Author Topic: How do I answer this rebuttal?  (Read 439 times)

Offline Benny

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-1
  • Hugs And Love
    • My YouTube channel
How do I answer this rebuttal?
« on: June 13, 2012, 03:45:29 PM »
Talking to a theist/family friend about the evolution of giraffes.  He contends that natural selection doesn't apply to the giraffe neck, because giraffes with taller necks can eat the leaves at the top of the trees and giraffes with shorter necks can eat leaves closer to the ground, thereby occupying different ecological niches.  Can somebody help me here?
I'm here every now and again.
We're gonna rock down to Alexis Avenue, he makes the score go higher!

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: How do I answer this rebuttal?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 03:49:07 PM »
Random chance. Taller giraffes bred while the shorter ones didn't. Or maybe the shorter ones were hunted down because they weren't as quick or intimidating.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 03:52:22 PM »
Or other species eat the lower branches. The taller the giraffe, the more food they have available that other herbivores can't reach. Otherwise, a short-necked giraffe is competing with reeboks and other species that can stand on their hind legs and reach to that mid-height level.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Poseidon

• Graduate
  • Darwins +24/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 04:04:29 PM »
Benny;  I might be a dummy because I do not understand the giraffe problem. Of course to hell a short necked one eats leaves from the lower branches. What can that possibly have to do with the ecological or evolutionary propositions?  I mean Shaquille O'neal can eat from the top of the tree if he wants to. Whereas I am a much shorter person and I eat from the more accessable lower branches.  Soooo?

The guys giraffe argument is so sorrowfully feeble that it does not deserve a rebuttal.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +285/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 04:07:13 PM »
BTW, if your family friend's purpose is to "disprove" evolution by showing that one single species out of the hundreds of million that we know of didn't evolve, he's probably better off with sharks.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +888/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2012, 04:07:53 PM »
Ask your friend why aren't there any short-necked giraffes.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Gnu Ordure

• Fellow
  • Darwins +109/-9
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2012, 05:19:51 PM »
My bold:
Talking to a theist/family friend about the evolution of giraffes.  He contends that natural selection doesn't apply to the giraffe neck, because giraffes with taller necks can eat the leaves at the top of the trees and giraffes with shorter necks can eat leaves closer to the ground, thereby occupying different ecological niches.  Can somebody help me here?
Another problem is that there's no Law to stop the longer-necked giraffes eating from the lower branches as well.

Offline Benny

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-1
  • Hugs And Love
    • My YouTube channel
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2012, 06:05:04 PM »
Or other species eat the lower branches. The taller the giraffe, the more food they have available that other herbivores can't reach. Otherwise, a short-necked giraffe is competing with reeboks and other species that can stand on their hind legs and reach to that mid-height level.

Another problem is that there's no Law to stop the longer-necked giraffes eating from the lower branches as well.

This should work.  Thanks, guys, and Darwins to you both.
I'm here every now and again.
We're gonna rock down to Alexis Avenue, he makes the score go higher!

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !