Author Topic: What were God's last words?  (Read 3755 times)

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-2
    • I am a Forum Guide
What were God's last words?
« on: June 18, 2012, 02:35:56 PM »
What were God’s last words?

I’m not looking for scripture detailing Christ’s crucifixion on the cross- that’s standard biblical knowledge. What I’m looking for is scripture involving the last words Yahweh vocally boomed down from the sky prior to his disappearance in the Old Testament. It’s surprising this topic isn’t discussed more often in Christian circles. In fact, I had a hard time finding any piece of information even closely related to this question. I would think it was important.

Since this was Yahweh’s grandiose exit in his theatrical finale, I’m expecting an earth-shatteringly profound and enlightening message.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +208/-6
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
Re: What were God's last words?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 02:44:20 PM »

Assuming that the NT is in chronological order (which may not be a safe assumption), then his last words are in Revelation 22:20: "Surely I come quickly".   &)
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 02:45:55 PM »
It's like he just fizzled away. You know, like one of those hand held sparklers that just stop burning.

I guess it is pretty amazing that god hasn't spoke in so long, yet his influence in the world is as strong as it is. Or maybe it's just that people can be really dumb. I'm gonna go with the latter. 
I'd cut him if he stands, and I'd shoot him if he'd run
 Yes I'd kill him with my Bible and my razor and my gun

Poverty is the parent of revolution and crime.
Aristotle

Offline bgb

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • That felt great.
    • BGBART SHIRTS AND GIFTS
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 02:47:52 PM »
Oooooops!
The whole point of science is that most of it is uncertain. That's why science is exciting--because we don't know. Science is all about things we don't understand. The public, of course, imagines science is just a set of facts. But it's not.  Freeman Dyson

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-2
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 04:02:45 PM »
Assuming that the NT is in chronological order (which may not be a safe assumption), then his last words are in Revelation 22:20: "Surely I come quickly".

Scratch the NT, pianodwarf:

Quote from: Zankuu
What I’m looking for is scripture involving the last words Yahweh vocally boomed down from the sky prior to his disappearance in the Old Testament.

I'm not so much concerned with who the last OT author(s) was/were or the book that sits at the end of the chronology. I'm wanting to know, historically, what last words are attributed to the Yahweh character before his silent disappearance. I'm not familiar with the Christian answer to this, or what they think God's reasons were for doing so. Yahweh just silently packs his bags in the middle of the night and skips town.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +280/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 04:06:58 PM »
BM
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 04:09:35 PM »
"Peace out". ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2012, 04:22:33 PM »
Not sure what His final words in the OT would have been, historically. Not sure why it's especially significant, either?

God the father has words attributed to Him in the NT when Jesus was baptised.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +127/-2
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2012, 04:51:07 PM »
Not sure why it's especially significant, either?

Knowledge for knowledge's sake?

From the writings in the OT to the NT this deity is gone for over 400+ years. It's just so curiously odd. Sure, we have the author of John which has a couple scant lines attributed to Yahweh during a baptism, but this character disappears again- then, like pianodwarf mentioned, is said to make a return in thousands of years during Armageddon with speeches and hellfire... and he's all outta speeches.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 04:57:03 PM »
I guess everything God needs us or wants us to know is recorded in the bible, with everybody free to take notice of that or not.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2012, 05:43:56 PM »
Biblegod's last words were: "That's what she said!".

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2012, 06:37:06 PM »
"You see, what had happened was..." - God

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2012, 06:40:06 PM »
It shouldn't be too hard to research right? Just look at the last chapter of the OT and go backwards until you find the last thing Gawd said. Or is it all not in chronological order? I'm not a BuyBull expert.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2012, 06:53:03 PM »
I guess everything God needs us or wants us to know is recorded in the bible, with everybody free to take notice of that or not.
How is ANYTHING in the OT or NT relevant to you today MM?. Most Christians make it up as they go and have never even read these idiotic books written by a bunch of ignorant goat herders.
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline BaalServant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Praise Ba'al really hard!
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2012, 07:39:42 PM »

. . .

Since this was Yahweh’s grandiose exit in his theatrical finale, I’m expecting an earth-shatteringly profound and enlightening message.

Well, the chronological lists I could find all listed Malachi as the actual end of the OT timeline.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Malachi+1&version=NIV

It seems biblegod's last farewell in the OT was its complaining about sacrifices not being good enough. 

