Author Topic: Theists - Lets discuss this man.  (Read 2929 times)

Offline shnozzola

Theists - Lets discuss this man.
« on: August 05, 2012, 06:20:39 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oscar_Pistorius

Pistorius has been the subject of criticism because of claims that his artificial limbs give him an advantage over runners with natural ankles and feet. He runs with J-shaped carbon-fibre prosthetics called the "Cheetah Flex-Foot" manufactured by Icelandic company Össur.[11]

Theists, look deeply into your thoughts and determine what part the god you believe in played in this man's life.  It shouldn't be too hard to make the next step.  Are you afraid that the god who's existence you could start to question is so petty as to damn you already?  I am not certain one way or another of god's existence - but in my opinion, the real "sin" we do is to dismiss people as "less than ourselves" who hold those viewpoints different than ours, such as witches, or sikhs, or atheists, or satanists, or muslims, or christians, or unitarian universalists, or the navaho, or anybody.

Look at the list below of how we divide and label out view points, and please rethink your certainties.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religions_and_spiritual_traditions
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 06:25:15 PM by shnozzola »
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
Re: Theists - Lets discuss this man.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 11:12:36 PM »
When I look at this man I do not feel sorry for him and I'm pretty sure he does not feel sorry for himself.  I see confidence, hard work and determination. I read that he is educated, outgoing and has a positive attitude.  What part did god play in this man's life? That is Oscar's decision.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +297/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 11:17:13 PM »
Is it the theists who are complaining? Or the losers? Or both?

;)

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2012, 09:40:35 AM »
Is at least one of the issues here that the fella has better ankles engineered by humans than the ones either engineered by evolution or "intellegent design?"

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2012, 10:25:11 AM »
Ugh, the six screws in my right ankle WISH my ankle was designed.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 10:46:39 AM »
Ugh, the six screws in my right ankle WISH my ankle was designed.
it was designed. And god said it was good. Had he seen these new ankles though he'd been like, "holy moly those ankles are the shiznit! How'd you guys come up with that!?! Is that carbon? WOW!!"

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 11:04:47 AM »
Is at least one of the issues here that the fella has better ankles engineered by humans than the ones either engineered by evolution or "intellegent design?"

I have not researched the pros and cons of artificial limbs, but that's certainly the first thing I wondered about. No issues with shin splints, bum ankles, stress on the joints, etc. And the amount of spring available from those artificial limbs is an interesting issue to ponder. If you want to make it fair to people with natural ankles and feet, how do you build the proper amount of spring/flex into it? Find the best athletes? How much is too much?

I don't have any answers, but I'm damned impressed with the technology!!!
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2012, 12:58:14 PM »
According to Leviticus 21, he couldn't be a priest:

18 No man who has any defect may come near: no man who is... lame, disfigured or deformed; 19 no man with a crippled foot... 23 because of his defect, he must not go near the curtain or approach the altar, and so desecrate my sanctuary.

Praise the lard.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2012, 01:26:10 PM »
According to Leviticus 21, he couldn't be a priest:

18 No man who has any defect may come near: no man who is... lame, disfigured or deformed; 19 no man with a crippled foot... 23 because of his defect, he must not go near the curtain or approach the altar, and so desecrate my sanctuary.

Praise the lard.
well, this one escaped my memory, but it also just about answers this website. Time to shut it down folks. Its been real.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +103/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2012, 09:06:06 PM »

http://en.wiped.org/wiki/Oscar_Pistorius

Pistorius has been the subject of criticism because of claims that his artificial limbs give him an advantage over runners with natural ankles and feet. He runs with J-shaped carbon-fibre prosthetics called the "Cheetah Flex-Foot" manufactured by Icelandic company Össur.[11]

Theists, look deeply into your thoughts and determine what part the god you believe in played in this man's life.  It shouldn't be too hard to make the next step.  Are you afraid that the god who's existence you could start to question is so petty as to damn you already?  I am not certain one way or another of god's existence - but in my opinion, the real "sin" we do is to dismiss people as "less than ourselves" who hold those viewpoints different than ours, such as witches, or sikhs, or atheists, or satanists, or muslims, or christians, or unitarian universalists, or the navaho, or anybody.

