Author Topic: Abortion, Pearl Harbor and 9-11  (Read 1484 times)

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Abortion, Pearl Harbor and 9-11
« on: August 01, 2012, 01:29:19 PM »
Looks like this is the forum to put this.

A House Republican lawmaker likened the implementation of a new mandate that insurers offer coverage for contraceptive services to Pearl Harbor and the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks against the United States.

Pennsylvania Rep. Mike Kelly (R), an ardent opponent of abortion rights, said that today's date would live in infamy alongside those two other historic occasions. Wednesday marked the day on which a controversial new requirement by the Department of Health and Human Services, which requires health insurance companies to cover contraceptive services for women, goes into effect.

"I know in your mind you can think of times when America was attacked. One is December 7th, that's Pearl Harbor day.  The other is September 11th, and that's the day of the terrorist attack," Kelly said at a press conference on Capitol Hill. "I want you to remember August the 1st, 2012, the attack on our religious freedom That is a day that will live in infamy, along with those other dates.".

I find it irrational that someone can place contraceptive services for women on the level of those events.

(edit) oops, forgot to add link

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/08/01/13070876-republican-likens-contraceptive-mandate-to-pearl-harbor-911?lite&__utma=14933801.1526479660.1343649360.1343836659.1343844723.10&__utmb=14933801.5.10.1343844723&__utmc=14933801&__utmx=-&__utmz=14933801.1343649360.1.1.utmcsr=(direct)|utmccn=(direct)|utmcmd=(none)&__utmv=14933801.|8=Earned%20By=msnbc%7Ccover=1^12=Landing%20Content=Mixed=1^13=Landing%20Hostname=www.nbcnews.com=1^30=Visit%20Type%20to%20Content=Earned%20to%20Mixed=1&__utmk=106076803
« Last Edit: August 01, 2012, 01:35:02 PM by stuffin »
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Abortion, Pearl Harbor and 9-11
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 01:44:33 PM »
http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/08/01/13070876-republican-likens-contraceptive-mandate-to-pearl-harbor-911

Most of the the link was safe to chop off.

I agree, incidentally.  There is no comparison whatsoever between a requirement that insurance covers contraception and military attacks on the US.  That this representative is so ignorant that he would claim so is a pretty good indication that he isn't competent to represent anyone.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +272/-31
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 02:01:23 PM »
He is competent to represent those who are similarly ignorant.  He's a very accurate representation of such people.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 02:09:05 PM »
What a silly, silly man. 

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 02:18:38 PM »
What a silly, silly man.

no.  He's dangerous.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 02:39:23 PM »
What a silly, silly man.

no.  He's dangerous.

You are right, of course.  For now, he is dangerous. 

But I suspect that 50 years from now, 100 years from now, no one will remember either the vote or the date or his name.  At most, I suspect he might be a footnote in history as someone who stood against basic freedoms, and school kids will shake their heads in disbelief at his views. 

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 02:47:01 PM »
ARG!!!!!!!  >:(  When did morons take over the universe?????
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +96/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 02:50:03 PM »
ARG!!!!!!!  >:(  When did morons take over the universe?????

when gawd created it?   8)
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 02:59:18 PM »
The OP brings to mind the perplexing belief of certain Christians that I know, which is that once the sperm fertilizes the egg, a human soul enters that "body". They claim, therefore, that if you cause this "person" to die, you are committing murder. However, the miscarriage rate is so significant that I would ask these Christians why God would let so many "babies" die and call it a sin when women use birth control and/or get an abortion.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001488.htm

It is estimated that up to half of all fertilized eggs die and are lost (aborted) spontaneously, usually before the woman knows she is pregnant. Among those women who know they are pregnant, the miscarriage rate is about 15-20%.

"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 03:01:41 PM »
However, the miscarriage rate is so significant that I would ask these Christians why God would let so many "babies" die and call it a sin when women use birth control and/or get an abortion.

That's punishment for all the equal rights[1] and fact-based education[2] that has been going around.
 1. Which they refer to as "gay marriage", "women being allowed to vote" and such.
 2. Which they refer to as "liberal brainwashing".
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline curiousgirl

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +22/-0
  • Inquisitive agnostic atheist
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 03:04:28 PM »
Yeah, God does have a track record for killing kids for their parents' sins...  ;)
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence."-Carl Sagan

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 03:29:38 PM »
Okay, so.... I am 32, and only been really interested in politics for about the last 5-8 years.

Question for some of the older guys around here, or perhaps those more versed in the area than I....  Is this level of right-wing.... douchebaggery something that has been around for a while, or is it as new as it seems?  These guys are starting to seem so full or rhetoric and exaggeration that its hard to believe that so many people actually take them seriously.  I mean this guys said something THIS stupid on the record, in public, for posterity in the halls of government of the worlds primary power (no offense to China, please dont call in your loans)?  Its no wonder so many other countries think we are conceited-conservo-christian-asshats.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 03:39:06 PM »
I guess Roe vs. Wade in 1973 does not count as one of those dates in this guy's mind.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2012, 03:44:25 PM »
Is this the same guy that said women who have miscarriages should go to jail, or is this a different guy?

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 03:54:04 PM »
Our jails are pretty empty so I guess that would help to fill them up. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2012, 04:30:43 PM »

Most US jails are owned by publicly traded, for-profit corporations these days.  The more prisoners, the higher the profits.  Better bonuses for the CEO's.  More dividends for the shareholders.

Oh.  And tax dollars pay the publicly-traded for profit corporations to incarcerate these criminals.

It is a win/win situation.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2012, 04:34:22 PM »
Let's start a prison and jail all the religious nuts while making a profit!

