1 (7.7%)
We exist in a multiverse that string theory is uncovering
1 (7.7%)
I love speculating but i still do not know the answer
8 (61.5%)
God did it dummy
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Author Topic: Do you believe ...  (Read 270 times)

Offline rickymooston

Do you believe ...
« on: June 10, 2012, 08:51:56 AM »
Discuss or dont?
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline shnozzola

Re: Do you believe ...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 09:08:10 AM »
First off, I have no proof of anything.
Naturalistic biogenesis happened
               I believe evolution is the basis of it all, starting with positive and negative charges of ions.  And then throw in an incredibly long and underestimated (by theists) amount of time and “natural” experiments.
An infinite number of big bangs have occurred
              Yes, I believe this.   See Lawrence Krauss YouTube videos.
            Maybe.
I love speculating but i still do not know the answer.
            My pick.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline inveni0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-1
    • iMAGINARY god
Re: Do you believe ...
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 12:08:59 PM »
Naturalistic biogenesis happened
Definitely.  There is no question in my mind.  The universe follows rules.  Life is as natural an occurrence as salt.

The big bang came out of nothing
I can't speculate on this because my knowledge of "nothing" is based on my model of this universe.  What triggered the big bang was most likely not definable within this model.

An infinite number of big bangs have occurred
I can't speculate with any accuracy about such a thing because I do not know what triggered the big bang.  (Read above.)

I think our concept of "universe" is too restricted to start diving into "multiverse".  However, I do believe that string theory is developing a method of describing how time and space are interwoven.  This may reveal a multiverse, but not in the traditional sense, I don't think.

I love speculating but i still do not know the answer
Guessing is what makes theoretical physics fun.  I love to speculate, but I don't love purporting "truth" that is only defined by speculation.

God did it dummy
Anyone who can look at single leaf and believe that a god had the capacity to expertly craft and care for it is a fool.
http://www.imaginarygod.com

My book designed to ease kids into healthy skepticism is available for pre-order. http://www.peterskeeter.com