Author Topic: Have You Broken Any 10 Commandments?  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Have You Broken Any 10 Commandments?
« on: August 06, 2012, 01:32:06 AM »
You notice how much importance Christians place on the 10 Commandments? As it should be the "Law of the land" yet they break almost all of them on a regular basis.

So, how many have you broken?

I believe I've broken only one: stealing. Something I did in my youth, last time was in 1998. Maybe working on the Sabbath but what day is that exactly? I know that almost all Christians believe it's Sunday but I think that was just designated the day for some benign reason.  Also, perhaps the "honor" one. I do honor my mother but my father doesn't deserve such a thing when he shows no respect toward people he can't control, which seems like an oxymoron, I feel.

Other than those things, I break no other of the "Commandments". The first three do not pertain to me since I am an atheist. I've never been married, so never commited adultry, and never coveted anything from my neighbors. Oh, and I've never killed/murdered anyone.

So, how about any of you?

-Nam
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:33:57 AM by Nam »
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: Have You Broken Any 10 Commandments?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2012, 02:02:53 AM »
Interesting; hadn't thought about this for awhile.

During my tenure as a Christian I often broke 3 (God's name in vain) and 4 (working on the Sabbath); I usually felt guilty about the former, never the latter.

#5 (obey parents): busted. Didn't always obey and respect my parents / stepparents (I find it difficult to respect the judgement of someone who thinks Rush Limbaugh is the great social / political commentator of our time, Dad).

#8 (don't steal): oh, yeah. Occasionally shoplifted as a kid, never caught. Felt bad later, though not enough to try and make up for it.

#9 (false witness): yep, a few times. Finally had it bite me in the ass enough that I gave it up.

#10(coveting others' stuff): ooh, big time.

Wow, I have been bad.

Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline BoF

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 03:17:53 AM »
All of them providing...

6.  one counts abortion.  I had a hand in that decision.
7.  one counts lust in one's heart as adultery.

-Bereft_of_Faith

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 03:28:49 AM »
No! The first three are irrelevant, as I'm at all theistic, and the next seven,  I have never done. I've never been disrespectful to my parents,( that I have knowledge of. I might have done when I was very small.) I've not killed, I've not committed adultery, nor stolen, told an untruth about someone.
And I have never been envious of other peoples things, including their wife's, and lovers.

So never sinned which would be impossible anyway as I have no believe in god/gods.

Aren't I a little angel.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 05:45:21 AM »
1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

Technically I don't. I don't have any god. :)

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image

I tend not to make such things. I don't think I ever have, I've bought small Buddha statues, but not really anything 'graven'. I suppose I could idolise Buddha, but I don't.

3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain

Jesus fucking Christ, I'm fucked for that one.

4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

Sod that, I'll do what I like with my Sunday. :)
The extension of that is to no work Sundays. It's difficult when you need the money. But my mother and sister are constant rule breakers here, they're care workers and sadly people who need care can't just 'take a day off' from needing it. Then there's policemen, doctors, firemen and so on. I don't think God gave this commandment much thought.

5. Honour thy father and thy mother

I honour them but only because they've been deserving. But I have argued and cursed at my parents before, but the word 'honour' is very subjective, so can it be said that I dishonoured them by arguing with them? Or did I honour them by having the guts to be honest with them and attempt to solve problems?

6. Thou shalt not kill.

Not broken that one yet. I am worried that it's so far down the list.

7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.

I've never cheated on my left hand.

8. Thou shalt not steal

I stole a chocolate egg when I was 6 but returned it. That's it.

9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Never have. Though I have been in situations where it might have suited me.

10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

We've got an extension on our house, he hasn't; his wife's a bitch; his animals get on my nerves and there's not a single thing of his I'd even want.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 06:01:53 AM »

I've heard this from several sources over the years but I don't remember the link for it's background.
It's a interesting one for christians..
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 07:16:48 AM »

1. Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

I do not put any gods before any other gods.  They are all equal. 

2. Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image

I'm not too artsy craftsy.  So I think I can safely say no, unless some long-ago, supervised elementary school art project qualifies. 

3. Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain

Well, I say god dammit and omg.  But those are idiomatic expressions.  I don't feel any guilt about doing it.  And I don't think that there is a god who is my lord.  But in the strictest interpretation, I guess I have.  And do. 

4. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.

No.  Different sabbaths in different monotheistic religions.  Some start the day at sun up.  Some at sunset.  And I don't keep any of them holy. 

5. Honour thy father and thy mother

Oh yes. 

Sure, I had the teenage rebellion thing. 

But I honored my beautiful parents throughout their lives.  I shared my joys with them, and throughout my childhood and youth, I was nurtured by them.  As they grew older, and had increasing needs, I was there for them with emotional support and practical assistance and a physical presence when I was needed.  And always with love and respect.  Lots of love.  I was within arms reach of each of them at the moment of their deaths. 

I continue to honor their memories by living by the values that they taught me. 

6. Thou shalt not kill.

Other than occasional roaches or flies, or when I occasionally eat seafood or wear leather shoes, no.  At least not directly.

I create a demand for products and infrastructure that result in deaths during creation.  I use metals and fossil fuels, and everyone knows that there will be fatalities when these resources are exploited.  Huge construction projects assume a certain percentage of fatalities, and build it into their costs.  I ride the NYC subway system daily, and dozens of people died during its construction.  27 dead building the Brooklyn Bridge.  I don't know how many people died constructing the highways I've traveled, or the bridges I have crossed, or building the dams that bring me my electricity. 

So I want to answer no to this question.  But I am not sure I can do so honestly.  I am complacent with systems that value products and outcomes more than they value human lives. 

7. Thou shalt not commit adultery.

No. 

8. Thou shalt not steal

You know, MM said that he steals when he goofs off on the forums on his employer's time.  So I gave this question a lot of thought, to make sure I am answering honestly.

No.  I don't steal from my employer when I good off on the forum at work.  Sometimes I procrastinate a big project.  But my work gets done.  My work needs to get done.  And if I get up at 4:30 in the morning to finish a project, I do it. 

But I think I do steal.  I buy fruit that was picked by workers who do not earn living wages.  I steal from them.  I wear clothes that were assembled by factory workers who do not earn living wages.  I steal from their families.  These workers subsidize my lifestyle.  Again, I am complacent. 

9. Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

Oh my goodness no! 

10. Thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's house, thou shalt not covet thy neighbour's wife, nor his manservant, nor his maidservant, nor his ox, nor his ass, nor any thing that is thy neighbour's.

My NYC neighbors don't have a lot of maidservents or oxes of asses.  And I try very hard to recognize the fact that I have so much more than most human beings alive today, and I have a ridiculous amount of space and comfort and stuff and leisure time in comparison to the majority of human beings who have ever lived. 

A friend is renovating her kitchen, and I sometimes covet ridiculous things like attractive backsplashes.  I have the financial resources to put in an attractive backsplash in my kitchen, (I actually really need a new refrigerator, but that is another story) but I make my choices.  Vacations are more important to me, and that is what I spend my disposable income on. 

So yeah.  Sometimes I covet a little bit.  Not half a million dollar cars or anything silly like that.  Ok.  Maybe I'd like a yacht.  But I know it is not within my reach, so it is only a fleeting thought. 

I am so fortunate to have what I NEED, and then after fulfilling my needs, I have some  disposable income to do what I want with.  I make careful choices, and I am more than satisfied with the things that I own, and I am more likely to spend my discretionary money on something that I "do" rather than own.  A trip.  A festival.  A restaurant. A museum membership.  And ultimately, I am satisfied. 

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +622/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 08:41:40 AM »
I've heard this from several sources over the years but I don't remember the link for it's background.
It's a interesting one for christians..

here is a blog that supports that.  take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.reclaimingthemind.org/blog/2007/06/what-does-it-really-mean-to-take-the-lords-name-in-vein/

The way it is explained here, it is sort of like not testing god.  Because if you say "in the name of yhwh, X will happen" and X does not happen, well, you are now in the same boat as the priests of Baal and Marduk.  Saying things in the name of yhwh just makes it obvious that yhwh does not actually do anything.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 10:09:03 AM »
I have placed other gods before him... like me, The Gawd.
I have probably lusted after a lot of wives
I have not taken Mithra's name in vain, but i have said goddamnit....push
I usually dont do anything on sunday out of laziness, but sometimes I do, so nope.
I honor my parents, though my mother being a fundy makes it difficult when she starts talking
I have not killed a human, but insencts often meet my fury
I have committed adultry
I have stolen from the rich and given to the poor.
I have not beared false witness

Offline Timtheskeptic

• Reader
  • Darwins +20/-1
  • atheist and loving it
    • atheist blogspot
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 10:30:01 AM »
Let's see, what Commandments have i broken?

1) I never believed in a god
2) I never kept it"holy" and i worked yesterday on the sabbath.
3) I took his name in vain
4) i've made 'graven images.'
5) I don't "honour thy mother and thy father."
6) I killed ants and other annoying bugs.
7) I lied sometimes.
8) If committing adultery is simply by thinking sexy thoughts of someone whether you're single or not, then yes i committed a "thought crime."
9) I coveted many things.
10) if taking coins you find on the ground is the same as stealing, then fine.

Holy crap, i broke every single one of them!! I'm so bloody doomed!
Me:What are you looking at Eminem?
Brother: Nothing, Harry Potter.

I love to read books, just not your Bible. i support gay rights and women's rights. Why? Because i'm tired of the hate, stupidity, and your desire to control us all and make up lies.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 10:56:33 AM »
Uh .. about those graven images, anybody with a camera or anybody on the computer commits this crime every day. Should we all stone ourselves for this?

http://notesfromthewilderness.wordpress.com/2008/06/06/what-your-pastor-never-told-you-about-the-2nd-commandment/

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2012, 12:35:42 PM »
Remember, there are actually 16-17 commandments: 10 from the tablets of Exodus 20, and 6-7 additional from the tablets of Exodus 34:

- Make no molten gods/idols (oft interpreted as not making graven images)
- Every firstborn belongs to me (Yahweh)
- Observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the years end feast;
- Do not offer a blood sacrifice with leavened bread;
- The fat of my feast shall not remain all night until morning;
- Sacrifice the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the LORD;
- Do not cook a young goat in its mothers milk

Christians typically claim commandments from Ex 34 only apply to Jews; yet Moses (a Jew) accepted both sets from Yahweh, and Yahweh said both sets of tablet contain the exact same words (Ex 34:1, "I will write upon them the same words that were on the first tablets, which you broke"), which they don't. 

Of course Jesus in the NT says (Roman 13:9) Whatever commandments there may be, all are summed up in this one command: Love your neighbor as yourself.

As usual, the Bible provides clear, unambiguous guidance.

&)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 12:37:23 PM by Backspace »
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2012, 12:49:04 PM »
Remember, there are actually 16-17 commandments: 10 from the tablets of Exodus 20, and 6-7 additional from the tablets of Exodus 34:

- Make no molten gods/idols (oft interpreted as not making graven images)
- Every firstborn belongs to me (Yahweh)
- Observe the feast of weeks, of the firstfruits of wheat harvest, and the years end feast;
- Do not offer a blood sacrifice with leavened bread;
- The fat of my feast shall not remain all night until morning;
- Sacrifice the best of the firstfruits of your soil to the house of the LORD;
- Do not cook a young goat in its mothers milk

Christians typically claim commandments from Ex 34 only apply to Jews; yet Moses (a Jew) accepted both sets from Yahweh, and Yahweh said both sets of tablet contain the exact same words (Ex 34:1, "I will write upon them the same words that were on the first tablets, which you broke"), which they don't. 

Of course Jesus in the NT says (Roman 13:9) Whatever commandments there may be, all are summed up in this one command: Love your neighbor as yourself.

As usual, the Bible provides clear, unambiguous guidance.

&)

I so rarely offer blood sacrifices with leavened bread. 

In terms of baby goat recipes... if you have two nursing goats, and you take one of the baby goats, can you use the milk of the other nursing goat to cook the baby goat? 

Being an NYC apartment dweller, I rarely find myself with two goats nursing simultaneously.  But I'd like to know anyway. 

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +467/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
http://libertypraise.com/613laws/mandatory.pdf
The total number of the biblical commandments (precepts and prohibitions) is given in rabbinic tradition as 613. It is held that all 613 were revealed to Moses at Mt. Sinai, and that they fall into two classifications.
1. Mandatory laws - 248 in number, corresponding to limbs of the human body (divided into
eighteen sections). [edit GB... why 18?]
2. Prohibition laws - 365 in number, equal to the solar days in a year (divided into thirteen sections).
The first 248 mandatory Commandments are given with Biblical reference in this pdf.

I am afraid there will be no heaven for me:

123. The misformed bunches of grapes must also be left (Lev. 19:10). - I once picked one.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-1
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2012, 01:24:24 PM »
  • As far as I'm concerned, just about *all* the gods come before Yahweh.
  • Carved a little portrait of Odinn just the other day.
  • I've worked on Saturdays, and Sundays too.
  • Had to "terminate" an injured mouse once.
  • And I covet, but generally not other people's stuff - Usually stuff in stores.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:27:58 PM by Astreja »
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2012, 06:00:06 PM »
Sadly I've broken the worst of god's commandments.. I've touched  an unclean woman. I couldn't wait..

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2012, 06:30:56 PM »
You notice how much importance Christians place on the 10 Commandments? As it should be the "Law of the land" yet they break almost all of them on a regular basis.

Where do you meet these people who give you such a bad impression of christians?  I know a lot of christians who live & let live, and just try to be as loving and helpful as they can be without judging or changing other people.

All of them.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2012, 06:35:20 PM »

All of them.

False witness against your neighbor?????   Really????

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2012, 06:40:29 PM »
I had to lie to my alzheimer's patients all the time to get them not to elope.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2012, 06:42:53 PM »
I had to lie to my alzheimer's patients all the time to get them not to elope.

Ok.  I thought you had fairly high standards, and that one surprised me. 

Offline dloubet

• Reader
  • Darwins +54/-1
    • Denisloubet.com
« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2012, 07:46:50 PM »
Here's a question. Which of the commandments has the supposed god itself broken?

It's supposedly killed a lot of people personally.
Adultery, check.
Is the god described as bearing false witness against anyone?
The god seems to covet things, no?
Did the god ever create a graven image? Like the 10 Commandments themselves perhaps?
Is the god described as stealing anything? Doesn't Jesus steal an ass or something?
It can't respect it's parents since it doesn't have any.

I know it indulges in a lot of the 7 Deadlies.

Denis Loubet

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2012, 04:35:30 AM »
Here's a question. Which of the commandments has the supposed god itself broken?

It's supposedly killed a lot of people personally.
Adultery, check.
Is the god described as bearing false witness against anyone?
The god seems to covet things, no?
Did the god ever create a graven image? Like the 10 Commandments themselves perhaps?
Is the god described as stealing anything? Doesn't Jesus steal an ass or something?
It can't respect it's parents since it doesn't have any.

I know it indulges in a lot of the 7 Deadlies.

I think the theist answer might be that a parent (in this case, god) has an obligation to set down rules for his/her children that he/she need not follow.  We determine the bed times for our kids, forbid them from partaking in various activities or imbibing in certain substances, all while we do otherwise.

What we see as hypocrisy on the part of this god, his followers see as the rules set down by a parent.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2012, 07:28:51 AM »
Man, I'm not sure I should be hanging out with some of you heathens!  I can tell all of you with a straight face, that I have never once in my life, ever sinned, nor have I broken any religious commandment!  Mwu ha ha ha ha ha

OK, maybe I took some bubble gum once...sigh.

Offline Timtheskeptic

• Reader
  • Darwins +20/-1
  • atheist and loving it
    • atheist blogspot
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2012, 08:49:43 AM »
Man, I'm not sure I should be hanging out with some of you heathens!  I can tell all of you with a straight face, that I have never once in my life, ever sinned, nor have I broken any religious commandment!  Mwu ha ha ha ha ha

oh come on, surely you did many things than that. I don't believe you.
Me:What are you looking at Eminem?
Brother: Nothing, Harry Potter.

I love to read books, just not your Bible. i support gay rights and women's rights. Why? Because i'm tired of the hate, stupidity, and your desire to control us all and make up lies.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2012, 12:36:12 PM »
Man, I'm not sure I should be hanging out with some of you heathens!  I can tell all of you with a straight face, that I have never once in my life, ever sinned, nor have I broken any religious commandment! 

Perhaps not yet. Romans 5:12 says all have sinned, so you 'll eventually catch up with the rest of us.  ;)
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2012, 03:20:34 PM »
Backspace,

When I first created this topic, I did mention the other Commandments but when I was checking for errors, after listing all the Commandments somehow I erased all but 3 that I originally posted (I'm on the phone) and didn't want to thumb it all over again. Christians tend to ignore (not all Christians, some are just ignorant) what they feel doesn't pertain to them.

-Nam
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 03:23:12 PM by Nam »

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2012, 01:49:55 AM »

oh come on, surely you did many things than that. I don't believe you.
I do, as I've never sinned either.
I can say with all honesty that I've never committed an immoral act considered to be a transgression against divine law.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2012, 08:19:25 AM »

-Nam

Don't really give a FF (flying fuck) about the 10 Commandments.
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2012, 11:47:51 AM »
stuffin,

Good for you. What that has to do with the topic...I don't know.

-Nam