Author Topic: Pillow talk  (Read 1349 times)

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
Pillow talk
« on: June 16, 2012, 08:18:48 PM »
So now that I've got your attention let's talk about pillows.

Why is it that all pillows suck?

[1]

For the past 5-7 years I've been searching for the perfect pillow. I've spent countless money on so many pillows I'm certain to own at least 30 pillows right now. (I never throw them away because what if the new one sucks worse than the old one and I wanna go back to use the old one?!?!)

So, some back story. When I was a young girl my grandmother gave me this perfect memory foam pillow. This was at the begining of the memory foam craze and I'm certain this particular memory foam is no longer made. Trust me! In comparison this new memory foam shit is crap[2]!

Over the years my beloved pillow has been dying a slow death. I tried my best to help it live as long as possible but it finally developed a lump that could not be cured. It's now resting peacefully in the closet with all my other treasured relics.

But I sincerely wish to find a new pillow that doesn't suck. I'm so tired of my neck hurting all the time and not getting a solid nights sleep. After the countless hours of testing pillows at the store, and all the wasted money, I've come to the conclusion that these pillow manufactures make these sucky pillows so you will keep buying more sucky pillows. I'm convinced there's a conspiracy and that every brand of pillow manufacture is in this together to prevent us from ever finding the perfect pillow[3]. The must have realized that the pillow my grandma gave me lasted far too long and that they would go out of business if pillows of it's equal were made.

Am I the only one with this issue? Is there truly a perfect pillow out there waiting for me to find it? If you know if it's whereabouts please let me know. Thank you for your time and I hope you have enjoyed this ill-constructed thread.

I really feel like Goldilocks trying to find the perfect pillow... Long gone are the days I wake up feeling "just right".

1. This is what my pillows look like.
 2. If you have seen the episode of South Park “You’re Getting Old” that's the type of crap I'm talking about. These new memory foam pillows suck that bad!
 3. It would be a bad business decision to make a pillow that truly last 10 years like my former pillow did.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: Pillow talk
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 08:33:06 PM »
You definitely got my attention!  So, is it possible to make your own?  I've never looked into it, but maybe it could be done?

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 08:39:12 PM »
I can sew well enough to stuff a pillow but I haven't the slightest idea what to stuff it with. I suppose I am rather picky, not to firm, not to soft, can't go flat, can't bunch up all on one side, should have some give but also still have support... Also if it came with a permanent cold feature that would be awesome.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 08:43:59 PM »
What about a "chambered" approach inside?  I'm thinking you could research pillow stuffing, and then consider chambering the interior, so whatever stuffing is used can't migrate too far from its chamber.  Just a thought.  Might be tough to sew!

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2012, 08:53:31 PM »
Perhaps, my friend can sew better than me maybe I can commision her to make me one. I do prefer memory foam, but I've spent a lot of money on those and they seem to either be too hard or go flat. Maybe I just have a big head.  :o

On a side note does anyone else want to detach their arms at bed time? I seriously can't find a place for those blasted things! They get in the way and constantly wake me up!

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2012, 08:56:41 PM »
I quite literally have a half dozen or more pillows on my bed at any one time. Sometimes I want soft. With a migraine I need several pillows propping me up with the top one firm. Sometimes I want medium. And I've never found any single pillow, or combination of pillows that allows me to sleep comfortably without a stiff neck. I literally feel your pain. And if you find the solution, I do hope you'll share.

And yes to the arm problem.  ;D
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 09:08:33 PM »
I too require more than one pillow. The bottom pillows are mostly for support and positioning. They keep the top pillow from moving around at night. I can use those cheap pillows from Walmart/Taget for my bottom pillows, depending on how flat they get I use up to three at one time, plus my leg pillow[1]. It's the top pillow that I'm searching for. About a month ago I went crazy and spent almost $50 on a pillow. It's a big disappointment. I'd spend more money thinking it will get better but I doubt it would.

At this point I wonder if it's not the pillows and maybe something is wrong with my neck. But I've never had an injury to it so I can only suspect it's my bed and poor back support in my work chair. My neck literally feels like my head is a bowling ball. It hurts at the point where my neck meets the bottom of my head and then radiates down in varying degrees of pain. If I don't constantly pop it the pressure build up is awful!

Sorry about your migraines Traveler, I get those at times, though they have gotten better over the years instead of worse so I'm happy about that! When that happens I have to have a hot shower and sleep, usually straight on the mattress with no pillow.
 1. Which is perfect for a leg pillow. It does it's job rather nicely

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2012, 10:00:23 PM »
I sleep on my stomach and turn my head to the side all the way with no pillow.

Weird huh?

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2012, 10:01:36 PM »
I sleep on my stomach and turn my head to the side all the way with no pillow.

Weird huh?

Nope, not weird at all. I used to prefer sleeping on my stomach. These days, the twisted neck tends to trigger headaches, so I sleep on my side. I hate getting older. :(
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2012, 10:03:48 PM »
Nope, not weird at all.

That's nice to know!

I used to prefer sleeping on my stomach. These days, the twisted neck tends to trigger headaches, so I sleep on my side. I hate getting older. :(

It bothered my neck for a while and I told myself to stop, but I went back to it. I just got used to it for years and now I can't sleep any other way.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2012, 10:22:57 PM »
NO PILLOW? That's so unnatural! What were you thinking!?!?

Seriously though, I imagine the withdrawal process would be painful. I can't imagine life with out a pillow! I was watching the baby sleep the other day and I wondered if she was old enough for a pillow yet.[1] But that got me wondering, " Why did we start using pillows, at what age was I indoctrinated to my first pillow and could I stop?"

That thought was rather fleeting as it never actually occurred to me to just not use a pillow. I'm pretty sure that would be harder to quit than cigarettes, or caffeine. Maybe I should start a support group, and get outside help for this addiction of mine?
 1. She's not.

Offline stuffin

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2012, 10:35:28 PM »
I empathize, but pillows are like cars, they get old and wear out (sometimes quicker then we wish).

We recently purchased new pillows, they were perfect, soft, yet firm enough to provide adequate support. Two weeks later they were like popped balloons and I haven't been comfortable since.

I also require a body pillow stuffed between my legs and to fold my arm(s) over. These are usually decent and last awhile, but those damn pillows for your head are like looking for Mr Goodbar.

I use to be able to sleep squarely on my back with the pillow on its edge. The pillow would form up around the side of my head (ears) and I would drift away into the sleep world. Now that I am older and my body parts function differently (sciatica, carpal tunnel, arthritis) it becomes more difficult to get comfortable in preparing for sleep.

AHHH for a good pillow!!!!
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2012, 11:02:02 PM »
I empathize, but pillows are like cars, they get old and wear out (sometimes quicker then we wish).

We recently purchased new pillows, they were perfect, soft, yet firm enough to provide adequate support. Two weeks later they were like popped balloons and I haven't been comfortable since.

LMFAO!!! EXACTLY!! IF and I mean IF you do find one that seems to finally be the good one, it's dead in two weeks!!! They are conspiring so you will go back and buy a new pillow every two weeks!! I think we should write our senators.

I also require a body pillow stuffed between my legs and to fold my arm(s) over. These are usually decent and last awhile, but those damn pillows for your head are like looking for Mr Goodbar.

The only place I know to buy a Mr Goodbar is in the Hersey bag of minis.

I use to be able to sleep squarely on my back with the pillow on its edge. The pillow would form up around the side of my head (ears) and I would drift away into the sleep world. Now that I am older and my body parts function differently (sciatica, carpal tunnel, arthritis) it becomes more difficult to get comfortable in preparing for sleep.

AHHH for a good pillow!!!!

I'm a side/stomach sleeper. The only time I could sleep on my back is when I was pregnant and that was only out of necessity[1]! The older I get the less I enjoy actually sleeping. It really hurts my body! I wake up feeling all stiff as a board, my joints hurt, and I never feel rested!

I'm only 27 so I feel as though I'm fighting a losing battle. Is it too early to wave the white flag? LOL
 1. Actually now that I think about it that is a lie. If you're pregnant don't sleep on your back. It apparently pinches some nerve or artery and prevents the baby from getting a proper supply. So, don't say I read it on WWGHA so it must be okay!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 11:06:32 PM by Kimberly »

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2012, 11:04:43 PM »
This was at the begining of the memory foam craze and I'm certain this particular memory foam is no longer made.

It was probably made of asbestos, lead and radium.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2012, 11:08:03 PM »
It was probably made of asbestos, lead and radium.

Do you know a good supplier?  ;)

Offline Mooby

• Reader
  • Darwins +75/-24
  • So it goes.
    • Is God Imaginary?
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2012, 11:24:35 PM »
$4 synthetic down works great for me.
"I'm doing science and I'm still alive."--J.C.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +270/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 02:24:04 AM »
On a side note does anyone else want to detach their arms at bed time? I seriously can't find a place for those blasted things! They get in the way and constantly wake me up!

(raises hand)  I'm always putting My shoulders in harm's way by stuffing one arm or the other under the pillow in an attempt to get comfortable, or tucking one or both hands behind My head (which is really bad for the elbows, and causes various fingers to fall asleep)

On the subject of pillows, I currently have one (recent-vintage) memory foam pillow, and a lumpy, misshapen mound of artificial down (from artificial geese, perchance?)  My daughter swears by the pillows that have gel cores; I may try one of those, or go back to a real goose down pillow.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline lomolo

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 03:29:08 AM »
I'm reading The Lord of the Rings again and they just slept on a bed made of moss and feathers. Sounds good to me  ;D

I also do what HAL does, and sleep on my stomach with no pillow. I got too used to it sleeping on my desk in high school and now a pillow just feels terrible.

Online rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 08:22:18 AM »
I've never tried or looked at any reviews for this one but it must be good.  300 years in the making, based off ancient Chinese secrets or something like that.  Finally a place to rest your bowling ball.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Sniomhaiche

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Carfree 4 years & counting
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 10:25:19 AM »
I'm a side sleeper.  Hubby is a stomach sleeper.  There are companies that make side-sleeper and back-sleeper pillows.  The difference is really in how the stuffing is positioned/channeled and at what density.  I was able to try out few different ones at a mattress store.  I loved them! However, until I can go a week w/o night sweats, I refuse to place down $$ for a pillow and the pillow case protectors are noisy to lay on (lots of crinkly sounds all night).  I currently just replace my pillow every 3-4 weeks with a soft pillow, about $3-5 at any department store and use a travel neck pillow hugged to my chest to keep my neck straighter. It keeps me from snoring as much, also.  So less stiff necks and headaches in the morning.
What schools need is a moment of Science.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 11:17:32 AM »
I just had to throw this in.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2012, 01:08:09 PM »
rev45

I think we saw that pillow in the store and it was made out of these little bitty balls, millions of them. I'm not sure if you ever had a stuffed animal that was stuffed with this material or not but I had several from Disney. I can't remember what the name of the character now but any ways... they use this almost spandex type material to hold the beads in. Over time that spandex material loses it's shape or form and they go flat.

When I saw that pillow on TV it reminded me of the old toy I had. I was confident if I bought that pillow it too would go flat. Well when we were looking at it in the store it was already flat. I haven't read reviews on it but from what I can tell it's just a more clever version of a crappy pillow.

Thanks for taking the time to find a suggestion though, I do appreciate it.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2012, 01:09:43 PM »
$4 synthetic down works great for me.

Do stuff your own pillows or just replace them often when they go flat?

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2012, 01:14:30 PM »
(raises hand)  I'm always putting My shoulders in harm's way by stuffing one arm or the other under the pillow in an attempt to get comfortable, or tucking one or both hands behind My head (which is really bad for the elbows, and causes various fingers to fall asleep)

Yea me too. Waking up with an arm that seems to weigh 10 tons is so annoying!

On the subject of pillows, I currently have one (recent-vintage) memory foam pillow, and a lumpy, misshapen mound of artificial down (from artificial geese, perchance?)  My daughter swears by the pillows that have gel cores; I may try one of those, or go back to a real goose down pillow.

Gel cores you say? I vaguely think we have attempted those but will have to research it again to make sure. It sounds cool enough to give it a try.

I'm pretty sure my allergies didn't like the real feather pillows. I also think I tried one and it stabbed me all the time, not a fan. I also think we tried the synthetic ones and that they went flat.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +119/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2012, 01:35:42 PM »

I'd suggest looking at specialty pillows, for example the ones for pregnant, or for side sleepers, or a place that has multiple grades of memory foam.  It does come in different densities and elasticity.

Other than that you're just going to have to go around and keep trying till you find one with the same properties as your old one.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2012, 01:46:52 PM »
I have found that a wadded up comforter does the trick nicely. Wadded up old clothes, bed sheets or rolled up jeans work well too.

Good luck
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2012, 03:39:23 PM »
or a place that has multiple grades of memory foam.  It does come in different densities and elasticity.

Do you know where do go find such pillows? I don't know of a pillow store and the current places I shop aren't that specific.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2012, 03:40:13 PM »
I have found that a wadded up comforter does the trick nicely. Wadded up old clothes, bed sheets or rolled up jeans work well too.

Good luck

That sounds so odd it may work. Ahh I can imagine it now, the cool side of a sleeping bad rolled up in to a pillow!

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +119/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2012, 06:26:39 PM »
or a place that has multiple grades of memory foam.  It does come in different densities and elasticity.

Do you know where do go find such pillows? I don't know of a pillow store and the current places I shop aren't that specific.

Well, I don't know where you live. 
But if you lived where I live this would work: http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/top-lists/best-bedding-stores-and-shops-in-los-angeles/
There are easily 20 stores in the SF Valley that I could go to, but not knowing what you want, wouldn't be able to find it for you.

Honestly I think you just need to make a trip to all the bed and bath places around you till you find one that has what you want.
As a side effect you'll probably learn about the different densities of foam, and next time be able to order one online for less.

Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.