Author Topic: finding last read posts in a thread  (Read 775 times)

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-1
finding last read posts in a thread
« on: August 06, 2012, 05:22:53 PM »
On some other boards, there is a function wherein if you click on a particular thread, it will automatically take you to the last post you read, which saves a lot of time, particularly with those threads that really take off. Especially when similar arguments start getting made over and over, sometimes I will read two or three pages before coming to a post I definitely recognize, and realize I'd just spent way too much time on stuff that I'd actually seen before. I guess improving my memory would help, but that's probably a lost cause.

Is there a way to do that on this board that I haven't found yet, or any way to add that capability?

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
Re: finding last read posts in a thread
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 05:43:56 PM »
Actually, there is.

When you are browsing the new unread topics, you will notice that unread threads have a "new" icon next to them.  That icon is a clickable link that will take you to the first post marked "new."
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 06:25:00 PM »
Thank you Mooby! I had no idea that's what that icon did!
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-1
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 06:25:10 PM »
I tried that, but it just took my to the last post on the page (where the last post in the thread that I had actuallu read was about 4 posts back). There's also a little icon way to the right of the topics, like a dog-eared page, but although that sometimes takes me back to the general vicinity of where I stopped reading, it more often just goes to the final post in the thread as well

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 06:27:12 PM »
I doubt it can know which post you actually read last. So if you opened the thread and didn't finish reading it before leaving it would prob take you the last post that was posted before you closed the page. I'm just guessing I've not tested it yet.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-1
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 06:33:55 PM »
I know there are a couple of boards I read (Television Without Pity, for one) which does "know" somehow which post you were on when you stopped reading. When you open a particular thread it automatically goes to that post. Sorcery, I tell you!

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 06:48:52 PM »
That would be awesome!  8)

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 07:47:10 PM »
I know there are a couple of boards I read (Television Without Pity, for one) which does "know" somehow which post you were on when you stopped reading. When you open a particular thread it automatically goes to that post. Sorcery, I tell you!

This is exactly how the "new" tab that Mooby mentioned works. I'm not sure why it isn't functioning that way for you.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 07:48:53 PM »
I tried that, but it just took my to the last post on the page (where the last post in the thread that I had actuallu read was about 4 posts back). There's also a little icon way to the right of the topics, like a dog-eared page, but although that sometimes takes me back to the general vicinity of where I stopped reading, it more often just goes to the final post in the thread as well
It takes you to the last post that's marked as "read" on your account.  When you open a thread, all current replies are marked as "read."  If you look at "Show unread posts since last visit," there is a "Mark Selected Read" or Mark All Messages As Read" button which does the same.  So if you use one of those buttons and the thread is cleared, then the next new post marked at "unread" is your start point, regardless of whether you actually read the thread content.  Or if you open a thread at work, then close it when the boss comes by, the thread is again marked as "read," even if you didn't read a single post.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 07:50:32 PM by Mooby »
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +93/-1
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 08:27:05 PM »
Well, thanks for all the explanations and suggestions. I have a better idea of how it all works now, anyway.