Author Topic: God must love Chick-fil-A  (Read 11470 times)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: God must love Chick-fil-A
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2012, 11:06:58 AM »
I think that the only closeted homosexuals that can be counted as part of the problem are those who are closeted but vocally oppose homosexually.

I have a 1st cousin who didn't come out of the closet 'til he was 24 but his mother works for the Southern Baptist Convention, so, I think he was afraid of coming out based on that. Though, from my understanding: he came out to his sister when he was a teenager.

-Nam
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:09:45 AM by Nam »
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2012, 12:10:02 PM »
...IMO it's not a matter of free speech. I was debating one of my friends all night last night and this was something he couldn't understand. I'm sure some people out there are all up in arms over what the CEO said. I'm not. You would have to be living under a rock to not know Chick-fil-A was a religious company with Christian values. What really shocked me was following the money trail of their donations. That was what I found so appalling. Yes the CEO's speech is what brought my attention to the anti-gay agendas but the root of my concern wasn't the speech itself. It amazes me how the masses don't either know this story or don't believe it to be true...

Agreed. Here is a site that details some of the "charities" that chik-fil-a supports.

http://equalitymatters.org/factcheck/201111010001
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2012, 12:26:12 PM »
Agreed. Here is a site that details some of the "charities" that chik-fil-a supports.

http://equalitymatters.org/factcheck/201111010001

Thanks to some sources Quesi gave me I read all about those last night. I was more appalled the more I read. I think this whole situation is pushing me more and more towards the side of anti-theism. I've resisted that stance for a really long time because I'm also pro-tolerance but the level of delusion and stupidity[1] is becoming intolerable.
 1. I say this loosely, these people aren't really "stupid" in the other 99% of their lives.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #119 on: August 02, 2012, 02:05:00 PM »
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #120 on: August 02, 2012, 02:13:31 PM »
::National Face Palm::

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #121 on: August 02, 2012, 02:19:41 PM »
Apparently the bigoted assholes had a record setting day.

http://slatest.slate.com/posts/2012/08/01/chick_fil_a_appreciation_day_huckabee_conservative_americans_to_support_chicken_chain_s_anti_lgbt_views_.html

I'm ashamed of my country.

With this level of political discourse I'm not surprised. Have you any idea how dumb this whole thing sounds? The Chick-fil-A people must be made up with all this free publicity. Colonel Sanders must be kicking himself.

Seems like quite a few chicken-loving, same-sex marriage foes turned out for Wednesday's Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day

Gay rights supporters, meanwhile, are still gearing up for what they're calling "National Same-Sex Kiss Day at Chick-fil-A" on Friday, a name that pretty much explains it all. "Let's show Chick-fil-A thanks for their support of Love, Equality, and the Real Definition of Marriage! Invite your friends!"
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #122 on: August 02, 2012, 02:25:17 PM »
Perhaps some straight people should attend in support of "kiss day" by kissing the same sex. Perhaps not as passionatly, though. I'd do it.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #123 on: August 02, 2012, 02:28:42 PM »
Perhaps some straight people should attend in support of "kiss day" by kissing the same sex. Perhaps not as passionatly, though. I'd do it.

-Nam

Maybe they'll just close or have the police toss anyone out who start kissing each other. Then again maybe conservatives will turn out and fill outlets up to stop gay people getting in.

"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #124 on: August 02, 2012, 02:39:53 PM »

-Nam

I'm not going on that day. I don't believe it's constructive to the cause for me to go kiss a girl when I'm straight. I did donate to GLAAD yesterday to show my support.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #125 on: August 02, 2012, 02:45:41 PM »
Well, it'd add to the numbers. I mean, seeing a few do it in each place probably wouldn't have much effect especially in the more rural areas.

-Nam

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #126 on: August 02, 2012, 03:00:32 PM »

-Nam

The thought crossed my mind, but then I remembered we dont have a CFA locally.  And I would be lying if I said kissing a buddy would be easy... grab his ass sure, but kissing would be a little rough.  :)
"If we look back into history for the character of the present sects in Christianity, we shall find few that have not in their turns been persecutors, and complainers of persecution."

-Benjamin Franklin

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #127 on: August 02, 2012, 03:04:15 PM »
Nam,

TN is weird. I read that my home town is considered the 8th "Gayest" city in America... I didn't take the time to research it but we do have a major college and a lively party town. I guess it's entirely possible, but who are we kidding?!? This is the middle of the bible belt, these people around here were lined up all the way around the CFA store yesterday! It's insane how many bigots are around here. IDK I guess I'm not "confrontational" enough to protest. I'm still not even fully out of the "atheist closet".

