Author Topic: Karma Suggestion  (Read 576 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Karma Suggestion
« on: August 05, 2012, 03:51:05 PM »
If possible, I feel that it'd be best to prevent any member from applauding/smiting new members 'til they have accumulated a specific amount of posts. Perhaps 25 or similar. I think some new members may be turned away by being smited by regular members for things they say. What they may say may be from the lack of knowing the rules and guidelines of the website which, most (even many of us) have not read in joining. I think most are smited based on rules, and I think some are applauded just for joining, or announcing they are an atheist which I find to be nonsense (opinion).

Just an idea.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: Karma Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2012, 04:06:54 PM »
I'm not sure if that is possible.  Will check though...

Edit:  looks like we would have to enter the ID of each new user manually to restrict Karma against them.  Plus, it would also prevent positive Karma for newbies!
« Last Edit: August 05, 2012, 04:13:09 PM by jetson »

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +283/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2012, 04:20:38 PM »
Perhaps a simple addendum to the rules, asking people not to smite newbies?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2012, 04:22:29 PM »
I mention positive. I feel it would better serve newer members, especially those of religious persuasion who are consistently smited for regurgitated posts, which may be warranred but doesn't really open them for dialogue when they are constantly smited by members who are tired of said rhetoric.

An opinion.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2012, 06:33:15 PM »
Yeah I don't think there's a permission to do it.
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2012, 06:39:16 PM »
Well at least the newbies know why they are getting smited, and by whom. Without this SMF mod they wouldn't see anything but numbers in their profile.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2012, 10:43:39 PM »
Yes, but they shouldn't be smited for doing probably what they do everywhere else. I know the point is: they should read the rules beforehand but I didn't read the rules before joining, or right after I did. And, I doubt most anyone else here did either. (Unless they helped write the rules) It's something one gradually does. Sort of like reading "Terms of Service". It's usually a learned process. Meaning: you do it as you go along.

I am not stating the smites aren't warranted, I am sure most of them are but it doesn't necessarily tell them to stick around if all they are are inundated with things they have no real understanding of. I think a 25 comment limit would give ample time to adjust to the forum based on the rules and how discussions work around here. After that: free game.

-Nam