Author Topic: RE: Contradictions in the jesus resurrection?  (Read 4690 times)

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +557/-17
  • WWGHA Member
Re: RE: Contradictions in the jesus resurrection?
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2012, 10:35:21 AM »
euroclydon: Your statement that the rules are not a one-way street is irrelevant to what screwtape told you.

Since you're so fond of logic, I'll put it in the form of a logical argument:
  • You are a member of this forum.
  • Members of this forum are instructed to follow the instructions of staff members, per the WWHGA Forum Rules.
  • Therefore, you are obligated to follow the instructions of a staff member, such as screwtape.
There's no false dilemma involved here.  You either obey the rules of the forum, or you'll face the consequences of not doing so; there's no third option involved.

Offline euroclydon

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-14
  • WWGHA Member
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2012, 10:37:56 AM »
euroclydon: Your statement that the rules are not a one-way street is irrelevant to what screwtape told you.

Since you're so fond of logic, I'll put it in the form of a logical argument:
  • You are a member of this forum.
  • Members of this forum are instructed to follow the instructions of staff members, per the WWHGA Forum Rules.
  • Therefore, you are obligated to follow the instructions of a staff member, such as screwtape.
There's no false dilemma involved here.  You either obey the rules of the forum, or you'll face the consequences of not doing so; there's no third option involved.

THE RULES ARE NOT A ONE WAY STREET.

\IF THEY ARE FOR ME THEY ARE FOR OTHERS AND THE RUDE MODERATOR>

Offline euroclydon

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-14
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2012, 10:39:28 AM »
There's no false dilemma involved here.

I WAS REFERRING TO HIS "OR" STATEMENT WITH REGARD TO MASTURBATION.

DO I HAVE TO HOLD YOUR HAND THROUGH EVERY THING I SAY?

Offline euroclydon

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-14
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2012, 10:40:41 AM »
Hypocrites liars and insulters CAN'T HANDLE having it thrown back at them.

That's why I got a personal message,

Don't make me go over there and enforce your rules for you

He's supposed to be a moderator, isn't he?

Well, what is he throwing out false dilemmas for, huh?

To teach you how to reason?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 10:42:57 AM by euroclydon »

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2012, 10:44:20 AM »

Don't make me go over there and enforce your rules fore you

Is this comment truly necessary. I will admit that in this thread I made a comment not necessary or constructive, and for that I'll. apologize.[1]

Seriously, euro. Just relax about the whole thing and carry on with the conversation regarding contradictions about Jesus' resurrection. A mod stepped in, and mod made a comment. Challenging a mod's comment in thread is a no-no. I present to you:

Staff instructions must be followed. In-thread discussion of staff instructions or any Moderator action relating to a member is not allowed. Flames, abuse, and impersonation of staff will not be tolerated.
http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,21732.0.html

(second bullet under the staff heading)

-Em
 1. If the mods see this, perhaps delete post number 18. It's not constructive.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 10:46:51 AM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline euroclydon

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-14
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2012, 10:47:31 AM »

Don't make me go over there and enforce your rules fore you

Is this comment truly necessary. I will admit that in this thread I made a comment not necessary or constructive, and for that I'll. apologize.[1]

Seriously, euro. Just relax about the whole thing and carry on with the conversation regarding contradictions about Jesus' resurrection.

-Em
 1. If the mods see this, perhaps delete post number 18. It's not constructive.

A voice of reason.

If there are any shining stars in this forum, they are rendered invisible by the overcast of crass insults towards Christianity by multiple users and a moderator.

"Multiple Users and a Moderator." sounds like a bad movie.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +557/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2012, 10:49:09 AM »
THE RULES ARE NOT A ONE WAY STREET.

\IF THEY ARE FOR ME THEY ARE FOR OTHERS AND THE RUDE MODERATOR>
First, caps are not necessary.  They simply represent an immature response by someone who's upset.

Second, while you may not appreciate what screwtape said, that in no way alleviates your responsibility to follow his instructions.  At the risk of repeating myself, you're a forum member, and forum members must follow the instructions of staff members.  Screwtape gave you an instruction; you don't have the right to ignore what he said.  If you don't like it, I suggest you report him to the other staff members.

Third, I'm curious.  How is what screwtape said a false dilemma?  I'd like to hear the reasoning behind it.

Offline euroclydon

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-14
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2012, 11:00:18 AM »
Third, I'm curious.  How is what screwtape said a false dilemma?  I'd like to hear the reasoning behind it.

First, I use all caps for emphasis where I feel necessary.

Second...

What you are doing amounts to to preaching, if I am being generous, or masturbation, if I am not being generous.

2A. Why doesn't the moderator have to follow the rules about insulting people? He's a hypocrite.

2B. The "or" in his statement establishes what is know as a Logical Disjunction. In a Logical Disjunction, it is possible for one or both operands to be true. But there are other possible operands, e.g. I was merely posting events in a proper organized manner.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +557/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2012, 11:39:14 AM »
First, I use all caps for emphasis where I feel necessary.
I could see using all caps to emphasize individual words, though to be blunt, you're better off using text formatting.  But nobody is going to believe that you put an entire post in all caps merely for "emphasis".  That comes across as yelling, which is immature as I said.

Quote from: euroclydon
Second...

What you are doing amounts to to preaching, if I am being generous, or masturbation, if I am not being generous.

2A. Why doesn't the moderator have to follow the rules about insulting people? He's a hypocrite.
Looking through the rules about posting, I don't see a single thing in there about not insulting people.  There is a rule about avoiding inappropriate material, but it gives examples such as libel; racist, sexist, and homophobic comments; and excessive vulgarity.  In any case, if you feel he was breaking the rules with his post, you should report it, not pitch a public fit.

Quote from: euroclydon
2B. The "or" in his statement establishes what is know as a Logical Disjunction. In a Logical Disjunction, it is possible for one or both operands to be true. But there are other possible operands, e.g. I was merely posting events in a proper organized manner.
I know what the 'or' statement means in logic.  What I wanted was your justification for why his statement was a false dilemma.  Which, in fairness, you've given; however, I don't agree with your reasoning.  He stated that he saw your posts as preaching or (verbal) masturbation, depending on how generous he felt like being, and told you in no uncertain terms to speak more plainly.  For all practical purposes, your posts were preaching - ala, incorporating large amounts of religious proclamations and texts without the intent of debating their validity or supporting them with external evidence.  They were also walls of text and were hard to follow, thus his injunction to use plain language.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +269/-31
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2012, 11:40:35 AM »
"My room-mate is either out with her mother, or with her friends" is only a false dilemma if the logic is all there is.  It can also be a statement of observation.  If my room-mate told me that she was thinking of either going out with friends, or to her mother's place (or if I'd frequently observed this pattern), then the bolded statement is empirically grounded.  It is a statement about something that was observed.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline euroclydon

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-14
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #39 on: July 03, 2012, 11:43:56 AM »
Looking through the rules about posting, I don't see a single thing in there about not insulting people.

You didn't get my private message from the moderator team.

Secret rules are difficult for everybody to follow.

A few of the members have rightfully stated that my Leviticus inquiry (for example) in no way "validates Leviticus". The linear application of Aves, Mamalia, Insecta does that on its own.

The inquiry, most of what I post, is really about, and pointing to examples of, human reasoning: it is inherently flawed.

While mankind has the potential to reason, it is his nature to react emotionally to a text they dislike, for other reasons, as opposed to using known facts in a manner to logically understand the text.

"I am hungry, I want to eat."

"I am sleepy."

"I want sex."

"I disagree. I want to attack."

"I feel insecure."

Those are the elements driving human "reasoning", for the most part.

I am weighing your logic. A few of you are OK.

The rest of you aren't even close.

Offline euroclydon

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-14
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #40 on: July 03, 2012, 11:57:56 AM »
"My room-mate is either out with her mother, or with her friends" is only a false dilemma if the logic is all there is.  It can also be a statement of observation.  If my room-mate told me that she was thinking of either going out with friends, or to her mother's place (or if I'd frequently observed this pattern), then the bolded statement is empirically grounded.  It is a statement about something that was observed.

If that is true, then in order for his claim of "observation" to be true, he will be required to provide examples in which he personally:

A. Observed me preaching

B. Observed me masturbating.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +269/-31
« Reply #41 on: July 03, 2012, 02:32:09 PM »
No, in order for his claim to be demonstrated, he would be required to provide those examples.  Whether or not it is true does not depend on whether or not he has demonstrated it.

As an aside, "masturbation" was clearly meant figuratively.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +655/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #42 on: July 03, 2012, 02:39:14 PM »
I have explained to euroclydon what I meant and that moderator action should be discussed by PM. 

Let's please get this back on topic.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline BaalServant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Praise Ba'al really hard!
« Reply #43 on: July 03, 2012, 04:38:01 PM »

FALLACY: Loaded Question.

Quote…

"How am I to get in?" asked Alice again, in a louder tone.

"Are you to get in at all?" said the Footman, "That's the first question, you know."

…Unquote

Source: Lewis Carroll, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, Ch. 6.
Form:

A question with a false, disputed, or question-begging presupposition.

As you can already see, I will post where ever I see fit, at ay time, and I post on a wide range of subjects

It's not loading a question to say that you're putting words into the bible's mouth when you try to pretend certain things were meant to be said.

I'm well aware that you will post whatever suits your whim.  Your posts are worthless, however, unless you can actually address the topic at hand. 

You've already shown that a coat can be blue, as well as red, as well as black.  You've asked us to consider that different people wouldn't bother to describe all the colors of the coat.

I'm now asking you to consider another contradiction of the resurrection myth. 

Who was seen at the tomb? 

Was it an angel of the lord that descended and sat upon the giant stone?

Was it a man inside the tomb?

Was it two glowing men inside the tomb?

Was there no one at the tomb?

.   ###$$$$$$$$$$$$###
   ################
   ###  PRAISE BA'AL  ####
 #### FOR THE ALTAR ####
##### OF BA'AL!!!!!! #####
####################

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2012, 12:05:47 AM »
removed.  I don't feel like being funny after seeing the heavy moderation..
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline BaalServant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2012, 12:32:49 AM »

Save it for chatter threads, then.  I'm interested in hearing euroclydon's explanation (or anyone else's) as to how a contradiction isn't a contradiction, or their admittance that a contradiction is a contradiction, accompanied by their acceptance of the resulting conclusions.

If you have a beef with any mods, a pm to them describing your beef would be the best way to convey your disapproval. 
.   ###$$$$$$$$$$$$###
   ################
   ###  PRAISE BA'AL  ####
 #### FOR THE ALTAR ####
####################

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2012, 05:55:07 PM »

Save it for chatter threads, then.  I'm interested in hearing euroclydon's explanation (or anyone else's) as to how a contradiction isn't a contradiction, or their admittance that a contradiction is a contradiction, accompanied by their acceptance of the resulting conclusions.

If you have a beef with any mods, a pm to them describing your beef would be the best way to convey your disapproval.
I think you got me wrong, dude.  I removed the post because I was going to make fun of euroclydon.  However, seeing the mods were having a look at said user, I decided to keep it clean.  It wasn't 'disapproval of the mods', it was merely 'acceptance that this topic is being moderated, and so I shouldn't go a-bashing a-people...'

Actually I don't know how your brain arrived at the above in response to me removing my joke, other than you're already irate at said euroclydon...
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline BaalServant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2012, 12:58:15 PM »
I think you got me wrong, dude.  I removed the post because I was going to make fun of euroclydon.  However, seeing the mods were having a look at said user, I decided to keep it clean.  It wasn't 'disapproval of the mods', it was merely 'acceptance that this topic is being moderated, and so I shouldn't go a-bashing a-people...'

How would making fun of euroclydon further the discussion?

Why would it be ok to 'go a-bashing a-people' if they weren't being moderated?

Actually I don't know how your brain arrived at the above in response to me removing my joke, other than you're already irate at said euroclydon...

I'm not irate at euroclydon, or you.  I'm pointing out to euroclydon that their excessively wordy posts don't remove a contradiction from a contradictory story.  I'm pointing out to you that pointless posts are pointless.

.   ###$$$$$$$$$$$$###
   ################
   ###  PRAISE BA'AL  ####
 #### FOR THE ALTAR ####
####################

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2012, 05:04:54 PM »
I'm not irate at euroclydon, or you.  I'm pointing out to euroclydon that their excessively wordy posts don't remove a contradiction from a contradictory story.  I'm pointing out to you that pointless posts are pointless.
Exactly.  That is what I just tried to say to you about what I was going to post here.  It would have served no real purpose.  In other areas of the forum, however, I am free to joke around.  I just caught this before the damage was done, unless you want to go back and forth saying the same things over and over.  I was under the assumption that me removing that post would cause people to ignore it accordingly, rather than shifting the discussion to it.  Now please, stop boring over technicalities and go on with your debate.  I'll say it a different way, just so we've covered every way of saying it - I felt the post to be inappropriate.  Thank you - go serve baal or something.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2012, 07:56:05 AM »
This guy is clearly insane. It's quite amusing how he actually thinks his babble means something.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +523/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2012, 09:27:09 AM »
May I cut to the chase here:

Mark says 2+2=4 and 6-3=4
John says 5x2=15 and 7-3-4
Matthew says 4+3=6 and 3x4=12
Luke says 8-5=3 and 4+2=7

Who shall we trust to be our math teacher?

I say that the car was going fast and turned west.
You, standing next to me at the time, say that the car was a truck, was travelling slowly and turned east
John, who was with us then, says that there was no vehicle there at all

Please tell me what actually happened.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 09:29:37 AM by Graybeard »
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”