Author Topic: God must love Chick-fil-A  (Read 10642 times)

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Re: God must love Chick-fil-A
« Reply #174 on: August 04, 2012, 05:38:38 PM »
I really wish it was like 30 years from now when this goes the way of segregation and people can feel ashamed of themselves for how they have treated their fellow man... more so I wish it wouldn't take that long, but I am less and less optimistic.
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Timtheskeptic

• Reader
  • Darwins +20/-1
  • atheist and loving it
    • atheist blogspot
« Reply #175 on: August 04, 2012, 05:55:35 PM »
A Christian operated business donating to Christian charities and organizations. And?

They claim these companies are "anti-gay" but guess what? The bible is not gay friendly, and Christians use the bible as their guide book. Sure, some gay people say differently, but they are lying to themselves. The bible is pretty up front with this.

If you want to protest all companies that are not gay friendly, you need to find out which ones are operated by Christians, Muslims, orthodox Jews, or any other related Abrahamic religion. Any people of these religions that are gay friendly are ignoring parts of their religion, so you'd have to determine the viewpoint of every single one.

Me:What are you looking at Eminem?
Brother: Nothing, Harry Potter.

I love to read books, just not your Bible. i support gay rights and women's rights. Why? Because i'm tired of the hate, stupidity, and your desire to control us all and make up lies.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #176 on: August 04, 2012, 05:57:58 PM »
Airyaman,

I think it'd be simpler to just cease going to the ones that are open about their bigotted beliefs than go your route.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Online Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +268/-31
« Reply #177 on: August 04, 2012, 06:17:54 PM »
A Christian operated business donating to Christian charities and organizations. And?

And those charities are doing things that a lot of people find to be heinous.  Hence, a boycott.

They claim these companies are "anti-gay" but guess what? The bible is not gay friendly, and Christians use the bible as their guide book. Sure, some gay people say differently, but they are lying to themselves. The bible is pretty up front with this.

Agreed.  Those Christians who are not anti-gay yet promote the Bible as a source of morality are sending some seriously mixed messages.

If you want to protest all companies that are not gay friendly, you need to find out which ones are operated by Christians, Muslims, orthodox Jews, or any other related Abrahamic religion.  Any people of these religions that are gay friendly are ignoring parts of their religion, so you'd have to determine the viewpoint of every single one.

Perhaps.  And if that were the reason why CFA was the subject of a boycott, then you might have a point.  As it is...
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #178 on: August 04, 2012, 06:20:02 PM »
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #179 on: August 04, 2012, 06:50:13 PM »
I really wish it was like 30 years from now when this goes the way of segregation and people can feel ashamed of themselves for how they have treated their fellow man... more so I wish it wouldn't take that long, but I am less and less optimistic.

Actually I think America is doing a good job of showing the rest of the world what happens when you allow one group of people to actively persecute another group and then dress it up as free speech. I doubt outside of ignorant third world countries that any other country does this so openly. I'm sure you must be thoroughly embarrassed by the whole episode.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #180 on: August 04, 2012, 07:17:21 PM »

Actually I think America is doing a good job of showing the rest of the world what happens when you allow one group of people to actively persecute another group and then dress it up as free speech. I doubt outside of ignorant third world countries that any other country does this so openly. I'm sure you must be thoroughly embarrassed by the whole episode.

It's not America Frank, it's humans who are homophobic.  They are everywhere, sadly. 

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
« Reply #181 on: August 04, 2012, 07:46:00 PM »

It's not America Frank, it's humans who are homophobic.  They are everywhere, sadly.

I'm sure there are. But they don't spend millions setting up organisations with the sole purpose of harassing and making life difficult for gay people.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #182 on: August 04, 2012, 08:40:04 PM »
Frank,

You have evidence that they don't?

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
« Reply #183 on: August 04, 2012, 08:54:34 PM »
Frank,

You have evidence that they don't?

-Nam

I do not have any evidence that they do. I do not know of any major fast food chains or any other industry in this or any other european country, announce that they are anti gay and gives millions to other anti gay organisations for the sole purpose of persecuting gay people. If there are then they are keeping very quiet about it. I'm not actually sure that under the human rights charter all european countries are signed up to that such organisations would be legal.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #184 on: August 04, 2012, 09:01:33 PM »

I'm thoroughly embarrassed by this ordeal and I don't think in this case I can fault you for pointing it out. Typically I think you are bit hard on us Americans. Almost a little trollish. But I think you are right to be so critical in this situation, people should be embarrassed that half or more of this country is still as bigoted as they were during the civil war.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #185 on: August 04, 2012, 09:05:06 PM »
This is my kind of christian ... regardless of our differences in belief, she's practicing kindness, which gains her points in my book. :)

If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #186 on: August 06, 2012, 02:51:48 PM »
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline VOR_voice_of_reason

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #187 on: August 06, 2012, 04:11:44 PM »
I have never been to a Chik-fil-A. It is a fast food place, right? I avoid unhealthy activities which includes fast food and religious bigotry. I can avoid both by staying away from this place. I think it's good that business owners wear their colors on their sleeve. It helps me choose where I will spend money. We should encourage all business leaders to profess their prejudices and their bigoted ideals.

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #188 on: August 06, 2012, 06:07:28 PM »
Once upon a time there were lots of eateries in the south that openly advertised that they were "Whites Only."  Now, even if it weren't for the laws, societal opinion would strongly castigate such behavior. The same will be true for this bigotry. Someday the grandchildren of the hoards that drove to the chick-fil-a appreciation day will be ashamed of their grandparents.
Time is not on the side of bigotry.
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #189 on: August 06, 2012, 06:08:31 PM »
Welcome to the forum VOR. I like your perspective!
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #190 on: August 06, 2012, 09:37:26 PM »
Once upon a time there were lots of eateries in the south that openly advertised that they were "Whites Only."  Now, even if it weren't for the laws, societal opinion would strongly castigate such behavior. The same will be true for this bigotry. Someday the grandchildren of the hoards that drove to the chick-fil-a appreciation day will be ashamed of their grandparents.

Well said, Brakeman. Imagine how the grandchildren of these people feel:

The sign on the top right is especially telling. Its also kinda disturbing how many of them are smiling.
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #191 on: August 07, 2012, 07:40:17 AM »

If you want to protest all companies that are not gay friendly, you need to find out which ones are operated by Christians, Muslims, orthodox Jews, or any other related Abrahamic religion. Any people of these religions that are gay friendly are ignoring parts of their religion, so you'd have to determine the viewpoint of every single one.

Here's a thought, here's one with an outright admitted direct link. I shall start there. When another comes to light, it shall be added to the list. I don't need to determine the viewpoints of every person, despite your haughty demands, I can just slice the obvious assholes out of my life without much difficulty, when those assholes are gone, perhaps then I will take it to the next level.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +825/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #192 on: August 07, 2012, 02:53:40 PM »

Well said, Brakeman. Imagine how the grandchildren of these people feel:

The sign on the top right is especially telling. Its also kinda disturbing how many of them are smiling.

I find the young boy's sign the creepiest.  Imagine what the language is like in his home. He has little hope of being a happy camper after the civil rights movement--he will be one of those complaining about "political correctness" when he gets called out for racist hate speech.  What an awful world view to grow up in. :(
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #193 on: August 07, 2012, 03:09:15 PM »
It should be noted, especially in the south, the Church used Biblical source material to degrade non-whites.

-Nam

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #194 on: August 07, 2012, 03:13:01 PM »
Interesting pic.  So fuddies have been this way for a long time.  They would have loved FOX.....
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #195 on: August 07, 2012, 03:41:14 PM »
The FOX of then is not the same as today. Rupert Murdoch didn't own FOX 'til the early to mud 1980s. Of course the only right-wing conservative Republican viewpoint of FOX is their news affiliation. If one notes: when Avatar came out FOX NOISE cried foul at it 'til someone told them that FOX was the one who produced the film. In a way: they were bashing themselves, unknowingly.

-Nam

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #196 on: August 07, 2012, 03:43:02 PM »
Interesting pic.  So fuddies have been this way for a long time.  They would have loved FOX.....

What do mean would have....look at that picture and remember, statisically speaking, if we chose a 30 year old woman in 1962(I'm guessing the picture is from that year) she's about 80. That's only 9 months over the average lifespan, so about a 48% chance of being alive.

So in all likelihood a fair number of them are around....and loving Fox.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #197 on: August 07, 2012, 03:51:05 PM »
Or, some have switched to not being what they were. Time can change peoples minds.

-Nam

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #198 on: August 07, 2012, 04:46:33 PM »
a few of us were discussing this at work today. I know one is a christian, the other lady I dont know but she was defending the chicken dudes freedom of speech then there's me. And I can honestly say the christian did something I havent seen from christians. After she gave me her whole "i believe marriage is between a man and a woman....bible" speech I sincerely asked her how she deals with verses in the bible pertaining to and condoning slavery. She didnt have an answer, then I told her I know she doesnt agree with it (she's black as well), then I said she could use the same reasoning she uses to dismiss the slavery thing in the bible to dismiss her definition of marriage. She was kinda quiet for some moments and then told me I make a valid point. Sensing the small victory I left it at that.

See I still have faith in people (but this faith isnt blind).

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #199 on: August 07, 2012, 05:31:06 PM »
It should be noted, especially in the south, the Church used Biblical source material to degrade non-whites.

-Nam

Yes, very much so. Americans are taught a glossy version of their own history. The Civil was was an outright religious war, with the Northern Baptists, Quakers and Presbyterians on the anti slavery side and the Southern, and Primitive Baptists, Lutherans, and Methodists on the Pro-slavery side. I've forgotten which side the Catholics were on, if they took a side. The war was over differing interpretations of the bible on slavery.
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
« Reply #200 on: August 07, 2012, 07:29:38 PM »
Brakeman,

Where there may be truth in that, the South, in some sense, fought for slavery 'cause the North was prosperous as an industrializion and, in many parts, the South depended on the North because of that. Much of the South was rural and dealt mainly in farming, and the slaves were a "commodity" that they felt they couldn't let go of and not be beholding to the North. History does show after the war ended that the South, without slavery, became overly dependant on the North. And much of the South was not for Reconstruction.

This is not to say that religion and slavery as a whole didn't have their roles; also expansion of the West played a part, if the Confederacy won the war, it would've been more likely they may have had control of that region, and the North couldn't allow that. The only people, I feel, who were fighting for religion/slavery were those who owned slaves; everyone else, most likely, were fighting for their homes, and their way of life which they believed (mainly through propaganda) the North wanted to take away from them.

In Southern states today, I feel that still holds true for many.

-Nam

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +30/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #201 on: August 07, 2012, 07:31:41 PM »
   America, like most if not all countries, was built on slavery and genocide.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2012, 09:08:16 PM by mrbiscoop »
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #202 on: August 07, 2012, 07:36:25 PM »

-Nam

Yes, very much so. Americans are taught a glossy version of their own history. The Civil was was an outright religious war, with the Northern Baptists, Quakers and Presbyterians on the anti slavery side and the Southern, and Primitive Baptists, Lutherans, and Methodists on the Pro-slavery side. I've forgotten which side the Catholics were on, if they took a side. The war was over differing interpretations of the bible on slavery.
They were using the distraction of the others fighting between each other to rape and murder children....I hope nobody takes that as a JOKE,because I am dead serious
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)