Author Topic: Hello  (Read 655 times)

Offline Saurus

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Hello
« on: August 04, 2012, 03:03:42 PM »
Hi everyone! I'm 17 years old and agnostic atheist. I've been reading this forum for a bit and finally decided to join. I have really enjoyed reading some of our arguments and I feel they have helped me understand the world a bit better and come up with better arguments the few times I've had to discuss religion. I don't know how much I'll be able to contribute to the discussion but I'll try my best. :)

This is the first time I've joined a forum so I'm a bit nervous. Yes I understand this is the internets and it is all anonymous here but I still am and I'm not going to lie about it. I obviously don't have as much knowledge as a lot of you on this forum and I won't know as much but my goal is to grow and learn from this experience.

Thanks for your time :)

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 03:24:34 PM »
Welcome aboard! Lotta stuff to learn here in so many different areas. I certainly read more than i post too so make yourself comfy.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 03:25:57 PM »
Welcome to the forum.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 03:31:46 PM »
Welcome to the forum Saurus.

You know something?  It is ok to not have a lot of knowledge.  Ask questions.  If you don't understand the answers, as again, in a different way.  If you don't agree with the answers, go ahead and say so. 

Some discussions here get pretty heated, and you can watch or join in, or participate however you feel comfortable. 

I look forward to learning more about you and your interests and your views on life.  Is you family secular or religious?  Or mixed?

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2012, 03:43:19 PM »
Hello Saurus,

Welcome to the forum. I personally enjoy honesty, I find it refreshing. I'd rather talk to an inquisitive mind than someone who is opposed to learning new ideas. I look forward to your post and hope you enjoy the forum. 
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline Saurus

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2012, 03:54:10 PM »
Thanks you guys for the warm welcome!

@Quesi

My family is atheist, so I grew up as one. My parents are both Estonian but we moved to Canada and Estonia tends to have a low religious belief rate anyways.

When I was young (kindergartenish) people would always say whether they were Christian or Muslim or whatever and I never understood what they were talking about. I didn't understand religion and why people would believe in god. As I got older I would sometimes debate religion with friends and would always get stuck on their circular reasoning for example when I asked them who created god, they replied "god created himself" and of course I didn't know how to reply. I guess those times got me thinking more about all of this stuff and wanting to know more answers, which led me here.

I've lived my life relatively peacefully, I used to fear the nothingness of death but I've gotten over it. I'm planning to live this life as well as I can and get the most out of it. :)

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 04:08:21 PM »
Thanks you guys for the warm welcome!

@Quesi

My family is atheist, so I grew up as one. My parents are both Estonian but we moved to Canada and Estonia tends to have a low religious belief rate anyways.

When I was young (kindergartenish) people would always say whether they were Christian or Muslim or whatever and I never understood what they were talking about. I didn't understand religion and why people would believe in god. As I got older I would sometimes debate religion with friends and would always get stuck on their circular reasoning for example when I asked them who created god, they replied "god created himself" and of course I didn't know how to reply. I guess those times got me thinking more about all of this stuff and wanting to know more answers, which led me here.

I've lived my life relatively peacefully, I used to fear the nothingness of death but I've gotten over it. I'm planning to live this life as well as I can and get the most out of it. :)

Nice.  I grew up in a secular household as well, with religious folks in my extended family. 

The forum is an interesting mix of people.  A lot of folks grew up in religious households, and faced a difficult break from tradition and their families.  For those of us who grew up secular, the complex belief systems held by our friends (and perhaps extended family) are sometimes confusing, sometimes exotic, sometimes just plain silly. 

Nothing wrong with fearing death.  Life is precious.  I don't so much fear death, as I mourn the end of life, the absence of loved ones, and for me, I really resent the fact that I'm gonna miss the good stuff that is going on when I'm gone. 

Offline Saurus

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2012, 02:49:26 AM »

Nothing wrong with fearing death.  Life is precious.  I don't so much fear death, as I mourn the end of life, the absence of loved ones, and for me, I really resent the fact that I'm gonna miss the good stuff that is going on when I'm gone.

Yes, I agree. What helped me through was thinking that though my consciousness may be gone, my body is going nowhere. I will live on in all the other beings that use my decaying body for their own life. It's really awe inspiring to think that once our atoms were created from the remains of some sun and that they have been put together now in this complex body to create something that works and laughs and lives. :)