Poll

Which button would you push?

Press the red button to worship god.
26 (54.2%)
Press the blue button to accept eternal torture.
22 (45.8%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Author Topic: Poll - If Biblegod was shown to exist, Would you worship or Burn Forever?  (Read 4287 times)

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
I hadn't the time to mention, but I'm blue all the way!  8)

I'd rather die and burn as myself than bow down to the creation of such bull.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
This is the image that flashes in my mind every time I think of you blue button pushers.  ;)

Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +222/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
Red. 

Funny thing is, I would say blue if you asked me right now.  But I would change to red within a minute of starting the burning.  I know I would.  I've seen the effects of torture.  Hell, I'd push whatever button you wanted after the burning started.
Then  it's a heck alot of risk (being an athiest) you are taking, unless you are 100% sure there are no gods.

I am just as certain that there is no Tooth Fairy as I am that there is no Christian God.  Absolutely convinced beyond any reasonable doubt. It's fiction.

I'm only relatively certain that there are no gods at all. 

Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
This is the image that flashes in my mind every time I think of you blue button pushers.  ;)

I could be a real bad ass if my wife would let me ride a motorcycle.  Damnit.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
I could be a real bad ass if my wife would let me ride a motorcycle.  Damnit.

I'm taking mine to the next Freethought Convention in Texas this year. If I see you there I'll toss you my key so you can joy-ride. Your wife would be non the wiser.  ;)
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Austin, right?

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
Blue, largely because I've already taken a vow to do exactly that thing.  I'd prefer to "worship" the beings already burning than the one who put them there.  I might very well regret it from a pain point of view, but not from a doing-the-honourable-thing point of view.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
Something that I just thought of however with all the buzz going on about the hypothetical of God proven to be real, I think this is the topic that has in a sense polarized an otherwise uniformed great set of minds where we are now at each other's throats a little bit.

Just check out some of HAL's posts in the other thread as examples.

Agreeing with Astreja, my curious thought to the Red Buttons, I wonder what you would have done if you lived in Europe during the 1930's-1940's, especially since, despite being a hypothetical, has actually happened in real life, which is why I personally can't understand HAL's stubbornness in the other thread. Then again though, you did kind of have to be insane to oppose the Nazi Regime at that period of time as well I would assume.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
Then again though, you did kind of have to be insane to oppose the Nazi Regime at that period of time as well I would assume.

I think insanity is clearly within the differential diagnosis regarding the pushing of both the red and the blue buttons.

Think about it:  You're confronted by an insanely powerful being who offers only 2 choices.  One choice is clearly horrific; the other could range from perfectly acceptable to disgusting, depending on one's perspective.  How could anyone retain their sanity in the face of such a dilemma, regardless of which button they choose?  It could well be that the mere presence of the damning blue button could engender conflicted emotions and perhaps even fear in the people who actually wanted to choose red.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +132/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
Austin, right?

Yup! They still haven't made any announcements other than the location.

Offline Bereft_of_Faith

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +39/-2
Red (as the question is posed: Biblegod is real, rejecting him means eternal torment).  Now I doubt that Biblegod, if real, has actually presented that ultimatum.  That 'either/or' seems to be largely the construction of a church intent on scaring the crap out of apostates.   But given the question: Red

@Death over Life:  I think there's a difference between collaborating with the Nazis and worshiping a god proven to be real.  The difference lies in the choice between death/collaboration vs eternal inescapable torment/worship.  I would push red on this issue only because it is implied that the all-powerful all-knowing god has passed sentence and one SHALL burn forever and ever. 

One does not need to bow to tyrants, since flight or even death is an alternative.  I would not have ever collaborated with the Nazis, that is, done their bidding and caused others to suffer, BECAUSE I would always have the option of suicide to avoid doing so.  I'd rather take my life than be responsible for sending innocent people to the death camps.  However, biblegod and eternal punishment offers NO alternative.  If you tried to run you could never get away.  You can't hide, and most of all, death is no escape.

It is the everlasting torture aspect of this question that would have me pressing the red button.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
I'm debating this here because the others are even though it was said not to ...

Agreeing with Astreja, my curious thought to the Red Buttons, I wonder what you would have done if you lived in Europe during the 1930's-1940's, especially since, despite being a hypothetical, has actually happened in real life, which is why I personally can't understand HAL's stubbornness in the other thread. Then again though, you did kind of have to be insane to oppose the Nazi Regime at that period of time as well I would assume.

My stubbornness comes from my belief that people playing tough saying they would press a button that would result in eternal torture with NO POSSIBLE way to stop it is not honest of them. It's just ridiculous and not in any way indicative of human nature and self-preservation and really just completely stupid.

Tell me oh wise one - what's the difference between trying to oppose the Nazis and trying to oppose a god? Take your time.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Am I the only one who notices the buttons are the same color?
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17

Well press one or the other. You have a 50% chance of avoiding eternal torture.

Offline lotanddaughters

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-21
  • Artist: Simon Vouet (1633)
Red, and I cannot believe the score is this close because in reality, it isn't.
Enough with your bullshit.
. . . Mr. Friday . . . that post really is golden.

Offline Kimberly

• Reader
  • Darwins +78/-1
    • I am a Forum Guide
Please remember:
This thread is not to debate the hypothetical, just submit your vote and discuss it HERE if you wish to debate the hypothetical.
:police:
Thank you for considering my point of view; however wrong it may be to you.

Offline pamindfw

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
I picked blue. same outcome as far as i'm concerned.
Everyone is godless.

Offline Yami Prem

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Picked Red, but the evidence has to be extraordinary...  :)

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
I wqonder how many religious people have voted. And, I love that this topic (and not the other one) seems to have gotten "new" people to join just so they can vote.

I think it would've been more concise if limited to atheists only, and non-new members. If they are even new to begin with.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline lomolo

• Student
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • WWGHA Member
I think it would've been more concise if limited to atheists only, and non-new members. If they are even new to begin with.
Theists I can understand. Well, sort of - the question doesn't really make any sense when posed to someone already believing in Biblegod, but I imagine they would press red anyway.

But why not new members? Or are you saying that someone's skewing the vote by signing up new accounts?

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23

Nope, that's been my argument on the other two threads.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Online bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
Honest sincere answer is blue, it has nothing to do with being a bad arse.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline meo

Red.
Knowing that I would regret it if I pick blue, and knowing there's no way for me to get out, also knowing that I won't benefit anyone in any shape of form including myself to choose blue, and based on Hal's question (if anyone is actually reading his posts) there's actually a choice cause you don't have to be sincere, I would be incredibly stupid to choose blue.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 11:55:53 AM by meo »

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
Red.
Knowing that I would regret it if I pick blue, and knowing there's no way for me to get out, also knowing that I won't benefit anyone in any shape of form including myself to choose blue, and based on Hal's question (if anyone is actually reading his posts) there's actually a choice cause you don't have to be sincere, I would be incredibly stupid to choose blue.

I applaud your reasoning. Quite sound and rational.

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +324/-84
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
Theists I can understand. Well, sort of - the question doesn't really make any sense when posed to someone already believing in Biblegod, but I imagine they would press red anyway.

But why not new members? Or are you saying that someone's skewing the vote by signing up new accounts?

I'm implying it, not out-right saying it. I'm not Hal, I don't think I know everything, nor can I read other peoples minds. Only Hal seems to be able to do those things, apparently.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
I'm implying it, not out-right saying it. I'm not Hal, I don't think I know everything, nor can I read other peoples minds. Only Hal seems to be able to do those things, apparently.

I can't read minds, yet I know you won't pick eternal torture, just like I know you won't allow a dentist to drill into a tooth with an active nerve. It's called predictable human nature. You can extrapolate what's in store and since you are not insane (no, your just a brave keyboard artist) you won't do either one of those things. You are one of the most predictable people on the forum, not the least predictable.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4

I can't read minds, yet I know you won't pick eternal torture, just like I know you won't allow a dentist to drill into a tooth with an active nerve. It's called predictable human nature. You can extrapolate what's in store and since you are not insane (no, your just a brave keyboard artist) you won't do either one of those things. You are one of the most predictable people on the forum, not the least predictable.

Have you heard of sadomasochism? How about meditation? This whole hypothetical is clearly mental. Not every human being fits your view of peace, love, and crabs humans.

Online bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +52/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
By positing that the biblegod is known by all to exist in the hypothetical you have changed the scenario from one of whether a god exists to whether a god is worthy, would you wish to spend eternity worshiping something you find repugnant.

By specifying the biblegod in this scenario, it must come with all it's baggage.
So the choices become give up my free will and becoming an automaton to a creature I loath, (according to Christians you only feel joy and love in heaven) no longer being me anymore.
Or keep your mind and dignity and go to hell, and eternal damnation. With all the pain it may entail, thus giving biblegod the finger, for eternity. I'd go with the latter.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
By positing that the biblegod is known by all to exist in the hypothetical you have changed the scenario from one of whether a god exists to whether a god is worthy, would you wish to spend eternity worshiping something you find repugnant.

No it's not that simple and you damn well know it.

By specifying the biblegod in this scenario, it must come with all it's baggage.

Here we go again. Time and time again you people change the hypothetical to suit the answer you want to give. What baggage did I say it had in the hypothetical? How do you know it has all the "baggage" that's in the Bible? The book may well be wrong in many areas because the men who wrote it may be mistaken. I did not state the Bible was true or false in the hypothetical. All, and I do mean all, you have to go on is what i said in the hypothetical. Please go make up your own if you wish to do so, meanwhile stop fucking around with mine.

So the choices become give up my free will and becoming an automaton to a creature I loath, (according to Christians you only feel joy and love in heaven) no longer being me anymore.

That's not what the hypothetical says. You just made up a bunch 'o shit.

Or keep your mind and dignity and go to hell, and eternal damnation. With all the pain it may entail, thus giving biblegod the finger, for eternity. I'd go with the latter.

You just answered based on a bunch of shit you made up, so your answer is worthless.