Author Topic: Anyone want to debate the resurrection?  (Read 618 times)

Offline switch

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Anyone want to debate the resurrection?
« on: August 01, 2012, 12:35:53 AM »
Would anyone like to debate whether Jesus of Nazareth was resurrected? I'm arguing against the proposition.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
Re: Anyone want to debate the resurrection?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2012, 12:54:14 AM »
Maybe not debate it...but I'd like to see what your main objectiosn are.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2012, 01:29:55 AM »
Not to mention how much is being accepted for the sake of argument (or otherwise).

"Jesus of Nazareth was not ressurrected" implies the existence of a person with the title Jesus of Nazareth, who was not ressurrected.  That position pretty much requires one to accept some of the contents of the NT as a data source.

If that is not switch's intention, then a differently-worded proposition might be in order.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline switch

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2012, 02:49:01 AM »
Maybe not debate it...but I'd like to see what your main objectiosn are.

I've recently published a short e-book on the subject that lays out my position on the issue.

"Jesus of Nazareth was not ressurrected" implies the existence of a person with the title Jesus of Nazareth, who was not ressurrected.  That position pretty much requires one to accept some of the contents of the NT as a data source.

Yes, it's my opinion that there probably was an historical Jesus. In any case, the resurrection argument can be defeated without using the mythicist objection. Also, I see no problem with taking the New Testament as a data source, although I don't think the NT ought to be considered infallible, or even anything more than marginally reliable.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2012, 07:13:09 AM »
Since he was an imaginary character I'm going with ...NO.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 08:14:44 AM »
Also, I see no problem with taking the New Testament as a data source, although I don't think the NT ought to be considered infallible, or even anything more than marginally reliable.

How about the other contemporary stories about jesus H that were excluded from the NT?  Gospel of Mary?  Gospel of Thomas? 
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline pianodwarf

• Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 08:18:39 AM »
How about the other contemporary stories about jesus H that were excluded from the NT?  Gospel of Mary?  Gospel of Thomas?

If we were talking about fantasy or science fiction, you'd probably say that the books of the NT are canon, whereas the Gospel of Thomas et al are more like fanfic.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 08:26:15 AM »
If we were talking about fantasy or science fiction, you'd probably say that the books of the NT are canon, whereas the Gospel of Thomas et al are more like fanfic.

It's all fanfic.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2012, 08:28:21 AM »
The distinction between canon and fanfic is arbitrary, and has nothing to do with the veracity of the story (which is all being accepted as fictional with that comparison).

EDIT:  Just noticed something...why is this thread in the Forum Questions & Suggestions section?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline pianodwarf

• Darwins +206/-5
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2012, 08:37:01 AM »

It's all fanfic.

I guess that's true, since no one holds the copyrights and we don't have access to the originals.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 09:11:15 AM »
Think of the NT as a genre mag, like Heavy Metal, that published essays & stories on a specific topic - jesus H.  The editors were really picky, really opinionated and only allowed in stories they all liked.  So the non-canon stories are not so much fanfic that used ideas of characters from the "original", but parallel, original material that got rejected for rather arbitrary and dogmatic reasons.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2012, 09:47:33 AM »

It's all fanfic.

I'm gonna go ahead and call this quote of the day.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline pianodwarf

• Darwins +206/-5
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2012, 09:57:38 AM »
I'm gonna go ahead and call this quote of the day.

Sounds like a plan.  And anyone here with two good ears had better listen!

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2012, 06:26:56 AM »
I've been waiting for someone to join me in a formal debate on this subject...but also in opposition to the proposition that Jesus was resurrected.  So, we'd just be agreeing and high-fiving each other--not much of a debate, lol.
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2012, 06:46:36 AM »
Would anyone like to debate whether Jesus of Nazareth was resurrected? I'm arguing against the proposition.
If you truly wish to debate the resurrection, shouldn't you be doing that on a christian site. I could give you the name of a few. Pm me for them.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12