Author Topic: Fire and brimstone for the likes of you blasphemers! [#2674]  (Read 817 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
Fire and brimstone for the likes of you blasphemers! [#2674]
« on: August 09, 2012, 04:21:34 PM »
Hi,

There was a Huffington Post article today about a Utah sign that read "God hates gays" and one of the commentors had a link to "godisimaginary.com and then a link to you.

I wonder if web sites like yours have ever converted anyone back to logical thinking. It seems that once someone's "god nodule" in their brain has been activated, there is no going back. There have been MRI or PET scans of the brain that show increased activity in that nodule area when people are undergoing religious type rapture. When this nodule is pointed out to "believers", their rationale is that god planted that nodule there so that we can better appreciate him/her/it.

God should stop the surgeons that amputate, nip it in the bud, so to say, instead of going through that laborious healing, miracle process which, even for a god, can be tiring.

What about those that have BIID? (Body Integrity Identity Disorder) and willingly cut off parts? Healing them would make them hate any god that reverses their actions.
Tonight I will peruse your site further.

Regards,
[name removed]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_Integrity_Identity_Disorder
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Fire and brimstone for the likes of you blasphemers! [#2674]
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 04:33:54 PM »
Are you speaking of yourself, in such regard? I am seriously asking.

Why don't you join the website?

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 04:41:36 PM »
What about those that have BIID? (Body Integrity Identity Disorder) and willingly cut off parts? Healing them would make them hate any god that reverses their actions.

This is why the site clearly refers to people who are asking god to heal them, and why he wont, not why he wont without otherwise being asked.

And I don't really see how healing an amputee would be tiring. For a creature that can create a universe as vast and large as this one, you'd think healing an amputee would be a walk in the park for it. And (since miracles aren't real) the doctors are doing anything miraculous. It's just amazing what 10 years of med school can do.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Robert Sole

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 06:09:58 PM »
Okay, I'm all joined up and no longer anon.

Since I just stumbled upon this site due to a HuffPost item about the Utah "Dog hates Yags and lysdexics" sign, I suspect that every argument on all sides have already been flogged  to death here.

Have there been any god-zealots that you know have been de-programmed because of this site and have come over to the dark side? I'll delve deeper into the forums (fora, forii?) just to make sure that it's not just everybody preaching to the converted. Not that I would instantly leave if so, but it would be nice to expend time and energy with the hope of some positive result, i.e. less religiosity.

One more thing, when I registered, and now I see it again at the bottom, is a question demanding an answer before posting. My original answers of: okay, aye, affirmative, okeedokey did not do it. Only yes seemed to work. Why?

Yet one more little question: An odd name for a website, yet as good as any, I suppose. Some people have too much time on their prosthetic hands.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:12:24 PM by Robert Sole »

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 06:14:01 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  We don't really know what the conversion rate is.  We're sure it's low, but it's not zero, so that's better than nothing!

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 06:16:12 PM »
One more thing, when I registered, and now I see it again at the bottom, is a question demanding an answer before posting. My original answers of: okay, aye, affirmative, okeedokey did not do it. Only yes seemed to work. Why?

I assume those behind the programming considered it amusing to think of people attempting smart-arse answers being rebuffed. I know I do.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Robert Sole

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 06:21:30 PM »
Okay, I'm now a member with most of my members, as far as I can remember.

I did have a bit of me voluntarily removed with no medical requirement to do so. Very painful, but worth it. I feel more clean now and never had phantom pain like so many amputees do.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 06:25:22 PM by Robert Sole »

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-2
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2012, 10:11:54 AM »
Welcome Mr. Sole. When you rack up 10 posts feel free to head over to the Introductions section so we have a better idea of who you are.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2012, 10:40:02 AM »

Only the magic words make the magic happen.  "Yes" is the magic word.  Those others are not.

Yet one more little question: An odd name for a website, yet as good as any, I suppose. Some people have too much time on their prosthetic hands.

That is a comment.  Or several of them.  Was there a question? 

The original name for the site was "Why Doe God Hate Amputees".  The change of name did not appreciably diminish the hostility of xians who joined.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2012, 10:53:11 AM »
Robert, welcome. Tell me about yourself.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2012, 11:06:12 AM »
Welcome!

The name of the site I believe is meant to be provocative, though a lot of the time we do get people who miss the point of the question, generally because they end up not reading or paying attention to the site's content. The question is more to do with prayer than specifically amputees or the problem of evil (in this case, where bad things happen to good people).

I wonder if web sites like yours have ever converted anyone back to logical thinking.

I believe this site has had a few deconvertees or has helped some people who are unsure on their way over to the dark side or even just help people become more knowledgeable. I like to think most people get something out of this website and forums. To get something out of the forums, it really is a case of respecting the rules and how things go around here. Think skin is a recommendation, bear in mind everybody is different, have different methods and different attitudes and the rules & mods try their best to allow a person's free expression, but tend to step in when something need intervention.

I mention this because we do get more people not understanding this than we'd perhaps like and often end up leaving with a bad taste in their mouth. I suspect many come here without the intention to talk reasonably to anybody, but to merely impose their views upon us. As we've got different kinds of atheists here we do end up with different kinds of theists too.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Grimm

• Professional Windmill Tilter
  • Postgraduate
  • Darwins +61/-1
  • Apparently, the Dragon to be Slain
    • The Hexadecimal Number of the Beast
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 05:50:11 AM »
I wonder if web sites like yours have ever converted anyone back to logical thinking.

I believe this site has had a few deconvertees or has helped some people who are unsure on their way over to the dark side or even just help people become more knowledgeable. I like to think most people get something out of this website and forums. To get something out of the forums, it really is a case of respecting the rules and how things go around here. Think skin is a recommendation, bear in mind everybody is different, have different methods and different attitudes and the rules & mods try their best to allow a person's free expression, but tend to step in when something need intervention.

Ayup.  This site was one that pushed /me/ over the edge and away from my battered theism.  It didn't start the journey, but did help finish it.

Welcome aboard, Robert!
"But to us, there is but one god, plus or minus one."  - 1 Corinthians 8:6+/-2

-- Randall, XKCD http://xkcd.com/900/