Poll

Which religion would you pick to be true?

Judaism
0 (0%)
Christianity
2 (6.3%)
Islam
0 (0%)
Hinduism
2 (6.3%)
Buddhism
7 (21.9%)
Paganism
5 (15.6%)
Scientology
1 (3.1%)
Mormonism
0 (0%)
Satanism
2 (6.3%)
Other
13 (40.6%)

Total Members Voted: 32

Author Topic: If you had to choose one religion to be true...  (Read 1473 times)

Offline The Wannabe

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Agnostic atheist...until further notice.
If you had to choose one religion to be true...
« on: July 26, 2012, 02:49:33 AM »
Which would it be?  If i had to, i'd probably go with some sort of neo-paganism.  A karma system, magic, pseudo-spirituality, no heaven or hell; what's not to love? 

So, how bout the rest of ya?  If you were held at gunpoint and you absolutely had to choose one religion to magically become part of reality , what would your choice be?
"I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance."  -Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
Re: If you had to choose one religion to be true...
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2012, 03:18:41 AM »
I'd choose one of my own making, because when it comes down to it, that is what religion is.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +470/-16
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2012, 03:24:10 AM »
I suppose I’d go for a mild form of Buddhism;  it seems, from what little I know of it, to say, “Be reasonable” and doesn’t preach vast amounts of woo. I stand to be corrected.

Judaism – advantage = just forget the New Testament and you’re almost up to speed. Disadvantage = dietary laws + 600-odd commandments
Christianity = Read WWGHA
Islam = as Judaism but set in the 13th century
Hinduism = too many gods to remember
Paganism = absolute bollocks; why worship a tree that you can cut down and burn or a sun that appears every day whether you want it or not?
Scientology = L Ron Hubbard: “If you want to make real money invent a religion”
Mormonism = a drunken petty con-man sees angels with golden books and then loses them… Yeah, good luck with that
Satanism = see Christianity
Other = Does this include my own? If so, I’ll take atheism plus a vague belief that my dog understands every word I say and believes I am a god.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline The Wannabe

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Agnostic atheist...until further notice.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 03:33:43 AM »
Let me solidify the rules a little bit here.  The religion you choose must already be established and have historical roots.  A belief system of your own making doesn't count.  The "other" category is simply there to cover any preexisting religion i forgot to include in the poll. 
"I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance."  -Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 04:14:44 AM »
Then I'd choose Tenrikyo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tenrikyo
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline IAmFirst

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 04:34:23 AM »
I pick other because my choice is NONE. (Wasn't listed)

But if it was a "pick one or we shoot you" type of situation, then it would be humanism.
2nd of all, if all you believe in is peer-reviewed papers, you won't go very far in life...

-- Shin :D

Offline grant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 04:43:29 AM »
If someone held a gun to my head AND THEN my choice becomes "reality"?

Who exactly is holding this gun? I reckon I would need to choose them....
What if the hokey pokey is what its all about?

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 05:05:19 AM »
Scientology, of course! Aliens and spaceships are cool.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 06:47:01 AM »
Sure, slight Pastafarianism. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Barracuda

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 09:02:38 AM »
Christianity, cause the whole eternity in heaven thing sounds awesome. But not biblical Christianity, I'd prefer the watered-down-nice-god version that most Christians today believe in.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 09:15:04 AM »
Religion isn't the ultimate problem, just those who use it to further their own personal agendas.

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 09:18:58 AM »
Deism. Better a useless god whose existence is irrelevant than a god who would kill the entire planet out of boredom.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
  • Apatheist
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 10:00:39 AM »
Deism. Better a useless god whose existence is irrelevant than a god who would kill the entire planet out of boredom.

What he said.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Online LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 10:39:51 AM »
I do consider myself a christian although pastafarianism sounds very appealing and I'm pretty sure my dog thinks I'm god.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 10:52:47 AM »
Satanism = see Christianity

If you take Levayan Satanism, it's not a case of 'see Christianity'. There is the Satanic bible, but the emphasis isn't to worship Satan or God, it is to become your own god. It is about looking out for only yourself and engaging in the pleasures Christianity says are evil. Their morality is more 'eye for an eye'. It still draws on rituals and the occult though. Still, there's things in there you might expect.

