Author Topic: Upcoming End of The World  (Read 1893 times)

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Upcoming End of The World
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2012, 10:12:14 AM »
so this crazy fuck thinks he is Jesus?

How do you know he's not? &)
Look for the nail holes.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +369/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2012, 02:42:24 PM »
So, tomorrow is the big day.  Again. 

I'll be far away from internet access for a week or so, starting tomorrow afternoon.  But in the event that I never reach my destination, and this fine man is correct in his predictions, I guess I'll see most of you guys in hell. 

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +121/-0
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2012, 02:50:39 PM »
Oh! This is the same guy that Bill Maher interviewed in his documentary Religulous. Here's the interview.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2012, 04:45:30 PM »
Not sure what time of day all this is happening.  Nice knowing you all.  Shoot your fireworks off early...you won't see the 4th.  It's really kind of sad.  I'll miss this old planet. :'(

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +16/-69
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2012, 05:41:16 PM »
It bothers me when people make predictions like that.  The Bible clearly says "noone knows the day and hour".  It says only the Father knows.

But speaking of the end of religion I do have a few thoughts.  Or rather I will state a couple interpretations from Jehovah's Witnesses from Revelation.  I will be brief and am only going to present the assertations and not much scriptural proof unless someone is interested in investigating the matter further.

The Witnesses teach that the beast of Revelation 13 pictures the world wide political system.  The seven heads represent the seven major world powers that have existed upon the earth, each in succession.  The US/British world power being the seventh is also pictured by the two headed wild beast called the "false prophet".  This two headed wild beast erects an image of the first beast.  According to the Witnesses this is the United Nations, that was mostly erected by the US/British. 

Upon the back of the first beast there is a harlot that is name "Babylon the Great".  Rather than a sexual harlot she is a religious harlot that has "committed fornication with the kings of the earth" and she is said to have a kingdom "over the kings of the earth".  In addition it says she has made the merchants of the earth rich because of here "shamless luxuries".  Allow me a bit of analyzing here.

She has a kingdom "over the kings of the earth" and the kings of the earth "stand at a distance" as she is destroyed.  Therefore she is not political.  She makes the merchant rich and they too "stand at a distance" as she is destroyed.  Therefore she cannot be a commercial entity.  Furthermore since she has a "kingdom over the kings of the earth" she therefore must be international in scope.   

No think for a moment and consider history.   What has led mankind astray by it's "spiritistic practices"?  It seems many of you will agree that it is religion.  Does this fit the prophecy?  The bible only speaks of two types of harlots.  Physical and religious.  She cannot be an individual since she is also referred to as a "great city".  Therefore it must be a religious harlot. 

She is said to be riding upon the political wild beast.  Has religion "rode upon the back" of politics, trying to direct it here and there?  Indeed it has.  Has religion made the merchants of the earth rich?  Indeed it has.  Christmas itself is the most profitable day for merchants.  That is not to mention all the shameless tax free luxuries religion as a whole possesses.

So what does the Bible say becomes of the harlot?  It says the political wild beast she is riding will turn upon her and completely destroy her.  Does it seem possible the political entities of this world may eventually turn against religion?  It definatley seems plausible to me.  Do they have the power to effectively destroy her?  I think so. 

One other thing.  There is a parallel prophecy about the destruction of Ancient Babylon that is an archtype for Babylon the Great according to the Witnesses and many other scholars.  It says her waters will be dried up.  In Revelation we are told the waters represent "peoples, multitudes, nations and languages."  Is religion's "waters" being dried up?  Indeed, Church membership is mostly on the decline.

However, let me make a clarification.  Babylon the Great does not picture all religion.  Only whorish religion.  While the wild beast will not make a distinction between whorish and chaste religion, Revelation only shows the harlot will be destroyed.

I'm sure all of this will quickly be dismissed out of hand.  But if there is ever a time that politcal entities ever turn to destroy religion, remember this post. 

"I am Jehovah, and there is none else; besides me there is no God. I will gird thee, though thou hast not known me"  (Isaiah 45:5)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +67/-10
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #34 on: June 29, 2012, 05:50:28 PM »
JST

Why does there have to be an end? why doesn't God just do the right thing? place Satan in prison,like he could not have done that upon Satans first THOUGHT of rebellion. You and your phony god need an enemy and punishment to hold over our heads or it just plain won't work will it?

Without constant threat or enemies your god is weak and about as usefull as all other gods before it,why buy into the lies?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +677/-1
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2012, 05:59:11 PM »

I'm sure all of this will quickly be dismissed out of hand.  But if there is ever a time that politcal entities ever turn to destroy religion, remember this post. 

This has already happened many times-- Christians (and to a lesser extent, Muslims) backed by political power have destroyed every religion they considered to be pagan or idolotrous. The ancient European, American, African, Pacific and Arab practices were stomped out and eventually replaced by religions like..... the Jehovah's Witnesses. &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +67/-10
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #36 on: June 29, 2012, 06:11:47 PM »

This has already happened many times-- Christians (and to a lesser extent, Muslims) backed by political power have destroyed every religion they considered to be pagan or idolotrous. The ancient European, American, African, Pacific and Arab practices were stomped out and eventually replaced by religions like..... the Jehovah's Witnesses. &)
NO SHIT......they have systematically wiped almost every religion off the map (or pushed them underground). If it wasn't for Hitler and the holocaust where would Judaism be now? underground or extinct?

At the same time they have also allowed others to spring up by taking the stories and creating new ones....like  Mormonism
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 06:20:20 PM by 12 Monkeys »
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +121/-0
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #37 on: June 29, 2012, 06:25:05 PM »
It bothers me when people make predictions like that.  The Bible clearly says "noone knows the day and hour".  It says only the Father knows.

Yeah it bothers me too Jst. You know who made the first failed apocalyptic prediction in Christianity?

Jesus.

Quote from: Matthew 16:21-28
21 From that time on Jesus began to explain to his disciples that he must go to Jerusalem and suffer many things at the hands of the elders, the chief priests and the teachers of the law, and that he must be killed and on the third day be raised to life.

22 Peter took him aside and began to rebuke him. “Never, Lord!” he said. “This shall never happen to you!”

23 Jesus turned and said to Peter, “Get behind me, Satan! You are a stumbling block to me; you do not have in mind the concerns of God, but merely human concerns.”

24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow me. 25 For whoever wants to save their life[a] will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it. 26 What good will it be for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul? Or what can anyone give in exchange for their soul? 27 For the Son of Man is going to come in his Father’s glory with his angels, and then he will reward each person according to what they have done.

28 “Truly I tell you, some who are standing here will not taste death before they see the Son of Man coming in his kingdom.”

Oops.

Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +67/-10
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #38 on: June 29, 2012, 06:34:35 PM »

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2012, 07:13:27 PM »
Well, you guys better be correct.  I purchased this $600,000 yacht with a fraudulent check, and I as I write this, captain Culpepper (who I’ve promised $40,000/yr) is at the helm navigating out into open water.  I just had sex with our 19 yr old maid (that I’ve hired at $30,000/yr) in the galley, finished off this bottle of the 100 yr old brandy I stole, and the cook I hired for $35,000 per yr has started whipping up the truffles received from the French company yesterday. 

I gave my house keys and car keys to a homeless man on 4th Street, told our boss to get f*cked last week , (and also that god doesn’t exist) and tongue kissed the new girl on the way out, and I laid my wallet with the account number’s on Randi’s desk (I like Randi).  Free at last.  I’m glad you guys know the truth.  I've enjoyed WWGHA.  Enjoy the end.
The irony is with freewill.  Atheism realizes we don't have it, while the fundamentals of theism demand it but don't want it.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +16/-69
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #40 on: June 29, 2012, 08:17:38 PM »
Quote from: 12monkeys
JST

Why does there have to be an end? why doesn't God just do the right thing? place Satan in prison,like he could not have done that upon Satans first THOUGHT of rebellion. You and your phony god need an enemy and punishment to hold over our heads or it just plain won't work will it?

Without constant threat or enemies your god is weak and about as usefull as all other gods before it,why buy into the lies?

Well there is not really going to be a total "end".  There's going to be an end to this "system of things" but not the end of the earth or even life upon it.  And while the Bible says many fearful things are going to happen as the end approaches the end itself is a time of joy and hope.  The Bible says the "end" will climax with God doing exactly as you propose and locking Satan away.  However, other things must go too.  These include man made government that has "dominated man to his own injury" and commercial empires.  Christians only want the end to come because afterward there is promised to be a "new heavens and a new earth".  And yes, God could have destroyed Satan sooner.  However that would not have resolved the problems that arose because of Satan, nor would it gaurantee the same problem wouldn't arise again in the future.  If asked I will explain this further. 

Quote from: nogodsforme
This has already happened many times-- Christians (and to a lesser extent, Muslims) backed by political power have destroyed every religion they considered to be pagan or idolotrous. The ancient European, American, African, Pacific and Arab practices were stomped out and eventually replaced by religions like..... the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Yes I am aware of this.  But the vision is not one of the harlot killing herself as would be the case of one religion destroying another religion as has happened in the past.  The fact that religions have used political powers to back their wars is futher evidence of the vision's truthfulness of the harlot riding upon the back of the wild beast while "committing fornication with the kings of the earth".  Such Christians of the past, by committing "fornication with the kings of the earth"  have made themselves a part of the harlot.  The destruction of the harlot will be the beginning of the end.  This is further confirmed by the Bible's statement that "judgment begins with the house of God".

