Author Topic: Just a sincere thank you [#2672]  (Read 351 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
Just a sincere thank you [#2672]
« on: August 05, 2012, 08:49:19 PM »
To whom it may concern:

I want to thank you for the website WWGHA. I was not raised with religion and shed any and all religious tendencies many years ago after taking time to actually read the bible. I have read Richard Dawkins, enjoyed Penn & Teller, George Carlin, Christopher Hitchens and so on. I have often engaged people regarding their religious beliefs. The reason I am writing is to thank you for your website (along with godisimaginary.com) because as a result of these two websites, I have shifted my approach in my conversations. My past method of conversation was simply about justifying my non-religious position and trying to convince believers just how ridiculous their beliefs are. As you can well imagine I wasn't making much of a difference but I sure thought I was pretty smart. Now, I see what is truly possible for the world and all societies with less religion or no religion. No longer do I approach people from my prior mindset. I now see what is possible for humanity without religion and as such, have shed my snarky tone and condescending positions. My position is now one of compassion and understanding for how religion has manifested itself in our society, our culture and in the minds of my fellow humans. I now attempt to share with people what is possible without religion and instead of offering arguments against a belief in a deity, I ask questions or rather, beg of others to ask their own questions about how they arrived at their beliefs. Sometimes it is worthwhile to argue the point by point fallaciousness of the bible but more important to me is to inspire some independent thought about the history of religion and why so many adhere to it. I find this to be far more effective. At first I thought the two websites were clever and funny, and in many ways they are just that. But what I like most about them is they are thoughtful, considerate, and utilize a logical approach to understanding religion; particularly Christianity. It demonstrates how religion works, or rather, how it fails to achieve anything in reality. I have a few friends and a sister that absolutely refuse to visit either website and this is quite demonstrative of how provoking the names of the websites are. But deep inside, I believe these (otherwise) bright and intelligent people struggle internally with the belief system they have so long been attached to. There is a part of them that easily understands the inconsistencies, the scientific blunders and the abject horrid nature of so much of what the bible contains and yet, they have a tiger by the tail and refuse to let go. The chapters of both websites are excellent positions to offer when the subject of religion or god or jesus comes up and I thank you so much for assembling such a cogent and rational approach to transforming our world from one of superstitious dogma to one of rational thought. These conversations are gaining momentum and if delivered in a thoughtful and loving manner, can be powerful and effective tools for bringing about the type of change that could truly be liberating. After we break the chains of religious indoctrination, maybe we can also make a dent in the political nonsense that permeates our culture. I believe both religious and political dogma share many of the same characteristics. Keep up the great work.

Sincerely,

[name removed]
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Just a sincere thank you [#2672]
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 11:29:22 PM »
You're welcome. Look into paragraphs next time.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
Re: Just a sincere thank you [#2672]
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2012, 12:01:26 AM »
To whom it may concern:I want to thank you for the website WWGHA. I was not raised with religion and shed any and all religious tendencies many years ago after taking time to actually read the bible. I have read Richard Dawkins, enjoyed Penn & Teller, George Carlin, Christopher Hitchens and so on. I have often engaged people regarding their religious beliefs. The reason I am writing is to thank you for your website (along with godisimaginary.com) because as a result of these two websites, I have shifted my approach in my conversations. My past method of conversation was simply about justifying my non-religious position and trying to convince believers just how ridiculous their beliefs are. As you can well imagine I wasn't making much of a difference but I sure thought I was pretty smart. Now, I see what is truly possible for the world and all societies with less religion or no religion. No longer do I approach people from my prior mindset. I now see what is possible for humanity without religion and as such, have shed my snarky tone and condescending positions. My position is now one of compassion and understanding for how religion has manifested itself in our society, our culture and in the minds of my fellow humans. I now attempt to share with people what is possible without religion and instead of offering arguments against a belief in a deity, I ask questions or rather, beg of others to ask their own questions about how they arrived at their beliefs. Sometimes it is worthwhile to argue the point by point fallaciousness of the bible but more important to me is to inspire some independent thought about the history of religion and why so many adhere to it. I find this to be far more effective. At first I thought the two websites were clever and funny, and in many ways they are just that. But what I like most about them is they are thoughtful, considerate, and utilize a logical approach to understanding religion; particularly Christianity. It demonstrates how religion works, or rather, how it fails to achieve anything in reality. I have a few friends and a sister that absolutely refuse to visit either website and this is quite demonstrative of how provoking the names of the websites are. But deep inside, I believe these (otherwise) bright and intelligent people struggle internally with the belief system they have so long been attached to. There is a part of them that easily understands the inconsistencies, the scientific blunders and the abject horrid nature of so much of what the bible contains and yet, they have a tiger by the tail and refuse to let go. The chapters of both websites are excellent positions to offer when the subject of religion or god or jesus comes up and I thank you so much for assembling such a cogent and rational approach to transforming our world from one of superstitious dogma to one of rational thought. These conversations are gaining momentum and if delivered in a thoughtful and loving manner, can be powerful and effective tools for bringing about the type of change that could truly be liberating. After we break the chains of religious indoctrination, maybe we can also make a dent in the political nonsense that permeates our culture. I believe both religious and political dogma share many of the same characteristics. Keep up the great work.Sincerely,[name removed]
thanks, I needed a door stop ;)

....and while I agree with much you've said, just don't expect me to not call the theists funny sad and ridiculous in their hilarious acrobatic displays attempting the back cracking twists needed to defend their indefensible beliefs.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise