Author Topic: Just in case you thought that Usain Bolt was fast...  (Read 209 times)

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Just in case you thought that Usain Bolt was fast...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 02:51:09 PM »
Can't people add a snippet of the article. My phone doesn't connect with all websites. Plus, it's polite whether on the phone or not.

I know this may sound hypocritical but I do provide links and as much information as I can when posting a topic (on the phone), this is just a link.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2012, 03:03:17 PM »
   Okay here you go. This is from the National Geographic web site. The Cincinnati zoo has a cheetah named Sarah that ran the 100m dash in 5.95 seconds compered to Usain Bolt's world record of 9.58 seconds. Most of this information is in the wording of the link itself but I hope this helps.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2012, 03:11:00 PM »
On a USA Track & Field-certified course established by the Cincinnati Zoo, the 11-year-old cheetah was radar-timed at up to 61 miles (98 kilometers) an hour, according to a Thursday announcement by zoo officials and National Geographic magazine. The magazine photographed Sarah and other zoo cheetahs for a project to be featured in its November issue, which will include unprecedented high-speed pictures.

Sarah's June 20 sprint is the fastest timed 100 meters ever run by anything on the planet, the officials said—though it was no suprise to Cathryn Hilker, founder of the Cincinnati Zoo's Cat Ambassador Program, who helped raise Sarah from a cub.

Image is of Sarah; she's running. Appears to be very fast and I wouldn't want to be her food.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2012, 03:26:06 PM »
Cheetahs have always been known to be the fastest animals on the planet. So, one beats a record. That's not really news to me. But that's one animal I never wish to get into a fight with.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 03:51:59 PM »
What you don't want to own one as a pet?!?

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2012, 04:24:28 PM »
Maybe a panther. I saw one once running the fields in Ocala, Florida. Some cars stopped along the way to North Florida were watching the panther. I just drove on but I never saw one in the "wild", per se.

-Nam

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2012, 04:36:29 PM »
I've always been fascinated by "big" cats. They very beautiful and and intriguing creatures, but I can't for the life of me understand the fascination people experience when they actually choose to own one.