Author Topic: Hello, all!  (Read 933 times)

Offline boobatuba

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Hello, all!
« on: July 09, 2012, 09:05:22 PM »
Hi, Everyone.

I'm a music professor at a state university in Oklahoma. My background includes an upbringing in the Methodist Church and eventually a position there as minister of music and youth pastor after earning my masters degree in music. I never attended seminary or any sort of religious institution, but that wasn't a requirement for the position. I taught music and youth in my hometown church for 12 years before deciding I was living a lie and that I couldn't logically reconcile an all-powerful god. Like many, I went through several "crises of faith" and prayed for guidance with no answers ever presented to me.

I'm here for friendly debate and exploration. I'd like nothing more than for a theist to present some real, logical evidence of a god so that I could change my mind on a dime...and I'd do it, too. Call me crazy, but I'm not holding my breath waiting for said evidence.

Feel free to ask me anything or discuss difficult issues...I'm hard to offend and generally easy-going. I'll do my very best to be open-minded and respect everyone's opinions.

Thanks for a great forum!

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
Re: Hello, all!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 09:17:27 PM »
Hello, welcome to the forum. I've enjoyed your post so far. You seem really well spoken and share an interesting perspective. I hope you stick around.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2012, 09:39:19 PM »
Welcome to a fellow musician, we have a few hanging out here!

Enjoy your stay, and for gods sake, don't eat all the beer nuts.  Jeez...

;D

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2012, 10:27:42 PM »
Feel free to ask me anything or discuss difficult issues...

Sure... In a worst-case scenario, with no other viable options, would you opt for a melodic tritone, a direct fifth, or just plonk down a quarter-note rest to give the alto voice a chance to breathe?

(Couldn't resist... I'm taking a harmony course over the summer and am still in deer-in-the-headlights mode. ;D)

Welcome to the forum!
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 10:32:24 PM »
Welcome boobatuba.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 12:01:52 AM »
Welcome to the forum, boobatuba.

I'm curious: I have little to no experience with Methodist beliefs; some family friends of mine are Methodists, and they are pretty liberal politically and low-key about their faith. I have no idea how typical they might be, though.

Would you consider Methodists (generally speaking) one of the more liberal Christian sects?
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline boobatuba

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 12:04:14 AM »
Would you consider Methodists (generally speaking) one of the more liberal Christian sects?

Quite the opposite, in my experience.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 01:15:13 PM »
Welcome

I'm a music professor at a state university in Oklahoma.

How do you like oklahoma?  I've never been, but I have a brother who lived there for a few years.  It sounded horribly racist and generally horrible.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline boobatuba

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 01:22:29 PM »
How do you like oklahoma?  I've never been, but I have a brother who lived there for a few years.  It sounded horribly racist and generally horrible.

Yeah, we get that comment a lot. I've lived here nearly my entire life and most people I know are friendly and pretty open-minded. I do live in one of the few liberal "hot spots," though. Beautiful country and the cost of living is nice and low.

Our politicians are batshit insane, which probably accounts for the poor reviews of the state.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +678/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 02:06:02 PM »
My bro told me about a local steak house that did not actually have steak on the menu.  That way, when brown people came in and asked for a steak, they could have grounds to not serve them.

That restaurant also sold t shirts with horribly homophobic slogans on them.

I consider oklahoma to be one of the states that should be invaded by the US.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 10:10:22 AM »
Hi boobatuba, love the name... Welcome!
I'm a classically trained (training) Violist and composer. great to see another muso on here!

Astreja, didn't. know you.were studying harmony! I am too if you ever want to discuss. That applies to booob too ;)
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2012, 07:58:13 PM »
Astreja, didn't. know you.were studying harmony! I am too if you ever want to discuss. That applies to booob too ;)

Might take you up on that offer someday, EV!  I'm taking private lessons from My clarinet teacher so that I can write the Royal Conservatory of Music Grade 3 Harmony exam sometime in the next year.  (I'll need it as a prerequisite when I finally get to the Grade 9 clarinet practical exam.)  So far I'm not doing too badly:  I'm starting to memorize the basic rules and have a decent understanding of figured bass notation for major and minor keys.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2012, 04:01:42 AM »

Might take you up on that offer someday, EV!  I'm taking private lessons from My clarinet teacher so that I can write the Royal Conservatory of Music Grade 3 Harmony exam sometime in the next year.  (I'll need it as a prerequisite when I finally get to the Grade 9 clarinet practical exam.)  So far I'm not doing too badly:  I'm starting to memorize the basic rules and have a decent understanding of figured bass notation for major and minor keys.

Epic! You got on to Neopolitan, French, German and Italian 6ths yet? They're awweesome. Wait until you discover the untapped power of the circle of 5ths, it will blow your mind. I have some nifty tricks with that. What say you start a new thread when you are ready to discuss it and we can nerd out on Music Theory? I very recently took my ABRSM Grade 8 Theory (that's the highest grade in UK) and have nothing else to do with my knowledge except musicgasm over suspensions...

Clarinet is a great instrument. I really do love that thing.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);