Author Topic: Curiosity is down!!  (Read 1906 times)

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Curiosity is down!!
« on: August 06, 2012, 01:32:48 AM »
The Curiosity rover has soft-landed on Mars! It's sending back imagery as I freakin' type this; my geek blood is boiling with glee! Here's a link to live video from NASA about the landing and some updates...  :laugh:

http://www.nasa.gov/externalflash/mars/curiosity_news3.html

Many thanks to the people who sweated blood to build, program and speed Curiosity on her way and get her there in one piece. Here's to a long, wildly successful mission!
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Curiosity is down!!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 07:29:12 AM »
Yay!  I left the TV on CNN and went to sleep, assuming that the enthusiastic claps and cheers would wake me up and I would know.  But I slept through, and when I woke up about 5 AM, they were still discussing yesterday's shooting.  I felt a panic go through me.  Surely, if it had landed safely, that is all they would be talking about.  So many Mars missions have failed. 

In spite of the unprecedented success of Spirit and Opportunity, I knew it was a risky mission, and the landing was the most vulnerable part of the mission.

But then, I was greeted by images of Mars on my TV screen.  Yay. 

Here is a little history of missions from NASA. 

Launch Date   Name   Country   Result   Reason
1960   Korabl 4   USSR (flyby)   Failure   Didn't reach Earth orbit
1960   Korabl 5   USSR (flyby)   Failure   Didn't reach Earth orbit
1962   Korabl 11   USSR (flyby)   Failure   Earth orbit only; spacecraft broke apart
1962   Mars 1   USSR (flyby)   Failure   Radio Failed
1962   Korabl 13   USSR (flyby)   Failure   Earth orbit only; spacecraft broke apart
1964   Mariner 3   US (flyby)   Failure   Shroud failed to jettison
1964   Mariner 4   US (flyby)   Success   Returned 21 images
1964   Zond 2   USSR (flyby)   Failure   Radio failed
1969   Mars 1969A   USSR   Failure   Launch vehicle failure
1969   Mars 1969B   USSR   Failure   Launch vehicle failure
1969   Mariner 6   US (flyby)   Success   Returned 75 images
1969   Mariner 7   US (flyby)   Success   Returned 126 images
1971   Mariner 8   US   Failure   Launch failure
1971   Kosmos 419   USSR   Failure   Achieved Earth orbit only
1971   Mars 2 Orbiter/Lander   USSR   Failure   Orbiter arrived, but no useful data and Lander destroyed
1971   Mars 3 Orbiter/Lander   USSR   Success   Orbiter obtained approximately 8 months of data and lander landed safely, but only 20 seconds of data
1971   Mariner 9   US   Success   Returned 7,329 images
1973   Mars 4   USSR   Failure   Flew past Mars
1973   Mars 5   USSR   Success   Returned 60 images; only lasted 9 days
1973   Mars 6 Orbiter/Lander   USSR   Success/Failure   Occultation experiment produced data and Lander failure on descent
1973   Mars 7 Lander   USSR   Failure   Missed planet; now in solar orbit.
1975   Viking 1 Orbiter/Lander   US   Success   Located landing site for Lander and first successful landing on Mars
1975   Viking 2 Orbiter/Lander   US   Success   Returned 16,000 images and extensive atmospheric data and soil experiments
1988   Phobos 1 Orbiter   USSR   Failure   Lost en route to Mars
1988   Phobos 2 Orbiter/Lander   USSR   Failure   Lost near Phobos
1992   Mars Observer   US   Failure   Lost prior to Mars arrival
1996   Mars Global Surveyor   US   Success   More images than all Mars Missions
1996   Mars 96   USSR   Failure   Launch vehicle failure
1996   Mars Pathfinder   US   Success   Technology experiment lasting 5 times longer than warranty
1998   Nozomi   Japan   Failure   No orbit insertion; fuel problems
1998   Mars Climate Orbiter   US   Failure   Lost on arrival
1999   Mars Polar Lander   US   Failure   Lost on arrival
1999   Deep Space 2 Probes (2)   US   Failure   Lost on arrival (carried on Mars Polar Lander)
2001   Mars Odyssey   US   Success   High resolution images of Mars
2003   Mars Express Orbiter/Beagle 2 Lander   ESA   Success/Failure   Orbiter imaging Mars in detail and lander lost on arrival
2003   Mars Exploration Rover - Spirit   US   Success   Operating lifetime of more than 15 times original warranty
2003   Mars Exploration Rover - Opportunity   US   Success   Operating lifetime of more than 15 times original warranty
2005   Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter   US   Success   Returned more than 26 terabits of data (more than all other Mars missions combined)
2007   Phoenix Mars Lander   US   Success   Returned more than 25 gigabits of data
http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/programmissions/missions/log/

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 11:15:22 AM »
Here is a little history of missions from NASA.
*snip*

Thanks for the history, Quesi. Putting events in perspective is always useful; we humans have such trouble keeping the long view.

Getting into space is hard and has a corresponding cost: politically, economically; in terms of time, equipment designed and yes, human lives. The returns have been enormous, yet they are often overlooked. For those like LoriPinkAngel, who ask just what we've gained (and it's a valid question) to benefit humanity from exploring space, I offer this list as a start:

Answer:

Global Positioning System: The mankind depends on the sea trade for transportation of food grains, fossil fuels, metal ores, etc. Global navigation system, GPS helps in timely delivery of these essential goods by providing the ships with essential navigation information. The GNS services are made available using networks of satellites which also enables satellite Internet and satellite phones.
    Weather Forecast and Agriculture: Gone are the days, when we used to take an umbrella with us while going out if there were black clouds in the sky. Now we can rely on the weather reports updated on an hourly basis. The accurate weather forecast is possible only because of the satellites in the space. The satellites also help us in predicting the crop yields, pest infestation and the area under cultivation.
    Natural Calamities: It is easy to predict natural calamities such as floods, storms, tornadoes, hurricanes and to locate wildfires and their extent with the help of satellites.
    Minerals and Mining: Minerals buried deep under the Earth's surface can be located using satellites. Precious fossil fuels can be found with the help of satellites.
    Electronics: The field of electronics and computers have also benefited from the space exploration. The astronauts have manufactured miniature electronic parts that could only be produced in the space during their experiments in the space stations and space shuttles.
    Asteroids: It is believed that an asteroid strike eliminated the dinosaurs on the Earth. One of the benefits of space exploration is that we know about the thousands of asteroids and we can also be vigilant about their "drifts". May be we could prevent 'dinosaurian death of mankind', if and when an asteroid is positioned to repeat history. If it happens, it would be because of the knowledge which is the direct benefit of space exploration.
    Energy Source: The scientists and researchers all over the world are attempting to harness the power of nuclear fusion. The process which enables the Sun to produce energy in abundance. It is believed that quantity of electricity generated using 1kg of hydrogen would be equivalent to that of 11,000 metric tons of coal.
    Medicine: Another field to glean the benefits of the satellite exploration is that of medicine. Metal alloys that are manufactured to be used in spacecraft and space shuttles are also used in the health care industry. Nitinol, an alloy is used to make braces. The miniature electronic components which were developed for the space program can be used in electronic pain-control device that some patients need to use. The implantable insulin pump is based on the mechanical robot arm developed for the Mars Voyager probe.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_are_the_benefits_of_space_exploration

And the cost of space exploration / exploitation is still a pittance compared to what we spend killing each other over political and economic issues. It drives me a little crazy, sometimes.

Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +55/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 01:06:49 PM »
No matter how many times I watch the animation of how Curiosity was to land, I am in complete awe over the people who could engineer and execute such a feat.  Bravo.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 01:24:56 PM »

"The nuclear battery is the black 'tail'"

http://www.about-robots.com/curiosity-rover-nuclear-battery.html

It contains about 5kg (10 pounds) of plutonium-238 (non explosive), and can power the rover for at least 14 years. This motor will supply energy to the Mars Science Laboratory night and day for as long as it can move.

Man, I want one of these.  Unfortunately nuts would abuse this and doom us all, but what great mileage.

Doc Brown
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:28:57 PM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 03:05:06 PM »
Loved staying up and watching that last night (ET).

My wife, REALLY intelligent in some areas (has a doctorate in pharmacy)... but anything off our planet... not so much.  She said, why didn't they plan this so it would've happened in the day time?  I just shook my head and said "because they are trying to hit a bullet, with another bullet millions of miles away, shooting not where it is, but where it will be in 8 months".  I know that "bullet with a bullet" is not an original idea, but I dont know where it came from.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline shnozzola

“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 08:29:05 PM »
Nah!  it'll never happen

"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
Nah!  it'll never happen

Great find.  Oh my.  Their prophets are not too... ummm ... prophetic... are they? 

