Author Topic: Why are you taking such a risk?  (Read 865 times)

Offline created atheist

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Why are you taking such a risk?
« on: June 15, 2012, 01:17:04 PM »
To atheists who chose the 'red' (Would worship)

why would you intentionally deny god, any gods, or bible god when you don't know 100% on their non-existence?

don't you wanna at least be honest and play safe in reality?

Online pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
Re: Why are you taking such a risk?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 01:20:54 PM »

why would you intentionally deny god, any gods, or bible god when you don't know 100% on their non-existence?

Pascal's Wager ain't gonna fly here, friend.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline eye over you

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-0
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 01:25:02 PM »

Geez! Because with that logic, why not worship every god concocted by man and worship all of them "just in case?"
Don't let your mouth write checks that your ass can't cash.

Offline Aceluffy

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 01:27:40 PM »
It is not a risk.

Remember, we are choosing an action based on a hypothetical scenario. In this scenario, it is shown and proven that the biblegod exists, so there's no point in denying something that exists, it's as pointless as denying gravity.

I would still hate the pompous jerk, but I will always put my self preservation first. I look at it this way, I like to help people but I can't do it if I'm roasting in hell for eternity. So I'd rather worship the fucker while plotting a rebellion to free all you guys who pressed the blue button.

If we were made in His image, then why aren't humans invisible too?

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 01:32:03 PM »
Simple. Once you choose a God you're denying all those other gods worship and you're going to piss them all off. Regardless of what you do, there's going to be several gods out there who don't like what you're doing. There's no such thing as a 'safe' option. The afterlife is a game of lottery, as skeptics, we just go by what we can know rather than take wild guesses and hope we win. It'd say there's a higher probability that we'll become wormfood and it's considerably a lot better than some of the alternative ideas out there, so if it turns out I am right, I don't think I lose. The reason I wouldn't have lost is because I will have lived my life the best I could, because that's what I plan on doing knowing that when I die...I'm dead. So I live for this life and not waste it in worship for the miniscule possibility that I win the lottery.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 01:33:37 PM by Seppuku »
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline created atheist

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 01:38:40 PM »
Then your stance(actively denying all and any gods)will piss off all gods in the universe.
Not a single god will be there to help you. ;)

Why don't you buy at least one lotto ticket?

one percent is better than zero percent
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 01:40:33 PM by created atheist »

Online pianodwarf

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +206/-5
  • Je bois ton lait frappé
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 01:40:06 PM »
Then your stance(actively denying all and any gods)will piss off all gods in the universe.
Not a single god will help you. ;)

Unless there is only one god, and he/she/it punishes those who believe in it, and rewards those who don't.

Fail.
[On how kangaroos could have gotten back to Australia after the flood]:  Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water? --Kenn

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 01:46:50 PM »

I see. Pick one and keep your fingers crossed it's the right one. Not really much of statement of faith is it?
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 02:09:16 PM »

I don't know about you, but I've never been able to choose to believe something. My shirt is pink. I cannot choose to believe it is blue. When I look up in the sky, or in a telescope, I see nothing but stars and planets and clouds. I cannot choose to believe there's a god out there "somewhere," anymore than I can choose to believe that dragons are flying up there in the clouds. That's not how belief works. I could pretend, but why bother? Its absurd to go through life pretending to be someone you're not.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +813/-5
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2012, 02:34:25 PM »
Okay. I'm game.  :angel:

Which god(s) should I choose to believe in? And what should I base my choice on? Oldest faith? Newest faith? Most members? Fastest growing? Nicest god? Meanest god? Prettiest god? Best heaven? Worst hell?

Since none have any evidence.... &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Aspie

• Graduate
  • Darwins +34/-0
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2012, 02:46:28 PM »
I would hardly call surrendering reality to some inane, unsubstantiated concept to be "playing it safe". If one only assesses risk based on unverifiable, unfalsifiable consequences then anything could be considered safe.

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +98/-1
  • You know
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2012, 03:10:27 PM »

I can't help but deny the existence of god if I'm being intellectually honest.  This is the position that I've reached based on the evidence available to me.  The hypothetical scenario posed in the other thread poses the question of what I would do if the evidence were different.

I really don't see why it should be so confusing that I would behave differently if I had a completely different view about reality.

Two things.

If I'm being honest with myself, I don't believe in god.  It would be dishonest for me to worship a being that I don't believe in.  It wouldn't be me playing safe.  It'd be a lie.

As others have pointed out, people have conceived of all sorts of gods and goddesses throughout our history.  There is no way to "play safe" unless you want to arbitrarily privilege the potential truth of one particular religion.
Nah son...

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2012, 03:13:16 PM »

Simple answer: Because I am not that lucky to be worshiping the right god, and I don't want to run the risk of worshiping a god and wasting my entire life living how this god wants me to live based on what a pastor who claims to have some direct contact with it says.

When you buy a lottery ticket and lose all you are doing is losing some amount of money for a short period of time. When it comes to all the major religions you are required to worship this god your entire life. It just sounds like a waste of a life to worship a god who have not left its creation any evidence for its existence.

-M
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 03:22:39 PM »

I have a lottery ticket, the prize is "live my life to the fullest and die and have no afterlife" (and I can make the former happen) and I lose the risk of, "waste my life in worship and die without having really lived". I'd say 'lottery ticket', but it seems to be the most realistic option. However, anybody who spends living their life for somebody else may find on their deathbed that it's all a lie and those years spent not doing things because they were considered sinful or spending so much time in prayer or in church that it was all actually a waste of time. I'd say the probability is much, much, much lower than 1% that one specific version of a specific God exists and has one specific set of requirements for entry. I'd say the odds that we're worm food is much higher, because the lack of evidence for all the others adds validity to the idea that nothing happens when you die.

There's versions of heaven I would be permitted to join so long as I remain a good person, given I like being a good person and it makes me happy in this life, if it turns out that God rewards 'good' people with heaven, regardless of faith (as a Christian friend believes) then I've still got a golden ticket.

But I could just make up any old statement, for example, "eat dog poo, because if you don't you will have your face eaten off by zombie Saddam Hussein in your sleep", it's a ludicrous claim, but would you eat dog poo just in case I'm right? My claim has no less validity than that of any claims about the afterlife as each have the same amount of evidence to back it up. I'm sure you don't want your face eaten off by zombie Saddam in your sleep. Does that mean you're going to eat dog poo?
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 03:24:15 PM »
CA, what if there's a real god who punishes theistic belief with eternal torture, while rewarding lifelong skepticism with eternal bliss?

Prove it's not so.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2012, 03:27:09 PM »
To add, what if the devil wrote all of the world's religions to confuse man into taking the wrong path to salvation and that God has granted us with the gift of critical thinking in order to save us from the devil's trickery and as sceptics and as atheists we're actually working our way into salvation by avoiding the devil's trickery?

This is something I've often wondered, so thanks for reminding me.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2012, 03:29:17 PM »
To add, what if the devil wrote all of the world's religions to confuse man into taking the wrong path to salvation and that God has granted us with the gift of critical thinking in order to save us from the devil's trickery and as sceptics and as atheists we're actually working our way into salvation by avoiding the devil's trickery?

Now you're just speaking nonsense.  ;)
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2012, 03:32:54 PM »
CA can't respond because he was banned. Five times.

What kind of person is told they are unwelcome somewhere, yet, returns over and over again? It's what restraining orders were invented for, I guess. 

You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +267/-31
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2012, 03:34:07 PM »
The Kymer troll again?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2012, 04:17:59 PM »

Now you're just speaking nonsense.  ;)

Lol, that's what I love about baseless claims, I can just make them up and they have equal validity. Though I dread to think that one day somebody may take them seriously and start a religion out of it.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2012, 04:46:27 PM »
How about taking it the other way.  Instead of believing in some mysterious sky daddy just because what if the entire planet said..."Stop, we have had enough...either show yourself (God that is) or get out of our way.  We have had enough of this nonsense."  What kind of a god plays hide and seek with its creation?  What's it going to do?  Send all of us to hell?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2012, 05:15:31 PM »

Actually, if I were a god, and I created a species to be highly intelligent, highly curious, and highly functional in terms of changing their environment, I'd expect them to be productive leaders rather than blind followers.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +256/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012, 05:19:26 PM »

Actually, I would be more inclined to help people who didn't believe in Me at all, but who tried to make the world a more pleasant place for themselves and others.

If someone believed in Me out of fear, or treated Me like a lottery ticket jackpot... Now *that* would piss Me off.  ;)  I wouldn't send them to Hell, though; I'd just sigh heavily and look askance at them.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2012, 05:49:38 PM »

My belief went through a long convoluted process where I kept applying reason and logic. So biblegod went away and I focused on the Creator. I came to the understanding that no existing religion has come at all close to describing what the real Creator would be.

Once I understood what the real Creator would be, I looked for evidence. The only evidence I found was for a malevolent god, not the Creator. Could either (or both) exist? Yes. But only the malevolent god would be unhappy with me - maybe.

Or maybe either one understands me, us, better than you can comprehend and it knows that we are who we are supposed to be.

Have you ever considered that you are worshipping a small insignificant shadow of the Creator?
(Yes, I know he can't reply.)
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

Offline kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +380/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012, 03:41:17 AM »
If a god or goddess is portrayed as being obsessed with garnering human worship to the extent of threatening to torture humans eternally when such worship is not forthcoming, this in itself is evidence that the (alleged) entity in question is not a divine super-spirit of the Universe.  In the same way and for the same reason that few if any humans concern themselves greatly with receiving adoration from lemurs or katydids, any entity that is vastly superior to humans would likely have commensurately superior concerns and interests.  Seeking status among humans is a human concern; the presence of wealthy clergymen (and they're almost always men) serving in grandiose places of worship provides a perfectly explicable source for the notion of deities as ultimate status-seekers.  It is, after all, the clergies (and other humans, such as political rulers supported by religious establishments), rather than any deities, who benefit from the wealth and power garnered from human worshipers.  Surely, no real deity who was interested in collecting earthly wealth and human status would tolerate the presence of such presumptuous middle-men! 
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina