Author Topic: Same-Sex Marriage Caused God to Flood the World  (Read 977 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Same-Sex Marriage Caused God to Flood the World
« on: July 28, 2012, 09:14:47 PM »
I just read an article on examiner.com about an Alabama pastor, Aaron Fruh, who said that Jewish scholars found texts from the 3rd century[1] about how Biblegod flooded the entire world because of gay marriage.

The stupid shit these people say to further their agendas, prejudices, bigotry, and at times, racism.

There's a video, I believe. I wish I could link it but I can't. Sorry.

-Nam
 1. I think
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 09:19:47 PM by Nam »
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline Timtheskeptic

• Reader
  • Darwins +20/-1
  • atheist and loving it
    • atheist blogspot
Re: Same-Sex Marriage Caused God to Flood the World
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 09:22:44 PM »
homophobic pastors will do anything to blame gay people so that they can be hated and feared. It's sad and stupid of them. But if they rather believe that gays have such power to bring floods, earthguakes, and STORM, then i supposed we're the new X-men!
Me:What are you looking at Eminem?
Brother: Nothing, Harry Potter.

I love to read books, just not your Bible. i support gay rights and women's rights. Why? Because i'm tired of the hate, stupidity, and your desire to control us all and make up lies.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 09:27:37 PM »
I want to be an X-man. :(

-Nam

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 09:30:44 PM »
Well that pissed me off enough to merit a google.  Here is the story. 

Aaron Fruh, an Alabama pastor and author active on the Religious Right, claimed yesterday (7/26) that ancient acceptance of same-sex marriage was the reason God brought the Flood to destroy mankind. Speaking on American Family Radio, the broadcasting arm of the conservative, fundamentalist Christian, non-profit, the American Family Association, said, "(t)he one society in history that first offered marriage certificates to same-sex couples, you'd think would be Sodom and Gomorrah, or Rome or Greece. It was actually the society just prior to the flood of Noah."

Right, because archaeologists have uncovered so many of these pre-Flood marriage certificates carved, no doubt, in pink limestone. Well, not exactly. Pastor Fruh claims his evidence comes from the Mishnah, a 3rd century CE redaction of Jewish oral traditions. He further goes on to say that, due to same-sex marriage, "civilization was destroying itself; because there would be no more procreation; there would no longer be husbands and wives having children and furthering society."

Video: Aaron Fruh: Gay Marriage Brought the Flood

Evidently, Pastor Fruh has concluded that this not only made God angry, but too impatient to wait for civilization to destroy itself naturally and that's why he brought the Flood. He also challenges anyone to name any society in human history (excepting the last 5-10 years) that has tried the same-sex marriage experiment and not been destroyed, "because as Dan Cathy (the Chick-fil-A CEO who created a media storm after admitting he donates to anti-gay organizations) said, we're shaking our fists into the face of God and so when it comes to civilization and society, God knew that the people of the earth were going to destroy themselves through same-sex marriage; so that’s why he brought the flood."
  http://www.examiner.com/article/aaron-fruh-gay-marriage-responsible-for-noah-s-flood

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +96/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 10:31:33 PM »
but the flood failed to stop gay-marriage....so in turn God failed AGAIN!!!
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 10:41:48 PM »
Hey, with the current draught we could use a little flooding.  I'm getting my scuba gear ready just in case. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Timtheskeptic

• Reader
  • Darwins +20/-1
  • atheist and loving it
    • atheist blogspot
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 10:44:57 PM »
but the flood failed to stop gay-marriage....so in turn God failed AGAIN!!!

Well of course he failed, we LGBT folks are way more powerful than him! Muwahahahahahaha! Muwahahahahahahaha! MUWAHAHAHA-HA-HAAAA!

I love to read books, just not your Bible. i support gay rights and women's rights. Why? Because i'm tired of the hate, stupidity, and your desire to control us all and make up lies.

Offline Timtheskeptic

• Reader
  • Darwins +20/-1
  • atheist and loving it
    • atheist blogspot
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 10:47:48 PM »
God knew that the people of the earth were going to destroy themselves through same-sex marriage; so that’s why he brought the flood."

Funny, i don't know if these morons noticed, but Netherlands legalized gay marriage for over 10 years now. No flood there. When some other countries legalized theirs, still no flood. You would think they would get the message that gay marriage isn't going to doom anyone. But they have always been too stupid to realize it.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 10:59:12 PM »
It can't flood in the Netherlands because they have people with their fingers in dikes.

And it does not matter what happens in other countries.  God only likes America.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2012, 11:58:35 PM »
And all this time I thought the flood was because of interracial breeding between the nephilim and puny humans.  Heaven forbid we use breeding techniques to bring about the Golden Chocobo or the Kwisatz Haderach.

But it makes sense now that the flood was to punish us for not breeding at all.

It's all about sex ain't it?
"People want to get whatever they want to get. Do I care? No, I don't care. People need certain things" - Senator Leland Yee (D) California

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +365/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 12:55:58 AM »
Since when do Protestant fundamentalists grant Canonical Inerrant Scripturetm status to obscure Jewish rabbinical fanfiction?  Does that mean they accept the Zohar too?  Meanwhile, they ignore everything Jesus (as portrayed in the New Testament) ever said about money.
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 10:39:08 AM »
I find that Christians only cite Hebrew or Jewish text when it suits their agendas. Afterall, they still blame the Jews for killing Jesus. That hasn't changed.

-Nam

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 01:09:38 PM »

-Nam
me too, but not that black kid, he was the first one killed....again. I think I'd be Nightcrawler.

As to the topic, life is always easier or shall I say more simple if you have someone to focus hate on, then the powers above you dont have to worry about the REAL issues they cant or are unwilling to fix.

I mean, why worry about starving kids when there's gays to hate?

Offline Morgan

• Student
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • Every night I wait for my sweet Selene...
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 04:15:35 PM »
While a flood would be sort of not cool, how much girl-on-girl action should be required for a decent rain? It's constantly over 30 Celsius over here and I hate it. Since marriage causes floods, would making out be sufficient? There's not anyone among my same-gendered acquaintances who's interested in me[1], but desperate times call for desperate measures and some of them could be persuaded in acting with the greater good in mind.

Now that I think of it, are droughts God's way of punishing us for not having enough gay sex?  :?
 1. That I know of

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 05:17:46 PM »
I would love to be a lesbian. A dream that'll never be. Unless I get a sex change but...no, I can't.

-Nam

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2012, 06:11:36 AM »

-Nam
I would love to be a lesbian. A dream that'll never be. Unless I get a sex change but...no, I can't.

-Nam

Well if you want to be an ex-man and a lesbian, a sex change would be ideal.  :P Joking aside, it's all just scapegoating to just push their agenda. Fortunately for us and unfortunately for them, only bigoted idiots take them seriously. Because they're bigoted idiots, it's kind of like masturbation - doing it because it feels good. Though, I do fear for children who are indoctrinated by these pastors and parents belonging to these kinds of Churches. It's bizarre how a person can alter their sense of reality that far.

As if anybody cares what the bible says on it? Or some ancient text, pressuming these assertions are true. Nobody truly knows how the bible should be read, nor does anybody truly know it's validity. These are 2 things that are difficult (but not impossible) for a Christian to admin without it invalidating their beliefs. You're talking about texts that were first a part of an oral tradition passed down by normal men. To my mind, that alone makes it completely unreliable, I've seen it argume that the Bible is about God and is supposed to tell us about this God, but was written by men and written to the standards of the time and is not necessarily relevant to God's will. To me, that's about as realistic argument as I can think of for the bible where God exists. But this God would also have to be non-partisan and not the great God people tell stories about. The literal interpretation of the bible is only but one and seem one many adopt today, but it hasn't always been the case. As I mentioned in another thread, the Cosmological Argument employed by Thomas Acquinas of the Catholic Church and earlier argued by Plato and Aristotle. The idea of an uncaused causer, but this is kinda going off track a bit, but this would be a non-partisan deity and allows for the believer to accept all we know about reality and still believe in a deity.

If anything, I just consider these literalists and bigots to be idiots unwilling to accept the facts, but put in place wishful thinking & personal biases or any indoctrination they've receive.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 06:13:17 AM by Seppuku »
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +365/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2012, 06:42:50 AM »
I think another reason fundamentalist Christians bash gays is that it provides cheap righteousness.  The Bible is full of rules, and while many of those rules (especially the ones in the Hebrew Scriptures) may be safely ignored, there are plenty of rules in the New Testament that are rather difficult to obey but can't be dismissed as 'fulfilled' either.  Take Jesus' statements about personal finance and life planning, or turning the other cheek.[1]  Then there's all the sexual rules, like not even thinking lustful thoughts about somebody, no divorce, and so on.  So, every time one of these guys passes a homeless person and pretends not to notice, or passes a beautiful woman and nooootices, they've got to deal with the cognitive dissonance.

But if, like most of these activist gay-bashers, you're a straight white male,[2] congratulations: being gay is a "sin" you're not even tempted to commit!  So, you're automatically "righteous" on that score, easy peasy.  You get to point your long, bony finger of condemnation at others without having to worry that you'll be caught in the same "sin" yourself.  In doing so, you get all the addictive brain chemicals the feeling of righteous indignation generates, the thrill of vicarious megalomania that comes with calling down the wrath of "God," and so on.  In this one area, you get to be "good" (by fundie Christian standards) without any actual effort or difficulty at all.
 1. George W. Bush: "Whelp, ya got us there, Osama bin Laden.  We've got another big skyscraper in Chicago, you know: the Sears Tower.  Father, forgive Mr. Bin Laden, for he knows not what he does."  You can imagine the Christian Right going along with that, right?  Right?
 2. They gay white males like Ted Haggard have other motivations.
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2012, 12:05:11 PM »
Christians tell non-Christians their Book speaks the Truth. Christian tells Christian: it speaks the truth but you don't have to really follow any of them: you'll be forgiven, though, if you repent.

-Nam

Offline muchlove

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2012, 02:42:02 PM »
I think another reason fundamentalist Christians bash gays is that it provides cheap righteousness.  The Bible is full of rules, and while many of those rules (especially the ones in the Hebrew Scriptures) may be safely ignored, there are plenty of rules in the New Testament that are rather difficult to obey but can't be dismissed as 'fulfilled' either.  Take Jesus' statements about personal finance and life planning, or turning the other cheek.[1]  Then there's all the sexual rules, like not even thinking lustful thoughts about somebody, no divorce, and so on.  So, every time one of these guys passes a homeless person and pretends not to notice, or passes a beautiful woman and nooootices, they've got to deal with the cognitive dissonance.
 1. George W. Bush: "Whelp, ya got us there, Osama bin Laden.  We've got another big skyscraper in Chicago, you know: the Sears Tower.  Father, forgive Mr. Bin Laden, for he knows not what he does."  You can imagine the Christian Right going along with that, right?  Right?

Kcrady,

I think you've hit on an important point that is very truthful in many cases.  When a Christian can start comparing themselves to others for their sense of righteousness, it lets them off the hook in their own mind for all the things they are completely ignoring.  That self-righteous frenzy culminates in condemning others rather than realizing one's own deficiencies.  In fact, a Christian may even recognize those deficiencies, but a comparative self-righteousness leads one to say, "Well, at least I'm not like that wicked homosexual."  Very reminiscent of what Jesus attempts to illustrate in Luke 18:

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+18%3A9-14&version=ESV

Yet, the same Christian would denounce the attitude of this pharisee as religious, without realizing they are condemning themselves by their own words.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 04:21:22 PM by muchlove »

Offline lomolo

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2012, 07:31:43 PM »
God promised he wouldn't flood the whole world ever again, which is why he gave gay people the rainbow to show off.

It can't flood in the Netherlands because they have people with their fingers in dikes.
...if you know what I mean!