Author Topic: Remember What Todd Akin Said? Here's the Next Version From Another GOP Retard  (Read 798 times)

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
Tom Smith, GOP Senate Candidate: Pregnancy From Rape Similar To 'Having A Baby Out Of Wedlock'

Trying to distance himself from the "legitimate rape" comment that Rep. Todd Akin (R-Mo.) made last week, Pennsylvania Senate candidate Tom Smith (R) stirred up further controversy by comparing a pregnancy caused by rape to "having a baby out of wedlock."

Smith said Monday at the Pennsylvania Press Club that although he condemns Akin's comment, he agrees with Akin that abortion should be banned without any exceptions, including for rape and incest victims. Pressed by a reporter on how he would handle a daughter or granddaughter becoming pregnant as a result of rape, Smith said he had already "lived something similar to that" in his family.

"She chose life, and I commend her for that," he said. "She knew my views. But, fortunately for me, I didn't have to ... she chose the way I thought. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't rape."

When a reporter asked Smith to clarify what kind of situation was similar to becoming pregnant from rape, the candidate responded, "Having a baby out of wedlock."

He added, "Put yourself in a father's position. Yes, it is similar."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/27/tom-smith-rape_n_1834234.html

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +546/-14
  • WWGHA Member
What next, calling theft an "involuntary donation"?

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
These people are idiots. So, does he feel that rapists should marry their victims? Or vice versa?

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
These people are idiots. So, does he feel that rapists should marry their victims? Or vice versa?

-Nam

If he does then he is delusional.  8)

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23

-Nam

If he does then he is delusional.  8)

Or a Mooslim
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +268/-31
No need for that part, Jay.  It's in the Christian OT as well.  All he needs to be is Abrahamic.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Tom Smith, GOP Senate Candidate: Pregnancy From Rape Similar To 'Having A Baby Out Of Wedlock'

He added, "Put yourself in a father's position. Yes, it is similar."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/27/tom-smith-rape_n_1834234.html

How this poor man suffered.  Imagine. 

Offline shnozzola

Fortunately, Tom Smith, the latest republican idiot politician, has no chance against quiet thoughtful Robert P. Casey Jr., democratic Senator from Pennsylvania.
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +268/-31
I can't help but wonder how prevalent this stuff is among our Canadian Conservative-party politicians.  They share most positions with contemporary Republicans, but Stephen Harper is very strict about what his underlings are allowed to say in public, so they don't say much.  I wonder how much similar stuff would come out of their mouths if they did?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Im not certain, I will defer to the ladies.... but.... Is that even MORE offensive than "legitimate rape"?
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
Im not certain, I will defer to the ladies.... but.... Is that even MORE offensive than "legitimate rape"?

Saying that a child out of wedlock is as bad as a rape? Its VERY offensive. More so than "legitimate rape?" I'd have to think about it, but yes, I'm inclined in that direction. A child out of wedlock is presumably an act of love. To call that rape is ... I don't even have words to describe what I think of these assholes.  >:(

I know I'm not the only one who is in SHOCK at how absolutely horrifying these idiot's opinions are. It literally makes me cry and fume in equal measure.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated

Saying that a child out of wedlock is as bad as a rape? Its VERY offensive. More so than "legitimate rape?" I'd have to think about it, but yes, I'm inclined in that direction. A child out of wedlock is presumably an act of love. To call that rape is ... I don't even have words to describe what I think of these assholes.  >:(

I know I'm not the only one who is in SHOCK at how absolutely horrifying these idiot's opinions are. It literally makes me cry and fume in equal measure.
well.. not to stir you up more, but...
I believe that the mentality these people who are "pro-life" is this: sex is for reproductive purposes only ( sex has nothing to do with pleasure or pain ) and anytime there is vaginal penetration it is for the production of children regardless the circumstances.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
I think thats something these douchebags will say in order to pander to their base, but never actually believe or practice.

"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
I think thats something these douchebags will say in order to pander to their base, but never actually believe or practice.
the "base" believes it but not the panderer?

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
Can't we just leave the pandas out of this?!?!

Wait...panderer, not pandas. My bad.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
I can't help but wonder how prevalent this stuff is among our Canadian Conservative-party politicians.  They share most positions with contemporary Republicans, but Stephen Harper is very strict about what his underlings are allowed to say in public, so they don't say much.  I wonder how much similar stuff would come out of their mouths if they did?
Do you think they are actually faith based politicians in the Canadian Conservative Government? Has Canada moved away from that in your opinion(faith in politics)? or does Harper have that tight a leash on his members?

As the WASP's (white anglo-saxon protestants) start to become the minorities of Canada and the USA are they(wasp's) starting to grasp at faith based straws as control slips from their fingers?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Left without words, stuffin just shakes his horizontally.
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
Why the fuck would any woman vote Republican?
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +827/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
Why the fuck would any woman human vote Republican? Corrected.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
Why the fuck would any woman vote Republican?

Well, according to a Facebook post I saw today, it's a whole lot better than voting for the Muslim currently in office, because we know Muslims treat their womenfolk waaaay worse.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
the "base" believes it but not the panderer?

The part about sex being only for procreation?  Yeah... generally speaking anyway.  Some of them probably actually buy it, but we certainly see fewer families with 11,12,13 kids nowadays and I dont think people are having significantly less sex.

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Why the f**k would any woman vote Republican?

That's what my wife always concludes.  I think there are too many women who don't want to be independent, they literally prefer to be told what to think by their "men."  Then again, who am I to presume that some of these women give two shits about their fellow women.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
That's what my wife always concludes.  I think there are too many women who don't want to be independent, they literally prefer to be told what to think by their "men."  Then again, who am I to presume that some of these women give two shits about their fellow women.

At some point, even if you agree with the principles the GOP espouses, which are admittedly not all bad.[1] One has to conclude that the underlying offensive that it just isn't worth it.

1. Note I said, espouse not that they bother to actually practice them.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Aspie

• Graduate
  • Darwins +34/-0
Many Republicans are essentially victims of the dogmas they promote. The party's appeal pretty much comes down to the comfortable ideal of maintaining tradition under the pretense that we're currently living in the best of all possible worlds and that something as dangerous as change threatens to overthrow the world's natural order. It is through appealing to the people's sense of security that the GOP keeps such a large following despite the fact that their policies only serve to benefit a powerful few. Whenever something as inconvenient as reality begins to threaten their interests all they have to do is set their propaganda machines into blaring sirens that send their members into panic.

If Obamacare is approved the government is going to start killing off the elderly! America will become a communist nation!

If global warming becomes accepted the liberals will destroy the economy!

If gay marriage becomes acceptable then before you know it so will polygamy, pedophilia, and incest!

If they take our guns away then you'll be left helpless to the violent dregs of society!

If evolution is taught in schools as fact then children will decide that they can do whatever they want thinking that life has no purpose anyway!

If abortion is legalized more women will turn into sluts and more poor babies will die! BABIES!!!

One only needs to take a glance at the Republican noise stations to realize that it's all about the scare tactics. It's basically sessions of the pundits and "news" reporters chanting emotionally-charged buzzwords and phrases over and over (Communist! Muslim! War on religion! Feminazis! Terrorism! The gay agenda! Obama! Liberals! Will destroy America! Hate America!) then dragging "experts" onto stage to agree with everything they just said. The trick is to lay the doom-saying on thick enough to make people feel unsafe while offering solace through the latest in sophisticated Republican policies which are going to make all those scary boogeymen go away.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 12:08:55 AM by Aspie »

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
I remember the biggest come back a Republican had was: get a job!

As a side note, I remember a woman telling Bush jr, "I have 3 jobs." And he replying with, "Good for you.". Though, I think her implication was different than a positive one.

;)

-Nam

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Many Republicans are essentially victims of the dogmas they promote. The party's appeal pretty much comes down to the comfortable ideal of maintaining tradition under the pretense that we're currently living in the best of all possible worlds and that something as dangerous as change threatens to overthrow the world's natural order. It is through appealing to the people's sense of security that the GOP keeps such a large following despite the fact that their policies only serve to benefit a powerful few. Whenever something as inconvenient as reality begins to threaten their interests all they have to do is set their propaganda machines into blaring sirens that send their members into panic.

If Obamacare is approved the government is going to start killing off the elderly! America will become a communist nation!

If global warming becomes accepted the liberals will destroy the economy!

If gay marriage becomes acceptable then before you know it so will polygamy, pedophilia, and incest!

If they take our guns away then you'll be left helpless to the violent dregs of society!

If evolution is taught in schools as fact then children will decide that they can do whatever they want thinking that life has no purpose anyway!

If abortion is legalized more women will turn into sluts and more poor babies will die! BABIES!!!

One only needs to take a glance at the Republican noise stations to realize that it's all about the scare tactics. It's basically sessions of the pundits and "news" reporters chanting emotionally-charged buzzwords and phrases over and over (Communist! Muslim! War on religion! Feminazis! Terrorism! The gay agenda! Obama! Liberals! Will destroy America! Hate America!) then dragging "experts" onto stage to agree with everything they just said. The trick is to lay the doom-saying on thick enough to make people feel unsafe while offering solace through the latest in sophisticated Republican policies which are going to make all those scary boogeymen go away.

The best synopsis of how the Rep Party works I think I have ever heard. The sad part is it works on people.
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline earthfreak

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
this is beyond disturbing, and where I really see the disconnect between me and the sort of conservatives that scare the hell out of me.    This guy really (apparently) doesn't see it as significant that his daughter got pregnant while doing something that probably included having an intimate experience with someone she had great affection for, or at least having fun with someone she probably had some trust for, rather than while being attacked and probably scared out of her mind/scarred for life.    The significant question for him is *not* whether or not she was brutalized, but whether or not she was married (you see the flip side of this as well - it's moral to stay in a marriage with someone who abuses you because, well, it's marriage!)

I mean, really, how do people think like that?

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
I've put together a flowchart to help people like Mr. Akin figure out their part of the decision making process.