Author Topic: Let me introduce myself...  (Read 1432 times)

Offline JohnKurwa

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • why you no open minded?
Let me introduce myself...
« on: June 15, 2012, 06:54:23 AM »
Hi,

I'm a 20 years old Swiss guy and have been atheist ever since I can remember.. Nevertherless, I'm not quite sure if there is some thing like "destiny" and stuff which my have some influence to us. Sometimes I think, that not everything can happen just as a coincidence. But yeah, as I said, I am not sure how exactly I should describe this. What I can say: I do not believe that there is a God in any ways you can imagine, it just makes no sense to me that there is an omnipotent "whatsoever" who created the universe an now don't even sends an e-mail to us...

What disturbs me the most is that many Christians take the bible for word-for-word and the institution church. Why do you need a pope with a golden cross you can look up to if there is an omnipotent God? Just makes no sense...

Yah, well, that's about me ;D.
practice what you preach!

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
Re: Let me introduce myself...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 07:20:35 AM »
Welcome. Hope you enjoy the discussions.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 07:35:35 AM »
Welcome to the forums.  I think you will find lots of smart and interesting people here.  And quite a few in your time zone!

If you are looking for a place to flush out your thoughts about "destiny" or anything in the realm of the supernatural, I think that you will find yourself being asked to define and defend any statements.   It might be an interesting exercise, but I warn you, many of the rational thinkers here sometimes swarm in and attack from all directions.  Might want to get your feet wet in other discussions before starting a thread on that topic.

In any case, I think you'll find yourself entertained, informed and stimulated here. 

Offline JohnKurwa

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 08:03:37 AM »
Welcome. Hope you enjoy the discussions.

Hi, thanks. Ya, I'va already enjoyed many of them by just reading ;).

Welcome to the forums.  I think you will find lots of smart and interesting people here.  And quite a few in your time zone!

If you are looking for a place to flush out your thoughts about "destiny" or anything in the realm of the supernatural, I think that you will find yourself being asked to define and defend any statements.   It might be an interesting exercise, but I warn you, many of the rational thinkers here sometimes swarm in and attack from all directions.  Might want to get your feet wet in other discussions before starting a thread on that topic.

In any case, I think you'll find yourself entertained, informed and stimulated here. 

Hi, thanks too. Mh, the problem, or maybe it is an advantage, is that I am not really certain of what destiny is if it exists and so on. I think I am going to make a thread on this as then all of you can post your thinkings and so maybe help me ;).

I would apreciate such "attacks" as I had to defend my points of view and then maybe see that I am wrong or that I made some fallacies..

Well, I will see ..

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 08:16:54 AM »
Welcome to the forums! I've got a friend from Switzerland (she originates from Geneva), but I've never been there myself. 

Anyways, I am sure you will find this place informative, we occassionally get Christians here and you might find it interesting to engage in discussion with them, we often get the literal types you've mentioned and we also get those who are just so addicted to us that they can't even leave, isn't that right magicmiles?  :P

Either way, discussion here can be pretty vigorous and I am sure you will enjoy it and get something out of it and also get to talk to some like minded folks.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline JohnKurwa

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 08:34:35 AM »
Welcome to the forums! I've got a friend from Switzerland (she originates from Geneva), but I've never been there myself. 

Anyways, I am sure you will find this place informative, we occassionally get Christians here and you might find it interesting to engage in discussion with them, we often get the literal types you've mentioned and we also get those who are just so addicted to us that they can't even leave, isn't that right magicmiles?  :P

Either way, discussion here can be pretty vigorous and I am sure you will enjoy it and get something out of it and also get to talk to some like minded folks.

Thanks!

I have seen some debates, it is exactly the same when I am trying to debate with christians in real life :) mostly it leads to nothing (often because of ignorance or not wanting to admit something).

I did not know that forums like this existed, I've always thought that there are i.e. in my country just the christians and some scattered atheists, but it seems like there are some more!

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2012, 09:07:49 AM »
There's plenty of us infecting the world, don't you worry. :) Even if compared to the numbers of theists out there we are a small minority.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2012, 02:17:13 PM »
Hello and welcome aboard!!!  ;D  There are actually quite a few of us non-believers, and I'm glad you've found your way here to meet a few of us. :)
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2012, 04:30:46 PM »
Hi welcome to the forum.

I like your reason for being here. It too is why I'm here. I don't think your will find a better place on the internet to explore your own world views. I hope you enjoy your stay.
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline JohnKurwa

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2012, 06:38:54 AM »
There's plenty of us infecting the world, don't you worry. :) Even if compared to the numbers of theists out there we are a small minority.

:D yeah, which is actually what surprises me..

