Author Topic: Any good Boy Scouts out there?  (Read 220 times)

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
Any good Boy Scouts out there?
« on: August 08, 2012, 12:22:57 PM »
Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful
Friendly
Courteous
Kind
Obedient
Cheerful
Thrifty
Brave
Clean
Reverent

I can't imagine anyone who knows me calling me cheerful and am only intermittently thrifty. Bravery is dependent on the situation. I don't like the word obedient, it implies blind obedience to me. No problem with reverence except when it is applied to anything religious. The others more or less.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +54/-0
  • IXNAY
Re: Any good Boy Scouts out there?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 01:17:51 PM »
Forgot one: Homophobic (at least at the corporate level).
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 02:31:58 PM »
I was a Weblos(sp?) As a child but only for a few months. It bored me. But my brother was a Boy Scout 'til he was 14.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 02:32:15 PM »
Forgot one: Homophobic (at least at the corporate level).

Yes, I hear fairly regularly about boy scouts (and former boy scouts) returning their badges, saying they won't support an anti-gay organization.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 05:09:01 PM »
Actually stayed in to age 18, Eagle Scout.

I have a lot of mixed opinions about the BSA.  I'm pro-gay and anti-religion, but otherwise I think the organization does a lot of good.  Im very conflicted actually.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2012, 08:57:56 PM »
Trustworthy
Loyal
Helpful
Friendly
Courteous
Kind
Obedient
Cheerful
Thrifty
Brave
Clean
Reverent

Two questions.
1.  Which of these traits are they afraid they will not be able to instill in homosexual young men?
2.  Which of these traits are they demonstrating by excluding homosexual young men?
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2012, 10:28:40 PM »
Having to tap into some memory here.....  What he listed was the Scout Law.  The Oath is (I think) as follows:

On my honor, I do my best to do my duty to God and Country.  To obey the Scout Law, to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.

I cant say if that word held the same meaning when the organization started that it does today, but its the closest thing I can remember to an official statement.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 10:53:14 PM »

I couldn't help but think about how a boy scout might display all of these over one weekend (a camping trip)

Trustworthy

Brings along the tents, as promised

Loyal

Tents from the same supplier the Scouts have always used.

Helpful

Notices some of the tents are ripped. Repairs them.

Friendly 

Introduces himself to a new scout and his family who seem interested in the tents.

Courteous

The new scout's Dad works for a rival tent supplier and seeks business. Politely declines.

Kind

The new scout starts crying form home-sickness once the bus pulls away. Cheers him up by doing tent impressions.

Obedient 

At the scout leaders command sets up all the tents.

Cheerful

Keeps smiling even after finding out there will be no 'cleanest tent' award.

Thrifty

Tells current tent supplier that there's a rival sniffing for business. Obtains discount for next order.

Brave

Offers to share a tent with 'Fred the flatulent'

Clean 

Ensures tents are pitched close to amenities block

Reverent 

Listens attentively to tales of tents from years gone by.

PS. I agree that their stance on homosexuals is ridiculous.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 09:19:19 AM »
Yes, I hear fairly regularly about boy scouts (and former boy scouts) returning their badges, saying they won't support an anti-gay organization.

When boyscouts try to sell me some crap as I come out of a grocery store, I tell them I don't support religious paramilitary organizations.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 01:34:16 PM »
I was once a scout, but I don't think there were any homophobic undertones, but then we're probably talking about different organisations. Though I could be wrong, I was just a kid. I actually got bored of it after a while. :)

Offers to share a tent with 'Fred the flatulent'

Does it count if the guy you're sharing a tent with shits himself?  :-\

However, this whole homophobia nonsense is just ridiculous, you can't just go out and exclude kids from having fun or even getting involved with the community because they're gay, they're not gonna hurt you. It's not as if they'll be raping the other boys in the middle of the night. Seriously, gay kids get enough shit as it is from other kids without adults making life shitty for them too. If anything the adults should be encouraging kids to not discriminate. But they'll hide behind this wall of "it's our religious beliefs" as if that gives their position more respectability. As if they abide by all of the old testament laws. It's not religion, it's just bigotry.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.