Author Topic: What weapons do criminals in the U.K. use to commit crimes?  (Read 541 times)

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
I figured since we have some Brits they would know this.

For example robbery, burglary, domestic violence, kidnapping, etc. Since the U.K. has such strict gun control (so I've heard) do the criminals prefer knives, fists, sticks, or do they just yell loudly at the victims?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +193/-8
Re: What weapons do criminals in the U.K. use to commit crimes?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 06:33:27 PM »
Food
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 06:41:42 PM »

domestic violence

I almost hate to discuss it, due to the appalling nature of the abuse. But apparently the very worst perpetrators only allow their victims access to cable TV channels which run American infotainment programms 24/7.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 06:45:26 PM »
It varies, very rarely it's a gun. Though it does happen, like when the restaurant my brother worked at got robbed. But if you're going to be threatened with something, chances are it'll be a knife. But you don't have to have a weapon to rob someone. There's pickpockets and people who'll rob you when you're not in your house. People can knock you out cold to kidnap you or use chloroform. In domestic abuse, somebody doesn't need a gun to dominate the victim.

I'd say pretty much same way as Americans do, but with the use of fewer guns and fewer people being murdered overall.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 06:53:55 PM »
There's pickpockets and people who'll rob you when you're not in your house. People can knock you out cold to kidnap you or use chloroform.

Yea, it sounds like you all are way more skilled/creative at committing crimes than we are.  :)

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +555/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 07:19:21 PM »
I figured since we have some Brits they would know this.

For example , etc. Since the U.K. has such strict gun control (so I've heard) do the criminals prefer knives, fists, sticks, or do they just yell loudly at the victims?
The use of weapons in robbery, burglary, domestic violence, and kidnapping is quite low. Burglars very rarely carry weapons, domestic violence is usually fists, kidnapping is usually brute force and/or deception.

You don't say what sort of robbery; personal or, say, a security van. Personal robbery is usually fists or sometimes a knife. Jewellery shops tend to be smash and grab - no weapons. Security van robbers had a lot of success dressing as policemen but when that stopped, a[sawn-off] shotgun backed up by pick-axe handles became popular (shotguns are not too difficult to obtain), illegal handguns have been used too.

The main problem now is drug gangs who tend to shoot each other and often the twats miss and shoot some by-stander or target the wrong person.

The problem with being a criminal and using a gun is that once it happens, the police are all over the whole associated community like a rash, making life difficult for every honest criminal. To get the police out of their hair, the criminals point fingers and so information on who fired the shot is not too difficult to come by. Careers as armed robbers tend to be short.

Recorded firearm crime is not at all a very good guide to anything, I quote from the House of Commons "Firearm crime statistics 2011 - www.parliament.uk/briefing-papers/SN01940.pdf
Some offences involve the use of imitation weapons, while others involve the use of a ‘supposed firearm’ (i.e. a concealed object presumed to be a firearm).
On top of this, any incident in which "something looks like a gun" is counted as a firearms offence. As does, just possessing a firearm or failing to renew registration, or keeping it insecurely, letting your friend fire it or possess it whilst loaded, etc.

As if this weren't enough, there are statements such as,
Robberies accounted for 42% of non-air weapon offences compared to 1% of air weapon offences.
This makes it seem as if 42% or robberies were armed robberies - this is not the case at all - it is the percentage of weapons offences, not of the robberies, for which no figures are given.

Crimes using a weapon" is not, as far as I am aware kept as a statistic - You can look here, http://www.homeoffice.gov.uk/science-research/research-statistics/crime/crime-statistics/ but I don't think it will help as to be meaningful, it would have to be, "Crimes where you could have used a weapon but didn't, as opposed to those crimes where a weapon was used, except those crimes where there was a weapon but no one saw the point of it or it wasn't loaded, capable of hurting anyone or was an imitation and not counting technical offences, etc."

I do hope HAL is not going to say, "So despite all this tyrannical and despotic oppression in gun-ownership, people still use weapons, so why do you still allow knives/ pick-axe handles, etc... and how do you protect your loved ones against drug gangs."
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 07:27:09 PM »
The problem with being a criminal and using a gun is that once it happens, the police are all over the whole associated community like a rash, making life difficult for every honest criminal.

I honestly don't understand what you mean by "honest criminal".

I do hope HAL is not going to say, "So despite all this tyrannical and despotic oppression in gun-ownership, people still use weapons, so why do you still allow knives/ pick-axe handles, etc... and how do you protect your loved ones against drug gangs."

No not at all. I'm only looking for information - no hidden agenda.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 07:31:32 PM »

I honestly don't understand what you mean by "honest criminal".

Humour doesn't need explaining. You laugh or you don't.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 07:34:08 PM »

Dude - cut the trashing of my threads. I'm trying to behave and if you keep up this bullshit off-topic crap I'm going the RTM route.

Kapeesh?

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 07:40:42 PM »

Dude - cut the trashing of my threads. I'm trying to behave and if you keep up this bullshit off-topic crap I'm going the RTM route.

Kapeesh?

I addressed one aspect of the OP in a way I thought may be amusing. This is not against any rule I'm aware of, be it appreciated by the OP'er or otherwise.

I then gave a perspective on an aspect of GB's post which seemed to befuddle you. This is called discussion.

I think you're being a bit precious.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 07:43:03 PM »
Quote from: magicmiles link=topic=23366.msg522436#msg522436 date=

I addressed one aspect of the OP in a way I thought may be amusing. This is not against any rule I'm aware of, be it appreciated by the OP'er or otherwise.

I then gave a perspective on an aspect of GB's post which seemed to befuddle you. This is called discussion.

GTF out of here. You are contributing nothing of value. You are now being reported for trolling and off topic nonsense.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +357/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 08:17:56 PM »
In 2006 less than 200 people died in the UK by guns, last year 9,000 people died in the US by guns.

I think that answers the question posed.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 09:21:44 PM »
There's pickpockets and people who'll rob you when you're not in your house. People can knock you out cold to kidnap you or use chloroform.

Yea, it sounds like you all are way more skilled/creative at committing crimes than we are.  :)

Guns make it easy, so I guess folks have to be creative to compensate.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Aerial

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 10:52:48 PM »
This thread is about the UK, but here in Oz I think it is similar.
Most of our crimes seem to be the mugging types, without weapons. Brute force.
The gun crimes mostly in the news here are Bikie related.
Occasionally we get random gun crimes...murder suicide or even mass shootings. Very rare though because I think the average joe blo here does not have access to guns. Thankfully.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +555/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2012, 06:48:52 AM »
Quote from: magicmiles link=topic=23366.msg522436#msg522436 date=

GTF out of here. You are contributing nothing of value. You are now being reported for trolling and off topic nonsense.
That's a little unfair. There is no trolling that I can see.

"An honest criminal" finds its irony in the oxymoron; its meaning is usually in the context. It is a fact that certain, particular serious crimes bring pressure on the whole criminal community. In this context, "An honest criminal" is someone who is going about his minor unlawful business as he sees fit, much as any craftsman might, and does not want to be have the police pry into his privacy.

They are the sort of person who, despite doing wrong themselves, have a sense of what is allowed and what is not - they have self-imposed rules of conduct.

Example:
Criminal 1: "The old widow has over $250,000 under her mattress."
Criminal 2: "I don't rob old widows."
1: "Not even for 50%"
2: "No, its not right. Leave her and anyone like her alone. We could wait till she dies and then rob her son - he's an arsehole."

Criminal 2 is what might be described as "an honest criminal."

A similar phrase is "An honest rogue"; there's even a book of that title. Compare with "A pious fraud." These characters are often found in fiction (and may be the real world)
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 07:18:13 AM »
That's a little unfair. There is no trolling that I can see.

HAL has been in serious need of a vacation from the forums for a while now.  You should expect to see this type of behavior on his part continue until he takes one.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 07:20:02 AM by pianodwarf »
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +413/-5
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 07:38:43 AM »
Criminal 2 is what might be described as "an honest criminal."

Which seems to be quite a British thing.  "Only Fools & Horses" and "Porridge" being two recent examples showing characters who are essentially likeable, just like you and me.....except they nick stuff and flog it on.  and everyone loves 'em - though that might be helped that the characters were played by two "national treasures".  And in both cases it was necessary to show contrasts with "real" criminals - Grouchie in Porridge, for example.

In the US popular culture, I'm trying to think of similar examples - Han Solo probably the biggest and brashest, but I guess Goodfellas was a classic example.  You root for Henry, Jimmy, and Tommy who are generally "only" violent to their own.  You could probably add the Sopranos to the list, and I'm sure there are more.

Trouble is, I believe that this "loveable rogue" type makes crime more prevalent, as it makes certain types of crime more acceptable.  Once you've pushed the line juuust that little bit one way, it means the next generation grows up with a slightly shifted benchmark of morality, which means they will be okay with blurring it just a litle further.....and so on.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 08:15:46 AM »
HAL has been in serious need of a vacation from the forums for a while now.  You should expect to see this type of behavior on his part continue until he takes one.

This has been reported both via PM and RTM for attempting to start a grudge match in a thread.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 09:06:07 AM »

This has been reported both via PM and RTM for attempting to start a grudge match in a thread.

This was not an attempt to bait anyone or start a grudge match or anything else like that.  I was speaking out of genuine concern for you.  Nevertheless, as you said to me in a PM, I should have communicated it to you in a PM, not in a public post such as this one, and for this, I apologize.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2012, 09:12:02 AM »
This was not an attempt to bait anyone or start a grudge match or anything else like that.  I was speaking out of genuine concern for you.  Nevertheless, as you said to me in a PM, I should have communicated it to you in a PM, not in a public post such as this one, and for this, I apologize.

Thanks, I appreciate that.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2012, 05:27:04 PM »
I have this stereotype of criminals in England to be like a Dickensian cross between Eliza Doolittle's father and the Artful Dodger. Cockney blokes in fingerless gloves and newsboy caps who sing a witty tune, pick your pocket and whirl away dancing a jaunty jig while holding your wallet aloft.

I suppose I should update my image to include armed Jamaican drug gangs and brutal punks with axe handles. Who shoot their rivals and beat people senseless while singing tuneful songs and dancing jaunty jigs. From Oliver Twist to Clockwork Orange.

England stubbornly remains fictionally picturesque in my imagination.  :?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.