Author Topic: Hello  (Read 655 times)

Offline euroclydon

• Student
  • Darwins +1/-14
  • WWGHA Member
  • User posts join approval queueModerated
Hello
« on: June 12, 2012, 09:02:53 AM »
This is where I should have started. Forgive me.

My real name is Phillip and I am 43 years old.

If I seem distracted, it is because I am very excited about having moved to the GNU/Linux Operating System after years of Microsoft Windows.

Trisquel -> Archbang -> Lubuntu -> etc

Admittedly, Windows has served me for many years, but I prefer the flexibility and freedom that comes with Linux.

I used to say, "I hate Linux." Now, I say, "I hate Windows."

Linux gaming has improved quite a bit also.

OpenArena

My experience on YouTube taught me that there are crass people out there.

Not all atheists are like this, but I brought my experiences to this forum and began applying them as though everybody here is crass also.

That was error on my part, and I will endeavor to assume that you are all fair-minded and rational individuals.

I will be back, and I will be kicking it up a notch today with an introduction to what are called Truth Tables.

Sample Truth Table:

I doubt they will be that complex, with the exception of one.

I would recommend becoming familiar with these, as I will be incorporating them into my arguments in certain cases beginning today.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2012, 10:17:52 AM »
Well, welcome to the forums. :)

I find that this is true for many people on the net, YouTube seems to be a hot bed for it - we find YouTube's theists to be quite crass too, but I think it's easy to find somebody irritating on YouTube and thus I try to avoid their debates on there. I will say this though, heated discussions happen here and you will no doubt be held to account for all you say. We try to scrutinise, but I wouldn't take any of it personally or let it throw you off. If you're capable of doing the same, then I think that's a good thing. Plus I like to hear new arguments, whilst I am trying to get what you're trying to do with your approach to logic and reason, but it's not something we've had that often and hopefully I do learn something out of it. But I've already posted about my current issues. 

Generally I say to be a member of this particular forum you need thick skin. Given the number of members here and each like to make detailed posts (and some may be loaded with sarcasm), it may come to a point where you're overwhelmed by the numbers of posts, all I can say is try and do your best here, we prefer quality over quantity, so if you do struggle to keep up because of the atheist: theist ratio we have here, then just speak up. Different members do things differently and the moderation tries to operate with as much free speech as possible without it getting out of hand. Heck, we don't always agree on each others' methods of debating a topic. If somebody does step out of line, just report to a mod, it rarely happens though.

However, we do have a much 'quieter' section called 'The Shelter', which has special rules to keep things less heated and to stop people from being overwhelmed. Its access is also limited as it is in an experimental stage. Also, don't be afraid to poke your head around Chatter for something more casual. We've got a few computery types here.

On the note of Linux vs Windows, I used to dual boot Windows 7 and Ubuntu on this machine and I quite liked it, but unfortunately I didn't like the alternatives to software I need to use and so I stick to Windows, for example, even after the UI overhaul I can just can't hack using Blender for doing 3D art. Whilst Linux can do game development and that is a hobby of mine but currently my favourite tools on the market are Mac & Windows only. But the main thing I liked about Linux is that it doesn't feel as bloated to use, admittedly Windows 7 is a vast improvement from Windows Vista.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline BaalServant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Praise Ba'al really hard!
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 10:23:59 AM »
Welcome, euroclydon.  You don't have to sweat not making a thread here first, because you still have to make a few regular thread posts before being able to start a thread anyhow.

To warn you about your upcoming use of truth tables - just because things line up in the boxes doesn't mean that what lies in the outer rows and columns is true.

You could set up a truth table that outlined details of Star Wars, and everyone's  midichlorian count would still be zero.

It's good to know more people are switching to Linux.  The more people actually understand what it is they make themselves dependent on, the better off everyone is.
.   ###$$$$$$$$$$$$###
   ################
   ###  PRAISE BA'AL  ####
 #### FOR THE ALTAR ####
##### OF BA'AL!!!!!! #####
####################

Online Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 04:10:30 PM »
Welcome to the forum!  :)

If I seem distracted, it is because I am very excited about having moved to the GNU/Linux Operating System after years of Microsoft Windows.

Linux is very awesome. I've been using it for about 12 years. I started with Mandrake then SuSE, then Slackware Fedora and now Ubuntu. Ubuntu is probably the best I've used, but I might be a little bit biased here because when I was using Mandrake and SuSE is when Linux had a bad reputation as being a nightmare for users. I believe some people still find Linux to be a nightmare but a lot if distros make the transition from Windows/Mac to Linux as seamless as possible, like Ubuntu. Many people think a user needs to know lines and lines of code to run a program, or that they need to compile a program before using it, etc. It really isn't really any reason to know even a basic thing about coding or commands to use Linux - at least not anymore. There is no need to open a command prompt now, like there used to be 10 years ago.

I used to dual boot into Windows because some of the alternative programs for Linux I was unhappy with. I used mostly Adobe Dreamweaver and Microsoft Visual Studio, but I found two alternative programs for Linux, Bluefish and Monodevelop, that I've been using now, so the only time I touch a Windows system is at work.

My husband isn't too fond of Linux but it's only because he does a lot of gaming. However there are programs like Wine and Crossover the work great on Linux, but he refuses to give them a shot. Really he's the only reason I have a Windows partition on any of my computers.

-Em
« Last Edit: June 12, 2012, 04:12:34 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Online mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +31/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 06:08:47 PM »
Take some advice and shitcan the truth tables.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2012, 06:28:44 PM »

Not all atheists are like this, but I brought my experiences to this forum and began applying them as though everybody here is crass also.

That was error on my part, and I will endeavor to assume that you are all fair-minded and rational individuals.

....that's big of you

The heartfelt apology for erroneous presumptive attitude just exudes

"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise