Author Topic: The Church of the SubGenius  (Read 564 times)

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
The Church of the SubGenius
« on: July 22, 2012, 01:07:31 AM »
I've been needing to make an opinionated thread on this particular religion. What do you all think about it?

From what I have read about, witnessed, and had a friend from this religion, it's actual teaching is pretty much WTF? Kind of like a huge acid trip. I remembered he mentioned about the founder of the religion J. R. "Bob" Dobbs (a 1950's comic book clip art, not an actual person) teaching that Hell is just like the Christian Hell, except it has the world's largest gift shop! In addition, Bob Dobbs went golfing many times with Jesus Christ when Jesus existed 2,000 years ago aproximately.

Although there are a few people who take this thing seriously, overall, I like the fact that this religion is based off of comedy, being a joke or a satire in essence, but people actually believe in this stuff, but when you check out their actual teachings, it's pretty much "what did I just read?"

Overall, to get an interesting view of the Church, here's the wikipedia articles, and then the official website.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_the_SubGenius

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Dobbs

http://www.subgenius.com/

So, any thoughts, opinions, discussions, experiences on/with this thing? I tend to constantly be in the WTF attitude when I even attempt to look into it.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
Re: The Church of the SubGenius
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 07:52:07 AM »
I bet Jesus gets a hole in one every time...kind of like the past leader of North Korea. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2012, 08:27:31 AM »
I know I'm not supposed to come out and say it, but it is a joke religion like Discordia. It was an in joke amongst punk rock artists in the late 1980s and early 1990s both mocking and adore the weirder side of the 1950s. Particularly intellectual punk rockers who liked acid and scifi. PeeWee Herman is a member of said church.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +533/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2012, 08:04:28 PM »
The Church of Sub-Genius is understood by those who understand. The understanding is understood, or, in the words of Dobbs Himself,
Pity the poor human Earth Pink who comes looking for a SIMPLE, SHORT EXPLANATION of The Church of the SubGenius™, one that he or she can UNDERSTAND QUICKLY. If the Church could provide THAT, it would be bigger than Islam or Christianity by now -- and probably much, much worse.

A True SubGenius, however, understands EVERYTHING, INSTANTLY upon exposure to the Word or even just the Face of Dobbs.
To put it in a parable, "There once was a man who had three goats, but then, don't we all?" I doubt it could be plainer than that, except if there were no goats.

I am please to see that Hatter has seen fit to use the very words that are required by a member of the Church of SubGenius when asked about the church. Denial and deceit is authorised to maintain the Church's mission intact.

I too agree with him and that is all you need to know.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline on:bread:alone

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2012, 08:38:19 PM »
you may also want to look into pastafarianism and the chruch of the flying spaghetti monster.

http://www.venganza.org/

With millions, if not thousands, of devout worshippers, the Church of the FSM is widely considered a legitimate religion, even by its opponents – mostly fundamentalist Christians, who have accepted that our God has larger balls than theirs.

i'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm.

please, check out www.letsgetrational.com

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 03:07:08 PM »
you may also want to look into pastafarianism and the chruch of the flying spaghetti monster.

http://www.venganza.org/

With millions, if not thousands, of devout worshippers, the Church of the FSM is widely considered a legitimate religion, even by its opponents – mostly fundamentalist Christians, who have accepted that our God has larger balls than theirs.

One of my best friends was telling me of that flying spaghetti monster church. Never heard of it until last night. So, with all these "joke" religions about, how do we interpret them? Some members act like it's a legitimate belief, while others just pretty much talk in a mocking manner towards religion itself. If we were to eliminate religion, would these things like SubGenius and FSM churches go with them or because of the fact that they are jokes or serious jokes, they will still have free reign? In addition, do these churches also get legitimate tax breaks like the Christians? If not, then I think the govt. is doing some discrimination then.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 03:18:20 PM »
If we were to eliminate religion, would these things like SubGenius and FSM churches go with them or because of the fact that they are jokes or serious jokes, they will still have free reign?

Inasmuch as they're not "real" religions, the question isn't really meaningful.

In addition, do these churches also get legitimate tax breaks like the Christians? If not, then I think the govt. is doing some discrimination then.

I don't know for certain because I haven't looked into it, but I doubt very much that SubGenius and FSM have gone to the trouble of trying to get the appropriate tax-exempt status from the IRS.  And if they did try, the IRS would probably turn them down because they are obviously satirical in nature.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 06:27:02 AM »

One of my best friends was telling me of that flying spaghetti monster church. Never heard of it until last night. So, with all these "joke" religions about, how do we interpret them? Some members act like it's a legitimate belief, while others just pretty much talk in a mocking manner towards religion itself. If we were to eliminate religion, would these things like SubGenius and FSM churches go with them or because of the fact that they are jokes or serious jokes, they will still have free reign? In addition, do these churches also get legitimate tax breaks like the Christians? If not, then I think the govt. is doing some discrimination then.

several years ago, i became an ordained minister of the universal life church of modesto, CA. i've never been to california, by the way... i did it online. the ordination was free, and for $35 i got an ID card and a CLERGY parking placard and some certificates, should i decide to perform a marriage, eulogy, or baptism... all of which i can legally do. as i understand it, i only need to have five people follow me in order to have a legitimate "congregation," and at that point i can become tax exempt, even insofar as using my home as a "church" and not paying property taxes.

i'm not only an atheist, i'm an anti-theist. i only did this to mock the church, and to point out that their only concern is monetary if they're willing to ordain someone like me. i haven't abused it yet just because i like retaining the higher ground, although i'm considering starting one of those bad-ass raelian sex cults... you know, for fun.

as far as these "joke" religions, i really don't think too many people take them seriously... although there are nutjobs in every little part of the world... but i also think that things like this wouldn't even come up if religion were abolished because there'd be nothing to poke fun at.

and i'm pretty sure they do get tax breaks, but that's just conjecture on my part.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 07:53:58 AM »
So did you find your 5 "marks"...I mean people?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 06:17:26 AM »
sho' nuff.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 07:30:06 AM »
I am a part of the Jedi Order.  Just sayin'.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2012, 06:24:55 AM »

i mean, i'm just throwing this out there... and really, i'm not much of a star wars fan to begin with, but doesn't the jedi order bear some striking resemblances to fundamental christianity? RKH and i actually spoke about this a few times, and when i have more time to kill online, i'll have to start a thread about it. but jetson, you're all darkside man.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2012, 08:19:19 PM »

i mean, i'm just throwing this out there... and really, i'm not much of a star wars fan to begin with, but doesn't the jedi order bear some striking resemblances to fundamental christianity? RKH and i actually spoke about this a few times, and when i have more time to kill online, i'll have to start a thread about it. but jetson, you're all darkside man.

Although I know I made the thread about the SubGenius specifically, I wasn't aware of the Flying Spaghetti Monster or anything else much, so I don't see it as thread straying if you talk about it here. I will however say I have heard some people did take the Jedi faith thing more seriously than the other joke churches mentioned, but I know Jetson knows better than to actually start spewing about believing in "the force" lol.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +533/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2012, 04:22:45 AM »
...I will however say I have heard some people did take the Jedi faith thing more seriously than the other joke churches mentioned, but I know Jetson knows better than to actually start spewing about believing in "the force" lol.
Jedi census phenomenonWiki
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2012, 06:14:17 AM »
I will however say I have heard some people did take the Jedi faith thing more seriously than the other joke churches mentioned

just goes to show you... strength in numbers. create a need for the masses and provide a means to satisfy, and people will believe anything you tell them.