Author Topic: On the road again  (Read 721 times)

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
On the road again
« on: July 11, 2012, 09:09:58 PM »
Some of you may or may not know that I have undertaken a career change. I received my CDL in April and drive OTR hauling cars. So, I have been wanting to keep a little journal of sorts to document my travels since my memory is fricking pathetic and I can't remember where I was two days ago, but I am also not very organized so I thought I would just make a little thread here since I do try to visit WWGHA at least once a day.

I am currently sitting at a tiny little truck stop in Asbury, WV at the intersection of I-64 E and Rt 12. It is finally cool enough outside to turn the engine off and roll the windows down for a comfortable sleep instead of leaving my motor idling for the AC.

But as my luck goes, I find myself now wedged between two livestock trailers. The stench is amazing. So, I am tempted to start the truck, roll up the windows and kick on the AC...but I shall wait a while to see if I become acclimated to the smell before I do that.

Saw a car flipped upside down on the other side of the highway in Kentucky. Poor bastards.

I have already seen some pretty interesting things but so far the most bizarre site I have witnessed was Amish people driving....motorized vehicles. One was a woman driving a car and the other two looked like a father and son hauling a livestock trailer at a truck stop.  Did not see that one coming.

I think of you guys while I'm driving and sometimes think how neat it would be to actually meet some of you face to face. Don't laugh...it could happen. Maybe.

Anyway, I am going to call my wife and say good night.

*sigh*
I miss my kids  :(

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +50/-0
Re: On the road again
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 11:37:02 PM »
Thanks for the update Mr. B.

You're a trucker. Very cool. Personally, I find what you are doing a fascinating job. The load on your hulling makes you an unsung hero. Good luck and be safe. I've got a lot of appreciation for you.

I have since taken a career change, meaning I have been let go of my former job because the owner is an idiot and can't handle money and had to give the axe to some people, one of which is me. I've always been fascinated with truck drivers (thanks to Lisa Kelly of Ice Road Truckers (and the whole show in general), )and I've been considering the opportunity of becoming one, but it may or may not happen.

Again, be safe out there!

-Em
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 11:41:04 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 08:57:43 AM »
I have already seen some pretty interesting things but so far the most bizarre site I have witnessed was Amish people driving....motorized vehicles. One was a woman driving a car and the other two looked like a father and son hauling a livestock trailer at a truck stop.  Did not see that one coming.

Now if they were driving what makes you sure they were Amish? Was it a bumper sticker? Too bad you didn't take pictures! If you're going to document your adventures you gotta take pictures! So I did a google search and found something to compensate for your lack of a picture in this thread.

IDK if these people are Amish or not but can you imagine being at that drive through?!?!

Enjoy your adventures Mr B. Thanks for sharing your story with us.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +546/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 02:31:37 PM »
They are far from Amish - no beards
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 04:47:40 PM »
Maybe recent deconverties?  :o

Offline eye over you

• Student
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2012, 04:05:02 PM »
     I will be very interested in any updates to this thread for sure. My brother and I are going to start team driving on a route from California to Florida soon. We start trucking school next week. It will be harder on him that it will be for me. I never married and have no kids to miss. I will miss my cats, but my mom will be taking care of them. My brother is married and has two kids.
     I know there will be some adventures for sure. Some positives and negatives just like everything else in the world. I'm kind of excited about it. I hope it doesn't get old too fast. I used to be a tow truck driver years ago. That's the only driving job I've ever had. I have been a union electrician for the last 8 yrs., but that isn't cutting it here in Vegas anymore. I have friends that have gone to North Dakota and Afghanistan to work.... I'm going to try driving for awhile.
     Best of luck to you in you're travels, Mr. Blackwell!!!
Don't let your mouth write checks that your ass can't cash.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2012, 05:15:38 PM »
How would you like to be the next in line. >:(
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2012, 03:03:50 PM »

IIRC Amish are may only shave until they are married, and most do shave until they are married as a quick sign of "I'm available"

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-7
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2012, 03:18:01 PM »

What you saw were likely Mennonites or Beachy Amish. They are kind of like "reformed Jewish" of the Amish world. They may own vehicles, but the vehicles are generally for work use and are to be strictly perfunctory...no flashy trim. AFAIK, the order of Amish, in rank of conservativism is; (1)Old Order Amish (2) New Order Amish (3) Beachy Amish-Mennonite (4)Mennonite.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2012, 08:59:43 PM »
Cheezus, I didn't realize there had been any further responses...my apologies.

Maybe recent deconverties?  :o

Or victims of Sam Mullet maybe  :-\

What you saw were likely Mennonites or Beachy Amish. They are kind of like "reformed Jewish" of the Amish world. They may own vehicles, but the vehicles are generally for work use and are to be strictly perfunctory...no flashy trim. AFAIK, the order of Amish, in rank of conservativism is; (1)Old Order Amish (2) New Order Amish (3) Beachy Amish-Mennonite (4)Mennonite.

Thank you for that lil tid bit. Makes perfect sense seeing that the two fellows were hauling livestock. The woman may or may not have been an employee of a historical museum of sorts.

How would you like to be the next in line. >:(

Took me a full minute to figure out what you were talking about and I must say that being next in that line would put me off my lunch  :P

Best of luck to you in you're travels, Mr. Blackwell!!!

And to you as well! My brother has been doing this for about 10 years now. He will become an owner/operator next month and we have discussed driving tandem. You will definitely see some great stuff.

First time I saw the Rocky Mountain range was a spiritual moment for me. It looked like a tidal wave washing over the plains. Bryson, MO is a neat little town and the Ozarks are beautiful as well.

One of the other mind blowing things I see from time to time is wind turbine blades and tower sections being hauled down the road. Seriously, those blades are huge and hauled in one piece. Your average trailer is what...53 ft? The blades I've seen rolling down the road and pulling into truck stops are about 3x the length of your average tractor trailer.

see here

Also, hope you have nerves of steel and low levels of road rage because there is a whole plethora of assholes and idiots driving our great interstates...and, the construction...never...stops.

I am currently sitting in a rest stop somewhere near Lebanon, IN off of I-65 south bound heading towards Panama City, FL. From there I will be heading to North Carolina and stopping off at the house for my youngest daughters second birthday.

P.S.
If I have to rewire and patch up my pig tail one more time I'm gonna have to just shoot somebody.

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-7
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2012, 07:42:43 AM »

Thank you for that lil tid bit. Makes perfect sense seeing that the two fellows were hauling livestock. The woman may or may not have been an employee of a historical museum of sorts.

or, again from observation of seeing the same; a Mennonite who was running chores for her community(picking up medication, spare parts and the like) or going to work at one of their cheese shops, the trunk could have been full of coolers filled with cheese.

The thing is you have to realize about the Amish, they do not see technology as inhereintly bad.  The veiw something that speeds up life to disconnect one with the rythym of the seasons as bad. They view technology that would encourage sloth as bad. They view technology that would increase reliance on the "English" (their term for the non-amish...consider it the equivalent of Infidel/Goi/heathen) as bad. AFAIK, if they could make a car and power it without using one thing made outside of the Amish community, it probably would be allowed...as long as it was used for only practical purposes.

A bizarre comprime, that technology has leapfrogged, was about telephones. Telephones were kept in a community private outbuilding for emergency use as the entering of a phone line into the home was to allow the "English" direct access...but the need for Doctor, Vetenarians, Fire emergency and the like was not a matter of sloth or pride. With the advent of cell phones, the cell phone waves are already permeating their homes....they can't do anything about it, so cell phones are allowed....as long as they are used for only business...no socializing permitted. That they allow this, even though it isn't technology they can't make, is beyond me.

« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 07:45:59 AM by Hatter23 »

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2012, 08:35:43 AM »
I use minnonites when I go fishing. ;D
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2012, 09:32:14 PM »
Thanks again Hatter. Who knows what I actually saw at this point? Not me, that's for sure.

I've never had much interest in the Amish, other than mild curiosity. I watched Kingpin once.

I am currently sitting at a truck stop in  Canton, Alabama, where I just bought some girly stick on tatoos for my two eldest daughters. I asked the gal at the register if she thought they would beef up my image.

I'll be getting up around 4:00 am ct and drive on to Panama City, Fl.

I went to Panama Beach once, as a teen, on a youth mission trip with my church. A friend brought a carton of cigarettes and an ounce of shwag. Good times. I remember getting separated from everyone in my group and finding myself at an arcade. I never made it inside, I was so stoned and it was so hot that I just curled up and passed out beside the door....meh.

I will be going to Pensacola and Destin to pick up my next two loads going to NY.

One is a 1954 Packard...I love hauling classic cars :)

After NY I will be heading to Houston Texas.

I look forward to stopping off at the house in between for my daughter's birthday!

Offline eye over you

• Student
  • Darwins +7/-0
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2012, 09:53:34 PM »

Also, hope you have nerves of steel and low levels of road rage because there is a whole plethora of assholes and idiots driving our great interstates...and, the construction...never...stops.

I am pretty patient. My brother is one those people who gets aggravated and curses at people in traffic (not out the window at them, at least). I told him he's going to have to mellow out on that if this is going to work.
    I know what you are saying with road construction. It's everywhere here in Las Vegas and to my surprise, when I went to Elko, NV not long ago, up there too. That trade seems to be doing pretty well.

One of my biggest concerns about this whole undertaking is what it will do to my diet and exercise habits. I actually don't care for eating out much. I like the food I cook for myself. I am used to running 3 miles and weight training at least 5 days a week. I'm sure I will figure something out to fit exercise in when I get a chance. Gotta pay bills so I'll work it all out one way or another.

Happy trails!!
Don't let your mouth write checks that your ass can't cash.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2012, 10:45:40 PM »
Crossed over Negro Mountain in West Virginia today.

Can you imagine?

Shaniqwa: So, where you from?
David:  I'd rather not say...I'm sure you've never heard of it.
Shaniqwa: Oh come on, you can tell me...I won't laugh :)
David:  Okay...promise you wont laugh or judge me?
Shaniqwa:  *laughs* I promise
David:  Negro Mountain
shaniqwa:  -_-

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 12:44:30 PM »
I took the written test for the CDL. I memorized the entire book, and passed with a 98% on the written. I couldn't obtain a truck to do the driving aspect, so never got the license.[1] I don't like driving big vehicles, anway, I found. But it does sound fun, still.

-Nam
 1. didn't do it through a trucking school
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2012, 05:30:11 PM »
Latest development update. Now bear in mind that at the beginning, in Feburary, I loaned him $4000 dollars to help buy equipment. He promised to pay me back within 45 days because that was how long it took paper work to clear thru Edwards Jones. He claims business hasn't been making enough money to sustain operations (which may be true). My boss suggested that the only way he could see that would keep the business going was to suspend my pay check and even then, that may not be enough to keep operating. So I asked him where he wanted me to park the truck.

My last paycheck just bounced leaving me in the hole so today i sent this text message and this is what follows. 

Blackwell: Hey nick, that last paycheck just bounced and now we're 150 negative. Are you still on the road?

Nick: I'll check on it. By the way why did you screw up the paperwork? I almost got put out of service and a bad safety because of the way you had the paperwor
k. I had that paperwork in a certain order and used a compression lock to hold the paperwork. I was held up for over a hour. I'm trying to figure out why
you wouldn't of put the paperwork back in the folder.

Blackwell: Now im confused. I put everything back in the folder. I didnt know it had to be in a certain order or i would have paid more attention. Didnt mean to cau
se you any trouble. Why did they almost put you out of service?

Nick: Why didn't you put it back in the folder hold down?

Blackwell: I was in a hurry trying to make a very tight schedule and trying to find out where to go at the port in houston. Just forgot to lock them back down when
i shut down that day. I didnt mean to cause a problem.

Nick: Hmmm, GM headliner, $780.64. I haven't called about the sun visor yet.

Blackwell: Whats going on nick? What did i do to offend you?

Nick: Jason, why do you ask questions like that? You know you're responsible for that headliner.

Blackwell: The headliner and viser can be cleaned with that stuff in the yellow bottle, i'll even come over and do it if you want me to. I just get the impression that you are extremly pissed off at me. Are you?

Nick: Jason the headliner needs to be replaced because you have burned spots in it. There are spots. And when you take water and that type of fabric it will loosen up and not hold up as original.

Nick:  paid a lot of money for that truck almost what you paid and I paid for your house so I am not going to whopper jaw it together. You smoked it up I'm glad you did I'm glad that it helped you with your job but it's going to cost a headliner

Blackwell: Fair enough. I didnt know there were any holes in it. Last time i looked at it all i saw was smudges and some bug guts but i wasnt looking for burn holes so i probably over looked them.

Nick: Yep, they're there. And anyways there's greasy finger marks and everything on it so there's no way clean that anyways

Nick: I remember sending you an email about the greasy fingertips.

Blackwell: So how do you want to work this out with the money?

Nick: I'm trying to find the payroll.

Nick: I might have to work over the weekend.

Blackwell: Did you get the email kim sent you?

Nick: Yes. Haven't had time to complete it. Have to be MON

Blackwell: Ok, thanks

Nick: Will do whatever you think is right Jason.

This guy owes me 4000 dollars for a personal loan. He also bounced a payroll check. He is responsible for providing a letter of separation. And I have just been told that it will have to wait till next week before I get the letter and he has offered no plan to deal with the money he owes me or how to handle the money I owe him for a new headliner in his truck. Meanwhile, I am -$150 in my checking account with no income and bills due, three kids to feed and a roof to keep over their head.

what do you guys make of this situation? There are of coarse, more details but this is what transpired today.

Four months ago I considered this guy a friend.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2012, 12:43:07 PM »
I am really stressing out over this. I think I've been having a low level anxiety attack for the past 4 or 5 days straight.

Last night he sent an email that simply said "Damaged" in the subject line and a picture of the end of a set of jumper cables he was holding.

No message...just the picture.

Does anybody have any advice or experience in this sort of situation? I have been looking around for information on line but I am having a hard time finding anything conclusive.

I could possibly loose my house over this. At the very least I will have to go without phone & internet very soon and maybe even electricity.

He seems to be adding up total damages to equal the amount of the paycheck that bounced so that he doesn't have to make good on it. Just tell me the damages equal the paycheck.

I would actually be okay with that if he paid me the $4000 back that I loaned him in Feb. But he has shown no interest in doing that either.

My fear is that if I press him on the $4000 then he will just come up with $4000 in damages.

I am in way over my head.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2012, 08:09:12 PM »
I know you guys don't really want to touch this hot potatoe, I just don't have any other networks to reach out to for guidance.

I just composed an email that I am about to send but I would like some input as to the tone and the fairness of the solution I have proposed before I send it. I just need a second opinion because I am scared to death to even reply to this guy but it has to be done.

So please, someone...anyone, tell me if this sounds okay.

Hey Nick,

The way I see it, we have three separate issues to work out here.

1. The money I owe you for damages to your equipment.

2. The bounced payroll check

3. The 4000 I loaned you.

And we still need that letter of separation explaining that the company could no longer afford to pay me for work performed. That letter is absolutely crucial for our Human Services case worker to re-evaluate our financial need for assistance and since I have no idea when or from where my next paycheck will come we are in desperate need of assistance.

I am not in a position to be able to pay you for repairs and cannot even speculate how soon I will be able to make restitution to you. This is obviously a deep concern to both of us.

My last pay check must be paid to me by law and you are not authorized to take any deductions from it. So there's not really much we can do about that. That needs to be taken care of as soon as possible.

The quickest and fairest solution I can see is to pay me back the 4000 minus the cost of replacement for the headliner. You said that was about $780 but is that just the cost of the part or does that include labor and instillation? I ask because I found one from a dealership online for about $360 but that doesn't cover instillation of coarse. I know two good certified mechanics that could replace that headliner at next to nothing. I am sure you know a few good mechanics as well.

I want your truck fixed right but there is no need to have to pay top dollar for the repairs if it can be done just as well for less.

Let me know what you think.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2012, 08:17:04 PM »
The email sounds accurate and fine.

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like you will get anything from him that you want or need, including the letter. I assume you do not have any document showing you loaned him $4,000, but if you do, I would show that to whomever needs a letter from him explaining you have been laid off, fired or whatever you want to call it. Since he owes you money, he likely won't talk to you. He's trying to get out of paying you anything.

If you do have something showing that you lent $4,000 to him, you could take him to small claims court to get a judgment. You won't likely see the money, but if he suddenly comes into some money you will have a court document showing he owes you $4,000.

Do you have any prospects for employment?
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2012, 08:18:42 PM »
I think that email reads well, it is courteous and respectful but also clarifies the situation from your perspective and genuinely seeks a solution.

It seems to me you are being shafted. In Australia there are many law firms willing to take a case on a 'no win,no fee' basis. Do law firms work that way in the USA? It might be worth exploring those options, although that of course will sour relations even further and pretty much eliminate your furure prospects with this employer. You might want to weigh up the possibility of you getting some sort of black mark against your name.

Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2012, 08:49:51 PM »
Sorry to hear of your troubles. I have no experience with small claims court but if I were in your shoes I would google a local legal aid in your area for free to low cost legal advice. In regards to your pay, I don't know your state laws but I had an employer who refused to pay me once. I contacted the state labor commission and everything was worked out.

Good luck to you. I was once told something that I still value to this day. Never loan anyone more money than you can afford to lose. Emphasis on anyone, not friends, family, coworkers, or strangers. You can't sacrifice your welfare for the welfare of another. When you loan someone money assume you will never see it again before considering if it's a good idea. It may sound shitty but it's advice that has never let me down.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2012, 08:50:19 PM »
Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like you will get anything from him that you want or need, including the letter. I assume you do not have any document showing you loaned him $4,000, but if you do, I would show that to whomever needs a letter from him explaining you have been laid off, fired or whatever you want to call it. Since he owes you money, he likely won't talk to you. He's trying to get out of paying you anything.

The only thing I have showing the $4000 is a cleared check through my bank but there were no signed agreements or anything of that sort because he was a friend and I trusted him.

If you do have something showing that you lent $4,000 to him, you could take him to small claims court to get a judgment. You won't likely see the money, but if he suddenly comes into some money you will have a court document showing he owes you $4,000.

I called a private investigator Friday to get a quote for an asset investigation to see if it would even be worth my time taking him to a small claims court but the P.I. didn't call me back. I will try again tomorrow. 

Do you have any prospects for employment?

Went through the classifieds today and will start looking around tomorrow but no, no prospects. Even though I have a Class A CDL now, most companies want at least 6 months experience and because of this BS I only have about 4.

If I don't find any good leads tomorrow I may crawl back to Applebee's and see if they will let me wash their dishes. My wife is also going to start looking for a job tomorrow since one of our friends offered to watch our youngest during the day for free.

It seems to me you are being shafted. In Australia there are many law firms willing to take a case on a 'no win,no fee' basis. Do law firms work that way in the USA? It might be worth exploring those options, although that of course will sour relations even further and pretty much eliminate your furure prospects with this employer. You might want to weigh up the possibility of you getting some sort of black mark against your name.

There are some lawyers who will work like that but I have to find them and see if they will take the case. Their may not be enough money involved for them to bother.

The information I am looking for is whether Workforce Labor Laws apply to me since he classified me as an independent contractor for pay purposes. Although he had me listed as a regular employee for insurance purposes to operate his vehicle.

Basically, I am almost positive that he didn't set everything up straight by the books as far as paperwork goes for laws and regulations that I could have his operation shut down and yank his business out from underneath him. But I am not a spiteful or vengeful person and doing that would benefit me none.

I just want this to be over quickly and fairly so that next month at drill I can look him in the eye without guilt or anger.

I think that email reads well, it is courteous and respectful but also clarifies the situation from your perspective and genuinely seeks a solution.

The email sounds accurate and fine.

Thank you both for your input

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2012, 09:07:19 PM »
I am so sorry that you are in this horrible situation.

I think that your email was excellent, and I will be looking back on this thread to see if and how he responds. 

Can you show the records of the bounced check to Human Services?  I know that they are not the easiest bureaucracy to deal with, (at least here in NYC), but this, along with your documented correspondence, could possibly get the ball rolling on the assessment of your financial situation.  At this point, protecting your home is crucial. 

Anxiety is not good for your body.  Nasty chemicals ooze throughout your system and rot your innards.  Try to eat well during times of stress, and even if it is hard, get the sleep that you need.  You will have battles ahead of you, and you need to be alert and strong to face them.   Physical activity is a good strategy to combat anxiety as well.  Or music or walks in the moonlight, or whatever works for you.  Do it.  Keep strong. 

And of course, vent here.  Venting is important too.

Keep us updated. 

Offline on:bread:alone

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2012, 09:21:26 PM »
if i were you, i'd buy a crackhead $50 worth of rock to break this douchebag's fucking legs.
i'm a street-walking cheetah with a heart full of napalm.

please, check out www.letsgetrational.com

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2012, 10:10:10 PM »
if i were you, i'd buy a crackhead $50 worth of rock to break this douchebag's fucking legs.

Don't think I haven't thought about it and don't tempt me  ;)

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2012, 06:14:04 AM »
The only thing I have showing the $4000 is a cleared check through my bank but there were no signed agreements or anything of that sort because he was a friend and I trusted him.

I called a private investigator Friday to get a quote for an asset investigation to see if it would even be worth my time taking him to a small claims court but the P.I. didn't call me back. I will try again tomorrow. 

In my view, either you are owed money or you aren't; either he has money or he doesn't. The cost of going to small claims court is minimal compared to the cost most private investigators will charge you for doing just about anything. In some places the cost for going to small claims court is as little as $25. However, writing out a check to him for $4,000 without any additional paperwork or any additional notation on the check for what the money represents could allow him to say it was merely a gift from you to him, or you were paying him for other damages you owed him.

I agree with Kimberly, if you loan money to someone, never loan more than you can afford to lose because in all likelihood you will.

For work, try a regional trucking company that needs fill-ins for people who are sick or on vacation. See if you can build up time that way.
John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2012, 07:35:50 AM »
Do you have email or text exchanges explaining what the money was for? That may not be as good as a contract but perhaps it's better than nothing?

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2012, 06:35:50 PM »
Good point. Never thought of that.