.   ###$$$$$$$$$$$$###
   ################
   ###  PRAISE BA'AL  ####
 #### FOR THE ALTAR ####
##### OF BA'AL!!!!!! #####
####################

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2012, 07:49:47 PM »

Interesting, I've been looking for a list of all the stuff he said, but it isn't very available.
Strange considering that you'd think the creator of the Universe would be taken fairly seriously when he talked in human.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2012, 08:02:54 PM »
Malachai 4:

5 .) Behold, I will send you Elijah the prophet before the coming of the great and dreadful day of the LORD:
6 .) And he shall turn the heart of the fathers to the children, and the heart of the children to their fathers, lest I come and smite the earth with a curse.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Malachi%204&version=KJV

So yeah... bitching about the quality of the barbecue.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline natlegend

• Reader
  • Darwins +64/-0
  • I'll bleed for my own 'sins' thank you very much
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2012, 08:24:55 PM »
"Sorry for the inconvenience"
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #18 on: June 18, 2012, 09:37:46 PM »
How is ANYTHING in the OT or NT relevant to you today MM?. Most Christians make it up as they go and have never even read these idiotic books written by a bunch of ignorant goat herders.

When you say 'most Christians make it up as they go', do you mean most Christians you have personally interacted with? Because I don't know any who do, personally. I have always attended churches which dilligently study the scriptures and teach them.

Do you really think the scriptures come across as having been written by ignorant goat herders? If they are in fact fiction, then it is pretty impressive fiction, with some difficult to imagine collusion and organisation.

As for how the scripture is relevant to me personally, I find it a wonderful reminder that God hasn't left the world to die in it's rebellion. I see the scriptures and I see truth. I'm as amazed that not everybody sees it as you all are that anybody ever does.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2012, 09:39:10 PM »
Not sure what His final words in the OT would have been, historically.

Well if a Christian doesn't know ...

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #20 on: June 18, 2012, 09:46:36 PM »
When you say 'most Christians make it up as they go', do you mean most Christians you have personally interacted with? Because I don't know any who do, personally. I have always attended churches which dilligently study the scriptures and teach them.

Every denomination of Christianity claims to study the scripture and teaches it diligently. You can go to the main denominations and look at what they believe and they will all claim the bible is the word of god, and will all claim to teach and live by that word. Obviously, out of all the denominations only one person can be right since (as I believe) the bible is supposed to be inerrant.

Do you really think the scriptures come across as having been written by ignorant goat herders? If they are in fact fiction, then it is pretty impressive fiction, with some difficult to imagine collusion and organisation.

Perhaps very creative, ignorant goat herders is a better way to describe the writers of the books in the bible.

-M
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 09:47:11 PM »
mm - the goat herders analogy is really meant to remind people that the writers were from a time where humans knew very little about the world.  I mean, seriously, they had no idea they were standing on a planet.  They had no concept of bacteria, microbiology (thus plagues were common), etc.

Yes, they were extremely ignorant compared to modern knowledge.  And it is likely that today;s humans will seem that way as well given enough time.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2012, 09:51:19 PM »
Not sure what His final words in the OT would have been, historically.

Well if a Christian doesn't know ...

...it means he's probably a bit lazy.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2012, 09:53:15 PM »
mm - the goat herders analogy is really meant to remind people that the writers were from a time where humans knew very little about the world.  I mean, seriously, they had no idea they were standing on a planet.  They had no concept of bacteria, microbiology (thus plagues were common), etc.

Yes, they were extremely ignorant compared to modern knowledge.  And it is likely that today;s humans will seem that way as well given enough time.

true enough, but I think that makes the Bible extraordinary, even if viewed as fiction.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #24 on: June 18, 2012, 09:56:25 PM »
...it means he's probably a bit lazy.

Lazy for the LORD?

He's watching ....

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2012, 10:02:50 PM »

true enough, but I think that makes the Bible extraordinary, even if viewed as fiction.

What is a good example of extraordinary?

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2012, 10:13:30 PM »

As for how the scripture is relevant to me personally, I find it a wonderful reminder that God hasn't left the world to die in it's rebellion. I see the scriptures and I see truth. I'm as amazed that not everybody sees it as you all are that anybody ever does.
there are lots of Christians out there who think God will be ok with what they do. They work the Sabbath,get tattoos,cheat on their spouses,have gay sex.......they still love God and Jesus and come to the conclusion God will be ok with it. They continue to live as if God is ignoring their actions,or will be ok with it in the end.

When you ask them how they justify actions,they pull the Jesus card. "Jesus died for me and all I can do is TRY to live like him....but I am not perfect like he was"  They know it  is wrong when they do it,why do they do it? (by wrong I mean in the eyes of their Lord)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 10:16:15 PM by 12 Monkeys »
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2012, 10:56:03 PM »

What is a good example of extraordinary?

Proverbs.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #28 on: June 18, 2012, 10:58:51 PM »

there are lots of Christians out there who think God will be ok with what they do. They work the Sabbath,get tattoos,cheat on their spouses,have gay sex.......they still love God and Jesus and come to the conclusion God will be ok with it. They continue to live as if God is ignoring their actions,or will be ok with it in the end.

When you ask them how they justify actions,they pull the Jesus card. "Jesus died for me and all I can do is TRY to live like him....but I am not perfect like he was"  They know it  is wrong when they do it,why do they do it? (by wrong I mean in the eyes of their Lord)

Why do you do things when you know you shouldn't? I know why I do...I'm very selfish.