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 08:35:59 PM »
^^^
Thanks, shnozz. Just watched the reaction of the control room crew and it made me cry. Oh, how sweet it is to see people taking well-earned joy in having done their best!   :'( :D ;D

Nah!  it'll never happen

I'm a very peaceful man in a very good mood right now, kin. But if some pinhead tells me in RL that roomful of people (jumping up and down, high-fiving, weeping with joy at having a part in something utterly extraordinary) were just a bunch of eggheads excited over nothing, then said pinhead is going to need stitches.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 11:11:12 PM »
That last night made me wish our culture would treat these guys like celebrities, and fu#$ing ignore actors and sports stars.  Alas I dont see that happening anytime soon.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 02:47:31 PM »
Nah!  it'll never happen

This would have been forgivable if it had been said in the 19th century but in 1961 there were already artificial saterlites orbting the planet. It's just plain dumb.

BTW "The Honolulu Stake Conference" What were they discussing? The best way to kill vampires.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 02:50:55 PM »
This would have been forgivable if it had been said in the 19th century but in 1961 there were already artificial saterlites orbting the planet. It's just plain dumb.

It's even dumber than that.  He said "we will never get a man into space" on May 14, 1961, which was a month after a man had already gone into space.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 10:15:31 PM »
Although I do feel very sorry for every cat on Mars now.

What a cruel lottery.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2012, 07:49:02 AM »
From Neil deGrasse Tyson on facebook. 

Offline caveat_imperator

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2012, 08:16:30 AM »
I didn't realize how bad a success rate the USSR/Russia had with their Mars expeditions. :o

That last night made me wish our culture would treat these guys like celebrities, and fu#$ing ignore actors and sports stars.

I hope I live to see that happen.
You can't prove a negative of an existence postulate.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2012, 09:45:04 AM »
I didn't realize how bad a success rate the USSR/Russia had with their Mars expeditions. :o

That last night made me wish our culture would treat these guys like celebrities, and fu#$ing ignore actors and sports stars.

I hope I live to see that happen.

In a culture that promotes the Jersey shore, Toddlers and Tiaras, and the Kardashians we'd better hope longevity research advances quickly.

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +897/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2012, 04:07:46 PM »
Although I do feel very sorry for every cat on Mars now.

What a cruel lottery.

But Gullibility is up, so it all balances out.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +897/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2012, 04:12:25 PM »
From Neil deGrasse Tyson on facebook. 

What's next? NASA By Nature? ( ;D Loved this. I am such a geekgirl for spacecrap.)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2012, 04:25:20 PM »
Video doesn't work on my phone anymore. Can people post pics?

It's hard loading individual sites that have them butnot this one.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 04:30:16 PM »
Nah!  it'll never happen

Have their prophets ever been right about anything?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2012, 09:48:09 AM »
I'm kinda late to the party but ...
I read about the successful landing while I was on break and just went "YESSS!"
Everybody looked at me as if I was nuts :D

Just imagining that even a small country like Austria could easily finance a mission just like that if people here could just agree on how exactly to streamline the bureaucratic apparatus makes me cringe.
Our own science minister was against giving money LHC guys. Fuck that fucking guy in the fucking neck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As a sidenote, I'm really glad to see NASA was able not only[1] to succeed technologically but also to finally capitalize on it for publicity like in the good old days.
 1. Not to be confused with "merely".
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2012, 12:28:21 PM »
I heard today that Curiosity zapped some rock with its Lazar.  It's ok though...it was standing its ground. ;)

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2012, 01:22:49 PM »
The rock was wearing a hoody and looked like it was "up to something".

Clean shoot.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2012, 02:18:02 PM »
Obama said in a news conference today that if he had a rock it would look like that rock. ;)

Offline Ambassador Pony

• Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2012, 03:10:10 PM »
Last I read, the curiosity rover posted bail and went into hiding in New Jersey.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 03:22:04 PM »
I think there is a defense fund set up if any of you care to contribute.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 03:34:19 PM »
I am out of one-ups and one-up attempts.

I concede.

Bien jouer.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2012, 08:59:38 PM »
I really don't know what the mission is for this mars rover but I found this to be of interest...
http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-mars-contaminate-20120910,0,365701.story