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #128 on: August 02, 2012, 03:05:18 PM »
grab his ass sure, but kissing would be a little rough.  :)

Are you an ex jock?  ;)

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #129 on: August 02, 2012, 03:17:32 PM »
Nam,

TN is weird. I read that my home town is considered the 8th "Gayest" city in America... I didn't take the time to research it but we do have a major college and a lively party town. I guess it's entirely possible, but who are we kidding?!? This is the middle of the bible belt, these people around here were lined up all the way around the CFA store yesterday! It's insane how many bigots are around here. IDK I guess I'm not "confrontational" enough to protest. I'm still not even fully out of the "atheist closet".

And that's one of the main methods on how they win, especially in rural areas: fear, and offerings of violence toward those who oppose them.

I was born in the bible-belt, lived there for a few years. Never let any of them push me around. Perhaps I'm different, my height and size, the fact I'm a guy, who knows. Perhaps it's none of those things. But there are more of us than them in the grand scheme of things yet they always seem to rise victorious. Why? 'Cause we take more peaceful approaches, and they do not.

-Nam

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #130 on: August 02, 2012, 03:20:28 PM »

Are you an ex jock?  ;)

I wondered that, too. I don't go around grabbing guys asses as if it were no big deal. And I used to play all sorts of sports in the past.

-Nam

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +663/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #131 on: August 02, 2012, 03:22:53 PM »
... grab his ass sure, but kissing would be a little rough.  :)

is a happy ending out of the question?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #132 on: August 02, 2012, 03:29:25 PM »
I like happy endings.

;)

-Nam

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #133 on: August 02, 2012, 03:48:46 PM »
Why? 'Cause we take more peaceful approaches, and they do not.

-Nam

More than likely. I'm not sure I'm prepared to make a change in my aggressiveness though. I'm getting old now... My priorities tend to focus around my family and anything that has a potential for violence or jail, even if it's a noble cause, is out of the question for me. Picketing/protesting is just not something I'm prepared to accept the potential consequences of.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #134 on: August 02, 2012, 04:34:41 PM »
^again: why they win.

-Nam

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #135 on: August 02, 2012, 04:41:23 PM »
IDK if it really is a win. I still donated money to a charity, they can use my money to fund a more organized and progressive campaign than I could personally do (even I decided to).

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #136 on: August 02, 2012, 04:49:06 PM »
Charities are fine. I am sure they do a good deal towards better acceptance. But when you have people in society able to do something in the "front lines" they would rather stay home for selfish reasons, no matter the reasons. Now, perhaps these reasons are founded on good principle but too many people take that road.

Politically: Democrats outnumber Republicans but for selfish reasons many of them stay home rather than vote. Or vote for a person who doesn't have or care for their viewpoints in any way.

Same thing.

We outnumber them but they always seem to stay in power politically, and otherwise.

-Nam

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #137 on: August 02, 2012, 05:06:16 PM »
But when you have people in society able to do something in the "front lines" they would rather stay home for selfish reasons, no matter the reasons.

So going all "Katy Perry"[1] on CFA would do more good than donating to a charity? Seems rather subjective doesn't it?
 1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAp9BKosZXs

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #138 on: August 02, 2012, 05:27:42 PM »
Even the lesser of us can do our small part on the "front lines". As a whole: it can make a difference. Donating to charities in support of such causes, I am not belittling. Making excuses for why to not fight in person: I am.

Protesting on the day that all those anti-gay marriage went to support the restaurant, going there and protesting is being on the front lines. Did anyone here do that?

-Nam
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 05:29:13 PM by Nam »

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2012, 06:05:53 PM »
Online petitions have helped stop several companies from doing things their consumers didn't like. Public pressure via social networking seems to be the new "it" factor. I don't know the overall success[1] of this movement but I've seen several things on Change.Org[2] that had companies changing their ways.

The problem with the CFA issue is that we don't out number them. I don't even really think it's a close race. There are people in the gay community who enjoy their chicken more than they value protecting their own civil rights. I don't fault them but it just pads the stats when we have people who will continue to eat there no matter what their sexual orientation or religious belief is.

It's sad that food that is fast, convenient, and terrible for you can make people accept that their own civil liberties are being hindered by the company mass producing this food. For example one of my fiance's superiors is a lesbian. She said she didn't really care who CFA donated to that she liked their food enough to ignore it. I'm sure there are many more like her. 

I don't think standing in front of the store kissing a girl will accomplish anything. It would be a cute default photo for Facebook for a day or two until the smoke clears and it's back to business as usual. I'd rather give my money to people who can orchestrate a larger campaign that will have more success than happy feelings for a day or two on Facebook. I'm just saying, we all value our contributions differently. If anyone wants to post pics of themselves making out with the same sex tomorrow I will gladly share it on Facebook to get a few likes and the random "WTG" from someone I never talk to IRL any ways.
 1. SOPA being the most successful movement to my knowledge.
 2. Just one example, there are many.

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #140 on: August 02, 2012, 06:22:54 PM »

Are you an ex jock?  ;)

I wondered that, too. I don't go around grabbing guys asses as if it were no big deal. And I used to play all sorts of sports in the past.

-Nam

Played a little football in HS, but wouldn't consider myself a "jock" by any stretch of the imagination.  Just a buddy of mine that have known eachother pretty much since birth, hes like my brother.  We like to act mock-gay every once in a while if for no other reason than to make our wives (female btw. lol) roll their eyes... good times.

I am reminded of an R Lee Ermey quote from Full Metal Jacket, but you guys dont know me well enough yet to bust that gem out of my memory.

-Benjamin Franklin

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2012, 07:21:23 PM »
Kimberly,

The suggestion I made was more humorous than serious. I wasn't expecting straight people to go that far when other avenues are presented to them. However, the only places in the U.S. where those who are against gay marriage would be in the most conservative of states, notin the most liberal nor moderate ones.

Yes, the social network most likely has a far more reach than a offline approach but this doesn't mean offline approaches do not have their own grandstands. However, the internet allows anonimoty, which isn't always a good thing.

Garja,

R. Lee Ermey rules "You can give your heart to Jesus but your ass belongs to the Corp!" [might be paraphrasing; memory is fickle]

-Nam

Offline Garja

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +38/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #142 on: August 02, 2012, 08:46:58 PM »
K
Garja,

R. Lee Ermey rules "You can give your heart to Jesus but your ass belongs to the Corp!" [might be paraphrasing; memory is fickle]

-Nam

Thats one, but not the one I was thinking about.... Mine was more along the lines of what comes from Texas.  ;)

-Benjamin Franklin

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +313/-84
« Reply #143 on: August 02, 2012, 09:08:14 PM »
There's been variants of that in films over the years:

Drill Sergeant: Where you from, boy?
Private: Texas, Sergeant!"
Sergeant: Texas? The only thing I know from Texas are "steers" and "queers". You don't look like a steer, so are you a queer, boy?

-Nam

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #144 on: August 03, 2012, 10:51:38 AM »
I just watched this:

Original Source: Huffington Post

Nam,
Since you may not be able to watch the video or click the link I copied the transcript from the article for you:

Smith: "You know why I'm getting my free water, right?"
Worker: "No."
S: "Because Chick-Fil-A is a hateful corporation."
W: "I disagree. We don't treat any of our customers differently.."
S: "I know, but the corporation gives money to hate groups. Hate groups. Just because people want to kiss another guy."
W: "I'm staying neutral on this subject... my personal beliefs don't belong in the workplace."
S: "Yeah I believe that too, I don't believe corporations should be giving money to hateful groups.. I'll take my water"
W: "I'm really uncomfortable that you're videotaping this.."
W: "It's my pleasure to serve you, always."
S: "Oh of course, I'm glad that I can take a little bit of money from Chick-Fil-A, and maybe less money to hate groups."
W: "Well we're always happy to serve all our guests."
S: "I don't know how you live with yourself and work here. I don't understand it. This is a horrible corporation with horrible values. You deserve better."
W: "I hope you have a really nice day, and.."
S: "I will, I just did something really good, I feel purposeful, thank you so much."
S: "Have a good day... I'm a nice guy by the way, and I'm totally heterosexual.. not a gay [unintelligible] in me, I just can't stand the hate, you know? It's gotta stop, guys. Stand up."

This is OPPOSITE of how people should be responding to this. That poor girl didn't deserve to be treated like that. It looks like she is going to cry at any moment. I can't believe someone would hurt an innocent person like that. Kudos to her for her PR response. I would have told the guy to fuck off. Not really but I would have been tempted to.