Look at the list below of how we divide and label out view points, and please rethink your certainties.

http://en.wiped.org/wiki/List_of_religions_and_spiritual_traditions
The difference in these people  (of the religious groups) is they all have their own goals and the agenda's on how they reach those goals. They don't care who they have to step on to gaurantee their group special rights or privileges while excluding other groups from these same rights and privileges.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Bluecolour

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2012, 12:05:05 PM »
I worry deeply for your conception of God. It has profited you neither knowledge of Him and His works, nor the understandings of his righteousness.
What manner of being do you presume him to be. He that made you. That even with all your flaws and imperfections loved you with a perfect love so that YOU also might become perfect.
You truly do not know Him or His works. But by slandering him and denying him you call yourself bastards. For every child that is born has his name and purpose by his father, and only the child without a father is born without purpose. How do you then by your actions call yourself the sons of nothing.
You have chosen to hate and so Hatred has you.
But you abjectly deny Love and by it deny that you are loved by Him.

But you asked what part God played in this mans life, so here...

http://www.christian.co.uk/sport/blade-runner-pistorius-gives-god-the-glory-p11064

Are you not ashamed, even the things of God you would pervert to serve your ends. You childishly seek to destroy men's faith; but look up, and see that this same faith is responsible for all these miracles you see around you.

Still, the understanding of these things is far from you, but it was YOU who distanced your heart.
I have given this to you so that you might not continue to argue like fools and laugh your drunken laughs but with the hopes that you might be silent, look sharp, and see that this mans victory did not come from him or from his doctors, but from the Lord.

Despite the many obstacles he's faced and continues to face, Pistorius is a true champion. He is very clear about the source of his strength during the trials he has faced: “Christ makes all the difference. He aids me in my struggles and makes my glories that much better.”

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2012, 12:10:24 PM »
What manner of being do you presume him to be. He that made you. That even with all your flaws and imperfections loved you with a perfect love so that YOU also might become perfect.

You'd think that perfect love from a perfect being might be a little more...oh, I dunno...perfect? Unambiguous? Real?

There's a reason it's not perfect, and it's not what you think.

It's because your god is an imaginary construct.

Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2012, 12:32:58 PM »
Hi, Bluecolour, welcome to WWGHA.

I worry deeply for your conception of God.

We can only go by the information that we have.  Scripture says that Yahweh likes the smell of burning fat, for example, so that's what we go with.  What would you have us do otherwise?

It has profited you neither knowledge of Him and His works, nor the understandings of his righteousness.

Same answer.

What manner of being do you presume him to be.

And again.

He that made you.

I don't know that Yahweh did make me, but:

That even with all your flaws and imperfections loved you with a perfect love so that YOU also might become perfect.

If he made me and I'm flawed, then the fact that I'm flawed is his fault, not mine.

You truly do not know Him or His works.

Again, we can only go by the information we receive -- and that's assuming that he even exists at all, which is by no means a given.

But by slandering him and denying him

You can't slander a fictional character.  As for denying him, well... if he exists and wants me to believe in him, let him do something about it.

you call yourself bastards.

What does my parents' marital status have to do with anything?

For every child that is born has his name and purpose by his father

Name, yes (although people can change their names, too... I did, for example).  Purpose, not so much.

and only the child without a father is born without purpose.

To the best of my knowledge in the fields of medicine and history, there has never once been born a child without a father.  It's a biological impossibility.

How do you then by your actions call yourself the sons of nothing.

Who is calling himself that?

Chosen to hate who or what?  (Don't say God... atheists don't hate god, that isn't even possible for an atheist.)

But you abjectly deny Love

Who's doing that?

and by it deny that you are loved by Him.