Hello and welcome aboard!!!  ;D  There are actually quite a few of us non-believers, and I'm glad you've found your way here to meet a few of us. :)

Thanks, yep fortunately there are some others  ;D , I'm glad too that I found this 'gathering of disbelievers' :D

Hi welcome to the forum.

I like your reason for being here. It too is why I'm here. I don't think your will find a better place on the internet to explore your own world views. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Hi, thanks.  :) Yep, I'm going to try to describe what I meant with this "destiny" stuff.. think it'll be interesting to see the reactions

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2012, 10:01:30 PM »
Welcome, join the fun out there!

Offline RNS

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
  • Diplomat
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2012, 12:29:41 PM »
Welcome mate, hope you have a pleasant journey here.

May I ask how you arrived at "JohnKurwa" as your forum name?
love and truth and love of truth

Offline BaalServant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Praise Ba'al really hard!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2012, 01:14:28 PM »
WHY U KNOW JOIN THE FORUM SOONER??!!1?!!!!1!

: )  Welcome to the forum, man. 
.   ###$$$$$$$$$$$$###
   ################
   ###  PRAISE BA'AL  ####
 #### FOR THE ALTAR ####
##### OF BA'AL!!!!!! #####
####################

Offline JohnKurwa

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2012, 05:17:30 AM »
Welcome mate, hope you have a pleasant journey here.

May I ask how you arrived at "JohnKurwa" as your forum name?

Hey, thanks. I am already having a 'pleasant journey'  :D

You may  :P Well, a friend of mine in economic school used to yell "caraiu" if he was angry. Caralho, which is portuguese means d*ck, but he did not pronounce it properly so we used to say "caraiu" and it was kind of a "running gag" (don't ask, we were 14-16 there  ;D). This then evolved to Kurwa (which means b*tch in polish, but it is more used like "fuck" as an interjection), I don't know how and why but it did. And well John, John is just a "regular/standard" name for me and i *needed* a prename so I used to name myself johncaraiu or johnkurwa in the internet as an "internet name" (what's the proper/better expression for this? I forgot...).

Well, you don't have to understand, this came up quite a long time ago and it got tradition so I keep on as it reminds me of the good time we had there.

Sorry for telling my life story  ;D ;D.

WHY U KNOW JOIN THE FORUM SOONER??!!1?!!!!1!

: )  Welcome to the forum, man. 

I don't always join a forum, but when I do it's a good one ;D

:D thanks!

Offline Gracie

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2012, 09:40:23 AM »
It's nice to meet you, JohnKurma!  Welcome!

You're among kindred spirits.

Offline RNS

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
  • Diplomat
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2012, 07:19:18 AM »
I see, I see.

This then evolved to Kurwa (which means b*tch in polish, but it is more used like "fuck" as an interjection), I don't know how and why but it did.

Just so you know though, kurwa doesn't mean b*tch in Polish, there is another word for that entirely[1]. It means "whore", but, as you said, depending on the context it can be used as "f*ck"[2], which is the more common use for the word (since it tends to come up in conversation a lot more than prostitutes do).
 1. although I will correct your current Polish vocab, I shan't teach you new polish curse words
 2. and also "f*cking", but there are some intricacies which mean it would be hard to explain when and how you could use it this way
love and truth and love of truth

Offline JohnKurwa

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 09:53:24 AM »
I see, I see.

This then evolved to Kurwa (which means b*tch in polish, but it is more used like "fuck" as an interjection), I don't know how and why but it did.

Just so you know though, kurwa doesn't mean b*tch in Polish, there is another word for that entirely[1]. It means "whore", but, as you said, depending on the context it can be used as "f*ck"[2], which is the more common use for the word (since it tends to come up in conversation a lot more than prostitutes do).
 1. although I will correct your current Polish vocab, I shan't teach you new polish curse words
 2. and also "f*cking", but there are some intricacies which mean it would be hard to explain when and how you could use it this way

Well then I was not told properly :). But thanks for correcting and the additional information.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2012, 06:17:52 AM »
I see, I see.

It was also one of the only Polish words my son managed to pick up on his recent trip there. Mainly at the soccer stadium, where he was lucky enough to score a seat to the opening game of the European cup.

Offline JohnKurwa

• Freshman
  • Darwins +3/-0
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2012, 07:40:24 AM »
I see, I see.

It was also one of the only Polish words my son managed to pick up on his recent trip there. Mainly at the soccer stadium, where he was lucky enough to score a seat to the opening game of the European cup.

It is not meant in an insulting way, in my opinion it just sounds funny and I like other languages, sure there are better words to use but as I stated, just a bit of tradition and reminds me of old times ;).

Happy he could get a seat  ;).

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2012, 06:21:46 PM »
Welcome, JK.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius