Author Topic: hundred dollar question.  (Read 248 times)

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
hundred dollar question.
« on: June 23, 2012, 08:40:43 AM »
do edges exist?
is an edge a pattern or design?

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +551/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
Re: hundred dollar question.
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 09:31:02 AM »
do edges exist?
Yes
is an edge a pattern or design or something else?
Yes

Please send my $100 to me via paypal.
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 11:30:31 AM »
certainly, not a problem.
now, if an edge is something else what is it?

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 11:40:44 AM »
An edge is abstract, it is something we use to help define an object in our heads, an edge is how we define an outer region or border of an object or what one may choose to perceive as an object (like a circle on a piece of paper). Do they exist? Only in the same way shapes exist, in our head, in how we decide to interpret real world objects. A circle only exists because we define that as a shape, but a circle is not an object, it's how we may describe an object.

You may use an edge or a circle in a pattern or a design, but they themselves are not a pattern or design.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +551/-19
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 11:54:28 AM »
certainly, not a problem.
now, if an edge is something else what is it?
The Oxford English Dictionary (on line 2008 edition access by subscription) says
1 (a) The thin sharpened side of the blade of a cutting instrument or weapon; opposed to the ‘back’ or blunt side; or to the ‘flat’ or broad surface of the blade. Often associated with point (Old English ord). the edge of the sword : used rhetorically for ‘the sword’ as the typical instrument of slaughter or of conquest.
b. poet. A cutting weapon or tool; in Middle English also a lance.
c. The sharpness given to a blade by whetting.
7.a. The line in which two surfaces of a solid object meet abruptly; spec. in Geometry, the line of meeting of two faces of a polyhedron.
9. The rim (of a hollow vessel).

III. The boundary of a surface.
10. a. The line which forms the boundary of any surface; a border, verge. By extension, that portion of the surface of any object, or of a country, district, etc., adjacent to its boundary. (Cf. border n.)
In geographical sense formerly often used where frontier or boundary would now be preferred.
c. That which is placed on the border of a garment, etc.;
11. a. The brink or verge (of a bank or precipice).(plus other figurative uses)

Which part are you having difficulty with?

Is this for some essay or school project?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 12:02:09 PM »
....an edge is the superior skillset.

To have the edge on an opponent.

It is neither a pattern nor a design.

$100 please

"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +551/-19
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 12:08:38 PM »
Hey! I've already got that $100!

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2012, 12:15:55 PM »
An edge is abstract, it is something we use to help define an object in our heads, an edge is how we define an outer region or border of an object or what one may choose to perceive as an object (like a circle on a piece of paper). Do they exist? Only in the same way shapes exist, in our head, in how we decide to interpret real world objects. A circle only exists because we define that as a shape, but a circle is not an object, it's how we may describe an object.

You may use an edge or a circle in a pattern or a design, but they themselves are not a pattern or design.
I was looking for this ^^^

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2012, 12:27:55 PM »
Hey! I've already got that $100!

...but I edged you out of the claim.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

Offline RNS

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
  • Diplomat
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2012, 04:36:01 PM »
If an edge is just an abstract concept in your head, then run your finger down the edge of a sharp knife and reconsider. You may also run the edge of a sword across your cranium. You may say the edge is still just in your head, and this time I would actually agree with you.

If an edge isn't a pattern or design, some conceptual artists partial to geometric abstraction will be thoroughly disappointed. You should let them all know immediately that so they can stop wasting their time  :D
love and truth and love of truth

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2012, 05:00:14 PM »
If an edge is just an abstract concept in your head, then run your finger down the edge of a sharp knife and reconsider. You may also run the edge of a sword across your cranium. You may say the edge is still just in your head, and this time I would actually agree with you.

If an edge isn't a pattern or design, some conceptual artists partial to geometric abstraction will be thoroughly disappointed. You should let them all know immediately that so they can stop wasting their time  :D
and edge by itself, not dependent upon other things....

Offline RNS

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
  • Diplomat
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2012, 05:04:26 PM »
and edge by itself, not dependent upon other things....
Like what? All the definitions I can think of rely on something else. An edge usually pertains to something else, i.e. look at the edge of a shape or knife or cliff. What kind of edges are you talking about?
love and truth and love of truth

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2012, 06:41:03 PM »
The point is (as it seems this is what none is getting at), the way in which we interact with the world is through language and how our brain uses our language to interpret it. Language itself is abstract and the words we use to describe an object as in themselves abstract. A circle does not physically exist, nor does an edge, because these are terms we use to describe something specific, but only something that's specific to how our minds interpret it. So lets take 'circle' again, it is only something we give to an object as a property. Take a donut, we'd say that it's circular. Would a culture whose language has no concept of a circle or even shapes for that matter understand that the a donut is circular? The donut doesn't cease to exist, it's just a 'circle' is just a concept we apply, therefore it's abstract.

Equally if a culture had no concept of a 'edge', you would not be able to tell them the edge of a knife is sharp until you bring them the concept of an 'edge' to their language.

Arguably, even the term 'knife' is just an abstract, because a knife is just how we define a piece of metal with a particular form and metal is an abstract because it's just molecules of a certain form and well, you get the idea.

I think here's an interesting experiment as far as 'language' and 'reality' goes, it's the Loftus & Palmer one on Eye Witness testimony. Essentially they had people watch a video of a car crash and at the end they took to different groups of people to ask the same set of questions but worded differently. They would be asked, "at what speed do you think the car was going when it [insert word] with the other car" the replacement word could be 'crash', 'collided', 'hit', 'smash' and so on and they would have a follow up question, which would be, "was there broken glass afterwards?" The highest speeds given went to 'smash' and generally people said that there was broken glass at the scene, whilst others with 'lighter' words tended not to suggest so. This experiment has been repeated of course and it kind of caused a little bit of a stir with how we understand the reliability of eye witness testimony. Through simple word play how people remembered something they've only just watched was altered. More info here.

I think what it comes down to is that we're connected to the world through language and how we use language to interpret any sensory data our brain receives. Essentially, our own realities exist in our cerebral cortex.

Also start considering how people's interpretations of events are affected by their perception of reality, what about a near death experience, I am sure a psychologist and a priest may interpret their experiences very differently and use completely different words to describe it and essentially tell a different story of what could be the same experience.

Of course, I've gone off track from whether an 'edge' exists, but it kinda hits on how we 'view' the world relies on language and is full of concepts that do not physically exist, but are used to apply properties to things that do.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2012, 07:48:33 PM »
you cannot have a valley without hills

the slope going up a mountain is an incline
the same slope going down the same mountain is a decline