Author Topic: Mars!  (Read 2318 times)

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Mars!
« on: July 24, 2012, 06:37:05 PM »
Human settlement of Mars in 2023

Mars One will establish the first human settlement on Mars in 2023. A habitable settlement will be waiting for the settlers when they land. The settlement will support them while they live and work on Mars the rest of their lives. Every two years after 2023 an additional crew will arrive, such that there is a real living, growing community on Mars. Mars One has created a technical plan for this mission that is as simple as possible. For every component of the mission we have identified at least one potential supplier. Mars One invites you to join us in this next giant leap for mankind!

http://mars-one.com/en/

Wow!

Any Kim Stanley Robinson fans getting ready to re-read Red Mars, Green Mars, Blue Mars?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Mars!
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2012, 07:34:51 PM »
(1) How are they going to make the air to breath for a lifetime?

(2) Whats the purpose of this?  Do they have oil?

(3) We can't even keep the Earth clean and welcoming.  How long will it take for us to mess up Mars?

(4) If I can get away from the nuts like Rush Limpballs and FOX I might consider it. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2012, 08:19:16 PM »
They've got an FAQ Nick, but I'm not sure that they answer most of your questions.

They are planning on having a lottery for slots to be among the first to go, and the lottery winners will get to do a competition sort of thing.  They will probably televise at as a fundraising strategy.  A reality show sort of thing. 

Have you read the Kim Stanley Robinson books?   The three books in the series are probably all in my top 20 favorite books of all time.  They deal with your questions.  And more. 

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2012, 03:13:09 PM »
Since days (and nights) are longer on Mars, would moving there increase or decrease ones lifespan?
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2012, 05:03:45 AM »
Even if they could terraform mars and produce breathable air, the radiation would kill you. People living on Mars will have to wear suits whenever they go outside.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline Graybeard

• Darwins +460/-15
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2012, 05:12:44 AM »
People living on Mars will have to wear suits whenever they go outside.
That seems a little formal, are you sure that casual clothes are forbidden?
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2012, 06:02:37 AM »
One big downside: it's a one-way trip.  If the Mars One company runs out of money, or the life-support system breaks down, the astronaut/settlers are SOL.  Also, their timetable is wildly optimistic.  They're expecting to land hab modules in 2016, when they don't even have a heavy-lift launch vehicle yet?
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2012, 06:18:51 AM »
Mars One will establish the first human settlement on Mars in 2023.

My prediction: Won't happen.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2012, 07:18:43 AM »
Mars One will establish the first human settlement on Mars in 2023.

My prediction: Won't happen.

Fear you might be right.  Hope you are wrong. 

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2012, 09:27:52 AM »
I'd go. But only if it didn't cost me anything. I hope they have 3-breasted women like advertised in that Schwarzenegger commercial I saw awhile back.

;)

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +29/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 10:58:17 AM »
Interesting website. If you are going to dream you might as well dream big but I think this falls into the pipe dream category.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
  • Apatheist
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 12:03:50 PM »
I'm not optimistic about the success of this mission. I also would not want to be first!
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 03:35:46 PM »
Those tin cans look like one dust storm would be sufficient to eradicate our invasion force.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-1
    • My blog
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2012, 09:02:17 PM »
I'd go. But only if it didn't cost me anything. I hope they have 3-breasted women like advertised in that Schwarzenegger commercial I saw awhile back.

;)

-Nam

I dunno...I love the idea of space exploration and I'd be tempted... But, I'm pretty sure that it wouldn't be all that long before "I'm on MARS!  AWESOME!" would wear off, and the fact of being cooped up inside the equivalent of a single-wide trailer and not being able to go outside without a spacesuit, the nearest blade of grass is 60 million miles away, and my next shipment of food and replacement air seals depends on the ratings of a reality TV show sucked away all the cool.  Notice how the site refers to the astronauts arriving on "their new home planet."  There's no trip home.  No ticker-tape parade, no adoring fans of the desired gender, no book deal... 

These guys would do much better to team up with Planetary Resources and send their astronauts to a near-earth asteroid, with fuel for the return trip.  If they've got the delta-V to send all that stuff to Mars, I bet they could get a capsule to an "Earth-grazer" asteroid and back. 

WRT Mars exploration, I wish somebody would launch a drone aircraft to the Valles Marineris (largest canyon in the Solar System--has to be awesome!) instead of the endless, flat, rock-strewn deserts that make good places to land rovers or astronauts.
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2012, 11:13:32 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks this is a damn waste of money?  Are they going to learn anything on Mars that will feed the hungry on earth, help us fix what we've screwed up in our atmosphere, replace what we've used up & wasted, cure any diseases??  Anything fricken useful for real anyone other than scientists and academics??
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2012, 11:28:31 PM »
^^^ You're probably not the only one, sadly. It will be someone with clout and your attitude who will kill such missions.

Consider for a moment that the idea is to send people farther than we've ever travelled before. To a place less hospitable than the peak of Mount Everest. Where they will need to have new or improved technology to be able to eat and breath.

Could all those same technolgies then be used on Earth? Yes. Just as many other things developed for the space program have benefitted us.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +782/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2012, 11:31:38 PM »

;)

-Nam

No es bueno tener tres senos. I taught my daughter and nephew that when they were babies. They still say it and crack up.

If I was single and kidless I would be all over the Mars deal. After all, Mars-needs-women. Kick it!

Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2012, 12:41:43 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks this is a damn waste of money?  Are they going to learn anything on Mars that will feed the hungry on earth, help us fix what we've screwed up in our atmosphere, replace what we've used up & wasted, cure any diseases??  Anything fricken useful for real anyone other than scientists and academics??

No, you're probably not the only one. But for the long-term prosperity of the human species, I believe establishing a permanent human presence in space (on Mars, Luna or elsewhere) is vital.

For instance, unless we learn to curb our consumption of resources, we are going to run out of things we need to keep our civilization going: certain metals, cheap oil and so on. Our highly advanced, highly populated, highly wasteful mode of life (particularly in the "first world") can't be sustained indefinitely.

It would / will take time and incredible effort to reach such resources in space and make their exploitation economical. But doing so would give the human race options for long-term survival that right now we don't have, not if we want to keep the astounding progress we've made in the last thousand years and improve on it.

kcrady mentioned exploiting Earth (orbit)-crossing asteroids; here's a thread that deals with that. Links there for explaining the idea in greater depth. http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,22332.0.html

You're in the medical / health profession; can you see the scientific implications of discovering independently-evolved life on Mars or elsewhere? The applications for research, comparing such life to ours, gaining insight into biology in general?

Also, the money spent on exploring our solar system and investigating astronomy off Earth is a pittance compared to most other national expenditures, at least in the US. But because of it's high profile and perceived low-return, space exploration / exploitation is sadly a convenient target for political / economic scapegoating.

Lastly... the hovertext in this cartoon:
http://xkcd.com/893/

« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 12:58:32 AM by wright »
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-1
    • My blog
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2012, 01:54:24 AM »
As long as we've got money for Stealth bombers, killer drones, bank bailouts, and making the Kardashians rich, we've got money for Mars missions. ;) 

--Greta Christina

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +782/-4
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2012, 02:04:23 AM »
As long as we've got money for Stealth bombers, killer drones, bank bailouts, and making the Kardashians rich, we've got money for Mars missions. ;)

How much money is in offshore accounts again?

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-1
    • My blog
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2012, 02:50:28 AM »
Enough to build a Ringworld, I think...

--Greta Christina

Offline inveni0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-1
    • iMAGINARY god
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2012, 07:52:37 AM »
Even if they could terraform mars and produce breathable air, the radiation would kill you. People living on Mars will have to wear suits whenever they go outside.

If Mars was "terraformed", it would have an atmosphere and geology that would protect us from the radiation.  If the core, however, is too far gone to become active again, Mars' atmosphere may never stick in the first place, and thus terraforming would be impossible.  I'd imagine that the colonies we place on Mars would be "pod" colonies...like what is seen in Total Recall.
http://www.imaginarygod.com

My book designed to ease kids into healthy skepticism is available for pre-order. http://www.peterskeeter.com

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2012, 08:22:08 AM »
Am I the only one who thinks this is a damn waste of money?

No, there are others, but I'm not one of them.

Are they going to learn anything on Mars that will feed the hungry on earth, help us fix what we've screwed up in our atmosphere, replace what we've used up & wasted, cure any diseases??  Anything fricken useful for real anyone other than scientists and academics??

They may very well learn such things, in fact.  There are quite a few useful technologies in use today that came about as a result of the space program but that no one was expecting.  Even if they do not find anything pragmatically useful, however, that does not invalidate the value of the effort.  Pursuit of knowledge is not only a means to something else, it is an end unto itself.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2012, 08:24:08 AM »

Does religion do any of those things? The answer is "no", yet I don't hear you complaining about believers and/or religion.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +290/-80
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2012, 10:09:59 AM »
nogodsforme,

I am single and kidless. See, seems ideal for a guy like me. But women better be there, I can abstain from sex fore awhile but masturbation'll get boring after awhile.

;)

wright,

That's blasphemous! Biblegod will provide even in the desolate world of those who truly believe! Do not speak ill of the provider. Afterall, Mars is a godless terrain. None shall be provided for!

-Nam
This is my signature "Nam", don't I have nice typing skills?

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2012, 12:49:25 PM »

Does religion do any of those things? The answer is "no", yet I don't hear you complaining about believers and/or religion.
http://www.childfund.org/sponsorship/sponsorshiphomepage.aspx?https://secure.operationsmile.org/site/Donation2?http://www.habitat.org/
http://www.jesussite.com/ministries/charitable.html
http://www.guidestar.org/nonprofit-directory/religion/buddhist/1.aspx
http://www.thinkatheist.com/notes/Secular_charities

Uh... yeah, that would be called charity. I put links for charities for all kinds of causes sponsored by all different religions and to be fair I put a link for charities sponsored by secular groups & atheists, too.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +263/-33
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2012, 12:55:20 PM »
Uh... yeah, that would be called charity. I put links for charities for all kinds of causes sponsored by all different religions and to be fair I put a link for charities sponsored by secular groups & atheists, too.

Uh... yeah, that would be called nothing compared to what they actually own. The Pope, for example, rides around with a gold crown on his head while he goes around telling people to pray for food.
And none of those would be needed if religion had simply stopped trying to slow down scientific development. It tells people that their situation is their fault; it tells people not to use methods developed by science that would save their lives, et cetera, ad infinitum.
Religion may not be the cause of all of our problems, but it sure as hell owes us for most of them.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +782/-4
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2012, 01:14:17 PM »

http://www.childfund.org/sponsorship/sponsorshiphomepage.aspx?https://secure.operationsmile.org/site/Donation2?http://www.habitat.org/
http://www.jesussite.com/ministries/charitable.html
http://www.guidestar.org/nonprofit-directory/religion/buddhist/1.aspx
http://www.thinkatheist.com/notes/Secular_charities

I know that most people who give to religious charities mean well. But the fact is that if their religion worked as advertised, there would be no need for such organizations. Think of all the donation money that could be freed up to help people if the churches didn't take a bunch for their own benefit and to send missionaries out to convert. At least they could pay taxes like other businesses.

And secular groups like the UNHCR and the WHO do good things for people without orders from any god.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-6
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2012, 01:18:39 PM »
I agree a lot of horrible things have been done in the name of religion and I could certainly live without the pope.
Sometimes the bad intentions had some good results, Columbus came here in part to spread christianity -- discovered a new world (new to them), the syphilis -- uncool.