Author Topic: Hello, I am a follower of Jesus Christ  (Read 3429 times)

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
Re: Hello, I am a follower of Jesus Christ
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2012, 03:17:13 AM »

Hey there The Wannabe, and thanks.  Does that mean that everyone will consider me their chum? :)  Will see you around friend

I will consider you my chum if you promise never to mention Pascal's Wager. Upon that event happening, our chumness is terminated.

Welcome to the forum chum.

Hope you get your satisfaction of heated debate, raucous conversation, rum and saucy wenches. Just don't forget that our wenches are actually the most literate and educated wenches you will ever meet and will argue you into the dust ;)

Oh and watch out for MagicMiles, he's a bit of a masochistic theist. He's left two or three times now, and just keeps on coming back for more.

My advice would be to not put 'God bless' on the end of your posts, as it is not particularly relevant. We argue from literal truths and empiricism here, you may want to look up some common logical fallacies.

This page is your chum also. Treat it well and visit it often. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_fallacy

Specifically overused-by-christians-on-this-forum-fallacies:
No True ScotsmanWiki
StrawmanWiki
Moving the Goalposts
Begging the QuestionWiki

At the time of writing this you haven't been smited yet, so there's some hope there! Keep an open mind and try to take information at face value without any prejudices, and research the viewpoints for yourself rather than relying on what we tell you or your church tells you.

Hope to see you around the boards. PM me if you get stuck or want any help.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2012, 04:05:30 AM »
Hello, nice to meet you.  I am a Christian and I came to this site to have interesting discussions with interesting people.  Hope to see you in the forums.  God bless.
I was not going to reply to this thread but I just found it humorous that I have seen many a follower of Jesus come here but never a Jesus.
I hope you stick around, especially as a long term member of this forum.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2012, 09:14:46 AM »
Welcome to the forum, burnish. I would just like to reiterate what has already been said about reading/following the rules. Also, I think that it is important to establish that you may have your beliefs challenged in a manner that you are not used to. Personally, I don't feel that someone's personal beliefs deserve any special respect. For example, I wouldn't automatically put members of the BFRO (Bigfoot Field Research Organization) up on some protected pedestal of respect, just because they have "faith" that bigfoot is real. This same level of skepticism and criticism applies to anything.

That being said, welcome again, and I hope you find your time here interesting and informative.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline burnish

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #32 on: June 28, 2012, 02:58:12 AM »
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,23090.msg515933.html#msg515933

Hey there The Wannabe, and thanks.  Does that mean that everyone will consider me their chum?  :)  Will see you around friend

I will consider you my chum if you promise never to mention Pascal's Wager. Upon that event  happening, our chumness is terminated.

Welcome to the forum chum.

Hope you get your satisfaction of heated debate, raucous conversation, rum and saucy wenches.  Just don't forget that our wenches are actually the most literate and educated wenches you will  ever meet and will argue you into the dust ;)

Oh and watch out for MagicMiles, he's a bit of a masochistic theist. He's left two or three  times now, and just keeps on coming back for more.

My advice would be to not put 'God bless' on the end of your posts, as it is not particularly  relevant. We argue from literal truths and empiricism here, you may want to look up some common  logical fallacies.

This page is your chum also. Treat it well and visit it often.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_fallacy

Specifically overused-by-christians-on-this-forum-fallacies:
No True ScotsmanWiki
StrawmanWiki
Moving the  Goalposts
Begging the QuestionWiki

At the time of writing this you haven't been smited yet, so there's some hope there! Keep an  open mind and try to take information at face value without any prejudices, and research the  viewpoints for yourself rather than relying on what we tell you or your church tells you.

Hope to see you around the boards. PM me if you get stuck or want any help.

Thank you for the kind welcome, chum. :)  As I would like to stay in the chumness, I solemnly  promise not to ever use pascals wager.  I've always felt that it is an extremely weak argument.   It certainly didn't convince me before I became a Christianity.   In any case, I appreciate  your advice and I will endevour to stray from logical fallacies, which I am not fond of either.   I do have an open mind to people;  everyone has a unique perspective and something to offer,  and I learn something from everyone I meet.  Neither do I rely upon other people to feed  me..and I'll ironically use an anecdote my pastor told me. 

He was teaching a youth ministry and he had a couple of breakfast sandwiches with him.  He ate  the first one in front of everyone, and they all started squirming in their chairs a little  because they were hungry.  So he asked if anyone would like to have some, to which they all  replied yes..So he took a big bite out of the other sandwich and chewed it all up thoroughly  and then spit it onto a plate and offered it to them.  Of course everyone was grossed out by  this and refused it..and he told them that this is what they were getting fed with if they were  just relying on their pastor to interpret scripture for them.  He said sure, you could survive  on it, but that's about all you're going to do.  He taught them that they needed fresh food if they wanted to be filled and to grow and mature, which means studying and thinking for yourself.

I don't agree with my pastor about everything, but that's okay.  We're able to work together  and I even teach the mens bible study at his church.  I respect him because he teaches the  whole counsel of God.  It doesn't mean I am going to accept everything he says just because he  said it.  Any pastor worth his salt will tell you not to take their word for it, and also that if they say something that doesn't line up, to call them on it, and that's the kind of relationship he has with his church.

Anyhow, nice meeting you. :)  See you around the boards.

Offline burnish

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #33 on: June 28, 2012, 03:00:06 AM »
Hello, nice to meet you.  I am a Christian and I came to this site to have interesting  discussions with interesting people.  Hope to see you in the forums.  God bless.
I was not going to reply to this thread but I just found it humorous that I have seen many a  follower of Jesus come here but never a Jesus.

Thank you very much..Jesus comes with me where ever I go, so He is here too.  I hope to stick around, it just depends on time constraints.  See you around. :) 

Offline burnish

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #34 on: June 28, 2012, 03:00:58 AM »
Welcome to the forum, burnish. I would just like to reiterate what has already been said about  reading/following the rules. Also, I think that it is important to establish that you may have  your beliefs challenged in a manner that you are not used to. Personally, I don't feel that  someone's personal beliefs deserve any special respect. For example, I wouldn't automatically  put members of the BFRO (Bigfoot Field Research Organization) up on some protected pedestal of  respect, just because they have "faith" that bigfoot is real. This same level of skepticism and  criticism applies to anything.

That being said, welcome again, and I hope you find your time here interesting and informative.

Thank you, and no, I don't expect anyone to provide any respect for my beliefs beyond what may be due to  a fellow human being, and again, people have very different ideas about that too.  I do expect  that people will challenge me, perhaps moreso than any other place I've been on, and I'm fine  with that.  That's partly why I am here.  I am sure I find my time well spent considering the  people I've met so far. :) 

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +125/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
« Reply #35 on: July 16, 2012, 01:19:05 AM »
Hello, I, too am a newbie.  I think this will be very interesting.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline none

• Fellow
  • Darwins +11/-4
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #36 on: July 16, 2012, 06:11:17 PM »
Hello, nice to meet you.  I am a Christian and I came to this site to have interesting  discussions with interesting people.  Hope to see you in the forums.  God bless.
I was not going to reply to this thread but I just found it humorous that I have seen many a  follower of Jesus come here but never a Jesus.

Thank you very much..Jesus comes with me where ever I go, so He is here too.  I hope to stick around, it just depends on time constraints.  See you around. :)
I used to have a real friend named jesus, he went before me.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2012, 06:13:05 PM by none »

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2012, 08:48:43 AM »
Hello, I am a follower of Jesus Christ
Where's he headed?
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #38 on: July 17, 2012, 03:16:34 PM »
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);