Author Topic: God and Science website addresses. "Why won't God heal amputees?"  (Read 3095 times)

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
Re: God and Science website addresses. "Why won't God heal amputees?"
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2012, 08:00:00 PM »
I'm really serious about what I wrote up there though ^^^.

Jesus said -

"But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."

Why would Jesus even heal the guys ear? He should have told him to turn the other ear and let it be cut off, if he's going to be consistent in his philosophy. What gives?

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #30 on: July 10, 2012, 08:28:08 PM »
What gives?

It's the Bible.  That's what gives!

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #31 on: July 11, 2012, 07:43:31 AM »
What gives?

I know that's a rhetorical question and you actually know what gives.  But for our studio audience, I'll offer my two bits.  The NT was written to convey different philosophical ideas through jesus stories.  These were written by many different people who sometimes held diametrically opposed philosophies and never in a million years expected to be lumped in together. So it should not be at all surprising (to those of us in the know) that jesus H appears to be a schizophrenic character who says one thing and does another in different books.  That is because for all intents and purposes, the books do not really refer to the same jesus H character.  Or rather, they do not share the same vision of jesus H.  They are as different from each other as Schumacher and Nolan's visions of Batman.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline pianodwarf

• Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #32 on: July 11, 2012, 08:00:41 AM »
What gives?

I know that's a rhetorical question and you actually know what gives.  But for our studio audience, I'll offer my two bits.  The NT was written to convey different philosophical ideas through jesus stories.  These were written by many different people who sometimes held diametrically opposed philosophies and never in a million years expected to be lumped in together. So it should not be at all surprising (to those of us in the know) that jesus H appears to be a schizophrenic character who says one thing and does another in different books.  That is because for all intents and purposes, the books do not really refer to the same jesus H character.  Or rather, they do not share the same vision of jesus H.  They are as different from each other as Schumacher and Nolan's visions of Batman.

It isn't just Jesus in the NT, either, it's also Yahweh in the OT.  I just finished reading the OT last night (yay me!), and it's quite clear that the Yahweh character in the various books is a character being written in different ways by different people.  In the earlier books, for example (Leviticus, I think it is, though I'd have to double-check to be sure), he's constantly going on about all the great smells that he likes, which he doesn't get into anywhere else.  In Ezekiel, he never refers to Ezekiel by name, referring to him instead as "son of man", a form of address that he doesn't use anywhere else.  There are other differences as well, and I'm expecting him to be different yet again in the NT.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +121/-0
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #33 on: July 11, 2012, 08:33:03 AM »
There are other differences as well, and I'm expecting him to be different yet again in the NT.

Yahweh will be on vacation in nearly all of the New Testament writings, but he will pop in for a few one liners like "Hey Jesus, love you bro" and again in Revelations with some self masturbation about how awesome he is.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +618/-23
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #34 on: July 11, 2012, 10:13:03 AM »
The difference between the NT jesus interpretations and the OT yhwh portrayals is in the OT they are literally talking about different gods.  yhwh, el, elohim, el shaddai, and in some cases they crossed out "Baal" and wrote in "yhwh".  In the OT you have authors who are separated by centuries, whereas in the NT you have authors who are sometimes separated by decades.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline pianodwarf

• Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappĂ©
« Reply #35 on: July 11, 2012, 11:29:45 AM »
The difference between the NT jesus interpretations and the OT yhwh portrayals is in the OT they are literally talking about different gods.  yhwh, el, elohim, el shaddai, and in some cases they crossed out "Baal" and wrote in "yhwh".  In the OT you have authors who are separated by centuries, whereas in the NT you have authors who are sometimes separated by decades.

This little project has been and still is very tedious, but I'm glad I did it... if nothing else, I can really see how fragmented, disorganized, and illogical the whole thing is.  It really surprises me that anyone can take this thing seriously.  Even within individual books, for pete's sake... some of the books switch back and forth between first person and third person, which is a pretty clear indication that the text has been tampered with by a person or people who didn't even know what they were doing.

Yahweh will be on vacation in nearly all of the New Testament writings, but he will pop in for a few one liners like "Hey Jesus, love you bro" and again in Revelations with some self masturbation about how awesome he is.

Given what I know about the NT -- especially that most of it was written by Paul -- that's more or less what I was expecting.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +121/-0
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #36 on: July 11, 2012, 11:44:04 AM »
Given what I know about the NT -- especially that most of it was written by Paul -- that's more or less what I was expecting.

Revelations is pretty cool though. In the right hands it could make for one wicked broadway musical.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #37 on: July 11, 2012, 12:10:23 PM »

Revelations is pretty cool though. In the right hands it could make for one wicked broadway musical.

I think it is a bit too psychedelic for mainstream.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online Graybeard

• Darwins +459/-15
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #38 on: July 11, 2012, 12:22:43 PM »
I'm really serious about what I wrote up there though ^^^.

Jesus said -

"But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."

Why would Jesus even heal the guys ear? He should have told him to turn the other ear and let it be cut off, if he's going to be consistent in his philosophy. What gives?
Once the deed was done, you may, by all means, turn the other <insert body part> However, it does not look as if the attack continued, Luke state that Jesus criticized the violent act, insisting that the disciples do not resist Jesus' arrest, and so there was no point turning the other ear.

RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #39 on: July 11, 2012, 01:30:29 PM »
Maybe it should read like this -

"But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn it to Me so I may heal it."

Where's Swayze anyway? I'd love to hear his rationalization engine in full throttle. I'm more interested in how theists equivocate and rationalize these days than trying to show them they're wrong (pretty near impossible).

Online Graybeard

• Darwins +459/-15
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2012, 07:53:57 AM »
Where's Swayze anyway?
Probably on his knees in front of some priest.
RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. Ambrose Bierce

Offline fishjie

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
« Reply #41 on: July 16, 2012, 05:37:31 PM »
dont think he's coming back.

jesus says turn the other cheek, in other words, don't assault your enemies.    when his own follower assaults an enemy, that's a violation, so jesus undos the violation by restoring the ear.   obviously his teachings don't apply to people who don't follow him.    so there's not really a contradiction there.   its consistent with NT hippy jesus' (non revelation which is war jesus) philosophy of love your enemies.   

Offline Turbo SS

• Graduate
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2012, 10:42:18 AM »
Wow was swazyesghost new to the internet or something?  Spend a few minutes going over any atheist related board and those fallacies are bashed into the ground again and again.  I am almost cant believe he really thinks that.  If he doesnt get enough beat down here, maybe he can go to Reddit and get on the r/atheism board.  He could have thousands of people jumping on him with proof of why he is either not using logic or just flat out wrong