Author Topic: Prayer doesn't work  (Read 5161 times)

Offline Czar

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-6
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Prayer doesn't work
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 12:08:47 AM »
 Ok, Fiancee is sleeping now.
  After studying my case Dr Nam couldn't see what was affecting me or why a surgery will be necessary, but yes the nerves were sore and the muscle atrophy was severe. He didn't know why but he was not going to waste time investigating but just work on the soreness.
 - If there is anything wrong in between second and third vertebrae I cannot help you. He said
 He was touching my back and suddenly tap me in the shoulder
 - Don't worry, you are cured.

He set the needles up, some electrical device and run the electricity inside my body. Don't ask me were was he setting the needles, I was giving my back so I didn't see it, but it was my first good night sleep in four months.
 I asked him if I was going to walk again and he said yes, I asked for how long it was going to take and he answered fifteen days. He told my father to stop all the drugs I was taking and to get me some diapers. My digestive system was not working well due to the damaged nerves, but he said that with his treatment it was going to get back to normal and i was going to defecate a lot.
 I questioned him also about my future in sports and other things you know, so he said his expectations were that I would have a 75% functionality and my limbs might be too weak to ever try on martial arts or football, but I was going to be fine.
 Me so innocent back then ( a beautiful state of grace) was arranging plans to go a to a concert with my sister in law in the 16th day of my treatment, totally convinced that I was going to walk normal in fifteen days, haha
 On the 15th day without my father's permission and with the help of my cousin, who was playing some iron maiden music to give me energy, I tried to get up on my own and walk. The pain was gone i was successful on getting up, very straight because I couldn't bend the back at all, and walked three tiny steps using a walker, I went back to bed and I couldn't go to the concert, haha.
 later I took a shower on my own for the first time in so long, I felt I was going to feint but it was awesome. Then the pain came back to my legs but for the phlebitis now, did i care? no but that put me back to bed again.

Offline Czar

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2012, 12:56:15 AM »
 ok let's make it short.

When I got back on my feet I was seventeen yo , 5'10 f and 92 lb...skinny man, weak and slow, learning how to walk again.
 well, my family wasn't able to afford the physical therapy but I got a gay friend who was infatuated with me for a long time and he owned a gym and so that was good. My arch enemy Julius came over to visit me and we made peace, he got a membership to a complex with a swimming pool so that was good. My recovery was awesome and when I got control of my body again i was somehow more precise in everything.
 Dr Nam told me later that he lied to me, he never tought I was gonna walk without crutches (my dad got me crutches after talking prvately with Dr Nam) that 75% functionality was BS, he was never thinking at all that I was going to recover so well, so he said " i cannot tell you what to do, go on with the football and martial arts, I was wrong...just remember what happened to you and if you feel that again, stop whatever is that you are doing"  well I did go on and to quote Chael Sonnen "I'm 205 perfect pounds engeneered by god" I became an excellent sport practitioneer and most likely I jump and run faster then most people.
 Dr Nam, didn't believe in God, he used to say things like "oh don't thank god, thanks Dr Nam" o "there is no God, God didn't cured you, you cured yourself, it was your belief, it was your will, it was your positive thinking, your will to go to that concert"
 So do I have so much power, Dr Nam?
 Just stay positive and believe in yourself.
 So, it was my belief, me trusting in my deal with God that helped me , so it's not that bad to believe in something?
 whatever works for you, he said.
 Dr Nam never charges for anything, he told my father that he was paying something back.
 Now if Dr Nam didn't believe in anything but himself, what was he paying back? according to him he got help like that when he was a teenager and when he saw me he thought of that time and that it was time to pay back...pay back to what? to whom? to karma?
 Bottom line, I believe that after my deal with some deity everything just fell in place for my recovery and I did do my part
of the deal. I think and believe that within the rules of nature (nature as a manifestation of God) the God of Thunder or the God of starship troopper alien insects will help us and will pave the way to cover what is need it.
 I have more experiences, i will tell you, but now I'm going to check on your replies.

Offline Czar

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #31 on: July 29, 2012, 02:14:13 AM »
 I'm sorry Cablebandit, I forgot to answer the question, even though I don't really got it, are you asking for help to convince your sister that prayer doesn't work or are you trying to understand why it doesn' work? however, there goes my belief
 Is impossible to get married before God because God is everywhere and always forever, so before behind etcetera aren't possibilities.
 God doesn't need a church or any other building, the christians and anybody using those customs are wrong
 There is no way to get blessings thru the prayers of men (the priest and audience in the church) since men are not God obviously and most likely men including the priest are dirty sinners and probably weren't even thinking about the couple during their prayers but of something else.
 who knows, even the groom and the bride were not thinking of any prayers but of the last sexting to their lovers, God knows!

God was probably lol in heavens, thinking "do they really think they have that much power? did i ever said that?...now where is Moses now? ... MOSES"

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #32 on: July 29, 2012, 03:03:35 AM »
good day Czar

Bruce Lee had no gods to curtsy too; He was a human just like you or I, he died of something that we can fix nowadays. He had back pain too.

All these miracles that you cater to are made up in your own mind. The brain is a very complicated machine, its such a wondrously complicated machine, that it can tell the body to heal itself, without the owners knowledge.

Why must you insult the very machine you possess, by taking it for granted and giving credit to an unknown entity? 
You sound like a child, Full of wishful thinking.

I have back pain all the time; have had it since I was kid. I manage it. Push ups, sit ups, walking. When its really bad, toradol, flexeril. all fixed.  No gods, no magic, no complicated story's. And its so easy.
 ;)
The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline Czar

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #33 on: July 29, 2012, 03:20:06 AM »
Thanks everybody, I'm glad you welcommed me.

Quesi, what at an adventure! I think God was with you all the time and thanks to God the Doctors find out about the syndrome and you got your exemption and now you know what to do. If they didn't you were to get vaccines but oh coincidence or luck or God. I said Quetzalcoalt God was there.

Lorinpinkangel, I'm not so young but in the heart. Yes they might be a medical explaination, but that, the medical explaination, won't prove that prayers doesn't work...medical explainations are if they are because God allowes men's intelligency. Everything happens and exist from God( Thor, Loki, Zeus, Jupiter, Chulthu,all)

Gawd, see I communicate with that mysterious being in a difficult way to explain. Two weeks ago I was in a tournament and I was losing badly so I invoqued it for help and got words in my mind "let go, let go, let go on passion" and I started playing that way, with rough passion in the zone furiously. I came back to win (the team captain is atheist and he doesn't believe in what I said, we talk about it a lot for when something amazing happens. He said I'm just creating my own luck by staying positive and never giving up. So now we are studying the book The Luck Factor by Professor Richard Wiseman) And yes the Doctors wanted to cut some bones here and there to release pressure from the nerves, however, there was no bone touching nerves and I don't have a disc touching nerves either, it just happens.  I'm sorry about your lost, I lost my father four years ago and he was my best friend unreplaceable. I don't think God or the whole olympo will ever explain "the plan" and we ought know that we are mortals, mortality is what gives a meaning to life.

Jetson, you lied to me bro. You know I'm in front of a computer and after you said about study showing that prayer doesn't work, of course i google it!! what other thing a simple man like me will do? and there is not such of thing, nothing have been proven about it.  Now about healing amputees, I think it happens but not in that fantastic way that you would like to see and plus , let me investigate if God ever offered anything like that, I mean there are so many theories like in Kabbalah is perfectly explained that our bodies are worth nothing, we are worth nothing but only as a meaning to a greatest end. Did you ever heard God or Thor promising such of unjust thing, healing amputees? people please.  if you are in NY I will gladly introduce you to my personal friend Dexter Benjamin, famous amputee and let's see what he has to say about it.

Nam, let me tell you something you already know: You don't own the truth.
 So when a person says something is interesting that person have no real understanding of the matter? hahaha what matter?
 I understood you guys don't see how prayer works, what else? I think is interesting, since I see how it does works so what is that bad? I mean , what's with the suffering with my expressions? can I have some freedom in the use of the words or should I call you first? sorry man.
 I'm the evidence and my testimony is true, even if it hurts you. You have no evidence of the absence of God and that's a problem with science always. how can you prove that God is not truth? I dare you Nam, do it. And please don't come with the craziness of oh why don't you pray to God to give you a million dollars, ask for something withing reality and norm of nature, stop with the fantasy and dragons. Cheeses, just understand that you don't know how God works and God doesn't have to explain anything to anyone(even though he shows himself or herself all the time every annoying second of our lives) because we are human, like Kant said, we cannot ever understand God from our point of view. (science says the same)
 so be objective like you said and explain how is that you are so smart and nothing designed your brain. Since God doesn't exist, then who did it...an Alien maybe? well so who created that Alien, and on and on.
 Nam, we were talking about prayers and you want to be objective, oh please, there is no way to measure prayers and other thinking, there is no metrical for any of that. look go read about the phenomena of meditation and prayers investigation by discover magazine or any other science mags. 
 Nam, ok so next time I should not use the word tale to tell the tale but chronicle to tell chronicle or you might police it oh grammar cop... relax Nam, I was talking about my life.
 Nam, when I said I think some people might want to see a miracle, is because that's what I think, respect my thinking dude or dudette. And magic, you should know I'm referring to magic as the forgery of forces of nature as manifestation of God, too long to explain now.
 Nam, you don't know me and I don't know anyone here, stop the paranoia. I'm illiterate in your language.
 Nam, I'm not mad at you. writing can be confusing sometimes, look Eddy Oting Nam treatment was in Guayaquil- Ecuador.
 Eddy Oting Nam died in 2006 if I remember correctly.

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #34 on: July 29, 2012, 03:31:40 AM »
facepalm
The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #35 on: July 29, 2012, 03:35:51 AM »
it appears this word salad has more than croutons......

Offline Czar

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #36 on: July 29, 2012, 03:39:56 AM »
Hi Voodoo Child,
 Yes, I'm full of wishful thinking :)

what a marvel our brain, with so much power and mystery.  The brain can heal its owner  but God cannot?
 I believe God is everywhere and in everything, all the drugs you take for your pain were created by God, everything was, is and will be created by God.
 You cannot escape God, the more that science investigates the more closer we get to God and we are in awe, constantly.
 Men are intelligent because God wanted to, and there are no proves of the transition of men from a dumb animal to a smart intelligent being, apparently men have always being superior, never living in the jungle.
 Brain is awesome by the way  8)

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #37 on: July 29, 2012, 03:58:32 AM »
Posted by: Czar
 on: Today at 03:20:06 AM »                                 
respect my thinking dudeordudette

Yeah, good luck with that...
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Czar

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #38 on: July 29, 2012, 06:17:10 AM »
  Right, good luck with that haha!

Since Bruce Lee was in the convo, I just watched The Way of the Dragon... Lee takes on Norris and yeah after that why not some Chuck Norris movie? Invasion USA  yeah

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #39 on: July 29, 2012, 07:49:46 AM »
Czar - don't call me a liar.  Your google skills are obviously pathetic, or perhaps it is your reading skills.

This is one way to look for the studies.  Google "studies on efficacy of prayer":

Click here to see all of the results.

It is clear to me that you will not likely be able to admit how wrong you are, so I wanted to make sure the other members and guests can see your dishonesty.

I'll think about replying to your unsubstantiated noise about amputees.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #40 on: July 29, 2012, 07:51:44 AM »
what a marvel our brain, with so much power and mystery.

True for some people, at least.

The brain can heal its owner

There is such a thing as the placebo effect for certain conditions, yes.

but God cannot?

Considering that deities don't exist, it would be rather difficult for them to do much of anything at all.

I believe God is everywhere and in everything

I've never really understood defining "God" pantheistically.  It seems to me that it renders the concept meaningless.

all the drugs you take for your pain were created by God

Painkillers that are either fully or partially manmade include: Fentanyl, Stadol, OxyContin, Demerol, Hydrocodone, MS Contin, Percocet, Lorcet, Dilaudid, and Zydone.

everything was, is and will be created by God.

Citation needed.

You cannot escape God

What does that even mean?

the more that science investigates the more closer we get to God and we are in awe, constantly.

Quite the contrary, naturalistic explanations for the world around us are pushing out supernaturalistic ones more and more all the time, and science has never once investigated any phenomenon and concluded that a naturalistic explanation was impossible.

there are no proves of the transition of men from a dumb animal to a smart intelligent being

Evolution is a settled matter.  Shoot, we have more evidence for evolution than we do for plate tectonics, and nobody questions plate tectonics.

apparently men have always being superior, never living in the jungle.

Partial list of tribes currently living in the Amazon rainforest, or jungle if you will: Baniwa, Kuripako, Dow, Hupda, Nadöb, Yuhupde, Baré, Warekena, Arapaso, Bará, Barasana, Desana, Karapanã, Kubeo, Makuna, Mirity-tapuya, Pira-tapuya, Siriano, Tariana, Tukano, Tuyuca, Wanana, Tatuyo, Taiwano, Yuruti, Kakwa, Nukak, Aweti, Kalapalo, Kamaiurá , Kuikuro, Matipu, Mehinako, Nahukuá, Trumai, Wauja, Yawalapiti, Ikpeng , Kaiabi , Suyá and Yudja.

(And how would living in the jungle make a man "inferior" in any way, anyway?)

Brain is awesome by the way  8)

Yes, he is.  I wish he still participated here.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +354/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2012, 10:22:16 AM »
I'm sorry, Czar still seems like a fake, to me. I have just my gut feeing about it, no evidence. Personally, since the OP hasn't been on in awhile, it's probably s/he.

I mean, he talks like a 13 year old but uses words that 13 year olds wouldn't know unless really smart, or what not.

It all just seems far-fetched.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Czar

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2012, 02:57:30 AM »
Jetson, thanks for the help with the google.
 Well, I follow your link and read the first one of the searching results, a wikipedia one, and oh my God! it says nothing about proving prayers to be effective or not effective, so is giving me the same answers as before. If you didn't lie to me then it was probably that you got carried away by passion and didn't read the articles before using them.  well then again, it was wikipedia :)  ok, now I'm going to read the second searching result from NYTimes(in 2006 by the way, kinda old)

Sorry I never meant to offend you, it was just that you said something that was not there, but well , I'll keep on reading.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2012, 03:07:36 AM »
I'm with Nam on this one. This is definitely not real OR some sort of backwards evolution.

Offline Czar

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2012, 03:16:21 AM »
Pianodwarf, sire.  Tribes don't live in the jungle, they live in their well constructed homes.  From your daring point of view we all live in the jungle, please. 
 I dare you to find any tribes living like animals without tools and science. there is no factual prove of men living in the jungle, men always build something always change the surroundings to survive. Now thanks to science (science is God's creation too, so all the drugs too, let's not be repetitive with that) we know that Homo Sapiens was very different from the other hominids and was not result of any evolution, it seems that Homo Sapiens were the exterminator of the other hominids and apparently the dinosaurs were also killed by Homo Sapiens and not by any meteorite or comet or anything like that. Forget about anthropology from the 70s and 80s, look at the science now.
 well, is it licit to show you a video of a tribe in the amazonian region?

PD: there is also not factual prove that Jesus ever existed

Offline Czar

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2012, 03:27:13 AM »
 Jetson, I just read the second one from Nytimes and same thing, there are not conclusions.

and it was you wanted to do this? man , I will keep reading tomorrow. I have to look for a video of lost tribe living in edifications destroying  the jungle, changing the jungle  constructing with tools thanks to God's given intelligence.

hey, they do believe in God!

