Author Topic: WWGHA just not thorough enough  (Read 3163 times)

Offline truehyuga

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Back. For now.
Re: WWGHA just not thorough enough
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2012, 01:17:58 AM »
Assuming we are going by the standard definition of faith (believing in spite of or in absence of evidence) a being that ran on pure faith would be completely shut out from all outside stimuli, or at least incredibly proficient at ignoring them. One could argue that to a specimen such as this, all it would take for said subject to move a mountain in their view of reality would be to believe they could move a mountain. This would not mean that the mountain actually moved in the real world; just that they've trained themselves to hallucinate very well.

Are you proposing that Jesus (assuming existence, reliability of that quote, etc.) was simply insane?
What you allow will always increase; good or bad.

Offline thelov

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2012, 02:48:39 AM »
I will choose faith.  I'm glad I live in a country where, by and large people will respect my faith.  I have looked at aetheism and it just doesn't work, seem logical or make sense for me. 

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2012, 03:01:45 AM »
I will choose faith.  I'm glad I live in a country where, by and large people will respect my faith.  I have looked at aetheism and it just doesn't work, seem logical or make sense for me. 

How is atheism so difficult?

Atheist: I don't believe in god/s.

That's it. How is that difficult?

The only people who respect your "faith",  are those of your "faith".

-Nam
« Last Edit: October 20, 2012, 03:05:05 AM by Nam »
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2012, 04:46:54 AM »

The concept that things operate without the need of an intangible invisible eternal superbeing seems illogical to you? How?
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Aceluffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2012, 10:04:42 AM »

I used to live in a very religious country but I'm far from "glad". I guess it's just a matter of perspective. Especially when you've seen head decapitation done by muslims right in front of you.

BTW, it's Atheism, ok ?

So, if I understand you correctly, are you saying that stuff that seem logical or make sense to you ( which in this case, Atheism ) is something that doesn't work for you ? It just won't do ?
You'd rather choose something that's illogical and doesn't make sense ?  :o
If we were made in His image, then why aren't humans invisible too?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2012, 10:24:19 AM »
It's "atheism", not capitalized. 

I don't think he was saying he cannot be an atheist because it is too logical.  I read it thusly:

I have looked at aetheism and it just doesn't...
... work,
... seem logical
... make sense for me.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 03:39:09 PM by screwtape »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +299/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2012, 11:05:48 AM »
^you have a "d" on your "an". :P

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #36 on: December 29, 2012, 01:55:51 PM »
I know this is old news but I just thought it was hilarious that these Christians do the same thing over and over. It's the infinite OP post and RUN syndrome! They shoot off one post thinking, "That will get them!" and then never return - or they just post, get scarred of having their absurd beliefs challenged, and RUN.

This is comedy to me because I used to do the same thing. It's like rewinding the tape and watching myself. The fear of becoming informed (losing ignorance and waking up to reality) is an absolutely terrible thing.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2012, 02:43:14 PM »
I know this is old news but I just thought it was hilarious that these Christians do the same thing over and over. It's the infinite OP post and RUN syndrome! They shoot off one post thinking, "That will get them!" and then never return - or they just post, get scarred of having their absurd beliefs challenged, and RUN.

This is comedy to me because I used to do the same thing. It's like rewinding the tape and watching myself. The fear of becoming informed (losing ignorance and waking up to reality) is an absolutely terrible thing.

Well, when ones only skill is ducking reality, they oft times think they're an expert at it.

Get used to the drive-bys, median. The lemmings going off of cliffs thing is a myth, but not christians who do the same thing. They're for real. But they are unarmed. Well, to put it more accurately, their intellect is unloaded.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2012, 09:11:44 PM »
Hey, I stuck around...and look what happened! LOL. This is something I believe (deep down) they all fear. Deep down (in their heart of hearts) they know their beliefs are bullshit. But they continue them due to fear of the unknown.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Online Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +515/-18
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2013, 02:47:21 PM »
Since a mustard seed is a tiny inanimate object
seeds are not inanimate, otherwise we would call them "little bits of rock."

How can we argue with someone who does not know this?

If you believe that seeds are "little bits of rock." what else might you believe?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”