Author Topic: Fifth Moon of Pluto Discovered  (Read 1408 times)

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
Fifth Moon of Pluto Discovered
« on: July 11, 2012, 01:43:30 PM »
It's a tiny thing, between 8 and 15 miles in diameter.  Pretty much nothing else is known about it right now.  More information may be forthcoming when New Horizons begins studying the Pluto system.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
Re: Fifth Moon of Pluto Discovered
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 02:01:34 PM »
It's a tiny thing, between 8 and 15 miles in diameter.  Pretty much nothing else is known about it right now.  More information may be forthcoming when New Horizons begins studying the Pluto system.
But moons are around a planet, and Pluto isn't a planet. Or am I wrong?
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 02:07:45 PM »
But moons are around a planet, and Pluto isn't a planet. Or am I wrong?

No, the definition of "moon" does not require that it be in orbit around a planet.  In fact, there are actually several asteroids that have moons.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 03:10:10 PM »
We need to get a McDonald's and Starbucks there asap. Also, missionaries...they need to know who made that moon.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-8
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 03:12:41 PM »
We need to get a McDonald's and Starbucks there asap. Also, missionaries...they need to know who made that moon.

Hey Pal, Earth First...we can mine the other planets later.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline BaalServant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Praise Ba'al really hard!
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 03:48:29 AM »
Pianodwarf - you have a dream job. 

Want some inside information from where I work?  We're out of fluorescent light tubes.

Maybe because it's so far away, maybe because it's so recently discovered, I can't really put a finger on why, but Pluto's always been my second favorite place in this solar system.  Thanks for the info.
.   ###$$$$$$$$$$$$###
   ################
   ###  PRAISE BA'AL  ####
 #### FOR THE ALTAR ####
##### OF BA'AL!!!!!! #####
####################

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +551/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 05:49:52 AM »
Link to report: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/space/9394061/Nasa-scientists-discover-fifth-moon-orbiting-Pluto.html

Practical difficulties aside, I feel a little deprived that Earth has only one significant moon; the Other moons of EarthWiki are all a bit pathetic.

Something like this would be good:

Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2012, 07:12:21 AM »
Pianodwarf - you have a dream job.

Had.  I got laid off from NASA in February.  :(  I got a new job about a month later, with the National Geodetic Survey.  It's better for me in most ways -- better work environment, more money, much shorter commute (only a little over a mile from my house).  But NASA was, well, you know... NASA.  I definitely miss being able to say I was a part of it.

Want some inside information from where I work?  We're out of fluorescent light tubes.

I knew the Illuminati would get to you eventually.  Oh, wait, you have no light bulbs... can't be the Illuminati, then.  Must be the Fiendish Fluoridators.

Maybe because it's so far away, maybe because it's so recently discovered, I can't really put a finger on why, but Pluto's always been my second favorite place in this solar system.

It's never been a "biggie" for me, but even so, I'm definitely very anxious for that probe to arrive.

Thanks for the info.

Anytime!

Offline boobatuba

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2012, 10:14:11 AM »

That's a lovely picture, but if it's supposed to be viewed from Pluto's moon the sun is WAY, WAY too big.

ETA: Never mind. It's clearly not supposed to be Pluto.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:16:26 AM by boobatuba »

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 03:36:38 PM »

That sounds like a nice-sized Personal Moon, like a personal watermelon or a personal pan pizza. As a former NASA dude, can you get me a personal moon? :angel:[1]
 1. That's a setup if I ever saw one. Don't disappoint me, people.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.