Author Topic: College vs. Those Who Didn't Go  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
Re: College vs. Those Who Didn't Go
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2012, 08:22:09 PM »
I failed my Junior and Senior years and never went back to finish. I did pass my G.E.D. so I could drop out of collage three times.

Math and Chemistry did me in so bad that I lost interest in everything else except drugs and working. No matter how hard I try or how much of a great impression I make on people in person, one look at my lack of credentials keeps me firmly in my place.

I get so discouraged sometimes I want to die.[1]

Even IF I could afford to go back to school I know for a fact that I can not focus on so many different subjects that have no bearing on my life or interests.

There are some things I can do and I am working towards them but I have to find a way out of the current situation I'm in at the moment.

Sad thing is...I have met plenty of people who had a piece of paper but still couldn't tell the difference between their ass and a hole in the ground but they were in a position of authority anyway. I am currently working for one of them now. He knows I am more intelligent than him but that don't mean squat because he's the boss and it's his company.

But I digress.

He's not rich or anything, just more financially successful. He doesn't have a collage degree either so it can't just be the piece of paper. He IS an asshole so maybe that plays more into it than anything else.

*shrugs*

1. Thanks to SGLI I am worth more dead than alive by a factor of 2.5 at my current earning potential if I live to 60
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 08:33:09 PM »
That's sad Mr B.  :-\

What's SGLI?

You know now that you mention it... the BIG boss at my fiance's job doesn't have a degree. He is the site manager (as high up as it gets locally.) but he requires everyone above my fiance's pay grade to have a degree?!?! WTF kinda sense does that make? ::Scratches head:: I really don't get it, you would think people who have "been there" would understand that a piece of paper is not always that important, but alas...

Any ways, I personally would have to consider the cost effectiveness of going back to school. If I could get enough grants to go for free than I have no excuse to not try. Sure I may fail math 100xs but maybe the 101st try would be key? But if a 4 year program doesn't get me a better salary than what I make now and I have to go in to debt to get there? I think I will just keep climbing the corporate ladder at my job. Until I top out there's no reason to go in debt to get a degree. (Aside from job security[1], if I get fired or laid off I'm back at the bottom of the entry level jobs.)
 1. I'm not sure I can calculate how much of a price to put on that
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +355/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2012, 08:35:52 PM »
They have scholarships for everything -- no age limit.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2012, 08:38:37 PM »
^ I need to research what is available to me. It's on my to do list. I first have to decide what I wanna be when I grow up. Is it bad that there's honestly nothing I want to do for a living? I've thought about being a counselor but I rather enjoy my current job working from home and the thought of having to go to a real job depresses me.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +171/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2012, 08:39:00 PM »
Here's a thought - not original, but a point of discussion.  Why can't a person walk into a College or University, pay a reasonable fee for a test, and walk out with a Degree that matches their test scores?

In these modern times, it is entirely possible to gain enough education to pass a college level exam, or a series of them, and gain a degree without being forced to pay tens of thousands of dollars, and use up 4-6 or more years of your life listening to professors.

Higher learning is an institution that has an unfair grip on society, making it difficult, if not imposible for everyone to get a degree, and sadly, a job from one of the 98% of large corps that require it to even turn in a resume. 

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +355/-85
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2012, 08:52:01 PM »
When I went to that 2nd Vocational school to get my HS diploma, I asked the teacher if I could skip all the assignments and go straight to the exams. She said "yes" only if I got an A -- I did, and she did. Which, minus electives, is why it only took me 6 weeks to complete 4 credits of English, 4 credits of Science, 3 for History and 1 for Economics, some minor "general" tests to get a couple of credits (which replaced PE and Home EC which were requirements) etc., I already was in the process of completing all my electives; first day of typing class the teacher told me to get out, and she passed me. At the time I could type 85 wpm. Today I'm up to 120 wpm.

I was so close to the HS diploma once, and the GED once. Though, in 2009 I did take the math part of the pre-GED and I passed it, I just didn't have the $60, at the time to pay for it. Now, I just don't seem to care anymore.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2012, 08:53:04 PM »
Why can't a person walk into a College or University, pay a reasonable fee for a test, and walk out with a Degree that matches their test scores?

That would be nice[1] but then how would those college make all that money? Since watching the Sandusky scandal I've come to learn that Penn State makes about $60M a year off of football alone! That's an obscene amount of money when you consider they don't have to pay their players[2]. I don't understand how they are allowed to make so much money off students & student athletes. Does it really cost that much to operate and maintain a college?
 1. Though I still think I would fail based on math alone.
 2. An off topic issue for another day.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2012, 09:01:25 PM »
Though, in 2009 I did take the math part of the pre-GED and I passed it, I just didn't have the $60, at the time to pay for it. Now, I just don't seem to care anymore.

I know you said you don't care but have you looked for programs that pay this fee for you? I found one through the local university that paid for the GED testing as long as I went to their pre-test class long enough for them to determine my readiness and as long as I passed the test. If I failed they wouldn't pay for the re-test, but the original test would still be paid for.

I don't recall the name of the program but I'm sure there are others like it. If not I'm sure someone at WWGHA would donate the fee for you if you sincerely wanted to take it again. Hell, I'd prob even throw $10 in to the pot[1].
 1. No it wouldn't be hush money, I've bought items for others who needed it, and people have sent me stuff as well. You could still be an ass to me, hell I'd expect nothing less.

Online Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2012, 09:17:28 PM »
I don't know how different things are in the US, but you don't have to go to college/university to be good at a job - I know the Labour government tried to push people through University, but the most important thing for ANY individual is to find a job you'll enjoy and will pay the bills well enough for you to be happy. In my family (of 3 kids), 2 of us went to University (me and my sister) and one of us didn't (my brother). The problem with Labour's 50% target was that it meant there were more graduates looking for work and therefore more competition, meaning having a degree weighed less.

When my sister finished University, could she get a well paid job? Nope. Woolworths (shop assistant), Cleaning, Working at a Bakery, Julian Graves (shop assistant) and after so many years having graduated, Care Worker, which didn't require a degree, but a vocational qualification they taught on the job. A job she now hates, but is sticking with to save up money to go on her tattooing course so she can be certified to tattoo people. She doesn't regret going to University, but it hasn't exactly done what degrees are marketed to do.

When I finished University, I graduated in one of the country's worst economic crisis, with high youth unemployment and high graduate unemployment and seemingly not a lot of growth. Since finishing, I've done the odd bit of temp work. Not really the kind of 'prospective futrue' and 'opening doors' I was promised. Do I regret going to University? No, because I think it offered some great lessons, confidence and I made some great friends who'll I'll hopefully have for life.

What about my brother? He went to college (not the same as a college in the US, thought it might be closer to a community college in the US) and he studied programming, he got bored and dropped out. He found that he enjoyed cooking, so he did a couple of courses and got a job as a chef, no where impressive, just a bog standard family restaurant, where most of the food is just grilled or stuck in the microwave. But he worked his way through restaurants and just worked hard and found he was good at what he did. Now he's settled in working in a restaurant with a great reputation, he is second in command and as the head chef is part time, he does find himself running the kitchen. Okay, he's not exactly Gordon Ramsey, but he's done well for himself and he's still in his 20s, so it's not as if he can't continue to progress in his career.

Out of the 3 kids in my family. You could say my brother is currently the most successful. So much for that University education, eh?

So generally I take the attitude that your level of education does matter, it's all about what you want to do with your life and what you can do to make it happen. Greatness isn't achieved by your grades, it's achieved by doing. If the industry you want to go into requires higher education, go for higher education. But higher education isn't the ultimate goal for living a happy or even well paid lifestyle. Sure, statistically speaking people with a degree earn more (they used that one to entice people in the schools), but it's not as if you'll be earning very little without one, unless you do end up in a crappy dead-end job. For me, I chose a degree because my career goals require it.

Why some people choose to do one? Because they're bottle necked in. A friend studied English Literature because it was what was suggested for him and he was told having a degree would help him with his career, though he did not know what he was going to do as a career and in the 3 years he spent at University he felt more and more that his degree would be useless, in the final year he almost dropped out just to find work. Though he didn't, because he didn't want the money to go waste. But in the 3rd year, he was saying how being something like a gym instructor would suit him. It's not even a job he's need a degree for. Okay, something like a sports science degree might help him go for something more serious and better paid, but for what he wanted, it wasn't necessary. So I think this idea of pushing college/university education onto people absolutely ludicrous. Do what suits YOUR goals best. You don't need a Marine Biology degree if you're going to become an IT Consultant.

Being able to write John Smith BA(Hons) might make you sound smart, but in actuality, it doesn't necessarily make you better than anybody else. :)

This is my perspective on it.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 09:49:13 PM by Seppuku »
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +171/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2012, 09:18:39 PM »

That would be nice[1] but then how would those college make all that money? Since watching the Sandusky scandal I've come to learn that Penn State makes about $60M a year off of football alone! That's an obscene amount of money when you consider they don't have to pay their players[2]. I don't understand how they are allowed to make so much money off students & student athletes. Does it really cost that much to operate and maintain a college?
 1. Though I still think I would fail based on math alone.
 2. An off topic issue for another day.

Time to change their model, just like the record industry had to change when people decided they were done with being forced to buy an album full of pure crap, in order to get a decent song.  LOL.

But yeah, I'm sure the institutions would fight it tooth and nail, to protect their profit model.  Sad that none of them can see the serious profit in testing!  Not to mention that there would be some asterisk next to your degree if you didn't "attend like the rest of us".  Bastards.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2012, 09:29:27 PM »
But Jetson, then the employers will be promoting the non asterisks over the asterisks and we will be back at square one!  8)

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +171/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2012, 09:46:45 PM »
But Jetson, then the employers will be promoting the non asterisks over the asterisks and we will be back at square one!  8)

Yeah, it's so difficult to get people to think different.  Steve Jobs was great at it!  Hell, we're still on the 40 hour work week, and it's 2012!!!!!!

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2012, 09:50:57 PM »
What's SGLI?

Servicemembers group life insurance. I got it when I went to Iraq.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline kindred

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-5
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2012, 10:09:03 PM »

Yeah, it's so difficult to get people to think different.  Steve Jobs was great at it!  Hell, we're still on the 40 hour work week, and it's 2012!!!!!!

Not really news. It takes time for a new more efficient model to be implemented. Lets face it, you'd do the same. Think, alternative power. There are lots of commercially available alternative power sources that are better but you don't adopt it. Why? Because its hard to deviate from the norm. The reward still doesn't make up for the effort of deviating from the norm of petrol. Same thing here. Eventually we will get to that point where the reward outweights the effort and cost of changing systems. Till then. Just got to suck it up.
"Keep calm and carry on"

"I trust you are not in too much distress"

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2012, 11:35:54 PM »
Once upon a time, a high school diploma was an achievement, and a small percentage of people went onto college.  Thus, it was viewed as a prestigious institution, and being a college grad was a huge accomplishment that opened doors.

With the baby boomers came an increased emphasis on college, with college enrollment becoming the norm rather than the exception.  Now, college is High School II, but the idea of a college degree as something special has still lingered from decades past.  It doesn't help that college tuition has skyrocketed far above inflation for the past several decades:

That bubble is starting to burst, though, as more and more graduating college and returning to the same jobs they had in high school.  The degree still confers some monetary benefits, but it's not what it used to be, and when you compare it to projected debt things get iffy.  IMO if grad school isn't on the table, some research is warranted before signing onto a college.  If things don't change, I think it's only a matter of time before a majority of students start weighing the costs/benefits of college for them vs. seeing it as an automatic next step.
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2012, 05:28:50 AM »
regarding cubist wombats
from this post
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,23353.msg522658.html#msg522658

for the sake of the non-Oz among us who probably thought it's just kin, askew as ever

don't eat this shit

even if they look like hi-fibre brownies
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +171/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2012, 07:42:17 AM »

Not really news. It takes time for a new more efficient model to be implemented. Lets face it, you'd do the same. Think, alternative power. There are lots of commercially available alternative power sources that are better but you don't adopt it. Why? Because its hard to deviate from the norm. The reward still doesn't make up for the effort of deviating from the norm of petrol. Same thing here. Eventually we will get to that point where the reward outweights the effort and cost of changing systems. Till then. Just got to suck it up.

I have been accused of being idealistic more often than not.  Reality smacks me down more often than not.  But one large company, such as Google, or Apple, can change things faster than anyone would ever imagine.  Call me a dreamer, or call it wishful thinking...but I prefer that attitude over "suck it up".  No doubt, I have to endure what I don't particularly like or enjoy.  But it does not mean that we can't change. 

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +355/-85
« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2012, 09:40:43 AM »
Kimberly,

When it comes to paying things, my stubborness prevents me from using other peoples money unless I work for it. Pretty much: I don't take handouts.

Which is ironic seeing how i'd do it for other people. My mind's fucked up that way.

-Nam

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #47 on: July 31, 2012, 10:05:37 AM »
It does seem rather self defeating. I accept help when I need it and I pay it forward when I see other's who need it. It may not be the perfect system but it's one that allows me to not feel helpless or like I'm using people.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2012, 02:33:36 PM »
On another thread people listed online classes that are offered for free by major colleges. You can pay to get credit if you want.

I understand the debt problem, though. College tuition costs are ridiculous. Look into community colleges. I am biased, but it's good education at a far lower cost. I thought that the GED was supposed to be free, since it counts as high school. I think it those classes and ESL classes are free at my college.

Lack of decent funding for higher education is another thing that pisses me off about the US system.  Who cares if we lose the future contributions of millions of people because they can't afford college or training? We have to make sure rich people pay less in taxes and big corporations make huge profits. No long term planning and pennywise/pound foolish thinking.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +355/-85
« Reply #49 on: August 01, 2012, 02:54:03 PM »
The GED, from my experience, where I live, is not free for Adults. The classes aren't free, the test isn't free. Hell, even in HS we had to pay to take thew SAT's, my parents couldn't afford the cost, so, I never took it. The only test, that was a requirement to get into something, that I've taken that didn't cost me anything is the ASVAB the Navy had me take to join.

In North Florida, however, where I lived for a few years in Suwannee county (my home county), the HS classes were free but the one in Orange County (where I currently live, and grew up) the same program cost my parents $250, even though I was told it'd cost nothing.

Even the elective classes I took in NF were free. Such as typing, computer, etc.,so, perhaps it's different in parts of Florida or some schools are charging fees when they shouldn't be.

-Nam

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2012, 03:41:59 PM »
Like Nam's experience the GED testing and classes are not free in Tennessee. I was fortunate that our college offered a free class at the time I need it. I heard rumors that they lost that funding a year or two after I got my GED so I'm not certain if that option even still exists.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #51 on: August 01, 2012, 03:57:21 PM »
We need to balance the budget somehow.  Do you expect the rich to kick in for something like that?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +355/-85
« Reply #52 on: August 01, 2012, 04:01:34 PM »
Kick? No.

-Nam

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #53 on: August 01, 2012, 05:07:10 PM »
We need to balance the budget somehow.  Do you expect the rich to kick in for something like that?

IDK I'm not an accountant or politician. I don't claim to have the answer, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out that the system is in major need of an overhaul. Too many people are left behind. Too many people have to decide between food or medication. Too many people sacrifice their education because they don't have parents who can pay for it. Or their grades weren't good enough for a full scholarship. Or they weren't a student athlete, and didn't join the band. Maybe all of these people are just lazy and have too many excuses, or maybe our government is failing us. What do you think Nick?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #54 on: August 01, 2012, 05:14:20 PM »
I think we need a thriving middle class to give people a sense of belonging to the system.  We need a system that will help people by giving them a leg up and providing opportunity.  If republicans have their way it will be a system of everyone for themselves.  We have over 350 million people in this country.  You can't expect it to be all ok but if the spread between the Haves and Have Nots continues to grow none of it will work in the end.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #55 on: August 01, 2012, 05:16:34 PM »
^ I couldn't have said it better myself!  ;)

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2012, 02:59:59 PM »
Back in the pre-Reagan "government is evil" years, a lot of stuff was free or at very low cost to middle and lower income folks.  We benefited from the public library free kids' activities, affirmative action, food stamps, free park and rec summer classes in art and dance. The public schools offered field trips, music and sports for all kids without huge extra fees. Optometry school clinic for glasses and dental school clinic for teeth-- both offered sliding scale payment.

Three of us dropped out of high school, due to our awful family situation. My brother and sister both got GED's instead of completing high school. I attended three different high schools in two states before graduating. I got all kinds of aid and programs to help me get into and finish college. Student loans at 3% and 5% interest through government programs.

If my family had been required to pay full price for everything, I would not have been able to achieve what I have in my life. I am now in the upper middle class and I want to help the next generation accomplish their goals. I am willing to pay the taxes needed for education, libraries, parks, health care, welfare, infrastructure. Why are people who make many times my income so stingy and greedy? Why do they claim to love America but hate other Americans? Or do they just love their money more?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +355/-85
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2012, 06:23:51 PM »
^they just love their money more. Some have spent most of their lives earning it[1] and they don't want to let it go. Understandable but when they want more and more it ceases becoming understandable.

-Nam
 1. or stealing it legally from people