Offline Czar

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2012, 03:42:27 AM »
Pianodwarf, look at this video
 I don't want to say that I've proved you wrong, I mean, this is something known for a long time and thanks God we have internet and youtube to show you this beautiful images of how tribes are uncapable to live in the wild just like an animal.
 Is kind of unfair to do this but thanks to my experience plus studies in anthropology, religion and physics, the shuara men and the magical properties of ayahuasca, all provided by God I was able to bring some light to you.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2012, 03:54:24 AM »
From your daring point of view we all live in the jungle, please. 

Easily the coolest sentence I have read on this forum.

PD: there is also not factual prove that Jesus ever existed

Sshh, that's supposed to be a secret
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2012, 03:54:41 AM »
now, although this is a clear troll what we see here is still quite common for non-troll visitors. They'll take any evidence and claim it supports them. In this case footage of tribes in the wild. It seems that dishonesty is actually one of the pillars in which much theism stands on.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2012, 03:56:50 AM »
now, although this is a clear troll what we see here is still quite common for non-troll visitors. They'll take any evidence and claim it supports them. In this case footage of tribes in the wild. It seems that dishonesty is actually one of the pillars in which much theism stands on.

Maybe a bit hasty there - I think the language barrier is pretty high.

And he's making clear attempts to address individual responses.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Czar

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2012, 04:10:22 AM »
 and talking about light, we all know that because there is so much light there's also so much shadow, so a gift from the past:

An atheist professor of philosophy speaks to his class on the problem science has with God, The Almighty. He asks one of his new students to stand and…..

Prof: So you believe in God?

Student: Absolutely, sir.

Prof: Is God good?

Student: Sure.

Prof: Is God all-powerful?

Student: Yes..

Prof: My brother died of cancer even though he prayed to God to heal him. Most of us would attempt to help others who are ill. But God didn’t. How is this God good then? Hmmmm?

(Student is silent.)

Prof: You can’t answer, can you? Let’s start again, young fella. Is God good?

Student: Yes.

Prof: Is Satan good?

Student: No.

Prof: Where does Satan come from?

Student: From….God…

Prof: That’s right. Tell me son, is there evil in this world?

Prof: Evil is everywhere, isn’t it? And God did make everything. Correct?

Prof: So who created evil?

(Student does not answer.)

Prof: Is there sickness? Immorality? Hatred? Ugliness? All these terrible things exist in the world, don’t they?

Student: Yes, sir.

Prof: So, who created them?

(Student has no answer.)

Prof: Science says you have 5 senses you use to identify and observe the world around you. Tell me, son…Have you ever seen God?

Student: No, sir.

Prof: Tell us if you have ever heard your God?

Student: No, sir.

Prof: Have you ever felt your God, tasted your God, smelt your God? Have you ever had any sensory perception of God for that matter?

Student: No, sir. I’m afraid I haven’t.

Prof: Yet you still believe in Him?

Prof: According to empirical, testable, demonstrable protocol, science says your GOD doesn’t exist. What do you say to that, son?

Student: Nothing. I only have my faith.

Prof: Yes. Faith. And that is the problem science has.

Student: Professor, is there such a thing as heat?

Prof: Yes.

Student: And is there such a thing as cold?

Prof: Yes.

Student: No sir. There isn’t.
(The lecture theatre becomes very quiet with this turn of events.)

Student : Sir, you can have lots of heat, even more heat, superheat, mega heat, white heat, a little heat or no heat. But we don’t have anything called cold. We can hit 458 degrees below zero which is no heat, but we can’t go any further after that. There is no such thing as cold . Cold is only a word we use to describe the absence of heat. We cannot measure cold. Heat is energy . Cold is not the opposite of heat, sir, just the absence of it .
(There is pin-drop silence in the lecture theatre.)

Student: What about darkness, Professor? Is there such a thing as darkness?

Prof: Yes. What is night if there isn’t darkness?

Student : You’re wrong again, sir. Darkness is the absence of something. You can have low light, normal light, bright light, flashing light….But if you have no light constantly, you have nothing and it’s called darkness, isn’t it? In reality, darkness isn’t. If it were you would be able to make darkness darker, wouldn’t you?

Prof: So what is the point you are making, young man?

Student: Sir, my point is your philosophical premise is flawed.

Prof: Flawed? Can you explain how?

Student: Sir, you are working on the premise of duality. You argue there is life and then there is death, a good God and a bad God. You are viewing the concept of God as something finite, something we can measure. Sir, science can’t even explain a thought.. It uses electricity and magnetism, but has never seen, much less fully understood either one.To view death as the opposite of life is to be ignorant of the fact that death cannot exist as a substantive thing. Death is not the opposite of life: just the absence of it. Now tell me, Professor.Do you teach your students that they evolved from a monkey?

Prof: If you are referring to the natural evolutionary process, yes, of course, I do.

Student: Have you ever observed evolution with your own eyes, sir?
(The Professor shakes his head with a smile, beginning to realize where the argument is going.)

Student: Since no one has ever observed the process of evolution at work and cannot even prove that this process is an on-going endeavor, are you not teaching your opinion, sir? Are you not a scientist but a preacher? (The class is in uproar.)

Student: Is there anyone in the class who has ever seen the Professor’s brain?
(The class breaks out into laughter.)

Student: Is there anyone here who has ever heard the Professor’s brain, felt it, touched or smelt it? No one appears to have done so. So, according to the established rules of empirical, stable, demonstrable protocol, science says that you have no brain,sir. With all due respect, sir, how do we then trust your lectures, sir?
(The room is silent. The professor stares at the student, his face unfathomable.)

Prof: I guess you’ll have to take them on faith, son.

Student: That is it sir… The link between man & god is FAITH . That is all that keeps things moving & alive.

- – - This a true story, and the student was none other than….. Albert Einstein

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2012, 04:12:52 AM »
That story is as true as flying shoes. It's a well-known lie told and spread by theists everywhere. They're also the only ones who believe it, since they don't understand why it's a fallacy.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 04:16:43 AM by One Above All »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline Czar

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2012, 04:34:51 AM »
yeah, the albert einstein part is probably not true, but I like it!

seeya later peoplez. In the name of the father and the son and holy spirit of the grail of the templar of the mutant cruzader of the catholic roman of the buddhist of the eternal of the big bang amen saint seiya tekken

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2012, 04:42:24 AM »
yeah, the albert einstein part is probably not true, but I like it!

I actually meant the whole story. The Einstein bit is just an appeal to authority (a fallacy). The story itself is a lie.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2012, 04:49:47 AM »

I actually meant the whole story. The Einstein bit is just an appeal to authority (a fallacy). The story itself is a lie.

It probably isn't true as a whole, but possibly various bits and pieces happened more or less as related, one or two at a time over the years.

I can certainly imagine lots of professors over the years making such statements, and it stands to reason they'd be debated. My wife has a vocally atheistic professor this semester.
Go on up you baldhead.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2012, 04:55:39 AM »
It probably isn't true as a whole, but possibly various bits and pieces happened more or less as related, one or two at a time over the years.

I can certainly imagine lots of professors over the years making such statements, and it stands to reason they'd be debated. My wife has a vocally atheistic professor this semester.

A professor forgetting that the effects of wind, et cetera are perfectly visible, whereas gods' are not? A professor forgetting that cold, et cetera are relative terms? Sure. Sounds perfectly likely to me.
We choose our own gods.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2012, 05:04:13 AM »
As I said...the entire conversation, as related above, no real chance that happened.

A professor being thrown by something outside his field of expertise, even if momentarily, would be all that is required for the developmeent of such a story to commence.
Go on up you baldhead.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2012, 05:10:01 AM »
A professor being thrown by something outside his field of expertise, even if momentarily, would be all that is required for the developmeent of such a story to commence.

No, it's not. It's also necessary that the professor be a complete moron so as not to know why we can be certain wind exists and why cold and heat exist, et cetera.
EDIT: In short, it's necessary that the professor be as dumb as Bill O'Reilly.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 05:17:58 AM by One Above All »
We choose our own gods.