The Nine Satanic Statements:
Satan represents indulgence instead of abstinence
Satan represents vital existence instead of spiritual pipe dreams
Satan represents undefiled wisdom instead of hypocritical self-deceit
Satan represents kindness to those who deserve it, instead of love wasted on ingrates
Satan represents vengeance instead of turning the other cheek
Satan represents responsibility to the responsible instead of concern for psychic vampires
Satan represents man as just another animal (sometimes better, more often worse than those that walk on all fours), who, because of his “divine spiritual and intellectual development,” has become the most vicious animal of all.
Satan represents all of the so-called sins, as they all lead to physical, mental, or emotional gratification
Satan has been the best friend the Church has ever had, as He has kept it in business all these years

The Eleven Satanic Rules:
Do not give opinions or advice unless you are asked.
Do not tell your troubles to others unless you are sure they want to hear them.
When in another’s home, show them respect or else do not go there.
If a guest in your home annoys you, treat them cruelly and without mercy.
Do not make sexual advances unless you are given the mating signal.
Do not take that which does not belong to you, unless it is a burden to the other person and they cry out to be relieved.
Acknowledge the power of magic if you have employed it successfully to obtain your desires. If you deny the power of magic after having called upon it with success, you will lose all you have obtained.
Do not complain about anything to which you need not subject yourself.
Do not harm young children.
Do not kill non-human animals unless you are attacked or for your food.
When walking in open territory, bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them.

The Nine Satanic Sins:
Stupidity
Pretentiousness
Solipsism
Self-Deceit
Herd Conformity
Lack of Perspective
Forgetfulness of Past Orthodoxies
Counterproductive Pride
Lack of Aesthetics

There's some interesting things there. I find it funny 'stupidity' is a sin. Some of the Satanic rules aren't all that bad, like treating annoying guests with cruelty. ;D

[edit]
I chose Buddhism to be boring. I am a philosophical Buddhist and I like some of their more 'spiritual' ideas, even though I don't believe them to be true. If they were true, then I would much prefer an eternal life of 'rebecoming' than an eternity in heaven or hell. Rebecoming wouldn't be boring, because you'd be a new life, with new experiences. Karma working as a law, rather than a delusion, would mean that if I am good, good will happen to me. The biggest bonus as far as religions go, I wouldn't have to bow down in worship to anybody. I'd meditate, but it's not worship at least.

This is of course, if I was pushed to choose. I am happy with my own assessment of reality, but then I guess, if karma were real, people who do good would get good and those who do bad would get bad and unfortunately that's rarely the case and is an oversimplification of the world. But if the world were so simple, then I suppose it would be comforting.

Though, the idea of conjuring magic in Satanism does appeal, but I'm not really the selfish or vengeful sort. ;)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 11:03:30 AM by Seppuku »
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Barracuda

« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 01:13:07 PM »
The latter god could give you eternal life, though. You'd rather die just because you don't agree with how the other god works?

I hate the thought of dying/never being able to come back. Eternal life, by all means.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 01:25:48 PM »
The latter god could give you eternal life, though. You'd rather die just because you don't agree with how the other god works?

Pretty much. If I can obtain eternal life by a means that is in accordance with my ethical code, great. If not, I'd rather face oblivion.

I hate the thought of dying/never being able to come back.

Nothingness is quite boring; I agree.

Eternal life, by all means.

Eternal life, yes. But not by all means. Nothing is good enough or important enough that one should try to obtain it by all means.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2012, 01:35:36 PM »
Satanism. They get orgies. :P
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2012, 01:51:54 PM »
Which one gives you 3 wishes? ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2012, 02:52:40 PM »
Probably buddhism, though if we're magically making something real, I'm rather fond of the whole pagan thing. We'd get to dance naked around trees and have goddesses and magic and stuff.  ;D
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +94/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2012, 03:26:15 PM »
I chose "other" with the intent of choosing Greek mythology.  It's the one (of the religions I'm familiar with) that has the highest ratio of humans scoring with divinity.

who wouldn't want a piece of Aphrodite?!?!
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2012, 03:30:18 PM »
Vodoun. Because I know it, and every deity have a personality(and that personality having a productive and a destructive side), but under a great somewhat benevolent, but mostly disinterested creator feels...vaguely approachable.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2012, 03:49:51 PM »
Absolutely some variety of earth-based (or universe-based) paganism that focuses on the interconnectedness of all things, over time and space.

Greybeard, I would have no trouble worshiping trees as they grew in forests and cities, and no trouble worshiping them after they were transformed into fire or furniture or paper. I would imagine all of the people who the tree shaded over the years, and the animals who harvested its nuts and the insects who feasted on its leaves and bark. I would imagine the craftsmen, who lived nearly a century ago, and who carved the elaborate flor de lis designs on the legs and leafs of my beautiful dining room table. I would think of the factory workers who mass produced my cutting boards and the components of my Ikea bookshelves and the paper mill workers who brought me the pages that inhabit the inside of the books that bring me so much joy.

There would be a lot of reasons to worship a tree. 

I wouldn’t worship the junkmail though. I would have difficulty seeing anything sacred in a tree that  had been transformed into "buy one hamburger, get a free supersized soda" ads.

And we would gather with the faithful in sacred spaces.  Like beaches.  And we would gaze at the waves of the ocean, and imagine each water drop that fell from a cloud, and perhaps landed in a completely different body of water, very very far away, to spend days or weeks or months or years as part of the ocean, traveling deep down to the secret world of coral cities and the hidden mountains and canyons of the seas, and through the empty, desolate reaches where lone sharks floated silently, and between the fins of the schools of brightly colored fish, only to find itself part of an amazingly beautiful wave, destined to wash up on a sandy beach evaporate into the air and find its way back to the clouds. 

We would look up at the moon at night, and think about how its orbit affects the waves, and about how for billions of years is has been circling the earth as the earth circles the sun, and we would wonder about what our descendents will know about the planets and moons in our solar system and what they will know about our neighboring stars and beyond.   

We would give thanks before each meal, and reflect upon the plants and animals that were once living things that inhabited our planet, and are now about to become part of our bodies. 

We would take a moment to reflect upon the farm workers who planted and tended and harvested the plants, and those who raised the animals.  If the food we were about to consume was packaged, we would be thankful for the miners who risked their lives to bring the metals to us, and the mill workers who processed the paper products, and the factory workers who assembled the packaging and the truck drivers who transported the food from wherever it came from to our local stores.  We would reflect upon the fossil fuels that were used to transport the food, and the rig workers and the rich CEO’s and oil barrens, and perhaps upon the fossil fuels themselves, and they originated from the carcasses of living beings that inhabited planet earth so long ago.  Before we ate, we would think about the people we knew, and do a little checklist in our heads about anyone who might be hungry.  And if there was a friend or family member or neighbor or homeless person who needed food, we would set some aside to share with them. 

We would look into the past and contemplate the way everything that has every happened on planet earth has potentially impacted on our lives, from the great inventions and discoveries that bring us the knowledge and technology that others take for granted, to the death of the ancient creatures who formed our fossil fuels, and those who, in death, made our soils rich. 

We would look forward into the future, and imagine how everything that we do would impact on those who will come after us.

And we would look in real time, across the planet, and remember that everything we consume, and everything that we use, and everything we touch, comes to us because of the time and labor of others, and/or because of the complex and amazing ways in which the earth’s ecosystems behave. 

And we would remember that we are all connected to each other.  Across time and space. 

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2012, 09:11:40 PM »
The way I interpreted the question, the one that became True based after my decision automatically meant that everything that it claims would be possible. As such, I chose the obvious one, Satanism!  :)

Now the question is, which branch? In real life as is, the LaVeyan branch is the most realistic and factual. Thank's to Seppuku for providing the information in the Satanic Bible of the "Sins" and "Statements"!

However, if I could pick one to become a reality, and thus, all rituals, abilities claimed, demons, interactions become actually real, there are so many branches to choose from I'd really have to think about it.

I am still particularly fond of straight up Devil Worship, or the Temple of the Black Light. I could also look into the Lucifarians, or maybe the Dragon Rouge. I also prefer the Chaos religions as well, which influenced certain sects of Satanism. One example is Sumerian Chaos Gnosticism influencing the Temple of the Black Light.

I can't stand the Son of Sam, and although it's a Nazi belief system, the Order of the Nine Angels are extremely similar to the LaVeyans, except for the racism mentioned.

But last, and not least, as Satanists/Satanism has shown, Satanists/Devil Worshippers make THE BEST music EVER!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 09:13:29 PM by Death over Life »

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2012, 09:27:43 PM »
I firmly believe in the Great Green Arkleseizure.

We are all just waiting for the coming of the great white handkerchief.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Online LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2012, 10:03:18 PM »
Let me solidify the rules a little bit here.  The religion you choose must already be established and have historical roots.  A belief system of your own making doesn't count.  The "other" category is simply there to cover any preexisting religion i forgot to include in the poll.
I don't think a lot of people are taking this seriously as far as not making up religions but I have to say this is my favorite thread since I've started reading this forum.  :) Many posts have made me laugh out loud.  ;D But I'm pretty sure noone will beat Quesi's description which is a great way to live - religion or not.  :D
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Red McWilliams

• Illuminati
  • Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2012, 10:38:53 PM »
I'd want some kind of reincarnation.
Today I step into the shoes of a great man, a man by the name of Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.

Online LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2012, 10:45:28 PM »
@ Red -- I always said if there was reincarnation I would want to come back as my dog.  He has the easiest life ever.

Offline Red McWilliams

• Illuminati
  • Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2012, 11:49:48 PM »
@ Red -- I always said if there was reincarnation I would want to come back as my dog.  He has the easiest life ever.

Ain't that the truth!
Today I step into the shoes of a great man, a man by the name of Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho.