviet atheism

I don't know but here's my comment; Soviet atheism was simply an attempt by communism to suppress any competition. The communists could equally well have insisted on enforcing their own, official, form of deity worship. They just didn't want any other organised doctrines other than communism. An officially approved religion with state-appointed and monitored priests would have worked equally well but I guess they took the "easy" route of suppressing all worship.

, only to see a rampant return to religion after the fall of the regime?

Deny people the freedom to believe as they wish and they will inevitably crave it. That's why attempting to 'ban' religion is foolish and the rebound seen in Russia is not at all surprising. Sensible atheists don't wish to ban religion, which would be futile, just remove or reduce it's influence in public policy i.e. to promote secularism.

Russia has become a faith healer/scammer's paradise.

How very christian.

PS Do you have cousins called Robert Stornaway and Hugh Jarse?
Stupidity, unlike intelligence, has no limits.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2012, 08:10:27 AM »
Has anyone here ever commented on official Soviet atheism, only to see a rampant return to religion after the fall of the regime? Russia has become a faith healer/scammer's paradise.

It was just an attempt to remove one belief system that would have competed with Leninism. Notice there are Communist ideologies with Christianity at their center, such as Christianity prior to 300 AD, or Liberation Theology.

However Lenin style Coummunism has its own venerated saints and martyrs, a promised reward of the workers paradise, a core holy book of Karl Marx with a power elite built around interpreting that book. Furthermore, ideology took precedent of evidence. It was a secular religion for all intents and purposes.

The fall of it left people desperate and not well versed in critical thinking...it isn't any shock that religion would resurge there.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +59/-0
  • I shall smite thee, in HIS honor
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 03:34:41 AM »

Getting frustrated much?
It's YOUR god, it's YOUR rules, YOU go to hell.

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means...

"Noah's ark is a problem. We'll have to call it early quantum state phenomenon, only way to fit 5000 species of mammal in the same boat."
- River Tam

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 03:42:27 AM »

Getting frustrated much?

Part of the lyrics of "Who Put the Bomp (In the Bomp, Bomp, Bomp)" by Cartoons DK. Not spelled correctly, but the reference is there.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline oogabooga

• Graduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • I doubt, therefore I might be.
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 07:06:08 AM »
I want to know:

- Who/what created the Higgs boson and all the quarks?
No-one/same process that created all other subatomic particles.

The same man who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong. Barry Mann.

Please let me know.
You're welcome.
Excreta Occurs

Offline Timtheskeptic

• Reader
  • Darwins +20/-1
  • atheist and loving it
    • atheist blogspot
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 11:04:34 AM »
ok.... time for your meds.
Me:What are you looking at Eminem?
Brother: Nothing, Harry Potter.

I love to read books, just not your Bible. i support gay rights and women's rights. Why? Because i'm tired of the hate, stupidity, and your desire to control us all and make up lies.