Author Topic: More Goofy Refutations:  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
Re: More Goofy Refutations:
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2013, 06:57:30 AM »
I just thought of something...

Lets say that hypothetically a limb is "regenerated" rapidly, lets say within 30 seconds.

Would the trauma be lethal as the flesh is added?
(Of course, it would never happen as god does not exist, but still, interesting...)

Limb generation is magic...magic, by definition, breaks the rules.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
  • Residential Tulpamancer.
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2013, 11:36:35 AM »

Lets say that hypothetically a limb is "regenerated" rapidly, lets say within 30 seconds.

(Of course, it would never happen as god does not exist, but still, interesting...)

Yes, yes, i know, hur dur magicz.

But what would happen to a person with a rapidly regenerating limb, wouldn't the trauma be lethal?
I mean a literally rapidly regenerating arm, as in stupidly fast cellular growth.
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +182/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2013, 11:53:34 AM »
^^^Much like shock can kill you before the injury that brought on the shock has time to do so?
My tolerance for BS is limited, and I use up most of it IRL.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2013, 12:27:01 PM »

Yes, yes, i know, hur dur magicz.

But what would happen to a person with a rapidly regenerating limb, wouldn't the trauma be lethal?
I mean a literally rapidly regenerating arm, as in stupidly fast cellular growth.

No "hur dur." Don't be insulting. When you are talking about something that violates the physical laws of the universe....by definition you can no longer rely on the physical laws regarding that phenomenon.

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:21:50 PM by Hatter23 »
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2013, 01:54:38 PM »
No "hur dur." Don't me insulting. When you are talking about something that violates the physical laws of the universe....by definition you can no longer rely on the physical laws regarding that phenomenon.

No insult intended, just stating that magic is stupid.

Okay...

I get that it would have to involve magic, but would the addition of cells be traumatic, or even lethal?
Rule 1: No pooftas. Rule 2: No maltreating the theists, IF, anyone is watching. Rule 3: No pooftas. Rule 4: I do not want to see anyone NOT drinking after light out. Rule 5: No pooftas. Rule 6: There is NO...rule 6.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2013, 02:26:28 PM »

Okay...

I get that it would have to involve magic, but would the addition of cells be traumatic, or even lethal?

No, you first have to sprinkle the stump with ground unicorn horn... then it will be fine when the stump sprouts a new appendage.
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +307/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2013, 02:52:29 PM »
Ummm....cake.

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2013, 03:31:06 PM »
No "hur dur." Don't be insulting. When you are talking about something that violates the physical laws of the universe....by definition you can no longer rely on the physical laws regarding that phenomenon.

Okay...

Okay. Sorry to jump there.  But by what method are the cells being added? You are talking about the creation of matter from nothing. Since the method is magic, there are absolutely no comparables to base an educated opinion on.

I could only guess using growth as a comparison. You would experience excruciating pain, comparable to the bone pain in growth spurts, compress to the duration of the generation of the limb. Probably enough to render you unconcious, but not enought to kill. But that's way out there in speculation land.

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2013, 04:28:34 PM »
^^^ You'd want to knock back at least a half a bottle of holy spirits - sounds painful
If xian hell really exists, the stench of the burning billions of us should be a constant, putrid reminder to the handful of heavenward xians how loving your god is.  - neopagan

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +269/-31
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2013, 05:15:15 PM »
To that, IDK, I refer you to my earlier post to Crowbar when that very point came up:

Why isn't the ear trick (better than anything dynamo has done so far) enough for you? It's a healed amputation. ...

No, it's a story including a healed amputation - within the same book whose veracity is in question in the first place.

Which isn't even the real problem with the "ear amputation" answer.  The question "why won't God heal amputees?" is a fancy way of asking, "why is prayer always indistinguishable from chance?"

Healed amputations never happen by chance.  They also never happen via prayer.  That's why they're the example used in the site's question.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2013, 02:38:05 PM »

Okay...

No, you first have to sprinkle the stump with ground unicorn horn... then it will be fine when the stump sprouts a new appendage.

noooononononono

we know from Harry Potter that *mending* bones is easy, but *regrowing* them is a nasty business.  Very painful.  You're in for a  rough night, Potter...
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline neopagan

• Reader
  • Darwins +86/-3
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2013, 03:31:08 PM »
^^^ My brain is Potter-free.  Thanks for the tip.  I still think uni-dust is the way to go. I mean, they are in the bible and all

Offline Angus and Alexis

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-24
« Reply #41 on: October 03, 2013, 11:28:22 PM »
^^^ My brain is Potter-free.  Thanks for the tip.  I still think uni-dust is the way to go. I mean, they are in the bible and all

Nah, dragon scales all the way.