Author Topic: What were God's last words?  (Read 3748 times)

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
Re: What were God's last words?
« Reply #29 on: June 18, 2012, 11:21:02 PM »
Personally, God's last words were nothing. Just pure silence, yet that silence, says everything.

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2012, 02:49:43 AM »
"You people have pissed me off for the last time!  You can all go to Hell!"

"You all say 'gimme this, gimme that, why don't you listen to me?'  The truth is I never really gave a shit about any of you insects, and I'm tired of pretending I did"

"I've read all of your blog posts and I'm putting you all on 'ignore'"

"I told you all not to eat the fruit, but you did it anyway.  You wanna know why I've been F-ing with you for so long?  THAT's WHY!"

"Audi 5000"

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +218/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #32 on: June 19, 2012, 04:16:11 AM »

Do you really think the scriptures come across as having been written by ignorant goat herders? If they are in fact fiction, then it is pretty impressive fiction, with some difficult to imagine collusion and organisation.

Miles, could you explain how collusion is necessary in the NT?

The books were obviously written from around 600BC and had numerous variants amongst the sects, with people redacting them for harmony and consistency. Some of the OT books were written by conflicting tribes, like the curse of Noah.

The "organisation" is because the books were kept by the priestly, and governing classes, who debated them ad nauseum. The priests derived their livelihood from people sacrificing their first-born produce, so it was an inspired protection racket. (Plenty of motivation from priests and government to fake up the documents.) There is no telling how many people wrote and thought about the OT, during the 500-600 years that it was in development.

The works of Asimov and Tolkien are pretty impressive, and that was some guys, in one lifetime, without religious motivation, or help from the next generation.

You don't have to collude to fake documents. I could re-work an Asimov book, and put prophecies into it. It's not collusion, or organization. You build a straw man.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #33 on: June 19, 2012, 09:50:14 AM »

there are lots of Christians out there who think God will be ok with what they do. They work the Sabbath,get tattoos,cheat on their spouses,have gay sex.......they still love God and Jesus and come to the conclusion God will be ok with it. They continue to live as if God is ignoring their actions,or will be ok with it in the end.

When you ask them how they justify actions,they pull the Jesus card. "Jesus died for me and all I can do is TRY to live like him....but I am not perfect like he was"  They know it  is wrong when they do it,why do they do it? (by wrong I mean in the eyes of their Lord)

Why do you do things when you know you shouldn't? I know why I do...I'm very selfish.
cant think of a thing......but then again I do not think there is a god watching everything I do. So you do things you think will be contrary to what your God commands,but do them anyways because your selfish?  How then do you think God will view it?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-2
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #34 on: June 19, 2012, 09:53:16 AM »
It shouldn't be too hard to research right? Just look at the last chapter of the OT and go backwards until you find the last thing Gawd said. Or is it all not in chronological order? I'm not a BuyBull expert.

The way the books are found in the Bible isn't the order in which they were written. It's about what you would expect if you shuffled a deck of cards.

But Malachi is the last book in the Old Testament and it was the last to be written before God took his hiatus, so BaalServant and MadBunny are correct. So rather than educating human beings before he leaves he says, and I'm paraphrasing here, "I'm sending one guy in a few thousand years to a remote backwoods place in the middle east so your one tribe will stop all the kid hating, else I fuck the entire earth up."

Yeah. Yeah, that's real wisdom.

Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #35 on: June 19, 2012, 10:05:49 AM »
Also, the stuff about barbecue.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-2
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #36 on: June 19, 2012, 10:24:15 AM »
What is a good example of extraordinary?

Proverbs.

Plagiarized from the Instructions of Amenemopet. But I agree with you that it's one of the better writings found in the Bible.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #37 on: June 19, 2012, 03:50:09 PM »

Plagiarized from the Instructions of Amenemopet. But I agree with you that it's one of the better writings found in the Bible.

I read all the wiki article. Seems to me it's open to on-going debate. It looks like the only section of manuscript which is dated prior to the earliest proverbs manuscripts contains very little.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +48/-20
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #38 on: June 19, 2012, 04:24:40 PM »
I guess everything God needs us or wants us to know is recorded in the bible, with everybody free to take notice of that or not.

What about uncontacted people in the Amazon? Why doesn't God give them the chance to know that His Word is out there?
Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #39 on: June 19, 2012, 04:29:43 PM »
I guess everything God needs us or wants us to know is recorded in the bible, with everybody free to take notice of that or not.

What about uncontacted people in the Amazon? Why doesn't God give them the chance to know that His Word is out there?

The short version:  They're fucked.

The longer version: Universal Reconciliation (generally considered heresy by most mainstream churches)
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #40 on: June 19, 2012, 04:40:43 PM »

Working on it. Google Jim Elliot.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2012, 04:46:21 PM »

Do you really think the scriptures come across as having been written by ignorant goat herders? If they are in fact fiction, then it is pretty impressive fiction, with some difficult to imagine collusion and organisation.

Miles, could you explain how collusion is necessary in the NT?

The books were obviously written from around 600BC and had numerous variants amongst the sects, with people redacting them for harmony and consistency. Some of the OT books were written by conflicting tribes, like the curse of Noah.

The "organisation" is because the books were kept by the priestly, and governing classes, who debated them ad nauseum. The priests derived their livelihood from people sacrificing their first-born produce, so it was an inspired protection racket. (Plenty of motivation from priests and government to fake up the documents.) There is no telling how many people wrote and thought about the OT, during the 500-600 years that it was in development.

The works of Asimov and Tolkien are pretty impressive, and that was some guys, in one lifetime, without religious motivation, or help from the next generation.

You don't have to collude to fake documents. I could re-work an Asimov book, and put prophecies into it. It's not collusion, or organization. You build a straw man.

And how successful would you be in re-working Asimov? Sure you could literally print some copies with your own additions, but wouldn't somebody notice?

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +48/-20
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2012, 04:48:28 PM »

Why would the creator of the universe have to spend so much time and effort working on it? I would think that every human that ever lived should have been able to know His Word. People have lived entire lives without ever coming in contact with His Word. Why?
Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #43 on: June 19, 2012, 04:53:30 PM »

Why would the creator of the universe have to spend so much time and effort working on it? I would think that every human that ever lived should have been able to know His Word. People have lived entire lives without ever coming in contact with His Word. Why?

Dunno. God has told us what He has and shown us what He has. I won't reject God's offer of salvation to me simply because I don't understand if or how He will offer it to everybody.

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #44 on: June 19, 2012, 06:51:01 PM »

Dunno. God has told us what He has and shown us what He has. I won't reject God's offer of salvation to me simply because I don't understand if or how He will offer it to everybody.

Or...you may be afraid to ask the toughest questions, and truly consider that the god you think is out there, is an imaginary character.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #45 on: June 19, 2012, 06:55:27 PM »
God's last words -

LOL

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #46 on: June 19, 2012, 06:59:26 PM »

Or...you may be afraid to ask the toughest questions, and truly consider that the god you think is out there, is an imaginary character.

I know the arguments. They aren't scary.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-2
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #47 on: June 19, 2012, 07:05:50 PM »

Yahweh the Storm God is certainly taking his time saving the human race.

We aren’t sure of the exact period of time when human beings arrived on the scene, but the general anthropological consensus of the divergence of homo sapiens and their forerunners is roughly between 100,000 – 200,000 years.[1][2][3] So this means Yahweh has witnessed human turmoil for thousands upon thousands of years and sat quietly while humans perished unaware of his existence. Only up until about 4,000 years ago did God decide he needed to divinely intervene. And what does he do? What is his big plan for salvation? He targets a small tribe in the Middle East, yells about how he’s going to murder all their enemies, writes some instructions on stone tablets for them, and explains to them how to properly sacrifice a goat.

Any thinking man or woman should question this deity’s lackluster strategy for salvation.

So after playing favorites and only speaking to one tribe in the Fertile Crescent, this god disappears for roughly 400 years. At some point during his vacation he decides to nix the goat blood offerings forgetting animal sacrifice completely, and that the only way to save the world is through a human blood sacrifice. His plan is to impregnate a virgin, bring into the world a son that is actually himself, have this son preach in one remote area of the globe, and then have himself sacrificed 30 years later… to himself. This is his big plan to spare the world from his wrath.

Another 2,000 years has passed since all this happened and there are still people around the globe that haven’t been reached- which means countless souls have been lost and will continue to be lost without ever hearing about Yahweh. We shouldn’t forget that during those 30 years he was preaching that thousands upon thousands of lives were extinguished which also could have been spared by a hastier plan.

Spreading salvation by word of mouth- I honestly can’t think of a worse plan to save the world. Though I suppose it’s smarter than drowning the entire planet...
 1. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_evolution
 2. http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=fossil-reanalysis-pushes
 3. http://humanorigins.si.edu/evidence/human-fossils/species/homo-sapiens
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 07:07:46 PM by Zankuu »

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #48 on: June 19, 2012, 07:16:59 PM »
So are you saying that if you did personally believe in God, you wouldn't worship Him because you disagree with the way He has done things?

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-2
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2012, 07:20:44 PM »
So are you saying that if you did personally believe in God, you wouldn't worship Him because you disagree with the way He has done things?

I used to be a Christian. I'm suggesting the points raised in this thread are good reasons to question this particular deity's existence, or at least its competency.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #50 on: June 19, 2012, 07:30:52 PM »
A created being questioning it's creators competency is the ultimate in deluded arrogance.

But all too prevalent. Beginning with Adam.

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #51 on: June 19, 2012, 07:36:52 PM »

I know the arguments. They aren't scary.

They don't need to be scary, they are just much simpler explanations.  No matter what story you cling to in order to continue believing, it is just another excuse to avoid the truth.  Bottom line, if there was a god, any god, there would be no atheists. 

Do you ever ask yourself why your god won't heal an amputee?  Assuming you believe he is the creator of the universe, and believe that this god has ever healed a human of any disease or other ailment, why not an amputee?

If there was an actual loving god, one who truly did create the universe, and has healed the sick and wounded, brought back people fom the dead, etc., why in the world would he not heal a single amputee?  Seriously?

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-2
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #52 on: June 19, 2012, 07:46:21 PM »
A created being questioning it's creators competency is the ultimate in deluded arrogance.

It would be arrogant of me if it were proven this god existed, like the Lucifer character in the Bible; he's well aware this deity exists yet he still rebels. Since this deity's existence can only be held in faith, I don't think it's arrogant for me to question it.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #53 on: June 19, 2012, 08:19:51 PM »

outside of the bibles (all versions) has God said anything? Why is this? Why is the only thing God has said is ONLY documented by ignorant sheep herders or Joseph Smith if you take his crazy accounts in -so as late as the late 1800's

It is like UFO's only a few people had cameras and were "lucky" enough to get a shot of a ufo....now that everybody has a camera in their pocket where are the UFO's?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #54 on: June 19, 2012, 08:21:44 PM »

They don't need to be scary, they are just much simpler explanations.  No matter what story you cling to in order to continue believing, it is just another excuse to avoid the truth.  Bottom line, if there was a god, any god, there would be no atheists. 

I could make the exact same points in reverse. But knowing God is only possible because He makes Himself known to us. We can't find Him on our own efforts and nobody becomes a Christian because they look impassionately at a ledger of evidence and conclude that the evidence for God is greater than the evidence for a world which self-created. A journey to God might start that way, but it's not possible to make the step into faith unless God makes Himself known in a way which leaves us convinced beyond any mere physical or historical evidence. That is my reality. It's a personaly conviction which I can't possibly convince anybody with - all it might ever do is cause someone to start seriously looking for God.

Do you ever ask yourself why your god won't heal an amputee?  Assuming you believe he is the creator of the universe, and believe that this god has ever healed a human of any disease or other ailment, why not an amputee?

I just don't get hung up on it. God is God and God ain't me. I do understand how that doesn't satisfy a non-Christian. It doesn't always satisfy me, but I don't get hung up on it.

If there was an actual loving god, one who truly did create the universe, and has healed the sick and wounded, brought back people fom the dead, etc., why in the world would he not heal a single amputee?  Seriously?

Would you honestly even find it compelling if it happened tomorrow?

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #55 on: June 19, 2012, 08:26:54 PM »

It would be arrogant of me if it were proven this god existed, like the Lucifer character in the Bible; he's well aware this deity exists yet he still rebels. Since this deity's existence can only be held in faith, I don't think it's arrogant for me to question it.

I meant that it is arrogant to question God when you undoubtedly know Him as God. Yes, like Lucifer. And like Adam and Eve.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #56 on: June 19, 2012, 08:30:38 PM »

outside of the bibles (all versions) has God said anything? Why is this? Why is the only thing God has said is ONLY documented by ignorant sheep herders or Joseph Smith if you take his crazy accounts in -so as late as the late 1800's

It is like UFO's only a few people had cameras and were "lucky" enough to get a shot of a ufo....now that everybody has a camera in their pocket where are the UFO's?

How much more do you want Him to say? How much, and what, and when, would be compelling to you.

Look at my response to Jetson for a slightly more in-depth response to this sort of objection.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-2
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2012, 08:32:20 PM »
I meant that it is arrogant to question God when you undoubtedly know Him as God. Yes, like Lucifer. And like Adam and Eve.

Then I agree with you, that would be arrogant. But you aren't a character in a story and, unfortunately, all you have is faith that the people you've decided to put your trust in haven't unwittingly lied to you by retelling stories they were taught to be truth.