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 06:51:10 AM »
Is this level of right-wing.... douchebaggery something that has been around for a while, or is it as new as it seems?

it started around 1996 and has escalated since.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 06:56:54 AM »
The OP brings to mind the perplexing belief of certain Christians that I know, which is that once the sperm fertilizes the egg, a human soul enters that "body".

Funny thing is ... this interpretation of human reproduction comes closer to the quran than anything in the bible!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 06:58:39 AM by Fiji »
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +85/-2
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 07:02:31 AM »
Is this level of right-wing.... douchebaggery something that has been around for a while, or is it as new as it seems?

I've often wondered ... if you made a list of Obama's actions these past four-ish years, and presented that to someone from the early 90s ... would that person recognise him as a democrat ... or would they figure he was a republican president who tossed in that Obama-care thingy to appease the democrats?
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2012, 09:07:28 AM »

And you know, I think that the republican lunatics are successfully pushing away any moderates within the party. 

I always liked James Jeffords.  A republican who was elected to a wide range of offices since 1966, he left the party in 2001 out of frustration.  Here is a little blub about him from wikipedia:

Jeffords consistently voted against the ban on partial-birth abortion, and also against a harsher line on Cuba. In 1995 he was one of only 16 Senators to vote against the Communications Decency Act. The Supreme Court later struck it down as unconstitutional. Jeffords highly advocated LGBT rights in the workplace. He sponsored The Employee Non Discrimination Act of 1995 (104th Congress), 1997 (105th Congress), and 1999 (106th Congress). Jeffords Non Discrimination bills did not include "gender identity." He was in the minority of Republicans to oppose the Flag Desecration Amendment. On guns his record was mixed, despite voting for the Brady Bill and the Assault Weapons Ban, he voted with gun control opponents against background checks at gun shows in 1999 and he voted with the majority of Congress for the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act. He took a more moderate line on the death penalty. On many economic issues Jeffords was roughly in line with the majority of the Republican Party, before and after his switch: he mostly supported free-trade agreements, voted for making enforcement of consumer protection laws more difficult by moving many class-action lawsuits into federal courts, tighter bankruptcy rules, and a Balanced Budget Amendment. Even after becoming an independent, he did vote with Republicans on many major pieces of legislation. For example, Jeffords did vote against the Bipartisan Patient Protection Act, a bill supported strongly by Republican John McCain and many moderate Republicans like Olympia Snowe, Arlen Specter, and Mike DeWine. Two years later he voted for the prescription drug bill, derided by many Democrats as a give away to drug companies and opposed by many conservative Republicans who opposed further federal spending, but ultimately strongly supported by President George W. Bush, and the vast majority of the Republican Party.

On October 11, 2002, Jeffords was one of 23 senators to vote against authorizing the use of military force in Iraq. Shortly after that, he was one of only nine senators to vote against the bill establishing the Department of Homeland Security. On November 11, 2003 Jeffords was one of only four senators to vote against the Syria Accountability and Lebanese Sovereignty Restoration Act, a bill which received strong support from politicians from across the aisle.
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Jeffords

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2012, 09:14:44 AM »
I always liked James Jeffords.

new england repub.  Very different tradition from the tea baggers.  They tended to be non-evangelical, WASPy, blue blood elitists.  Like the bush family used to be.  Conservative in the pro-business sense, not so much the social sense.

It was the coalition of fiscal conservatives (IE, rich bastards) and social conservatives (IE uneducated fundies) around 1980 that made the republican party nutzoid.  The rich bastards were willing to advance any crazy idea the fundies wanted as long as the fundies supported the rich bastards rigging the system so they could make more money.

Now, they are hopelessly fucked.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2012, 09:38:44 AM »
I always liked James Jeffords.

new england repub.  Very different tradition from the tea baggers.  They tended to be non-evangelical, WASPy, blue blood elitists.  Like the bush family used to be.  Conservative in the pro-business sense, not so much the social sense.

It was the coalition of fiscal conservatives (IE, rich bastards) and social conservatives (IE uneducated fundies) around 1980 that made the republican party nutzoid.  The rich bastards were willing to advance any crazy idea the fundies wanted as long as the fundies supported the rich bastards rigging the system so they could make more money.

Now, they are hopelessly fucked.

Gosh Screwtape.  When you paint him in that light, how could we not feel all warm and fuzzy about him? 

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +677/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2012, 10:27:41 AM »
Sorry.  I didn't mean he was a bad guy or anything.  I just meant that the area he represented breeds a less pernicious conservative.  The Romneybot was a relatively moderate repub when he was in Massachussetts.  Now that he's gone national, he's also had to go crazy.

I prefer the waspy blue bloods to the fundies any day.  They just want to legally steal everything.  The fundies want to control your mind.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +323/-84
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2012, 11:16:10 AM »
I used to vote Republican more than Democrat. I voted for the moderates. They seem to be relatively gone from my districts in Florida. Now, except 1 or 2 moderates that somehow have remained locally, I mainly vote Democratic.

-Nam

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2012, 09:32:04 PM »

Not sure if you're joking about this. You realize that America has more prisoners per capita than any other nation right? We have almost 2 million people in jail. And as Quesi said, most of our prison system is privatized and for-profit. I would add that the reason it's been privatized is because our politicians realized they could personally profit by sending more people to prison and then investing in those prisons.

They somehow convince the public to go along with it, despite the fact that private prisons charge the taxpayers 2.5x more than state-owned prisons. Where does that extra money go? Into the pockets of the shareholders, who also happen to be the people who make the laws that put people in prison.

Since the big for-profit prison boom, sentences have been getting longer and longer, and we have more inmates today than ever before in history, and more than any other nation on Earth.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 09:57:52 PM by joebbowers »
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2012, 09:50:10 PM »
^ yeah, not to be a jerk about it, but pretty sure the  ;) implied sarcasm.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin