Author Topic: God must love Chick-fil-A  (Read 12127 times)

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
Re: God must love Chick-fil-A
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2012, 04:26:14 PM »
Someone needs to start an event for the same day asking people to not eat there! Surely 80K people can resist the sweet juicy taste of Chick-fil-A!
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +896/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2012, 05:17:12 PM »
Mike Huckabee wants everyone to eat at Chick-fil-A on August 1!
Mike Huckabee Calls For National 'Chick-Fil-A Appreciation Day'

Mike Huckabee, the former governor of Arkansas and Fox News host, has had enough of what he called the "vicious hate speech and intolerant bigotry" aimed at Chick-fil-A.

On his Facebook page, Huckabee announced that Aug. 1 will be "Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day," a day on which he is encouraging people to patronize the fast food chain.
So far, more than 80,000 people have signed up to participate in the event.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/24/mike-huckabee-chick-fil-a-appreciation-day_n_1696648.html

Wasn't he telling everyone to eat healthier a while back? He lost a lot of weight, IIRC.

You can lose weight and support gay rights. Or you can pig out at this place and guarantee that no self-respecting gay person will ever get near you. :P
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-31
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2012, 07:22:43 PM »
Is it just me, or is "Chick-fil-A" the stupidest name for a business in the history of the universe?

It's dumb, but it has a lot of competition.  London, Ontario had - until last year - a fast-food restaurant named "Blimpy's".

Because when you're selling greasy, fatty food to university students, it pays to make them think about being blimpy.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2012, 08:30:26 PM »
Chick-Fil-A Recalling Jim Henson Kids' Meal Toys As Partnership Severed Over Anti-Gay Donations
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/24/chick-fil-a-jim-henson-toy-recall-gay_n_1699597.html

From the comments section:
Clever wording used to insinuate without technically lying. They stated it's a voluntary recall based on something that cannot be proven nor disproven.

Still, it's subterfuge and deceit, which I pretty much think falls into the "S" file.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2012, 09:16:08 PM »
Wow, that's really stooping to a new all-time low on Chick-fil-a's part.  >:(
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2012, 09:49:26 PM »
Anybody remember this question from Nodak in a thread a while back?

As a disclaimer, i am the sole owner of a corporation that you guys so despise and think are the ruin of America. I provide jobs, service, wealth, and the extra strain on my business for the welfare state you think you are entitled to, could make it go away.  Funny, i treat my employees well and they make the business even more profitable......most successful business operate that way. You don't survive long if you don't. When you say "corporations" what and who do you actually mean? Can you name 5 that do all the evils that you say and are still successful?

I responded by naming a few corporations that are on my radar in terms of doing evil things and continuing to be successful.   http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,22905.msg514529.html#msg514529

But the next time I am asked a question about evil, successful corporations, Chick-Fil-A will be high on my list.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #35 on: July 24, 2012, 10:28:49 PM »
Wow, that's really stooping to a new all-time low on Chick-fil-a's part.  >:(
Are you surprised?  They have FOX on their side which means all the dirty tricks in the book.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2012, 07:39:58 AM »
I responded by naming a few corporations that are on my radar in terms of doing evil things...

Have you seen the documentary "The Corporation"? 

It is an uphill battle for corporations to not be evil.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +377/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2012, 05:49:07 PM »
I suspect many of you are aware of this already, but just in case:

National Same Sex Kiss Day at Chick-Fil-A:

https://www.facebook.com/events/444598242237116
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Sniomhaiche

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Carfree 4 years & counting
What schools need is a moment of Science.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2012, 06:18:49 PM »
jd

Did you see this one?

https://www.facebook.com/events/400804533315699/

Sounds like a great idea to me!

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +377/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2012, 06:22:34 PM »
jd

Did you see this one?

https://www.facebook.com/events/400804533315699/

Sounds like a great idea to me!

Did not see that one.  Coolcoolcool.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2012, 06:24:02 PM »
I found it in the comments of the one you posted. So TY.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2012, 06:46:28 PM »
Social networking is a beautiful thing.  In another era, it would have warranted a sentence or two on the 6 o'clock news.  Maybe a couple of paragraphs on page 7 of the paper. 

But I don't know anyone who isn't talking about it now. 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2012, 05:24:21 PM »
The VP of public relations for Chic-Fil-A died today of a heart attack.  Maybe he ate too many chic-fil-a sands over the years.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +896/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2012, 05:33:06 PM »
God's will. Maybe he doesn't really hate fags after all.  :angel:
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #45 on: July 27, 2012, 07:12:15 PM »
If there's a boycott, they certainly aren't noticing it, minivans and pickup trucks lined up round the block when I passed one today.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #46 on: July 27, 2012, 07:42:59 PM »
I was out and about today... I'm saddened by what I saw today. I work for an manufacture, our corporation openly supports gay marriage. However, on my way home I say a disturbing LED display. One of our local mom and pop dealer's LED display said, "We support Chick-Fil-A". I had once thought about getting a summer job at this location. Mostly just to understand the sales side of our business. (I've never done retail.) I guess I'm glad I never pursued that job.

In related new's did anyone see this:

JC Penny's is also pretty cool:

JCP's spokeswoman is Ellen. We are still getting closer to equality than I ever thought would be possible. These may be small victories, but combined it's pretty amazing to witness.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #47 on: July 27, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »
The VP of public relations for Chic-Fil-A died today of a heart attack.  Maybe he ate too many chic-fil-a sands over the years.
[/quote/]
Here's the link:http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-chick-fil-a-20120728,0,765557.story
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #48 on: July 27, 2012, 08:52:15 PM »
^That's sad, I bet it was the massive stress. The CEO should be ashamed of bringing this on the company. If I were the PR guy's wife I'd be livid.  :'(

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2012, 02:26:10 AM »
Surely Chik-Fil-A knew that at least some of their customers were GLBT.  To take their money at the till, then turn around and spend some of that money to try to sabotage those customers' struggle for equal rights in marriage?  Unforgivable.  This is clearly a crime against the spirit of hospitality, akin to inviting someone to your table to mock them before your other guests.

I expect, and eagerly await, the bankruptcy of CFA.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2012, 07:53:26 AM »

Heart attack! I heard that he was taken up to heaven in a whirlwind just like Elijah. God and Jeebus both threw themselves at his feet because he had helped the republican cause so much. 
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2012, 10:01:16 AM »

One of my facebook friends, who is a pastor, (and someone I really like and respect) posted: 

I guess the Lord wanted to talk to him about same sex marriage.
before linking an article about his death. 

Later, in the comment section, he wrote: 

He's my age so I hesitated about this post. But his legacy is a wasted life.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2012, 12:38:22 PM »

I expect, and eagerly await, the bankruptcy of CFA.

I think you'll be waiting a very long time. I doubt anyone ever went bankrupt selling fried chicken to Americans. GLTB people make up a tiny percentage of the population so unless they can get a very large percentage of the heterosexual majority to boycott then the chances of success are very small. Besides bankrupting them would only lead to a lot of people losing their jobs. People who need the work and are not anti gay at all. All GLTB people really want is to get them to recognise that this kind of attitude is completely out of place in this day and age.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2012, 12:45:49 PM »
That's true.  Have you seen the size of Americans lately.  They (we) did not get that way eating brussell sprouts.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-31
« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2012, 04:33:07 PM »
One of my facebook friends, who is a pastor, (and someone I really like and respect) posted:  <snip>

Glad he said that, Quesi.  But I've been asking something lately about my supposedly liberal Christian friends, and it bears application here.  Does he use the same Holy Bible?  Does he stroke out or annotate the parts about homosexuals being abominations unto the Lord, to be stoned to death?  Does he support printing more Holy Bibles that preach condemnation and death to gays, rather than edited versions that do not?

If he's like anyone else I've asked about this, the answers are "yes, no, and yes" respectively.  So how serious is he?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2012, 05:33:55 PM »
If Christians were all on the same page as their "Holy Bible" then they would all be like Fred Phellips.

And I wonder why he has not gotten in on this. Picketing the picketers at a Chic-Fil-A would seem to be right up his alley.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 05:35:26 PM by Nick »

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2012, 05:41:19 PM »
One of my facebook friends, who is a pastor, (and someone I really like and respect) posted:  <snip>

Glad he said that, Quesi.  But I've been asking something lately about my supposedly liberal Christian friends, and it bears application here.  Does he use the same Holy Bible?  Does he stroke out or annotate the parts about homosexuals being abominations unto the Lord, to be stoned to death?  Does he support printing more Holy Bibles that preach condemnation and death to gays, rather than edited versions that do not?

If he's like anyone else I've asked about this, the answers are "yes, no, and yes" respectively.  So how serious is he?

He cherry picks. Just like everyone else.  He picks the parts that he likes, and I have no idea how he justifies everything else. 

But he lives a life that I respect.  He champions local campaigns to get low income kids into after school programs and summer camps for free.  The first weekend that gay/lesbian marriages became legal in NY, he offered up his services as a pastor to perform free ceremonies for couple who wanted to get married, and he I know he attended a small rally to bring attention to some recent attacks against transgendered people in the community.  He has strong working relationships with both the Muslim and the Jewish community in the neighborhood, and when he talks about diversity of belief systems in the community, he always includes a reference to "non believers."  He raised his children in a household that was always populated by recently arrived refugees who needed support. 

I like the guy.  My life overlaps with his on both a personal and professional level quite frequently, and I count him among my personal friends and professional allies. 

I don't pretend to know how he justifies so many parts of the bible that he preaches, that contradict the work that he dedicates himself to.  But for me,, his work and his lifestyle are so much more important than his belief in some ancient stories.