Author Topic: The Loch Ness Monster is Real, Solar Fusion is a Myth  (Read 839 times)

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +121/-0
    • I am a Forum Guide
The Loch Ness Monster is Real, Solar Fusion is a Myth
« on: June 25, 2012, 08:50:17 AM »
That's right, in 2013 more Louisiana students will be taught these "facts" (among other absurdities) in private schools thanks to a bill that was passed. This bill was passed back in April, and while I knew it was a step in the wrong direction, I didn't realize the extent of the damage it would have on education. For those not familiar with the bill, it will provide public school students with "voucher money" to switch over to private Christian schools. This is a big win for creationists; this is taxpayer-funded creationism. These private Christian schools will also receive, on top of the vouchers, a substantial amount of funding:

"...$1 million in tax dollars will be diverted from the public school system to Eternity Christian, a school that, according to its mission statement, offers “a quality faith-based curriculum that is solely [sic] based on principles from the Bible ...”[1]

When they say "faith-based curriculum" the Eternity Christian[2] school is talking about the textbooks pumped out by Accelerated Christian Education Inc. The ACE curriculum is known for many anti-scientific claims, such as:

- Science Proves Homosexuality is a Learned Behavior
        - The Second Law of Thermodynamics Disproves Evolution
        - No Transitional Fossils Exist
        - Humans and Dinosaurs Co-Existed
        - Evolution Has Been Disproved
        - A Japanese Whaling Boat Found a Dinosaur
        - Solar Fusion is a Myth

This is another pretty nasty blow to education in Louisiana. If the creationists keep this up, they're going to make me consider a career change in order to fight this reversion to the dark ages.
 1. http://www.theind.com/re/10651-ill-vouch-for-that-
 2. http://www.eternitychristianacademy.com/about.html
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 08:54:21 AM by Zankuu »
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline One Above All

• Professor
  • Darwins +222/-29
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: The Loch Ness Monster is Real, Solar Fusion is a Myth
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 08:53:44 AM »
I said it before and I'll say it again:
All rational people should leave the USA and go live elsewhere; somewhere where intelligence is rewarded, rather than feared.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +204/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 08:56:43 AM »
I said it before and I'll say it again:
All rational people should leave the USA and go live elsewhere; somewhere where intelligence is rewarded, rather than feared.

Left to its own devices, irrationality festers, feeding on itself in a bizarre form of memetic synergy.  Irrationality must be confronted directly and fought for it to be wiped out.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline One Above All

• Professor
  • Darwins +222/-29
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 09:00:27 AM »
Irrationality must be confronted directly and fought for it to be wiped out.

Irrationality will wipe itself out, regardless. Why do you think the dark ages didn't last forever? Sure, we'll never get those centuries back, but this is on a much smaller scale than that. Leave the USA to the fundies and they'll create their own hell and die off.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2012, 09:04:04 AM »
nope, they will drag whomever they can into their hell that they are creating.
this bill mentioned is an example.
I bet the life-like educators who believe this crap and teach it admire the life-like children they are destroying.

Offline One Above All

• Professor
  • Darwins +222/-29
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2012, 09:05:17 AM »

They can't drag you if you're out of (h)arm's reach.
We choose our own gods.

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +204/-5
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 09:08:22 AM »
Irrationality will wipe itself out, regardless.

I'd like to think that's true, but I don't.  To me, it's more like women's suffrage.  Women getting the vote wasn't something that was going to happen inevitably, given enough time.  People had to force the issue.  Same with irrationality.

Why do you think the dark ages didn't last forever?

Because freethinkers challenged the status quo.  You don't really think the Church gave up all that power willingly, do you?

Leave the USA to the fundies and they'll create their own hell and die off.

If the USA were some Third-World backwater, I might agree with you.  However, the USA is arguably the most powerful nation in the world, and certainly one of the most imperialistic as well.  It cannot be left to its own devices; it must be shown the error of its thinking because, if it isn't, it is highly likely that it will harm not just itself but others as well.

I believe it was Thomas Jefferson who said, "My country, right or wrong.  When right, to be kept right; when wrong, to be put right."
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 09:09:20 AM »

so what are you going to do? get off the grid and live in the most remote part of the earth?
you still wouldn't be that hard to find by these idiots.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +121/-0
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 09:13:19 AM »
Irrationality will wipe itself out, regardless. Why do you think the dark ages didn't last forever?

The Reader's Digest version: science and philosophy by way of freethought during The Renaissance.

The arm's reach of Chrisianity is constantly stretched outward; the superstition spread beyond the Middle East.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 09:19:46 AM »
and to think that these devils... are gloating over their new found source of cash to exploit.
what happened to pull yourself up by the boot straps, tax funded education is an abomination, and survival of the fittest capitalism style business?

Offline One Above All

• Professor
  • Darwins +222/-29
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 09:27:55 AM »
what happened to pull yourself up by the boot straps, tax funded education is an abomination, and survival of the fittest capitalism style business?

You're surprised they're lying hypocrites?

Post scriptum: I think my +1 for pianodwarf speaks for itself regarding the other issues.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +121/-0
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2012, 12:19:44 PM »
I just checked out some of the textbooks that ACE supplies private schools with. The Grade 8 science textbook is titled...

*drumroll*

...When Science Fails.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2012, 12:27:27 PM »
And that is why La and Miss always score last on nat testing.  The voucher thing is a way to segregate school again.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +121/-0
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2012, 12:34:05 PM »
And that is why La and Miss always score last on nat testing.  The voucher thing is a way to segregate school again.

You're pretty much right Nick. This is the first big push for the school privatization movement. Conservatives and creationists have wanted this for years and years.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2012, 01:18:19 PM »

When they say "faith-based curriculum" the Eternity Christian[1] school is talking about the textbooks pumped out by Accelerated Christian Education Inc. The ACE curriculum is known for many anti-scientific claims, such as:

- Science Proves Homosexuality is a Learned Behavior
        - The Second Law of Thermodynamics Disproves Evolution
        - No Transitional Fossils Exist
        - Humans and Dinosaurs Co-Existed
        - Evolution Has Been Disproved
        - A Japanese Whaling Boat Found a Dinosaur
        - Solar Fusion is a Myth

1. http://www.eternitychristianacademy.com/about.html

It's education like this that will get them into university and high paying jobs in the future. As long as the teach them to read and add up so that they can take our orders and know how much change we require.

Look at it from another point of view. If all the loonies go to these schools then they won't be bothering the rational students in the proper schools and they can get on with real learning.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2012, 01:45:15 PM by Frank »
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +441/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2012, 11:00:47 AM »
Irrationality will wipe itself out, regardless. Why do you think the dark ages didn't last forever? Sure, we'll never get those centuries back, but this is on a much smaller scale than that. Leave the USA to the fundies and they'll create their own hell and die off.
The dark ages ended because the ignorance in Europe was confronted by the rationalists of the Enlightenment.  Ignorance doesn't "die out" on its own, in other words.  It just becomes messier and messier until someone comes and confronts it, and the longer it's left uncorrected, the harder it is to fix.

I think of ignorance as a human expression of entropy.  It's a lot easier for people to become and stay ignorant, it always takes much more effort to rectify the situation than it took to get that way to begin with, and it isn't something that fixes itself on its own.  I would rather try to keep up with it and prevent it from becoming too nasty, than have to let people deal with a much worse mess in the future.
Worldviews:  Everyone has one, everyone believes them to be an accurate view of the world, and everyone ends up at least partially wrong.  However, some worldviews are stronger and well-supported, while others are so bizarre that they make no sense to anyone else.

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +552/-22
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2012, 11:38:21 AM »
Leave the USA to the fundies and they'll create their own hell and die off.

1. is that what happened in islamist countries?
2. idiot fundies with a nuclear arsenal will not just create their own hell, but one everyone can enjoy.

I believe it was Thomas Jefferson who said,

Senator Carl Schurz
http://www.bartleby.com/73/1641.html
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline pianodwarf

• Fellow
  • Darwins +204/-5
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2012, 12:01:04 PM »
I believe it was Thomas Jefferson who said,

Senator Carl Schurz
http://www.bartleby.com/73/1641.html

Thanks for the update.  I first read that quote in a book by Richard Bach but couldn't remember whether he had attributed it or not.  I'll have to look at it again when I get home.