Quote from: Zankuu
Yeah it bothers me too Jst. You know who made the first failed apocalyptic prediction in Christianity?

As far as I can tell most Christians agree that this prophecy was fulfilled when some of Jesus' disciples witnessed his transfiguration.  At least I've have never heard one dispute it.

To sum up I would like to leave off with a message of hope.  If this occurs and religions and governments begin to fall it will indeed be a fearful time.  But this is not the end of the matter.  Immediately after this Revelation says the 1000 year reign of Christ and the resurrectionn of the dead will begin.  God's kingdom will be the only rulership for the earth, this includes kingly rulership and also priestly rulership.  All things that cause mankind to stumble and faulter will be removed as will all barriers between man and God.

There is one last thing I want to mention, although this part is only my own private interpretation.  The Witnesses do teach that the time of Jesus' earlthy life and up to the time of Jerusalem's destruction is an archtype for the "conclusion of this system of things".  Using that parallel here are some of my own thoughts.  During Jesus' time on earth he pronounced condemnation on more than one occasion.  However, I think it is noteworthy of who these condemnations were directed toward.  They were, without exception, soley directed toward the jewish religious leaders and never the common people who Jesus said had misled the common people.  Jesus never condemned the common people.  If this is a true parallel the future may be similar.  But back to JW teachings.

The common people were not left without life or death responsibility. Their survival did depend on heeding Jesus' warnings.  Jesus' prophesies of the end have two fulfillments.  One was upon Israel and the other is upon the entire world.  They parellel each other.  Jesus fortold the end of the Jewish system and instructed people when they saw it begin to happen to "flee to the mountains".  Those that heeded Jesus' warnings did flee from Jerusalem.  Those that did not were destroyed along with Jerusalem.  The modern day fullfullment also requires the common people to heed Jesus' warnings.

I realize most, if not all of you, will assume it's all wishful thinking and that Revelation was written by an imaginative mad man.  But on the off chance that it is not, I hope you guys will not forget this and at least keep it in the back or your minds and will take appripriate actions if you see these things begin to occur.

And I have no way of proving this interpretation is any more valid than the myriads of others you have surely heard other than the puzzle seems to fit together nicely when taken this way as opposed to other interpretations I have heard.  You will have to judge for yourself. 

"I am Jehovah, and there is none else; besides me there is no God. I will gird thee, though thou hast not known me"  (Isaiah 45:5)

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +121/-0
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #41 on: June 29, 2012, 08:21:17 PM »
Jst, do you think the "End Times" will come in your lifetime?

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +16/-69
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #42 on: June 29, 2012, 08:48:49 PM »

Well I would like to say yes, but I really don't know.  I mean it would be a unique time in history and a unique thing to witness but I just don't know.  What I spoke of above occurs during what the Bible calls the "Great Tribulation".  The Great Tribulation is preceeded by the "last days".  I'm sure everyone is familiar with Jesus' signs of the last days such as wars, famines, disease, earthquakes, etc. etc.  Since these things have always existed, even when Jesus gave those signs, in order for the sign to be apparant these things must happen in some noteworthy way that sets it apart from what has always occured. 

The Witnesses teach that both world wars along with the terrible famines and diseases of the same time period were definately noteworthy occurances that were unique in the history of the world and I agree with that.  But I cannot say there cannot be other occurances that are more unique and noteworthy.  But I also know that these things can only get so bad while still allowing mankind to exist but I really can't say how bad things will get before the Great Tribulation begins.  I really hate to imagine wars worse than the two world wars but I guess it is possible but I am confident the world will not be completely ruined by nuclear warfare.  The end will come before that happens.

People alive to see the beginning of the Great Tribulation, signaled by the destruction of the harlot, will definatley be alive to witness the conclusion.  But until that begins I cannot say if it will happen in my day.  I can see the stage being set for that to happen, but that's about it.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #43 on: June 29, 2012, 09:40:07 PM »
That's interesting. ;)

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +121/-0
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #44 on: June 30, 2012, 12:36:11 AM »
Well I would like to say yes, but I really don't know. I mean it would be a unique time in history and a unique thing to witness but I just don't know. […]I cannot say if it will happen in my day. I can see the stage being set for that to happen, but that's about it.

That isn’t surprising.

