Author Topic: Bible Characters  (Read 4113 times)

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
Bible Characters
« on: July 29, 2012, 03:37:43 AM »
If you could pick a character from a bible story (other than Jesus - too easy) to hang out with (if he/she were real) who would it be & briefly why?
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Bible Characters
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 08:57:31 AM »
I would say Hagar. 

As a young woman I read the Handmaid's Tale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Handmaid's_Tale in an era in which the idea of a fundamentalist Christian dystopia seemed significantly less probable, and as I read the book, I found myself identifying not only with the protagonist, but also with the woman whose story inspired the obscene reality portrayed in the novel.

Later, as I became more familiar with Islam, I became fascinated by how the same story was told by both Christians and Muslims, but with such a different twist.  In Islam, Hagar isn't the throw away servant who gives Abraham a son as a mini reward while he is waiting for his wife to get pregnant at a ripe old age.  She is, in fact, the mother of the Arab people, the one who found the spring upon the site that would become Mecca.  She is a strong leader of her people. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_view_of_Hagar

I like misunderstood women.  I like underdogs (which she is in the Christian story).  I like hearing the stories of women who are ignored and considered irrelevant by their societies, because I think they usually have the most interesting stories.   And I like strong, independent women leaders (which she is in the Muslim story). 

So if I had to pick someone to meet and learn about, it would be her. 

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 03:32:20 PM »
Ah yes, Hagar.  She is one of my sticky points in my argument with god.  I've always read between the lines and completely sided with her when coming across that particular story.  You can also see why Muslims have always been pissed at Jews & then Christians by default.  After all their whole race began because Abraham basically raped Hagar whom he felt he was entilted to since she was his wife's property then tossed her & his son when his bitch wife got an attititude problem.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 03:45:31 PM »
You can also see why Muslims have always been pissed at Jews & then Christians by default. 

I don't think that is necessarily true, particularly the jewish part.

There is a lot of debate about historic islamic attitudes toward jews:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_antisemitism#Pre-modern_Islam
Jerome Chanes,[32] Pinson, Rosenblatt,[33] Mark Cohen, Norman Stillman, Uri Avnery, M. Klien and Bernard Lewis argue that antisemitism in pre-modern Islam is rare, and did not emerge until modern times. Lewis argues that there is little sign any deep-rooted emotional hostility directed against Jews, or any other group, that can be characterized as antisemitism. There were, however, clearly negative attitudes, which were in part the "normal" feelings of a dominant group towards subject groups (which exists in virtually any society). More specifically, the contempt consisted of Muslim contempt for disbelievers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_and_antisemitism#19th_century
According to Mark Cohen, Arab anti-Semitism in the modern world arose relatively recently, in the 19th century, against the backdrop of conflicting Jewish and Arab nationalism, and was imported into the Arab world primarily by nationalistically minded Christian Arabs (and only subsequently was it "Islamized").
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2012, 04:23:39 PM »
^^^ Interesting.  So what about you, Screwtape - any biblcal character you find particularly interesting?

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2012, 04:28:49 PM »
The Pharaoh. I'd like to know what it feels like to get your heart hardened and lose your free will.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2012, 04:47:33 PM »
Yeah, I agree with Screwtape that Hagar is probably not the source of animosity between the various monotheistic faiths.  But Jews and Christians believe it was Sara’s son Isaac who Abraham took off to sacrifice, and Muslims believe it was Ishmael, Hagar’s son, who got that honor.  So there is a significant difference in the stories. 

And the Muslims sort of tell it like a rags to riches story.  (Or rags to mother of a nation story).  They present Hagar as a wife of Abraham, who started out as a handmaiden, but become someone more important.  The incident in which Sara threw her and the kid out in the desert (I don’t think) is in the Islamic version.  But I could be wrong.  I seem to remember that she and Abraham were traveling together, and he left her and her infant son in the desert (when he went off to attend to some important business or something like that) and she had no water and her son was dying and then this wonderful spring appeared, and Mecca was born.  And of course, the Prophet Muhammad was a direct descendent of Ishmael. 

But in either case, it is an interesting story.  If she was raped and abandoned, she would be a woman with stories to tell.  And is she was chosen by god to be the mother of a new nation, she would have very different stories to tell.

So yeah.  If I got to meet a famous biblical character, she would be my first choice. 

What about you Lori?  Who would you chose to meet?   

And WOW Zankuu.  What an interesting choice. 

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2012, 12:33:33 AM »
I would like to talk with Dorcas.  The story on her is that Peter raised her from death.  She is the only female specifically referred to as a disciple.  She was known for her kindness, generosity and her willingness to go out of her way to offer help to others.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2012, 12:36:17 AM »
The Pharaoh. I'd like to know what it feels like to get your heart hardened and lose your free will.

I wonder if he was really as hot as Yul Brenner...

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2012, 04:43:32 AM »
I think I'd want to meet John- and ask him what the hell he was on when he wrote Revelations... ;)

If he could come out with stuff like that on a regular basis, he'd be pretty amusing to be around.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2012, 08:15:43 AM »
^^^ Interesting.  So what about you, Screwtape - any biblcal character you find particularly interesting?

I've actually been thinking about it for a few days.  I'm having a hard time.  My first answer was Eve.  She is the most maligned heroine of the bible.  Everyone blames her for The Fall.  But I don't see it that way.  She was the one with the brains and the courage to literally do the right thing.  She took the power of the gods - the ability of moral knowledge - for all of us.  Without that, people would have been amoral robots doing whatever was commanded by the evil god yhwh.  Or, maybe it was that yhwh wanted bold creations and the real desired outcome of the test for them to do what they did.

And in return, Adam, the prick that he was, threw her under the bus.  What a piece of shit.  And all women since have been cast as inferior to men.   She is the hebrew Prometheus and should be celebrated and honored rather than given the shabby treatment she was.

The other option was Pilate.  I'd have advised him to ignore jesus H and just send hecklers to ridicule him.  The surest way to make a lunatic into a saint is to kill him.  But make him into a buffoon, and he is neutralized. 

She is the only female specifically referred to as a disciple.

It is probable Mary Mags was a disciple, but some of the other guys had a real problem with that, so they demoted her in the stories. 

hebrews are so misogynistic.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2012, 08:28:22 AM »
I would like to talk with Dorcas.  The story on her is that Peter raised her from death.  She is the only female specifically referred to as a disciple.  She was known for her kindness, generosity and her willingness to go out of her way to offer help to others.

Well I had to google Dorcas because I was not familiar with her.  But she does indeed sound like an interesting character.  I was not aware of the fact that Christianity considered any women disciples.  I know that there is dispute about the role of Mary Madelene, but it would indeed be interesting to hear the perspective of any woman contemporary of Jesus who identified with his teachings. 

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2012, 05:19:59 PM »
I think Eve definately got a bad rap.  Pilate was a pussy; he had no inclination that Jesus should be crucified so he tried to pawn him off on other courts, that didn't work so he tried giving them a worse alternative - Barabas, then when that didn't work rather than stand by his own convictions he just "washed his hands of it" and caved to popular opinion.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2012, 05:26:26 PM »
@ Screwtape - I thought I was the only one who thought Adam threw Eve under the bus.

Offline muchlove

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2012, 04:11:47 AM »
Joseph, although I'm not 100% sure why.  I think I identify with him for some reason, I feel like I understand him, or that he would understand me.  He was kind of an arrogant, idiot in his youth.  Through some very bitter and rough circumstances, we ultimately see God's plan for Israel fulfilled through what seemed like tragedy.  It is an interesting example of God using "what was meant for evil" for not only Joseph's good, but ultimately the salvation of the very brothers who sought to destroy him.  Just a very interesting story of God's promise unfolded through a series of unusual circumstances.  It is a picture of grace and unmerited favor, in addition to sovereignty and trust.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2012, 09:53:01 AM »
I don't necessarily want to think selfishly here, so I'm going to have to go ahead and chose some of the characters from the bible that I would like to console, and help overcome some of the terrible things done to them.

I'd like to spend some time with 12 year old Mary who was impregnated by her own son. I'd like to sit down and talk through the PTSD israelite child soldiers must have had after jesus ordered them to kill children/babies by the thousands. IMHO, the bible is a sick fucking book, filled with the very worst humans are capable of, made all the more twisted when it is labelled as "good".

It's hard for me to non-chalantly decide on a character and say "he seems like a cool dude, I'd like to hang with him" when it is such an affront to my basic human values.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 05:34:36 PM »
I would say Judas... I know what youre thinking, and youre wrong.

For some reason I always find myself being sympathetic to the "villains"... I can usually see how theyre misunderstood or unfairly treated. In the case of Judas, what he is said to have done, HAD to be done by someone, I guess he drew the short straw. But I usually side with the under dogs.

In the Beauty and The Beast I like Gaston, in Aladdin i like the parrot...

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 11:24:33 PM »
Very interesting.  I saw a show where their take on Judas was that he sold Jesus out because he thought it would force Him into a fighting role and also cause the Jews to rebel.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2013, 04:29:55 PM »
I've just seen that this topic has been dead for over 60 day, but I missed it. Sod it. In view of the character, I'm posting!
If you could pick a character from a bible story (other than Jesus - too easy) to hang out with (if he/she were real) who would it be & briefly why?
The author of Ecclesiastes. He's a grumpy old man who is pissed off with idiots and realises that it's all pretty pointless - he sees through the schemes of those who try to gain power or influence. He dispenses the wisdom of his experiences and sums up a few things really well. Certain things grab his attention and he can't resist giving his 2 cents.

He is short on small-talk and long on considered philosophy. He's got a "Well this is how it is" attitude and adds,  "If you don't like it, stuff you - when I'm dead, come and apologise to me - I'm right and you'll find out that I was."

I suspect he liked beer and shouted at people he thought were stupid.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 04:31:56 PM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2013, 04:40:46 PM »
He is also responsible for a hit song by The Byrds.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2013, 04:50:40 PM »

Yep, good song. I saw the singer from that band perform it a few years ago at a blues festival. I was there mainly to see Steve Earle.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +534/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2013, 05:50:15 PM »
I cannot understand why you did not link to the video! (Huh! These young people!)

Ah... Those were the days...
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #22 on: December 11, 2013, 09:03:55 AM »
Graybeard,

I bet your sudden interest in this old thread was to remove my topic from view.  It's so obvious. hehehehehehehehehehe
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2013, 11:55:23 AM »
JB, I think you're being paranoid.  He quoted Ecc. in other threads recently.  He probably just happened to notice this thread now because so few posters hang out in the Shelter.  How about you play nice and weigh in on any Bible character you find appealing.  I was thinking of starting a new one on Harry Potter characters but I don't know if there are enough members who have read the series.

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2013, 11:22:04 AM »

I'd have to go with Enoch. Dude was actually able to befriend and walk with God to the point that God simply took him from this world that he did not see death. He could probably give us the dirt on Ole Father Universe.

Solomon is also a guy I'd like to shoot the breeze with. He partied like a rock star, he had the brain power and disposition of House, and he might have been the richest person ever.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2013, 01:25:58 PM »
JB, I think you're being paranoid.  He quoted Ecc. in other threads recently.  He probably just happened to notice this thread now because so few posters hang out in the Shelter.  How about you play nice and weigh in on any Bible character you find appealing.  I was thinking of starting a new one on Harry Potter characters but I don't know if there are enough members who have read the series.

Yup. I don't know his motivations, but isn't it just as likely that someone would see that you were unhappy about being stuck here and decided to stir up a little bit of interest in the Shelter as a whole? When there is new movement in one thread, it will generally tend to revitalize some of the others. It could just as easily have been a kindly gesture as a malevolent one.

And, by the way, Lori, if you do start a Harry Potter thread, I'll definitely be reading it. My kids either learned to read or gained an interest in reading as a direct influence of the books, so while I don't necessarily see them as deathless prose, I have probably read the whole series a good three or four times, and the first few books at least seven times (I'm a chronic re-reader). So I'll know what you are talking about :)

Offline junebug72

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-83
  • "Question Everything"
« Reply #26 on: December 13, 2013, 06:50:21 AM »
LP,

I am not paranoid I just don't trust GB.  If he were interested in striking up conversation with me he would have posted something directly to me;  Not on an old 2012 thread. 
Belief in a cruel God makes a cruel man.
Thomas Paine

Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/t/thomas_paine.html#XXwlhVIMq06zWg2d.99

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-6
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2013, 06:59:58 PM »
LP,

I am not paranoid I just don't trust GB.  If he were interested in striking up conversation with me he would have posted something directly to me;  Not on an old 2012 thread.

So is it possible that his posting in this thread has nothing whatsoever to do with you?  That he is not interested in striking up a conversation with you at all.  That everything is not about you.

I have tried to be supportive and accepting of you during your struggle with chemo and due to you unique worldview and personality.  But lately you appear to be decompensating.  I strongly urge you to seek professional help.  It is not at all unusual to become overwhelmed when dealing with a life threatening illness and all the crap that comes with it. Getting help is not a sign of weakness.  There are real chemical imbalances occurring that need to be addressed.

This thread was supposed to be a lighthearted discussion of Bible characters.  That is why I put it in the Shelter - to avoid sarcasm and snark.  So please confine future responses to the the original topic.  If you want to speculate on who's out to get you start a new thread.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #28 on: December 13, 2013, 07:16:04 PM »
I would definitely participate in a Harry Potter thread. I don't remember enough about the bible to be helpful in this thread.

Junebug, it is always risky to ascribe motives to other people. None of us can read each other's minds. I suggest that you try to assume the best of others. Consider it a practice for your "love everyone" philosophy. If someone is not trustworthy, your ignoring their attempts to wind you up will only frustrate them. And if they are meaning to be kind, you will have taken a step toward mutual understanding. This is the shelter. We are supposed to be gentle. In that spirit, I would ask everyone, including you Junebug, to not only BE gentle, but assume that others are being gentle.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.