I don't even know that he exists at all, let alone whether he loves me or not -- according to scripture, there are quite a few people that he hates, and I may well be one of them.

But you asked what part God played in this mans life, so here...

What part of him getting those artificial legs was performed by god?  Please be specific.  Everything I see there was done by people, not god.

Are you not ashamed

No.

even the things of God you would pervert to serve your ends.

What are these things, and how are we perverting them?

You childishly seek to destroy men's faith; but look up, and see that this same faith is responsible for all these miracles you see around you.

Which miracles?

Still, the understanding of these things is far from you

No, I think it's all pretty straightforward...

but it was YOU who distanced your heart.

How?
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +537/-13
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2012, 12:43:18 PM »
I worry deeply for your conception of God. It has profited you neither knowledge of Him and His works, nor the understandings of his righteousness.
Naturally, as atheists do not have conceptions of gods except as imagined beings.  Any knowledge of such a being, whatever works it might have done, and any qualities it might have, is similarly imaginary.  You must first be able to demonstrate that such a being is real and not imaginary, and to do so, you must provide evidence to show this.

Quote from: Bluecolour
My parents are the ones who 'made' me.  It was their sperm and ova which combined to form my genetic code.  This applies to all humans, including yourself.  And as I said just above, until you can show that God is not an imaginary being, you cannot credit him with anything that happens in the real world.

You truly do not know Him or His works. But by slandering him and denying him you call yourself bastards. For every child that is born has his name and purpose by his father, and only the child without a father is born without purpose. How do you then by your actions call yourself the sons of nothing.
Remember, you can't credit anything to God until you've shown that he really exists.  That means that any claim you make as to him being the father of the human race is irrelevant.

Neither, actually.  I strive not to hate, for the simple reason that hatred tends to scar the mind.  And I certainly do not deny love, for the equally simple reason that it tends to make me a better person.  But I don't have to believe in a god to do that.

Since the rest of your post continues in that vein, I see little point in writing the same basic point half-a-dozen different ways.

Online Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 02:25:09 PM »

Pushing aside all this psycho preaching, I just want ask;

Are you aware that we honestly do not think that god exists?

Are you aware that in that light, all that talk about "his works and his righteousness" sounds like nonsense?

You think of Optimus Prime as a fictional character, right?  Imagine someone saying "You truly do not know Optimus Prime or His works. But by slandering Optimus Prime and denying him you call yourself bastards".  Does that prompt you to take it seriously, or does it sounds like goofy nonsense?

Oh, and stop referring to god as "Him".  Whenever I see that, I think of the guy from The Powerpuff Girls.  I doubt that's the mental image you want to give me.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 03:23:17 PM »
Okay, I usually wouldn't be quite this disrespectful to a theist on these boards, but
a. being that preachy deserves a little condescension. and
b. its really funny.

To be fair, he doesn't turn into a fire engine, but still.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Bluecolour

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2012, 03:49:54 PM »
I think this Prime may have a serious savior complex.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2012, 08:38:33 PM »
The Powerpuff Girls are awesome.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2012, 09:42:17 PM »

I don't know...

Online Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2012, 11:49:10 PM »

To be fair, he doesn't turn into a fire engine, but still.

Actually, one version of him did.

http://tfwiki.net/wiki/Fire_Convoy
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2012, 05:57:42 AM »
May be true, but a. not the one pictured. and b. Not the iconic version.

IMO, should have just said "bitching Semi" instead of firetruck.  Theology of Prime, being discussed right here!

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2012, 03:19:13 PM »
......It has profited you neither knowledge of Him and His works, nor the understandings of his righteousness.
We had a microphone in the front of the sanctuary when I was a teenager.  Some Sundays the minister would invite anyone in the congregation to come up if they had something to share.  An older woman, I belief her first name was Ruth, would slowly make her way, and with everyone knowing what to expect, would begin with the chapters of the bible she had memorized over a few weeks.  She was very sincere, beliefed every word, and meant no one harm.  She had parkinsons and held a handkerchief in her hands as they shook.

These words of yours above remind me of Ruth's memorized verses - but I'm not sure you think about what you spout out.

How dare you say that to me!  Where have I chosen hate?  Which type of christian are you?  Could you KILL me now?  Have you branded me evil, and now I am less than you?  I won't call you a bastard - it is too disrespectfull and I don't know you.  But please continue to believe as you do - I'm sure you are a better person than me because of your beliefs.

this mans victory did not come from him or from his doctors, but from the Lord.
This shows how precisely you missed my point.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 03:31:10 PM by shnozzola »
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +256/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2012, 12:21:44 AM »
You truly do not know Him or His works. But by slandering him and denying him you call yourself bastards.

Well, I don't see your little hissy-fit god as a relative of Mine.  But better to be illegitimate than to be in the family of such a one as the god of the Bible.

...only the child without a father is born without purpose.

Bluecolour, it doesn't matter in the slightest what "purpose" a parent has in mind for a child.  It is the child's perception of purpose, and only the child's perception of purpose, that truly matters.

Absolutely false.  I affirm Love when I deny the god of the Bible.  If even one thinking, feeling being is condemned to eternal torment, whether it be for a behaviour or the thought crime of being unable to suspend disbelief, the god of the Bible automatically and permanently becomes infinitely evil... and the very antithesis of Love.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline hiraichu

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2012, 03:11:36 AM »
Goodness, I'm so tempted to say "He's so blessed." mainly out of habit.
Yes, he is lesser.
Lesser meaning he's missing a limb but did that hinder him from running? This guy devised a way to make up for what he is missing. This guy is an inspiration to those who have complete body parts, like seriously. If I were in his place, I may never have thought of running because of my lack of a foot.
Face it, we were never physically equal when we entered this world. I don't believe in putting others down because they are physically, mentally, spiritually, financially, (insert-ally) or emotionally lesser/greater.  ;D It's silly and arrogant to think yourself higher or lower than others.
I'm just saying he's missing a leg, but did that stop him?  ;D

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2012, 06:15:56 AM »
I worry deeply for your conception of God.

I worry deeply about your arrogance and bigotry.  You might want to understand a bit about the people you're insulting before you go off on an angry rant insulting them.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline caveat_imperator

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 03:34:18 AM »

I don't know...

They're a lot better than that crazy yaweh character.
You can't prove a negative of an existence postulate.

Offline Andrew

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-12
  • WWGHA Member
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 04:02:03 PM »
Don't you see what's going on here. You are all blinded by this dellusion and the only reason this site is here is because satan has used it.  And used some stupid question to de-convert a few weak souls and set them on the way to hell. SO satan glorifies some retarded question because he used it to steal a few people away so that they will eventually end up in hell. That's why this site and it's stupid question are here and being glorified by you - the dellusional weak children of the devil.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +812/-5
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 04:20:00 PM »
Proofreading is your friend, Andrew.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 04:44:34 PM »
Don't you see what's going on here. You are all blinded by this dellusion and the only reason this site is here is because satan has used it.  And used some stupid question to de-convert a few weak souls and set them on the way to hell. SO satan glorifies some retarded question because he used it to steal a few people away so that they will eventually end up in hell. That's why this site and it's stupid question are here and being glorified by you - the dellusional weak children of the devil.

Hi Andrew, and welcome to the forum.

You raise some interesting issues.  As I read your post, some questions came to mind.   They are  questions that have been asked on this site many times before, but I would be interested in hearing your take on them.

If your god is omnipotent and omniscient, why would he let his nemesis Satan play such a silly trick on innocent souls?  Did your god know, at the beginning of time, that souls would be stolen away from him by THIS VERY website?  And if so, it seems like God created some pretty evil stuff.  Or at least allowed it to be created.

For that matter, why would an all powerful god, who created EVERYTHING, even allow a being like Satan to exist?  Is this all part of his big test?