Christians have always been excited for the world to end. A PewResearch poll from two years ago found that roughly 23% of the U.S. believes Jesus will definitely return in their lifetime, while 18% believe it is possible he will return in their lifetime. So 41% of Christians think that the end times will take place before they die. Like I said, this is nothing new. Christians have been claiming Jesus will return in their lifetime or that they see the telltale signs only to die without the event ever taking place- and this has been going on every century since the crucifixion.

I'm sure everyone is familiar with Jesus' signs of the last days such as wars, famines, disease, earthquakes, etc. etc.

Indeed. The end times have been "coming to pass" for two thousand years now.

Since these things have always existed, even when Jesus gave those signs, in order for the sign to be apparant these things must happen in some noteworthy way that sets it apart from what has always occured.

So what would you consider a noteworthy series of events that would be an apparent end times sign?

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #45 on: June 30, 2012, 10:44:26 AM »

I think the "End Times" will come in my lifetime. Assuming I live to be 5 billion years old of course.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #46 on: June 30, 2012, 11:44:30 AM »
Well, I was outside running my 4 miles this morning early while it was kind of cool out and a bee flew into my mouth and stung the inside of my mouth twice and my tongue once before I got it out.  Damn end of the world pre game sh*t, I guess.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2012, 05:06:44 PM »
It's after 5pm and nothing.  Could someone have figured something out wrong?

Offline One Above All

• Professor
  • Darwins +223/-30
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2012, 05:08:26 PM »

It's almost midnight here. My guess is that this was one of those "spiritual" things. You know, indistinguishable from nothing happening at all.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Jstwebbrowsing

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +16/-69
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2012, 05:57:21 PM »
Zankuu

I will answer your post tomorrow when I have more time.

I would like to ask the rest of you why you are here?  Is it to have discussion, debate, or a mocking contest? 

Oh wait.  I know what's going on.  It's like DNA.  There's no intelligence at all behind those posts.  They just randomly happened.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #50 on: June 30, 2012, 05:59:35 PM »
I would like to ask the rest of you why you are here?  Is it to have discussion, debate, or a mocking contest? 

I'll talk to you without mocking anytime. I promise.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
« Reply #51 on: June 30, 2012, 06:39:49 PM »

You have to remember they have until midnight in the last place it could still be the 30th in. After that we can take the piss and mock as much as we want.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
« Reply #52 on: June 30, 2012, 07:24:05 PM »

What is there to discuss/debate? Godbotherer claimed the world would end today. It didn't. End of discussion/debate. That just leaves the mocking.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #53 on: June 30, 2012, 07:46:49 PM »

Jst – I confess I enjoy these end of the world threads.  Seems like there are more and more of them.  I guess we have to wait till December for the next one?  I really did not steal a yacht, and I should take each of these ends of the world more seriously than I do.
The irony is with freewill.  Atheism realizes we don't have it, while the fundamentals of theism demand it but don't want it.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +72/-23
« Reply #54 on: June 30, 2012, 07:54:36 PM »
I guess it all depends on what your definition of "world" is....jerks.

"People want to get whatever they want to get. Do I care? No, I don't care. People need certain things" - Senator Leland Yee (D) California

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #55 on: June 30, 2012, 08:13:40 PM »
Oh wait.  I know what's going on.  It's like DNA.  There's no intelligence at all behind those posts.  They just randomly happened.

If you don't have what it takes to be humiliated after making such a ridiculously stupid remark, then mockery is a waste of time. I don't know how one might lead you to a healthy sense of shame with regard to the ignorant thing you just wrote, but, I, for one, am always looking for ideas.

You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +72/-23
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2012, 08:41:13 PM »
IT'S 9:50 EASTERN STANDARD TIME!

WHY ARE WE STILL HERE?!?!?!?!?
"People want to get whatever they want to get. Do I care? No, I don't care. People need certain things" - Senator Leland Yee (D) California

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +560/-22
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2012, 08:43:26 PM »
The Witnesses teach that both world wars along with the terrible famines and diseases of the same time period were definately noteworthy occurances that were unique in the history of the world and I agree with that.

I would agree that those occurrences were unique, in that, they had never happened in exactly that way before.  Then again, I would describe my last bowl of lucky charms similarly. 

The question is not whether they are unique.  The question is whether the signal the beginning of the xian revenge fantasy where jesus H comes back an murders everyone who won't lick his boots.  To say they are merely unique is a big, giant dodge of the question.

But I cannot say there cannot be other occurances that are more unique and noteworthy. 

total lack of commitment.  total hedge. WHERE IS YOUR FAITH?

But I also know ... but that's about it.

Oy. I'm with Pony on this one.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.