Author Topic: New Section  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
New Section
« on: July 28, 2012, 10:45:23 AM »
I think there should be a section on "General Atheist Discussion" or "Atheist Topics". I know that religion plays a big role on this website but one would think "atheism" would play a bigger role. I know there's a "Science" section but despite what most religious people think, and, dare I say: atheists, atheism is not about science. It is not a science.

I keep on thinking of "atheist topics" but the only place that they could go is in "Chatter", and that section should actually be for the topics of relaxation, and the like.

The only other section to place it in is "Religious Discussion", but atheism isn't a religion though many religious people say it is.

So, I feel there should be an atheist section for topics on atheism itself that has nothing at all to do with religion but just atheism.

I mean, you'd think an atheist website would have such a section--or is that just me thinking that?

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline grant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
Re: New Section
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 06:45:14 AM »
I was thinking there should be a new section too:
- Us
- Them
- Hal
What if the hokey pokey is what its all about?

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 08:53:16 AM »
Nam, what sort of things would you put in an atheist section, since atheist simply means we don't believe in god? I'm trying to "get" it. Thanks.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 08:56:42 AM »
So, I feel there should be an atheist section for topics on atheism itself that has nothing at all to do with religion but just atheism.

What are we going to talk about there?

"I don't believe in god."

"Me neither."

"I love this new section!"

"Me too!"

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 09:02:13 AM »
Nam, what sort of things would you put in an atheist section, since atheist simply means we don't believe in god? I'm trying to "get" it. Thanks.

Yesterday I thought of a topic that dealt with the basic ideology of atheism but I couldn't find a board to place it in, and I felt chatter wasn't a good venue for it since it dealt with an intellectual standpoint and chatter isn't actually a place for such topics. I've thought of other topics in the past, and I did place a few of those in chatter but I felt they didn't belong there.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 09:04:44 AM »

What are we going to talk about there?

"I don't believe in god."

"Me neither."

"I love this new section!"

"Me too!"

A bully's response. One who uses sarcasm to convey the idiocy of, in their opinion, of a request they find to be nonsense.

-Nam

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 09:13:56 AM »
A bully's response.

No it's not.

One who uses sarcasm to convey the idiocy of, in their opinion, of a request they find to be nonsense.

I use little scenarios all the time also - they're very effective. Also, many people here use sarcasm all the time to convey the idiocy of what we perceive to be nonsense Nam. If that's bullying then we'd have to ban half the forum membership.

You're obsessed with me at this point. Calm down and take a step back.

I really just don't see the point of the section you want. I'm as allowed as anyone else to state that.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 09:24:27 AM »
I would suggest, perhaps, that if we have a new section it should be a philosophy section. That would cover any non-religious philosophical issues. Since there isn't any overarching atheist ideology, I think a more general title would be less confusing and more likely to get traffic.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 09:27:23 AM »
Yes, the use of sarcasm is an effective tool. However,
If the topic of atheism relied soley in the non-belief of god, or gods then wikipedia, and other websites and reference material wouldn't have pages upon pages of said topic. It'd just be one line.

So, my request is a valid request where blunt humor isn't warrented. Thus, your sarcasm was unwarranred, and I see it as you bullying me because you enjoy it.

An atheist may just be about the non-belief in a god, or gods but atheism as a whole is much broader.

-Nam

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 09:31:47 AM »
I would suggest, perhaps, that if we have a new section it should be a philosophy section. That would cover any non-religious philosophical issues. Since there isn't any overarching atheist ideology, I think a more general title would be less confusing and more likely to get traffic.

I would agree with a philosophical section. I just think there should be a new board that allows for discussion of a nature that has nothing to do with "religion" itself, or even "science". Not all topics concerning either group is what atheism is solely about, in my opinion.

-Nam

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 04:42:34 PM »
I agree that we need a new section. Something that is for general discussion that is more serious than the chatter section. I don't think I would limit it to philosophy. There have been times that I wanted to post a serious topic and couldn't find a place for it. I always just put it in chatter but I'm not sure that is appropriate as people are less likely to take it seriously.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline fasi345

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 04:36:47 PM »
I think their must be a section having neutral environment with no religious commenting completely based on common sense and personal observations.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +278/-36
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 04:39:18 PM »
I think their must be a section having neutral environment with no religious commenting completely based on common sense and personal observations.

We already have a section for that. It's called "Science". No religion involved; just observations and common sense.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2012, 06:09:56 PM »
Science covers science not everyrthing else that deals with the same outline of thought.

-Nam

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +278/-36
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2012, 06:27:19 PM »
Science covers science not everyrthing else that deals with the same outline of thought.

-Nam

Description:
"News and discussions relating to science and the scientific method"

Bold mine for emphasis.

Anyway, I agree with your OP.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.